Start by marking “Barely Breathing (Breathing, #2)” as Want to Read:
Barely Breathing (Breathing, #2)

Barely Breathing

(Breathing #2)

4.32  ·  Rating details ·  65,760 ratings  ·  3,540 reviews
Unanswered questions. Burning desire. Heartbreaking consequences

The scandalous secrets of Emma's abuse are revealed, but she still has so much to learn out about her past. Why did her mother leave her all those years ago? What really happened the night Emma's father died? Were her memories of being happy just a dream?

The repercussions of one horrifi
Published March 14th 2013 by Razorbill (first published April 30th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Barely Breathing, please sign up.
Heather Mendell Yeah, he saved her life. Honestly this was one of my if not my favorite book series to read! I just finished the last one and now I have no idea what…moreYeah, he saved her life. Honestly this was one of my if not my favorite book series to read! I just finished the last one and now I have no idea what to do! I could have gone on reading about Evan and Emma forever I love the way Rebecca writes and the storyline!!(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Shannon Fay
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  65,760 ratings  ·  3,540 reviews

Jess (the cozy reader)
I am very sleep deprived still, having been up all night reading this book. I think I fell asleep around 4am.

Sweet Jesus, this book was just as intesnse and emotional for me as the first, love it just as much. The sequel picks up months after Emma's attack from the Evil Bitch from hell "aka" Carol, and Emma has now made the decision to live with her mother Rachel and start over. I was l
Gitte TotallyBookedBlog
I WANT TO SCREAM AND THROW LAWSON (my kindle lol) AT THE WALL WHILST I COLLAPSE IN A CRYING MESS ON THE FLOOR....I am such a drama queen but I am SERIOUS!!!! I don't even know what to say...I am angry, frustrated, happy but sad...Why do I do this to myself??!! Actually I totally blame Rebecca Donovan...her amazing writing skills draw me in and puts me through the ringer EVERY TIME!!! For that I thank her believe it or not..she is AMAZING!!!

5 stars???? I don't think so...more like 5 s
Sharon
Feb 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i have been waiting for this book once i've finished, reason to breath.
I remember finishing it, crying at 2 in the night and running to my laptop to see if this could possibly be the end, i was so glad it wasn't and then i cried some more,,.-))

Absolutely loved it, can't wait for the final installment, but please a HEA would be preferable because how much can a person suffer.
Kajal Nehra
"…you can't keep him in the dark when everything starts falling apart. You're not protecting him, you know. You're pushing him away."

Qualities of a perfect novel:
• Kiss Under Fireworks [check]
• Anger, Frustration, Pain [check]
• Action/Fight [check]
• Amazing Plot/Storyline [check]
Hot and Steamy Make-out Scene(s) [check]
Love-making in the Woods [check]
Oh gosh, this the perfect novel!

I think… I… I think I maybe in love, wi…with Evan Matthews!
I think I love Evan even more than Tobias (Divergent sernovel!
I[check]
OhSceneclass="gr-hostedUserImg">
Qualities
Tough Critic Book Reviews
"OMIGOD OMIGOD OMIGOD OMIGOD," That has been running through my head on continuous repeat ever since I read Reason to Breathe a year ago. Rebecca Donovan's famous cliffhanger, the mother of all cliffhangers, gave life and meaning to the phrase, just left hanging. With an ending like that, you would assume Ms. Donovan did nothing but set herself up for failure. I mean how can you possibly follow an ending like that without coming up short? Emma f--king died in Reason to Breathe. How the hell do y ...more
Sara
Mar 09, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
You can not imagine how disappointed I was when I got to the end of this book and found out there was going to be a third book! Here I was, thinking this was the last book when it's not. How did I miss that?! Don't get me wrong, I'll most definitely buy the next book and read it, I just didn't know there was going to be a third.

This book was a bit hard for me to read to be honest. I was so frustrated with Emma!! I can't understand why she kept letting her mother hurt her, why she let herself be
MK~ Picky Girl
I normally don't write reviews, but I felt compelled to write one about this book.. I have so many mixed feelings about Barely Breathing. I truly loved the first book of this series "Reason to Breathe" and was excited to see this would be a series. I was anticipating this book to be about overcoming the trauma that was inflicted on Emma and was disapointed to read that she had to deal with more abuse from her family. Hasn't she delt with enough? Also, the Jonathan storyline was less than desirab ...more
Alexis *Reality Bites*
QUICK REVIEW -Spoiler Free
4.5STARS
Genre: YA Romance-Mature

photo tumblr_mcvow7LfDi1r7jhsko1_500_zps48c5552b.gif

- 'His smokey blue eyes connected with mine, and he whispered,"I breathed for you"- Evan in Barely Breathing

What are you trying to do to me Ms. Rebecca Donovan?!?
So many emotions run through me after finishing this book.... Then an abundance of questions...

