Start by marking “A Story Lately Told: Coming of Age in Ireland, London, and New York” as Want to Read:
A Story Lately Told: Coming of Age in Ireland, London, and New York

A Story Lately Told: Coming of Age in Ireland, London, and New York

3.28  ·  Rating details ·  2,235 Ratings  ·  389 Reviews
Writing with an exuberant love of language and detail, Anjelica Huston shares her enchanted childhood in Ireland, her teen years in London, and her coming-of-age as a model and nascent actress in New York.

Living with her glamorous and artistic mother, educated by tutors and nuns, intrepid on a horse, Huston was raised on an Irish estate to which—between movies—her father b
Published November 19th 2013 by Scribner (first published 2013)

To ask other readers questions about A Story Lately Told, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Story Lately Told

Jason Koivu
Nov 03, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: biography
(This is an ARC that I won in a Goodreads giveaway.)

I'm mad at Anjelica Huston. I was a sideline fan of hers all these years. With this book she killed that. I was a fan of her father's and she killed that, too.

Long before Anjelica, I was a John Huston fan. As a kid, for me he was the voice of Gandalf, having played the role in the Rankin Bass adaptations of Tolkien's The Hobbit and The Return of the King. I love that man's voice and his imposing figure inspired awe when I saw him in "Chinatown.
Davytron
Dec 02, 2013 rated it it was ok
I have adored Anjelica Huston’s acting since I saw her play the Grand High Witch in the film The Witches. I found her presence to be mesmerizing and I still feel the same way about her. Also, for some reason I have always imagined her to be very cerebral. She just gives off this worldly, learned vibe.

I was both excited and apprehensive when I found out she wrote a memoir. I’m usually pretty good at separating art and artist in most cases (noted exceptions include fuck face dickhead asshole clos
Malinda Lawdahl
Aug 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
First, I must say that I mean no disrespect to the few who have won or obtained an ARC and written reviews that are of a different opinion- we all have one, and here is mine.
This memoir is beautifully written, eloquently descriptive, and provides a closer look in to the remarkable life Ms. Huston has lived.
I disagree with previous reviews stating that it could have been made in to one memoir instead of two, especially if one is not familiar with Ms. Huston's life and clearly can not fathom the i
Emily
One for sorrow,
Two for joy,
Three for a girl,
Four for a boy,
Five for silver,
Six for gold,
Seven for a secret never to be told.

Angelica Huston's memoir is named after the above nursery rhyme, although I must admit that I grew up with the above version, with the line about a secret that's never been told. I searched the internet for a bit, and found variations that say, "for a tale never to be told" but not for "a story lately told." I bring this up not because I particularly care that Ms. Huston wa
Melissa
Nov 23, 2013 rated it it was ok
Lots of names and events. Nothing of how she felt during any of it.
Pamela
Dec 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
I loved it, can 't wait for the next one. Ignore the bad ratings from the people who won the book from good reads. Clearly most of them had no interest in reading the book in the first place!!
Patrice
Jan 31, 2014 rated it did not like it
As I read this book, in the back of my mind, I kept hearing Katherine Hepburn in her patrician accent saying "Bore, bore, bore".
I thought I might enjoy this book as I'm about the same age as Huston and I was in New York in the 60's and Paris in the 70's. Wrong!
This is a very strange recitation of meaningless events. Can anyone be this superficial? She remembers what people were wearing down to their make-up, after 40 years but it seems she's learned nothing from her life. Life for her was a ser
Katrina
Dec 17, 2013 rated it did not like it
This memoir is dreadfully boring. I suppose if a reader wanted to read a catalog of furniture, artwork and estates and then a list of artists/actors who frequented your home, they may find this interesting, but I was not impressed. How did this get published?
Constance
Nov 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
I didn't think I would enjoy this memoir as much as I did. I thought I had nothing in common with a movie star that lead a charmed life in Ireland, London, and New York. My parents weren't famous, but being the same age as the author I knew I had lived this same life only on a different scale.
I highlighted what made me realize girls growing up in the 50's 60's & 70's had so much in common.
Here's what I loved most about this book

Catholic. Holy Communion.Phenobarbital.Veils.Dad lifted me up to
Mom
Jun 16, 2014 rated it liked it
I would give this book a higher rating but I don't want to give the wrong impression. I was warned that this book was meandering and hard to follow which is true in some spots. Here and there it sounds like a list of random events and in others it sounds like "these are all the important people I know." At one point I thought of sending the book on to a new owner. However, when I got to the chapter that she shared about her mother, my heart melted and I saw a new person than the one I thought sh ...more
  • That's That: A Memoir
  • Finding Florida: The True History of the Sunshine State
  • The Year of the Panda
  • The Road to Woodstock
  • Our Kind of People: A Continent's Challenge, A Country's Hope
  • America's Great Game: The CIA's Secret Arabists and the Shaping of the Modern Middle East
  • The Day Freedom Died: The Colfax Massacre, the Supreme Court and the Betrayal of Reconstruction
  • A Taste for Intrigue: The Multiple Lives of François Mitterrand
  • Fosse
  • Stet: An Editor's Life
  • Curry: A Tale of Cooks And Conquerors
Anjelica Huston is an American actress. Huston became the third generation of her family to win an Academy Award, when she won Best Supporting Actress for her performance in 1985's Prizzi's Honor, joining her father, director John Huston, and grandfather, actor Walter Huston. She also received Academy Award nominations for Enemies, a Love Story (1989) and The Grifters (1990).

Huston received Britis
More about Anjelica Huston...