Start by marking “Tamarack County (Cork O'Connor, #13)” as Want to Read:
Tamarack County (Cork O'Connor, #13)

Tamarack County (Cork O'Connor #13)

4.08  ·  Rating Details ·  3,122 Ratings  ·  349 Reviews
Violence and murder blow into Minnesota’s sleepy Tamarack County as ex-sheriff Cork O’Connor returns in the latest installment of William Kent Krueger’s New York Times bestselling series.As a blizzard swells just days before Christmas, the car belonging to the wife of a retired local judge is discovered abandoned on a rural road in Tamarack County. After days of fruitless ...more
Published August 20th 2013 by Atria Books

To ask other readers questions about Tamarack County, please sign up.

Margaret1358 Joyce When you say "..as if for the first time..", you are, I believe, overlaying the text with your own subjectivity. Can you try and reword what it is you…moreWhen you say "..as if for the first time..", you are, I believe, overlaying the text with your own subjectivity. Can you try and reword what it is you mean? I think that will help.(less)

Diane S ☔
Apr 13, 2013 Diane S ☔ rated it really liked it
I am already dreading the day that Henry Meloux is not longer part of this series, he adds such a welcome touch of Indian lore and mysticism. As always a big part of this series is Cork and his family, in this one both Stephen, Cork and Anne are dealing with a moral crisis that they must work their way through. Vivid setting in Northern setting, one feels the cold when these books are set in the winter, as this one was. Such a dependable series, the plots are always interesting and entwined with ...more
Harry
Jun 23, 2013 Harry rated it really liked it
Book Review

photo William-Kent-Krueger_zps6bbf4b3b.jpg
William Kent Krueger

I'll begin this last review (for the time being until the next in series comes out) by saying this: "If you enjoy Johnson's Walt Longmire series, than by all means give Krueger's Cork O'Connor series a try. You will not be disappointed.

And so, Corciran's sage continues in this, the 13th installment of the series. As with Johnson's work, I never tire of these novels. Anne comes back to Tamarack County. Gone is her spiritual and calm demeanor. Something's happened a
Jon Recluse
May 07, 2015 Jon Recluse rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, thriller
Another excellent installment in the Cork O'Connor series, as a case of a former judge's missing wife and the brutal killing of the beloved dog belonging to a family friend sets Cork on the twisted trail of a madman that threatens more than he can imagine. Skillfully blending mystery, nail biting suspense, family drama and Ojibwe mysticism, Krueger never fails to deliver.

Highly recommended.
Dale Harcombe
Mar 11, 2015 Dale Harcombe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have not read any of this author’s books before and picked this up just as something different to my other books from the library. In Tamarack County I was introduced to Cork O’Conner who is a private investigator. In previous novels it appears he was a sheriff. Marsha Dross a protégé of Cork is now the sheriff. The reader knows from the beginning that Evelyn Carter is murdered, Cork and the sheriff initially just have an abandoned car and no body. A blizzard complicates finding out what happe ...more
Brenda
Dec 27, 2014 Brenda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One thing I love about Krueger's books is the consistency of the quality. Every book has been a gem. This one is no exception. There were several moral struggles going on and in the end each compass had settled on pointing in one direction. Things can always change, though, and hopefully I'll find out in the next book where these relationships are headed. I so love the wisdom of Henry Meloux, and it will be a very sad day when he walks the Path of Souls.
Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews
Oct 27, 2013 Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews rated it really liked it
Murders, children coming back home, folks getting run off the road, revenge for a 20-year-old murder, and many unusual things happening in the bitter cold county of Tamarack in Northern Minnesota.

What was happening in this town that usually was a quiet place to be? No one knew the answer, and the police had no clue either. Even Cork, a retired deputy sheriff, was called in for the investigation that he was more involved with than he knew.