Barely Breathing takes place six months after the ending in the first book Reason to Breathe and that painfilled night, better kBreathing
Whatclass="gr-hostedUserImg">
Aestas Book Blog
Jul 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

WARNING: Have Xanax on hand before starting this book!!

After the brutal cliffhanger of book #1, Reason To Breathe , I was both excited and absolutely terrified to start this. I knew I was in for a roller coaster ride and boy was I right!!

So many parts of this book infuriated and frustrated me to no end but I could. not. put. it. down!!

The book started off six months after the ending of the first one. Given the circumstances of that ending, this actually made a lot of sense. But when a person goes through that
Smitten's Book Blog

Rebecca Donovan, you a cruel cruel woman! I trusted you with my heart and you ripped out once with the ending of first book, but you've truly done a number on it now... that was excruciating. But utterly delicious and pure evil on your part! What am I going to do with myself until the next book comes out?!

I read until 3.40am this morning because I was completely engrossed in this book.

I would give it five stars, if it weren't for the fact that I struggled a little with the first 20%... I felt it dragged a l
Morgan Lejeune
**SPOILER**
Okay. I read the first book and got all the way to 30% in the second book before I realized that (wait a gosh darned second!) Does Emma seem to be developing feelings for someone else? THIS CAN'T BE RIGHT!!!!! So, this prompted me to run to GoodReads and check the reviews before continuing (which I normally don't forget to do before I start a new book, but the first one in the series left me hanging something terrible). Upon my investigation of the reviews what do I do find, but
Jen
Well, I finally finished this gut wrenching, emotional tale. I have decided that I must write this review to put some amount of closure on this book before I can even attempt to begin my day. (which; by the way, it is 2pm and I am still in my jammies!!LOL) Nothing has gotten done in my house, and no one has really exsisted since I started this story! I must say that Rebecca Donovan knows how to write a story with such powerful emotion, that it is impossible not to get caught up in it. I was amaz ...more
Jessica's Book Review
Jul 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite
Read more reviews on my blog | Like me on Facebook

OMG, OMG, OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ms. Rebecca Donovan, I am so mad at you!!! Your endings are killing me! I must find out about Emma & Evan. How can you leave me hanging like that?!?! I spent many late nights and early mornings following your characters and beautiful books and now I must wait!

If I had known there will be a third book I would of waited to read this book. I hate the cliff hanger in the series! I am so involved now
Rosie B
Mar 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My original review:
This is coming out just before my exams...I'm probably going to fail :|

After reading:
I was really anticipating this book's release so I downloaded it as soon as I saw that it was available. I read it a lot faster than I read the first one; it didn't seem as long but there was a lot more going on. I found it quite hard to keep up in some parts and at times it felt a bit rushed, but it was still a very exciting and emotional read.

*Potential SPOILER*...
Jasmine
After that ending in the first book, I was feeling both glad and devastated for Emma. To begin with, she seemed to finally gain her control over herself and got out of that terrible house. However, moving in with her mother, who obviously wasn't responsible for her well-being and was drunk most of the time, was just the beginning of another miserable stage of her life. I couldn't help but wondered why on earth could Emma be so frustrated and helpless all the time?

Anyway, all we need to know
Christy
Jul 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not sure how to review this book... After reading the first book yesterday and this book today I feel like an emotional wreck. It was a great book, but I really hated the ending, knowing there is a third book coming and this is not officially the ending makes me feel a little better
Siiri (Little Pieces of Imagination)
*angry spoilers ahead*

(view spoiler) ...more
Lisa
Aug 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: loved, indie
After finishing Reason to Breath and Barely Breathing I feel completely out of breath. Rebecca Donovan played with my emotions like I was ivory and she was Chopin.

Barely Breathing was raw, heartbreaking and frankly, I was just waiting for Emma to completely lose it through a good portion of the book. The ending left me completely HANGING, I mean hanging! I think Donovan just stuck my hands to the monkey bars with some super glue and left me until she releases Out of Breath. If there
Kellie Maddox-Ward
**Slight Spoilers**

I am totally right now!!

Rebecca Donovan YOU ARE A GENIUS! I know the book is called "Barely Breathing" but I think it should be changed to "Extreme Hyperventilating."

Where to start where to start...
*Deep breath in*
*Deep breathe out*

Ok Calm now...

Holy shit what a great sequel!

It has been 6 months since the night Em's aunt killed tried to kill her. She has been found guilty and is in jail. Letting Emily try and get on with her life.

Evan is still right besides her, being the amazing supporting person that heSpoilers**
Bayan Basri
I really truly absolutely loathed this book... why?

