Start by marking “Doctor Sleep (The Shining, #2)” as Want to Read:
Doctor Sleep (The Shining, #2)

Doctor Sleep (The Shining #2)

4.1  ·  Rating Details ·  102,431 Ratings  ·  12,835 Reviews
Grca badge winner
Stephen King returns to the characters and territory of one of his most popular novels ever, The Shining, in this instantly riveting novel about the now middle-aged Dan Torrance (the boy protagonist of The Shining) and the very special twelve-year-old girl he must save from a tribe of murderous paranormals.

On highways across America, a tribe of people called The True Knot
Published September 24th 2013 by Scribner

To ask other readers questions about Doctor Sleep, please sign up.

Danielle Yes, but you'd be doing yourself a disservice by not reading The Shining first because it is just so good.
Xepherus3 Please do not use the Shining movie as your reference to the story of the Torrances. The movie took extreme liberties with King's printed word. And…morePlease do not use the Shining movie as your reference to the story of the Torrances. The movie took extreme liberties with King's printed word. And after reading the book, I was disappointed with the film. Dick Hallorann is alive and well at the end of the Shining novel, and is a great part of Doctor Sleep. Kubrick's film is great on it's own, but the book crushes that screenplay into dust.(less)
Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareLover at Last by J.R. WardRequiem by Lauren OliverThe Indigo Spell by Richelle Mead
Can't Wait Books of 2013
75th out of 2,465 books — 12,424 voters
The Stand by Stephen KingIt by Stephen KingThe Shining by Stephen KingMisery by Stephen King'Salem's Lot by Stephen King
Best of Stephen King
45th out of 122 books — 2,763 voters

More lists with this book...

Greg
Mar 20, 2015 Greg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
(Disclosure: I used to work at Stephen King's publisher and read Doctor Sleep in December 2012.)

Get ready. If I can make just one recommendation: whether you're a longtime King fan or fairly new to his stuff, it wouldn't be the worst thing to read The Shining before you get your hands on Doctor Sleep. Seasoned fans know that the movie, while engrossing in its own right, is very different in many ways, and doesn't even begin to plumb the psychological depths that the book does. You could read an
Tiya Rosa
A sequel, huh? I didn't feel much for Danny when I was going through The Shining since Jack Torrance pretty much had me by the balls, but I guess - this being a Stephen King book - I can give it a try.

Oh, who am I kidding?

description
Kemper
Jul 30, 2015 Kemper rated it liked it
Remember that psychic little kid in The Shining? Have you ever wondered what he’d be like as an adult after surviving a haunted hotel that drove his drunken father crazy and gave him a case of the redrums? If so, you’re in luck because Stephen King has now told us what happened to Danny Torrance, and he’s just as screwed up from his experience as you’d expect him to be.

Like his father, Dan has grown up to be a bad tempered drunk, and he uses the booze to blot out his psychic powers as he drifts
Dave
Jun 03, 2016 Dave rated it did not like it
Dan: Hi, I was a total scumbag, meaning I once swiped a few bucks, a horrible horrible thing for which I'll never forgive myself, and, oh yeah, almost forgot, I used to get in bar fights all the time and I for all I know, I killed people during a blackout. Anyhoo, nowadays I'm heroic. Seriously, I'm pretty much a saint. I have magic powers and it never even crosses my mind to profit from them.

Abra: Hi, I'm a totally normal teen, you can tell because of all my pop references! Game of Thrones! Fru
Will Byrnes
Jan 01, 2015 Will Byrnes rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, stephen-king
There is a boy (now a man) a girl, a band of baddies with a charismatic leader, a coalition of the willing, battles to be fought, supernatural elements and magical powers. Stephen King was at this long before Harry Potter lived under the stairs. He has a preternatural (not to say supernatural) talent for writing kids, and can keep you turning pages, losing sleep, and getting back late to work from your lunch breaks.