Cork O’Connor wasn't aware that his family would be involv
Kathy
Aug 07, 2013 Kathy rated it it was amazing
William Kent Krueger is one of my go-to authors. I am always so excited when I know a new book in the Cork O'Connor series or a stand alone is on the way. And I am always elated when I am granted a review copy.

Once again, I am drawn into Northern Minnesota after just a few pages with Krueger's compelling writing style. Authors that immediately grab your attention are a rarity and Krueger is one of them.

Cork O'Connor's family dynamic is always changing. In Tamarack County, middle daughter Annie i
Sara
Jan 09, 2017 Sara rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017-books
A very timely installment in the Cork O'Conner series, set in northern Minnesota. Cork is hired by two young siblings to track down their grandfather, who disappeared in the Boundary Waters. They soon stumble across a Native American group protesting the building of a dam on a river that threatens to contaminate land that is sacred to their people. I did not give this 4 stars as it seemed overly long.
Dick Reynolds
Dec 02, 2016 Dick Reynolds rated it really liked it
Former Sheriff Cork O’Connor has his hands full in this novel. He’s called by Sheriff Marsha Dross to help look for a missing woman, the wife of a cantankerous judge. Cork’s son Stephen has a budding romance with an Ojibwe girl named Marlee and his daughter, Anne, is home for Christmas from St. Ansgar College run by the Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur. Marlee’s dog has been decapitated and Anne is having serious doubts about becoming a member of the Catholic order in residence at St. Ansgar.
Som
Babs
Jan 01, 2014 Babs rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014-reads
William Kent Krueger is a fascinating writer. As I read Tamarack County I felt like I was watching instead of reading. He writes 'slow' but the story never stops moving. If any of that makes any sense to you or if it doesn't I recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a good read. All the elements are there; mystery, history, family, love, revenge, redemption, murder, the icy cold of Minnesota. I will definitely read all his books.
Jim
Apr 30, 2016 Jim rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
A lot of people have told me to try out author William Kent Krueger's Cork O'Connor series that's set in Minnesota. As luck would have it, I started out with lucky book 13 of the series. I wasn't sure if that would handicap my reading enjoyment of the book. It was however a really pretty good read. Although I was kinda lost with the interactions of some of the regular characters, and their dynamics I didn't feel very lost. Protagonist Cork O'Connor is a former Tamarack County Sheriff. After many ...more
Trish
Dec 16, 2015 Trish rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
William Kent Krueger gifts us a Christmas murder mystery, #13 of his Cork O’Connor series set in the woods of northern Minnesota. It is strong enough in characterizations to stand alone, and it showcases Krueger’s extraordinary skill with dialogue, character, and plot. It is fast enough to be read in an evening and as smooth and warming as spiked eggnog. When the ribbons and paper have been stripped from holiday gifts and you want to sink into the quiet of a winter’s day, reach for a novel that ...more
Jul 30, 2013 Jennifer rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Earlier this year I read William Kent Krueger's Ordinary Grace. It was the first book I had read by Krueger so I was anxious to get my hands on another one of his books. Tamarack County is Krueger's latest release, and it's part of his Cork O'Connor series.

Overall I'd have to say this was a middle of the road book for me. Some of it was from coming into the series late, but some of it wasn't.

Like most adult mystery series books, the main story of Tamarack County is stand alone. I didn't need to
Annie
Dec 26, 2016 Annie rated it liked it
Nice vacation read---I was constantly impressed that the author made almost every authority figure a woman.
Beth
Sep 02, 2013 Beth rated it really liked it
Another solid installment in this excellent mystery series. I liked Cork and his family from the start (the first, Iron Lake, was published many years ago) and I've grown to like it very, very much. The characters are completely human, the Indian culture (Ojibwa) in far northern Minnesota is handled sensitively and honestly (and what a rich and deeply spiritual culture it is) and most importantly, the people in the series continue to mature and evolve. One of my favorite characters, Cork's frien ...more
Paul Pessolano
Aug 26, 2013 Paul Pessolano rated it really liked it
“Tamarack County” by William Kent Krueger, published by Atria Books.