*Emma is supposed to be this rational smart girl that thought things through, I don't know what seemed rational about agreeing to moving in with her mother just like that when she didn't want anything to do with her, but she got what she deserved(view spoiler)

*Jonathan...I hated everything
Michelle
Jun 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Emma's entire world shifted at the end of book one. She always thought she would know when things got to the point where she could not handle it and then she would make that hard choice. But in reality Emma never escapes. Her nightmares - her fears don't stay within the walls of that house.

But Emma is still that girl that tries to push it all down. She still can't trust anyone to expose them to the reality of what she experienced.

In Barely Breathing you get to see the aftermath of the destruction her abuse caused. You watch her a slow cycle of abuse continue. A girl that is still so certain that she knows just how much hurt and pain she can take before it gets to be too much. A girl who is suddenly faced with having to face her demons and deciding if she will keep allowing herself to be hurt and to hurt others.

This book was one that I could not put down. It was like that accident on the side of the road that you just can't seem to turn your head away from. I don't even think my mind has fully accepted what I read or if any of these emotions have even begun to register. This series so far has left me with a heavy feeling sitting on my chest.

In Emma's attempts as fixing herself and trying to fix the broken pieces of her past, before the abuse, she is forced to see the reality of what led her to that house. The back and forth between Jonathan had my head spinning. It was one bad decision after another - but at the same time I could understand it (which just sort of pissed me off even more).

I think I went through every emotion while reading this book and although I have the third book just sitting a few feet away, I don't think that I will have closure from this series for some time.
Berry ♡ Nice
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Crying. That's how I finished this book. As I just finished I am unable to put into words how I feel about this book.
3 stars? 5 stars? Maybe 4 just to find a balance...Yes. This is a ramble

I DO NOT know if I'll finish this series. I don't think I can handle anymore and I'm definitely not the type to leave any series unfinished (even the ones that suck I finish) BUT this one doesn't suck.. Not even a little.

Maybe I'll just QUIT reading indefinitely

I love angst! I really do but I'm beginning to
Lady Vigilante (Feifei)
So after that brutal cliffhanger in book 1 I stopped everything I was doing and jumped into book 2 like it was the end of the world. I knew this would be one heck of a rollercoaster ride and boy, was I right!

The story starts off six months after the events of book 1. While Emma’s physical wounds have healed properly, the emotional damage left a permanent mark on her soul. In the spur of a moment, she makes the effort to reconnect with her mother, Rachel, and moves in with her, creating many problems. An
Brittany
Mar 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-favorites
Well....I was so excited for this book to come out. I LOVED It and read it in one day. I was really hoping though that Emma and Evan could have developed more of a relationship than they did in this book and I am praying that book three will dive head first into their love story. I need me some Evan and Emma LOVE!!! :) the book was great but I need more!!!!
The reason for the 4 star rating instead of five is because I want more Emma and Evan!!!
Ps I hate the Jonathan character. Creep.
Sali
Apr 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OMFG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AGAIN !!!!!!!!! SHE DID IT TO ME AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK I just finished this book a minute ago so im in totally emo book fuzz right now so this review will b sll over the place & might not make much sense lol

ok ive been stipped totally bare emotionally over the past 2 days reading this book !!!!
if u r looking for a good fluffy read then .....RUN ! RUN AWAY LOL this is not the book 4 u !!!!

ok so i read this boo
Sandra
Mar 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: readers who like romance with a lot of drama, and don't hate books with abuse
4.5 STARS

This is probably the most depressing book, i have ever read in my life. When you read this, it's like you can : feel the pain, and all the sadness, all those emotions are just pouring out of the pages.

This is how I pictured the main protagonist, Emma
 photo 65efaeac-5412-4d60-b607-1a349b4ca989_zps2596</u></b></span>
  <span id=4.5 STARS

This is how I pictured the main protagonist, Emma
 photo 65efaeac-5412-4d60-b607-1a349b4ca989_zps25968d33.jpg"
And this is how i kinda pictured Ethan, delete the tiny beard though.
 photo 24da2dc9-6677-4291-a768-9440dd3e832f_zps5087586c.jpg"

Barely Breathing is the second book in the heartbreaking Breathing trilogy, by Rebecca Donovan. May i just say, this is absolutely MASSIVE, it's the biggest book i ever read, it has nearly 600 pages! But i actually manged to get through it fairly quickly, only took me about 3 days. It follows this 17 year old girl, named Emma, and it's basically about what she has suffered at the hands of her 'family', and how she is dealing with it. To sum it up, in the simple but really bad way, it's about her tragic life, and what she is going through.

To those of you who haven't read book one, it has first love in it, drama, romance, friendship stuff, and it has some serious abuse. If you're interested then i highly suggest you check it out Reason to Breathe, and find out more in deeper detail.

