Start by marking “Revelation and Dust (Star Trek: The Fall)” as Want to Read:
Revelation and Dust (Star Trek: The Fall)
Preview

Revelation and Dust (Star Trek: Typhon Pact)

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  451 ratings  ·  52 reviews
Welcome to the new Deep Space 9

After the destruction of the original space station by a rogue faction of the Typhon Pact, Miles O’Brien and Nog have led the Starfleet Corps of Engineers in designing and constructing a larger, more advanced starbase in the Bajoran system. Now, as familiar faces such as Benjamin Sisko, Kasidy Yates, Ezri Dax, Odo, and Quark arrive at the new
Published August 27th 2013 by Pocket Books/Star Trek

To ask other readers questions about Revelation and Dust, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Revelation and Dust

Alejandro
This is the first novel of a 5-part event of Star Trek titled "The Fall". Pocket Books plans to publish each book, one per month in the extent of 5 months. Each novel will cover the accountings of a week (time story). The event will use the characters of "Star Trek: The Next Generation" and "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine" combining them in one big event. So far, this first novel used the characters of DS9 and already know due news that the second novel will focus on TNG characters. I guess that in ...more
John Carter McKnight
I'd been looking forward to this book all summer: the launch of a new DS9-centered multivolume story is about as exciting as it gets. Unfortunately, this book got tossed on the return pile 100 pages in.

Nothing happens. Literally the entire first 100pp amounts to, the Cardassian head of state is called home to deal with an uprising in advance of a summit meeting, and the Federation President wants to speak to Odo for reasons unknown.

The rest is an exercise in needless backstory, appalling repet
Brian
If I could vote for something worse than 1-star, I would do it.

A horrible waste of time and dead trees. If this was an episode of a Trek television show, it would have been a "clip show". You know, the ones that recycle footage from previous episodes to make up the majority of the content. Often this comes in the form of flashbacks, "remember when". Usually this is to save on a season's production budget. Wonder what the excuse was for this novel.

Well, that's what most of this book was. Remember
Michael Blackmore
Let's just pretend I didn't spend time reading this. Since the Typhon Pact arc started in the new Star Trek novels, the books have just felt off, but still I kept reading.

I think this is the one that convinced me to just give up. The whole series of current books in this pack seem to be ham handed political/spy stuff with little of what make ST actually fun. In doses that is fine, but that is all there in the series nowadays it seems.

The worst part is the extensive flashbacks throughout often t
Abhinav
The full review can be found on my blog:

If I remember correctly, the last Star Trek novel I read, prior to James Swallow’s quite good Cast No Shadow last year in June, was some time in 2004 and it was one where the author focused on Spock and his relationship to a niece or some such character who was coming of age quite soon and was intended to be married off soon after in a bit of family politics. So its been a long time, to be generous. Cast No Shadow re
Christopher
Trash. I'm done. This hack shouldn't be writing any more. It's embarrassing for the publisher, the writer, and the characters. I will no longer be reading anything by David R. George III.

Summary of as far into this book as I got:
- "HAHA THE ASCENDENTS, THEY SURE MADE AN IMPACT ON ME." - This is a common theme for David R. George III to use in order to cover up his inability to write the DS9 characters in-character.

- Somehow all the devastation from Destiny is cleared up because a couple class
David
As with most David R. George III books, this was really hit and miss. George likes long, evocative description and character introspection, often to the point where the book drags to a halt and then needs some big event to get going again.

You get a huge amount of description of the new Deep Space Nine, a lot of characters thinking about what's happened the last two years, and a glacial pace that suddenly bursts into the big event of the novel about 60-65% of the way into the book.

And it ends wit
Daniel Kukwa
A "Star Trek" novel so compelling and adrenaline pumping that I finished it in the span of two hours and refused to put it down? Of course I'm giving it five stars! Alternating between feeling like I've experienced a magnificent new dawn for DS9, and stomach-churning astonishment at an event that turns an entire quadrant upside down, this was utterly magnificent storytelling, on the grandest scale imaginable. If the next four novels in the sequence are even half as good as this opening installme ...more
Patrick Hayes
This is the first book in a series, so if you're expecting any kind of climax, you're going to be disappointed. However, if you go into this knowing it's only the start of a saga, it's not bad.