Category – Mystery/Thriller Publication Date – August 20, 2013

This is the thirteenth book in the series that features Corcoran (Cork) O’Connor. The novels take place in a small community in Minnesota and usually during its harsh winters, plenty of snow and temperatures below zero.

Cork has been a deputy, sheriff, and now a private investigator in the community. In “Tamarack County” Cork is asked by the sheriff to help in finding
Joyce
Nov 06, 2013 Joyce rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a series I follow faithfully, ever since I took the first book, Iron Lake, on a trip with a large group of dancers and parents to Spain. Pre-ebooks, and I think 4 or 5 people read it that trip--men and women. A great series to share.
Here, Cork O'Connor finds himself involved in two cases--the wife of a much-despised judge has gone missing and someone is attacking the family of his teenage son's girlfriend. Not to mention the fact that his daughter Annie is unexpectedly home from a religi
Brent Soderstrum
Dec 22, 2014 Brent Soderstrum rated it really liked it
In this 13th installment of Krueger's Cork O'Conner series hormones and revenge run amok. There is also a theme of everything happens for reason which is often so hard to see when we are going through something.

Hormones: Cork's are raging even with Rainy in New Mexico taking care of a family situation. Stella gets Cork's attention. Anne's hormones are raging despite being in the middle of the process of becoming a nun. Finally Stephen's hormones are raging as teenage boy with the first love of h
Sep 16, 2013 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: mnauthor, mystery
When I think of the series overall, I think the Cork O'Connor series is one of the most far-fetched, unbelievable mystery series out there. No family has that many tragedies or bad things happen to them. The series could be equally as compelling with Cork solving these mysteries, with his family on the periphery and with much less fallout to the family. It's frustrating, which definitely takes away from calling Krueger a favorite author of mine.

Each individual book, however, sucks you in with it
Andy Marlow
Aug 29, 2013 Andy Marlow rated it it was amazing
As much of a disappointment at the current James Lee Burke was, this book by Minnesota author William Kent Krueger was a delight. I literally couldn't put it down; ripping through it in less than 24 hours. I love Krueger's depiction of Northern Minnesota. He so obviously loves it. And he is becoming to the Ojibwe people what Tony Hillerman was to the Navajo; the best non-native writer Who writes about tribal people. They are neither idealized nor demonized. They are just people with a shared his ...more
Catherine
Dec 05, 2016 Catherine rated it liked it
Again I read a book and find out it is a series. Need to quit that. A lot of past is missing. Didn't like a dogs head being cut off. No reason. A lot of Indian words were hard to pronounce. Not a quick read.
Jill Manske
Nov 23, 2014 Jill Manske rated it really liked it
Another really good book by William Kent Krueger. As often happens, I began reading Krueger with one of his later books and am working my way backwards. Although more recent books provide clues as to what happened in earlier ones, I still enjoyed reading Tamarack County. His books are always so full of wonderfully descriptive scenes and intriguing characters - you feel as if you are in the Minnesota north woods with him. Unlike most mysteries, the reader isn't trying to figure out whodunit, but ...more
Noelle
Feb 09, 2016 Noelle rated it really liked it
Janet
Aug 25, 2013 Janet rated it liked it
I have read five of the 13 books in this series about Cork O'Connor and this one I didn't enjoy as much as the others. Seemed as if Krueger's command of language and sentence structure was not as strong in this particular title. And Cork in this one was having trouble being faithful to his girlfriend whom was away attending to her son. There is a very good prayer prayed by Cork's son Steven, very down to earth with great imagery--the real way Krueger can write, but didn't seem to in this title.
Jo Dervan
May 02, 2013 Jo Dervan rated it really liked it
Cork O'Connor is a private detective who is a former law enforcement officer and was once the Sheriff of Tamarack County in Minnesota. Cork is part Ojibwa and Tamarack County is in thee North Country where many Native Americans live on and off the reservations.