We will presume for the purposes of this review that you have read, or at least s
Dan Schwent
Oct 01, 2013 Dan Schwent rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
Blythe
That cover is the epitome of perfection.

So perfect that is should be on my shelves.

Like, right now.

I'm waiting.

*stares at bookshelves*

EDIT: I'M GETTING AN ARC OF THIS MY LIFE IS OFFICIALLY MADE
D. Hilliard
Sep 26, 2013 D. Hilliard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Being a big fan of Stephen King, especially his early work, I waited with nervous anticipation for Dr. Sleep. I reread The Shining for the first time in years, just to reacquaint myself with the world of Danny Torrance and the Overlook Hotel. It was on my kindle within minutes of it being released, and I spent the past two afternoons ignoring housework in favor of diving into one of Kings rare sequels.

So how does it measure up?

The correct answer to that is “it depends.”

If you are looking for a d
Delee
I hesitated to read DOCTOR SLEEP for about a minute. I was worried that it wouldn't live up to The Shining, and everything would be ruined. RUINED!

photo 29b07314-4401-4a70-bc94-0c1a75fe7104_zps6c5aafda.jpg

Luckily that was not the case at all. I should have had more faith in Stephen King's love and respect for these characters. I am sorry for ever doubting you Stephen.

photo d5d105f4-017f-42ee-9eb7-5cc0830df130_zpsac9826ba.jpg

A tribe of people called The True Knot travel around the United States- by RV- in search of children with "The Shining". These children have what The True Knot feeds off, something they c
Becky
OMG THIS IS MY 2013 BIRTHDAY PRESENT! :D I LOVE YOU, STEPHEN KING!

-------

After Goodreads decided to unveil their new censorship policy regarding author behavior reviews and shelves (sorry, let me be accurate: NEGATIVE author behavior reviews and shelves...), I decided that I wasn't going to review on Goodreads anymore. I created a Booklikes account (Meh...) and already have a blog, and I decided that I would review there instead of on Goodreads.

But then this past week happened. Stephen King rel
Melissa Martin
MY BLOG: Melissa Martin's Reading List

THIS BOOK IS FREAKING AWESOME!

I love this is a sequel to The Shining and in the beginning of the book it goes into some things from when Danny was young.

Even though Danny, his mom and Dick Halloram survived from the tragic and (scary-as-hell) events that happened at the Overlook Hotel, some of the ghosties come back to haunt Danny.

As an adult Dan is traveling around, he's an alcoholic, and he finally lands in a nice little town. He's also trying to get sob
Madeline
Dec 27, 2013 Madeline rated it liked it
Although technically a sequel to The Shining (published in 1977 and probably Stephen King's scariest and best book - step to me, It fans), this book should not be approached as such, because in reality the two novels have very little in common besides the central characters. This isn't a bad thing - I just want to warn anyone going into this book to get rid of the "straightforward sequel" mindset. Doctor Sleep is a sequel to The Shining the way American Gods is a sequel to Anansi Boys. (that's n ...more
Arah-Lynda
Dec 25, 2015 Arah-Lynda rated it really liked it
Shelves: i-said
There is just something about Stephen King’s writing that is like the feeling I get after having been out there, working in the real world, after a hard day, fighting deadlines and traffic, often snow, lots of that, then finally coming home. I get all toasty, feet warm, comfortable, with his voice in my head.

I soon settled in and listened as he told me the story of Doctor Sleep.

Having read The Shining for the first time just last year, it was still fresh in my mind, so where King took Danny Tor
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Jul 11, 2014 Kelly (and the Book Boar) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2013
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

4.5 Stars

Have you ever caught yourself, maybe while reading a Stephen King book or maybe just at some random moment, wondering whatever happened to little Danny Torrance?

Lucky for all of us Stephen King did too. Doctor Sleep picks up where The Shining left off. It briefly covers the aftermath of the experiences at the Overlook Hotel before fast-forwarding in increments of presidential terms through Dan’s life.