Deep Space Nine has been rebuilt, looking a tad different and a lot bigger, and is about to be formally opened. Dignitaries from across space are coming for the event, even the Romulans and Gorn, whose people were responsible for the original facility's destruction. Among the famous faces are Captain Ro (n
Sean Randall
If you'd asked me a decade ago whether I was a Star Trek fan I would have looked at you like you were batty. I enjoyed greatly the climaxes of Voyager and DS9 as they were aired; the concept of watching a show week-by-week, without recourse to timeshifts, pausing or online catch-up has eroded since.

and yet, things move on, don't they? I picked up this book because David Mack's Disavowed came out recently and, having enjoyed Section 31 a great deal both on screen and on the page I was keen to car
Robert
Yet another book that spends over a hundred pages spinning the wheels before the story begins, then ends on what should be the turning point of a complete novel. It's a current genre publishing convention I've come to despise.

I didn't dislike the story itself. There just isn't much story there, it's slow, and it's incomplete. I'm not sure I'll be reading the four follow-up novels. If they're all paced like this one, I'll read the last few chapters in books 2, 3, and 4 then read book five.
Andrew
This book could have been so much better. Unfortunately, half of it is about Kira's time with the Prophets, which is amazingly boring. I found myself counting the pages of each section that dealt with her.

There are two interwoven stories here. The first is the dedication of the (spoiler for those who haven't followed the Typhon Pact arc!) new Deep Space Nine. What happens when you invite a bunch of dignitaries to a public event? All hell breaks loose (of course), and the ramifications are huge.

T
Melissa
This review is for the whole five-volume mini-series

This is a mini-series that spans the Star Trek: The Next Generation and Star Trek: Deep Space Nine tie-in novel series. The bulk of the series takes place in the 2380s – years after Star Trek: Nemesis, years before Star Trek Online‘s resurrection of Data (or, for that matter, his alternate resurrection in the tie-in novels). It’s after the Dominion War, after and during the Typhon Pact series, and is comprised of five novels, each by a differe
Krista D.
This was a rough book.

The scenes on DS9 were great. Getting together for the unveiling and the aftermath were enjoyable, fun to read, and all that. A bit too wordy and dense in places for my tastes, but that's DRG's style.

The entire Kira plot was a waste. There was a huge repeat of everything that happened in the first episode of DS9. What should have been summarized in a couple of pages kept going on and on with an entire flashback. Then, Kira/Keev stuff was so unbelievably boring that first
Stephen
Matthew Bowers
Good-not-great. A good chunk of the book, about half, is taken up with a character's metaphorical Prophet vision, and while I'm happy the books have continued the intriguing mix of religion and politics that defined the Deep Space Nine series, I don't need extended metaphors and further sojourns into Bajor's distant past. With so much of the book taken up with that, only one thing really HAPPENS in the main storyline -- a huge event, to be sure -- but George only gets to set the stage for future ...more
Jenny
Oh boy. David R. George is one of my favourite Trek authors, but not even he could rescue this gong show of a placeholder premise. It's not his fault! It's not his fault that the DS9 storyline fell years behind in continuity from the rest of the TrekLit universe. It's not his fault that the economic downturn resulted in the firing of visionary editors like Marco Palmieri who spearheaded amazing arcs and it's not his fault that Pocket publishes so many fewer books than it used to.

So DRG has to sp
Daniel
Revelation and Dust is the next book in the Star Trek DS9 and TNG relaunch novels. This book essentially starts the process of a mini-series of books relating to the "Big event" in this one. To bring the reader up to speed, at the end of the previous novel, Brinkmanship, DS9 was sabotaged and ultimately destroyed. Revelation and Dust covers the completion and inauguration of the new, and very oddly designed, Deep Space Nine.

Revelation and Dust is very political and aside from the major event in
Paul Lunger
The initial book in the "Star Trek: The Fall" series, David R. George III's "Revelation in Dust" starts off 2 years after the destruction of the original DS9 & jumps about a year into the future from our last Typhon Pact novel. In this installment, dignitaries from around the quadrant especially of the Khitomer Accords have gathered at the new DS9 for it's dedication ceremony conducted by Captain Ro Laren. It is during this peaceful dedication ceremony (which also includes a memorial service ...more
Glenn Crouch
I was very pleased to read about the "new" DS9 - and after a few books where Sisko was decidely not the Sisko I enjoyed from the past, it was also good to see him once again as a happy family man (admittedly they still have issues to go over - but that just adds to the characters).