It starts a couple of months from where we left of in book one, i wasn't very happy about that, but now come to think of it, i think the author did the right thing. I couldn't really get into it, it was very boring at first. But after some 100 pages, it got better and better throughout the book, thanks goodness for that!
Happy
"

To be honest, i wouldn't be surprised to find out if someone hated this book or the previous one. They are definitely not for readers who love lot's of action and excitement, and especially happy books. So if you are one of those readers, run away from this book as far and as fast as you can.

I think what's the best thing about this trilogy, are the characters. It's so hard not to feel compassion towards at least one of them. And when you fall for one of the character, you will most likely fall for the others too. I cared about Emma and Ethan very deeply, i obviously had to know what's going to happen to them, so i just kept on reading. Even though Emma is the most depressing main character, she is still funny and so lovable. Her life is so tragic it's almost unreal. One bad thing after the other, i feel so sorry for her.

I was very happy, as there were many romantic and heart-melting scenes between Emma and Ethan. I actually did my happy dance, because they were still together, and they even got closer too!

Girl Happy Dance"

Now comes the dreadful moment- The ending. Rebecca has made it a habit now, of ending her well going books with cliffhangers, and making her readers want to throw the book out the window. She always ends them in a very sad and crushing way. I despise her for it! I was so frustrated at the end!

[image error]

I knew how much Evan loved me. And I knew I didn't deserve it. But I also knew he was the only one I loved. The only one I would ever love.”

Overall, Barely breathing was an extremely well written and thought provoking read. I couldn't stop reading it, and even though there was not much action, i couldn't help but jump from the excitement sometimes. Highly recommend you picking up book 1, if you haven't already, before reading book 2. I can't wait to see what happens next, and what Rebecca has in stock for us. If book 3 won't have a happy ending, then i am never gonna read anything by this author again, and i will even contact her about how selfish she is by not giving Emma the 'happily ever after' with Ethan she really deserves.
Morgan
Feb 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 3-stars, 4-stars

WOW! That was totally, one hundred percent not what I expected. I am in shock right now. I, flat-out, did not see that coming!

First off, I loved Reason to Breathe, the first novel in The Breathing Series. It was an intense, explosive story. While reading Reason to Breathe, I fell head over heels for Emma and Evan. Watching them fall in love helped balance out the dark, heavy, emotional side of the st
Marcella
I can't decide between 3 stars or 4. So it's 3.5.
This book was actually really frustrating! Every character annoyed me at one point in the book. Some more than once.

Again I wished for a duo POV but it didn't happen. I just find the one sided story from Emma like we only have half the story. Like when Evan left to California or whatever again because him and Emma were going through some things I'd love to be in his head at that moment. To see and feel what he is. Just assuming h
Ro
Mar 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have patiently been waiting for book two to come out. So today when I got home from work I immediately downloaded Barely Breathing. If you think the first one was better, well it was. But, Barely Breathing has a way of fitting all the puzzle pieces together. You know a book is amazing when you constantly scream at the character for their stupidity then applaud them for their courage.

In Barely Breathing new characters are introduced. If you've read book one and are hoping to see where ended at

• Get Me (The Keatyn Chronicles, #6)
  • Running Barefoot
  • Avoiding Responsibility (Avoiding, #2)
  • Collision Course
  • Slow Twitch (Brenna Blixen, #3)
  • Unlovable (Port Fare, #1)
  • Heart on a Chain
  • Unforgivable (Untouchable, #2)
  • Light in the Shadows (Find You in the Dark, #2)
  • Ruining You (Ruining, #2)
  • Finding Chase (Chasing Nikki, #2)
  • Dirty Red (Love Me with Lies, #2)
  • Love Unrehearsed (Love, #2)
  • Thomas & January (Sleepless, #2)
  • Vicious Circles (Wrong Reasons, #2)
  • Clash (Crash, #2)
  • Wishing for Someday Soon
  • Point of Retreat (Slammed, #2)
Optimism seeps from every pore of my body. I truly believe that what's supposed to happen... will! In that regard, I don't know how to give up; it's not part of my biological make up.

I'm a passionate (and some would say, overly enthusiastic) person. I learn by doing (and have been burned more times that I'd like to admit), but I will always throw my entire self into whatever I do - fai

Breathing (3 books)
  • Reason to Breathe (Breathing, #1)
  • Out of Breath (Breathing, #3)
“I breathed for you... I begged for you to breathe with every breath I gave to you. I kept pleading for you to breathe over and over again. And then… then you did. ~ Evan” 390 likes
“Sometimes people hurt more than they can handle... And sometimes they don't know how to ask for help. They're so caught up in their own pain, they end up hurting everyone around them.” 215 likes