A string of attacks and disappearances begin to occur right before Christmas in the county. They all seem to be connected to a murder years before. When Cork's son is attacked, he joins the hunt for the culprit.

This is the 13th book in the
Vicky
Aug 24, 2013 Vicky rated it liked it
Pretty good story, but the side story involving Annie was just irritating. Especially the choice she made at the end. I guess she was being true to herself, but her decision was way beyond my comprehension, since I am not a religious person. I would rather Krueger would stick to the mystery like he did in the earlier books of the series (and the Indian mysticism is a nice touch too), but leave the pious stuff out.
Rick Fisher
Apr 11, 2013 Rick Fisher rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
WKK is a genius, in my opinion. He has developed a world of people I love being a part of. I love his work and I love this family he created.
Each novel delves further into the depths of the O'Connor families hearts. This family dynamic, mixed with the mysteries of the police force, make for a most excellent read.
I would never be able to say thank you enough to WKK for allowing me to take part and enjoy his talent.
Mary Mullane
May 27, 2013 Mary Mullane rated it it was amazing
William Kent Krueger is one of my favorite authors plus he's a Minnesotan.

I love how he writes, how he incorporates native American spirituality into this series. I am dreading the day Henry will walk the Path of Souls...

I read this in one day--definitely a good read!

Now to read #11 & #12 and I will be caught up with this series.
Ann
Jun 06, 2013 Ann rated it really liked it
This is the first book in the series that I've read. I had no trouble following the characters or the story. This is a story of revenge and murder. Small town locale has everyone knowing everyone's business. First the judges wife disappears , then the convict's dog dies. Then the sheriffs son is targeted. Great story line and action. Definitely will recommend.
Lynn
Sep 04, 2013 Lynn rated it really liked it
I always look forward to a new addition to the Cork O'Connor series. The characters in the series continue to evolve and change. I enjoy the northern Minnesota setting and the backdrop of Ojibwa lore and tradition. As always Mr. Krueger does not disappoint but provides a well written fast paced mystery that leaves the reader anxious to see how the mystery is solved.
only one star !!! 2 40 Jan 24, 2015 03:04PM
  • Let it Burn (Alex McKnight, #10)
  • Delivering Death: A Novel (Riley Spartz, #6)
  • Massacre Pond (Mike Bowditch, #4)
  • A Hard Ticket Home (Mac McKenzie, #1)
  • Breaking Point (Joe Pickett, #13)
  • A Serpent's Tooth (Walt Longmire, #9)
  • Three Can Keep a Secret (Joe Gunther #24)
  • Light of the World (Dave Robicheaux, #20)
  • Dead Money Run (Lou Malloy Crime, #1)
  • Night Moves (Doc Ford, #20)
  • Second Watch (J.P. Beaumont, #21)
  • The Boyfriend (Jack Till, #2)
  • Lake of Sorrows (Nora Gavin, #2)
Raised in the Cascade Mountains of Oregon, William Kent Krueger briefly attended Stanford University—before being kicked out for radical activities. After that, he logged timber, worked construction, tried his hand at freelance journalism, and eventually ended up researching child development at the University of Minnesota. He currently makes his living as a full-time author. He’s been married for ...more
More about William Kent Krueger...

Cork O'Connor (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Iron Lake (Cork O'Connor, #1)
  • Boundary Waters (Cork O'Connor, #2)
  • Purgatory Ridge (Cork O'Connor, #3)
  • Blood Hollow (Cork O'Connor, #4)
  • Mercy Falls (Cork O'Connor, #5)
  • Copper River (Cork O'Connor, #6)
  • Thunder Bay (Cork O'Connor, #7)
  • Red Knife (Cork O'Connor, #8)
  • Heaven's Keep (Cork O'Connor, #9)
  • Vermilion Drift (Cork O'Connor, #10)

“You are the light. The darkness will always try to snuff you out.” 0 likes