The death that occurs in this book would have been even more shocking if recent books hadn't had the tendency to kill of supporting characters that we have grown to enjoy... It is starting to get a bit depressing - you
Steven
In this Star Trek DS9 continuing novel Revelation and Dust the author David George III writes the story about the dedication of the new Deep Space 9 (DS9) constructed by Starfleet after the original space station DS9 constructed by the Cardassians was blown up. The story takes place between the dates 22 August 2385 CE to 1 September 2385 CE. The DS9 station is in the vicinity of the now closed wormhole near the Bajoran star system in the alpha quadrant. The wormhole that is closed originally con ...more
Vanessa
Wow. Just wow. Who came up with the cruel idea to kill off Bacco again? She was an amazing character who got the Federation through a lot of problems amd she gets taken down by three shots.
Other than that, the story really leaves room for expanding in the next four books. When I first saw this book online, I though "Oh, this could be interesting." It simple didn't appeal. But, of course, the new DS9 was featured, so I had to see it.
Now, having actually read the book, wow. With Ro Laren in charg
Cameron James
David R George III is, I feel, one of the best Star Trek writers being published today, and that comes from his deep knowledge of the very heart and core of what made Deep Space Nine the truly unique series that it was. Too many writers of Deep Space Nine books have treated the series like any other in the Star Trek universe. While each series has it’s own unique flavour, the rest have all been pretty similar as they have all taken place on a starship with a rather consistent crew compliment acr ...more
Dan
In writing Revelation and Dust, David R. George had a number of things he had to accomplish: introduce the new Deep Space Nine, catch us up with where the characters are, and set The Fall in motion. I think that he accomplishes these goals well, for the most part. A few small hiccups don't detract from the overall enjoyment of this novel. The twists and turns and surprising reveals at the end of the book make me very curious about what is to come. This novel's setup has certainly made me eager t ...more
Opal Trelore
It was OK. I enjoyed the different story lines but got frustrated with switching back and forth. However, for once I was equally engaged with all of the different threads.
Eddie
I have not read a Star Trek book since The Data Trilogy by Mack. While I enjoyed the DS9 catch up, it was slow. I will give part 2 a try soon.
Raymond Masters
It was hard going back and forth from the main story to the sub-story. It took a little while for me to get into the B story, too. Once I did, I enjoyed it, but I found myself breezing through to get to the events on DS9. I really enjoyed that portion and learning about the new station.
Judith Paterson
Not a lot happened for a long time - but it was interesting to read - sad to see the end of ---- oops don't want to spoil it. Felt like it was setting up events for next books in series.Look forward to the rest.
Nathan Burgoine
I wanted to like this more. I think I'm just a wee bit tired of what seems a constant and unrelenting journey into darkness that the Star Trek novels feel like to me. I don't think I cracked a single smile reading this one, and the lack of that moment of "happy" was what left me just sort of heaving a sigh when I was done the book.

While I've always understood that Star Trek is a way to look at our society through a science fiction lens, I think maybe I'm just wishing we could go back to a story
Lynn Alan Heath
Wow! What an extraordinary Trek novel, but I expected no less from David R. George III.
Goodreads Librari...: Suggested edits for "Revelation and Dust" 3 23 Sep 11, 2013 01:29PM
  • A Ceremony of Losses (Star Trek: The Fall)
  • The Crimson Shadow (Star Trek: Typhon Pact)
  • The Poisoned Chalice (Star Trek: The Fall)
  • Peaceable Kingdoms (Star Trek: The Fall)
  • Forgotten History (Star Trek: Department of Temporal Investigations, #2)
  • The Light Fantastic (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Star Trek: Voyager: The Eternal Tide
  • Absent Enemies (Star Trek: Titan)
  • Indistinguishable from Magic (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Losing the Peace (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Seize the Fire (Star Trek: Typhon Pack, #2)

Star Trek: Typhon Pact (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • A Singular Destiny (Star Trek)
  • Zero Sum Game (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #1)
  • Seize the Fire (Star Trek: Typhon Pack, #2)
  • Rough Beasts of Empire (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #3)
  • Paths of Disharmony (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #4)
  • The Struggle Within (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #5)
  • Plagues of Night (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #6)
  • Raise the Dawn (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #7)
  • Brinkmanship (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #8)
  • The Crimson Shadow (Star Trek: Typhon Pact)
Twilight (Star Trek Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma, #1) Rough Beasts of Empire (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #3) Raise the Dawn (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #7) Plagues of Night (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #6) The Dominion and Ferenginar (Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #3)