Start by marking “Death Canyon: A Jake Trent Novel” as Want to Read:
Death Canyon: A Jake Trent Novel

Death Canyon: A Jake Trent Novel

3.09  ·  Rating Details  ·  103 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
Three bodies. Two national parks. One rogue fishing guide.

The first book in a debut thriller series featuring attorney-turned-fishing-guide Jake Trent, whose idyllic life is upended when he finds himself at the center of a series of grisly killings set around picturesque Jackson Hole.

The gripping debut thriller featuring attorney-turnedfishing- guide Jake Trent, whose idyl
Published August 13th 2013 by Scribner

To ask other readers questions about Death Canyon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death Canyon

Vera
Sep 05, 2013 Vera rated it it was amazing
This book was great! I just returned from a trip of a lifetime to Jackson Hole, where I picked up a copy at the local bookstore. I couldn't put it down on my trip home, and it was so enjoyable to be able visualize every scene Bertsch so vividly describes. Death Canyon was the perfect cure to my post- vacation blues, a book I plan to re-read anytime I long for the winds of Wyoming.
Paul Pessolano
Aug 10, 2013 Paul Pessolano rated it liked it
“Death Canyon” by David Riley Bertsch, published by Scribner.

Category – Mystery/Thriller Publication Date – August 13, 2013

If you are a person who loves the outdoors, fly fishing, or National Parks, this is a mystery made for you. The action takes place in Grand Teton National Park and Yellowstone National Park.

Jake Trent, once a lawyer, now a devoted outdoorsman and fishing guide has his idyllic life turned upside down when he becomes involved in several deaths in Jackson Hole, Wyoming.

The firs
Jeffrey
David Riley Bertsch a former lawyer, who became a fly fishing guide, clearly knows the craft of fly fishing. In his first novel, Death Canyon, the descriptions of the great outdoors, lures, fly fishing, the river, and the natural environment are all a reader could want. The real question in this book is whether the mystery works as well. And it does to some extent.

Jake Trent, is a former prosecutor who gave up his career to move to Jackson Hole, where he became an inn owner and fly fishing guide
Margaret
Aug 13, 2013 Margaret rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
DEATH CANYON is a smart, tension-packed, well-written thriller set in picturesque Jackson Hole, a place that the author knows well. Bertsch does an excellent job painting Jackson as a place where nature still plays a dominant role in human life otherwise caught in a tug-of-war between principle and greed. And trust me, there's plenty of fishing involved! Few thriller writers who use the environment as a plot foundation are as savvy and objective as Bertsch.

The highlight of the book is attorney-t
Faye Ridpath
Aug 17, 2013 Faye Ridpath rated it it was amazing
I received this book for free from Goodreads First Reads.

My husband is an avid reader, but has a very busy schedule because he is a courier, so he doesn't have time to look for books for himself.

So whenever I come across one I think he'll like, I pass it on to him.

This is definitely one I am going to give him to read.

It was a very engaging book.

I hope there will be more to come.
Janice
Good first book in this new series, the lead character is a transplanted attorney, who is now running a bread and breakfast while establishing a career as a fishing guide in Wyoming's Tetons. Becoming embroiled in a local murder investigation, Jake Trent teams up with Park Ranger Noelle to try to find who is killing people in and around Jackson Hole. While some parts of this read like science fiction, in reality use of geothermal power is being explored as an energy source, and extensive drillin ...more
Jon Fireman
Feb 12, 2014 Jon Fireman rated it did not like it
Terrible. Can't believe I stuck through the end.
Miki
Aug 31, 2013 Miki rated it did not like it
"How to Write a Book"

1. Come up with an interesting plot. CHECK.

2. Place the story in a terrific location. CHECK.

3. Decide on an interesting lead male character - Jake Trent, a former lawyer turned fly-fisherman. Check.

4. Add one beautiful, athletic, smart female character as a sidekick. Well, sort of check, but this is a new writer so we'll give him that one.