If you have been a reade
Trudi

OCTOBER COUNTRY 2013 - #2

Mr. King and I (or Uncle Stevie if I may) have a loooong history that stretches back decades now. His books have become the soundtrack to my life, the novels I reach for in times of stress and grief in search of comfort and solace. Some may find that weird, considering the man's reputation as America's Boogeyman, but it's never been weird to me.

No one can spin a yarn quite like this man to keep you reading well past dark and into the wee hours of the morning. No one is
Mario
Sep 08, 2015 Mario rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, own, own-read
FEAR stands for fuck everything and run.

Was Doctor Sleep better than The Shining? No.
But it was still pretty damn close.

In The Shining Danny became one of the most interesting characters I’ve read about, so (at least in my opinion) if any character deserved a sequel, it would be him. But still, at the same time, I was afraid of not liking this book, and not liking the way King would continue Danny’s story. And now, that I’ve finished it, I can safely say that King couldn’t have done a better job
Fortneyroad.com
Aug 18, 2013 Fortneyroad.com rated it did not like it
Patricia
Sep 26, 2013 Patricia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm always filled with anticipation when Stephen King releases a new book. I saw him in person 2 years ago and he did a reading from Doctor Sleep and I've been impatiently waiting for it to be published ever since. Once it released, I totally immersed myself in it for 2 days, both reading the Kindle version and listening to the Audible version at the same time. I devoured it.

I can see such a change in King's works over the years. In 11/22/63 I think we saw a softer, gentler side of him. He was q
Mayra Sigwalt
Jul 19, 2016 Mayra Sigwalt rated it really liked it
Shelves: wishlist
Se alguma vez vc se perguntou "o que será que aconteceu com aquele menininho do Iluminado?", essa é uma leitura recomendada. Se vc não leu o Iluminado, leia primeiro. Pq esse livro vai se tratar exatamente disso, como continuou a vida de Dan Torrence, aquele menino especial e iluminado. E posso dizer que Stephen King fez juz ao personagem. A forma como ele cresce e se torna um adulto perturbado e cheio de demônios internos é de partir o coração, mas muito realista. Imagine passar por tudo aquilo ...more
Gregor Xane
Oct 07, 2013 Gregor Xane rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
Is Doctor Sleep as good as The Shining? No. Did I go in expecting it to recreate that experience? No. That would be silly. When you order thin crust pepperoni pizzas from Pizza Hut you expect the same thin crust pepperoni pizza every time. Books ain’t pizza. I would have been majorly disappointed if, in Doctor Sleep, Dan Torrance returned to a newly rebuilt Overlook Hotel with his own family just to find out that he’s his father’s son, then go nuts and try to smash everyone to pieces with a blun ...more
Dystopian
Neal Shusterman
May 23, 2015 Neal Shusterman rated it liked it
The Shining was my favorite Stephen King book when I was a teenager. I listened to the audio version of Doctor Sleep, and really enjoyed it, but somehow it didn’t live up to the Shining. Granted, our memory of books from our youths is an extremely hard act to follow. I would have given Doctor Sleep four stars, but I felt that the climax was too easy. Stephen King is a master storyteller, so I don’t cut him any slack when it comes to the conclusion!
Amy
I'm going to keep this short and try not to gush over or cry during my review of this book.

As an avid reader - one of those people who connect better to fictional characters than real people - Stephen King is like an old friend. Or a benevolent dealer. Or both. He feels like a member of the family - maybe the kind of older brother who chases you around with a spider until you cry, but then lets you have half his candy bar when you do. I stopped at about a third of the way in, gazed off into the
Wendy Darling
Holy shit. I had no idea there was a sequel!
Jadranka

King je više puta isticao da mu se s vremena na vreme dešavalo da računa koliko godina bi u datom trenutku imao Deni Torens (glavni junak popularnog romana "Isijavanje") ili bi se pitao šta bi Deni radio i kakav bi mu život bio posle dešavanja u Vidikovcu. Sigurno ste se i sami pitali nekoliko puta kada se neki film završi, šta se dešava sa glavnim junacima. Kao odgovor na ova i slična pitanja nastala je knjiga "Dr.Sleep".

Radnja se ukratko sastoji u sledećem: Deni Torens, 30tak godina nakon deša
Franco  Santos
Nov 30, 2015 Franco Santos rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stephen-king
Excelente libro. Me gustó más que El Resplandor, aunque no tienen mucha relación los dos libros. La novela no te da respiro.

description

Me atrapó desde la primera página. Reencontrarme con Danny fue muy lindo. Me encariñé mucho con Abra, también.

El final es extraordinario. Generalmente King no termina de la mejor manera sus libros, sin embargo este tiene un final perfecto. Me encantó.
Annie
Oct 03, 2015 Annie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
I was a bit apprehensive to start with. Most sequels rarely live up to the high of the preceding novel in my experience, especially when it’s the Shining we are talking about, which is THE novel of its genre, atleast it was for me. I had fear crawling like tiny six-legged invisible spiders on my neck with The Shining. The fluttering curtains scared me, even the book sat like the Grim in a corner of my study table, untouched and deliberately ignored for a long time after I was done reading with i ...more
El
Oct 27, 2014 El rated it it was ok
This is hard for me. It's like reading something by a family member that I don't think is very good, and being asked to give an honest opinion. I'm an honest person, but I still struggle on how to phrase some certain honest answers.

It's partly my fault because I re-read my beloved The Shining just last week, in anticipation of reading this, its sequel. Anyone who tells you that there's no reason to compare the two is out of their mind - tell me what other sequel, trilogy, whatever hasn't had the
Robert
Jan 26, 2014 Robert rated it liked it
Shelves: robert-s-reads
I’d like to thank Kemper and Will and Dan and Delee and Trudi for pretty much doing my job for me and writing such excellent reviews that I don’t even have to offer up one of my own. Ha, you crazy bastards, who would I be if I let you off that easily?

King might just be one crazy son of a bitch for calling this a sequel to THE SHINING (I should probably add here that I have never read said novel) when it’s about as much of a sequel as the James Bond films are to one another (especially the Pierce
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
Ok so I think Stephen King is softening up as he ages, but so I am so we are in it together. This book is not the normal King mind screw that I have grown to love. (insert scary music here)

However, I read the Shining right before reading this and I just fell all kinds of in love with little Danny Torrance's character again. I did want to know where this book would lead him. Little Danny grew up to be an alcoholic. Sad huh? I think how this was handled and probably the best part of the book for
HMSA Reads: Book Review: Doctor Sleep 2 15 Aug 15, 2016 04:13PM
Stephen King Fans: Doctor Sleep 9 77 Jun 11, 2016 09:33PM
Worth buying? (No spoilers please) 12 74 May 11, 2016 08:28AM
MOVIE!!! 41 513 Feb 20, 2016 06:36AM
Around the Year i...: Doctor Sleep, by Stephen King 5 24 Jan 04, 2016 01:46AM
Flights of Fantasy: December 2015 - Horror: Doctor Sleep by Stephen King 21 29 Dec 26, 2015 08:43PM
  • NOS4A2
  • Blaze
  • Carrion Comfort
  • The Elementals
  • Dark Echo
  • Dead Man's Song (Pine Deep, #2)
  • The Walking Dead, Vol. 22: A New Beginning
  • No One Gets Out Alive
  • Krampus: The Yule Lord
  • Stephen King Illustrated Companion Manuscripts, Correspondence, Drawings, and Memorabilia from the Master of Modern Horror
  • The Troop
  • Parasite (Parasitology, #1)
  • Draculas
  • Afraid
  • The Loveliest Dead
More about Stephen King...

The Shining (2 books)
  • The Shining (The Shining, #1)

“FEAR stands for fuck everything and run.” 656 likes
“There came a time when you realized that moving on was pointless. That you took yourself with you wherever you went.” 191 likes