5. Add an assortment of villains, including a group of rabid eco-terrorists, an evil(or just plain crazy) man out for revenge against #3,
John Johnstone
Aug 02, 2013 John Johnstone rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jake Trent a retired attorney turned fishing guide just can't leave his old investigative job alone, and looks into some strange deaths in Jackson Hole where he lives, one of the victims he finds himself. Jake is not alone, Noelle Klimpton a park ranger is also curious and teams up with Jake to try and solve the mysterious deaths. All the time minor earthquakes continue to increase in frequency and intensity, adding tension to the already tense situation. The author builds up suspense very well ...more
Clay Stafford
Debut author. Great new mystery/thriller. This book is the start of a series; but this story is so good, I’m not sure how Bertsch is going to top it using this scenario and these characters following this much fictional destruction.
The beginning gets my attention: earthquakes in Wyoming, men getting rid of the body of a friend of theirs in a watery gorge, and a group of half-naked Native Americans participating in a “relations” dance, which to this reviewer of Irish decent, looks a lot like the
Emma T Clement
Jun 08, 2016 Emma T Clement rated it it was ok
I received a copy of this book through goodreads first reads in exchange for an honest review.
I thoroughly enjoyed this novel. The setting, characters and storyline were well written, and overall, the novel was hard to put down.
Peggy
Sep 09, 2013 Peggy rated it it was amazing
Loved it! Can't wait to read the next Jake Trent novel. I would expect this to be made into a movie. It has all the elements for the big screen.
Doug
Mar 26, 2014 Doug added it
A good mystery that takes place in Jackson, Wyoming, the Tetons, and Yellow Stone National Park. Several people die from seemingly natural causes but later the theories don't hold up. A series of earth quakes cannot be explained. The hero Jake Trent, who has a small bed & breakfast for individuals that want to fly fish, is suspected for the murders and teams up with park ranger Noelle Klimpton to solve the murders. I liked the book. The first in a series.
Clearview Library District
The story was OK, but the writing was disjointed and a little hard to follow. I am willing to allow for stretches of reality, but as a geologist, this one really twanged. I see where Literary Review related this to C. J. Box and Nevada Barr stories. Only in the sense it happened in the west. Box should be insulted.
Best of luck on your next one Bertsh.
Stacy Bearse
Aug 27, 2015 Stacy Bearse rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction
What a strange book! The first 100 pages were brilliant. The next 50 pages were confounding. And the remainder of the novel was mush. Honestly, I cannot ever recall having this reaction to a book. I really wanted to like this title (it deals with fly-fishing, which I love), but I couldn't wait to put it back on the shelf. Not recommended.
Tim
Apr 06, 2015 Tim rated it did not like it
Maybe just me, but I didn't like this book. The characters were not believable, nor was the plot, and the writing was choppy and unpolished - amateurish, really. I found myself wishing the thing would just end and had to push to get through it. I'm pretty sure I won't be picking up any more "Jake Trent" novels.
sl337litchair
Oct 31, 2015 sl337litchair rated it liked it
Actually heard the audiobook version on a road trip with a friend. It was a good read just grasping enough to keep us both entertained on the drive and we finished the book before the trip was done. So she didn't have to wonder how it ended.
Donald
Sep 05, 2013 Donald rated it it was amazing
"Death Canyon" Scribner

David Riley Bertsch

I am a retiree in Jackson Hole, Wyoming. Its hard to believe this is a debut novel! Why someone hasnt set a book here before is beyond me!

I have read all the recent mystery greats -- Nevada Barr, Tony Hillerman, Nelson Demille, James Patterson and all the rest.

I really enjoyed this book. The way he paints the landscape is spot on. The plot is fast moving and compelling. Jake Trent is a protagonist I hope to see lots more of.

The ecological themes are a
Rebecca
Oct 25, 2015 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio-books
Set in Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks which brought back good memories. Interesting mystery with a retired Eastern law enforcement officer and a park ranger solving sev seemingly unrelated deaths with backgrd of increasing thermo activity in the parks, incl lots of earthquakes.
Anna
Jul 18, 2015 Anna rated it it was ok
Well, it's a good thing the park ranger was beautiful. Wouldn't want to solve crime with an ugly woman.

I'm glad I bought this to support the Grand Teton Foundation, but the book tried to do too much and ended up a mess.
Deane Louise
May 29, 2016 Deane Louise rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
Thoroughly enjoyed this book and looking forward to more from this author. Nicely descriptive and loved the two main characters, Jake and Noelle. Very entertaining.
Donna
Jul 31, 2014 Donna rated it liked it
Good first novel. A bit confusing at times. Set up for further adventures to follow. Should get better and better.
Mar 10, 2015 Laura rated it did not like it
I liked the setting, and that was about it. Poor characters, plotting, writing.
Bryan
May 03, 2014 Bryan rated it did not like it
I don't really know why I bothered to finish this book.
Dennis
Aug 06, 2015 Dennis rated it did not like it
I couldn't even finish this book. I'm being generous by giving it one star.
Michael
Oct 05, 2013 Michael rated it it was ok
Started very strong, sagged in the middle and the deus ex machina ending was disappointing. It is his first novel and could make for an intriguing series. The romance element started well, but Jake Trent needs some focus. The premise of the book with the bad guys creating earthquakes was not presented in a way that made sense to me.
Dec 13, 2013 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Very good, especially for a first novel. Good story that kept me interested. However, I did feel it dragged on in spots and some could have been cut. I AM looking forward to the next in the Jake Trent series though!
Heather Hunt
Oct 15, 2013 Heather Hunt rated it liked it
The book had super description and I loved the location. The ending left something a little surreal and lacking, though. I could not put it down, and will look for his next book even with the flaws.
Barbara
Nov 25, 2013 Barbara rated it liked it
Ending is a little over the top, but there was a nice twist. Probably could have been 75 pages shorter.
Lane
Mar 11, 2014 Lane rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
a good story but ending seemed a little weak for the story but it was a lead in to another book??
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Nightmare Range: The Collected Sueno and Bascom Short Stories
  • Multiple Exposure (Sophie Medina, #1)
  • Soldier Boy (The Adventures of Bryce Tyconnel, Book One)
  • If Truth Were to Be Told
  • The Battle for Las Vegas: The Law vs. The Mob
  • Death Be Not Proud (The Secret of the Journal #2)
  • The Bold Investor
  • Sociopathic Society: A People's Sociology of the United States
  • Serpents Unwound
  • Cooley Rose
  • The Woman from the Blue Lias (a murder mystery)
  • Bliss
  • "You Can Tell Just By Looking": And 20 Other Myths about LGBT Life and People
  • Sergeant Stubby: How a Stray Dog and His Best Friend Helped Win World War I and Stole the Heart of a Nation
  • Blood Game (Jock Boucher #2)
  • Black Star Nairobi