Start by marking “Enemies Within: Inside the NYPD's Secret Spying Unit and bin Laden's Final Plot Against America” as Want to Read:

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  168 ratings  ·  19 reviews
How safe are we? What do we sacrifice to feel safe? And who pays the ultimate price?

Two Pulitzer Prize–winning journalists examine one of the most sensitive post–9/11 national security investigations—a breathtaking race to prevent an al-Qaeda bomber from launching Osama bin Laden’s final attack on American soil.

In Enemies Within, Mat
Published September 3rd 2013 by Touchstone (first published September 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Enemies Within, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Enemies Within

I came across this book through a strange circumstance. The brother of Adam Apuzzo was our contractor for a bathroom remodel, and in the course of talking to him, he mentioned his brother, a Pulitzer Prize winning investigative reporter, had co-written a bok about one aspect of the aftermath of 9-11. He was it was pretty interesting, and I said I’d read it, without having tooo many any expectations.

To my surprise, it was fascinating. Apuzzo and Goldman interweave the activities of the New York C
Walker Lamond
Enemies Within reads like a great thriller, all the more exciting because it is true! THe whole book played out like an action movie, and I couldn't put it down. I followed this story as the authors broke it in their Pulitzer winning investigative series for the AP, so I was expecting the book to be more or less a retelling of those shorter pieces with maybe a few more juicy anecdotes and unnamed sources thrown in. But this book is so much more. The narrative is exciting and suspenseful, and the ...more
If there's one thing that's clear after reading this book, it's that the United States is pretty bad at spying. A lot of it is understandable from a certain perspective. After 9/11, the NYPD, along with the FBI, the CIA and the NSA were given a mandate never to let such a thing happen again. That mandate, however, didn't come with the training or the knowhow to do it.

The NYPD, which had been previously tasked with tracking down different kinds of criminal enterprises, decided to begin collectin
Paul Pessolano
“Enemies Within” by Matt Apuzzo and Adam Goldman, published by Touchstone Books.

Category – History Publication Date – September 03, 2013

This is an investigative report by two Pulitzer Prize winning journalists. It is a report on intelligence gathering in the New York Police Department after 9/11.

It is a story of how the Police Department was able to carry out questionable investigative tactics that were approved by law. A report that dovetails these investigative tactics is the story of 3 young
Kit Fox
Inter-agency beefs, bugged places of worship, would-be jihadists, all that and more. The authors' drawing light on the lengths the NYPD's spy department has gone to in the name of keeping the city safe is pretty damn freaky. And they make the point repeatedly that all this failed to stop the would-be jihadists in question--there are several instances when folks from the FBI or the CIA say, "Wow, all this data you've collected is pretty involved. How many cases have you made out of it?" and the N ...more
Mark Holencik
Surprised me. Never thought that I would get all the way through. It was interesting to see the work that goes into these investigations. Was not that surprised at how the government does not have to provide a value for the services it provides.
Brad Lucht
The authors cannot seem to make up their mind what kind of book this was to be. On the one hand, in the early part of the book they seem to glorify the NYPD and their illegal monitoring of ALL Muslims. In the second half of the book they finally start to exhibit just the slightest doubt regarding the unaccountability of the leader of the surveillance unit, whose sole justification seems to be that New York hasn't been the target of a terrorist attack since the unit was formed. Well, I drink oran ...more
Dennis Fischman
The authors use the story of Najibullah Zazi's plot to attack NY to indict the NYPD Intelligence Division for arrogance, incompetence, refusal to share information with the rest of the department (let alone the FBI), and violating the rights of Muslim American citizens without even getting any results.

It's a good read, but I have to wonder about the authors' bias. The FBI infiltrated churches during the civil rights and nuclear freeze movements. It strains belief that they're not ding the same t
This book includes a real life terror plot, the NYPD's intelligence department, profiling, what I would consider to be rights violations, and the changing nature of what has been allowed after 9/11. Fascinating book.

I would recommend listening to a sample to see if it is disagreeable to you if you are considering the audiobook. There are a lot of breath noises. I found it very distracting, but I think it partially depends on how you are listening to it and how high your threshold is for that ki
Jason Dotson
The FBI answers to the Department of Justice. Who does the NYPD answer to? Apparently, no one. This work is brings to light the highly unorthodox and likely illegal methods the NYPD "Demographic Unit" utilized in the years following 9/11 to gather and analyze terror threats. It's faced paced, informative but will leave you wanting more.
I had to read this book for work purposes. It reads very quickly, like a criminal thriller but other than that the writing was not that great. Their newspaper articles which the book was based on are much more well-written.
Amazing details and focus on personalities. There is so much research that it's head-spinning. The amount of arrogance and waste is startling and inexcusable. Well done sirs.
Alex Strick van Linschoten
Interesting story. Somewhat engagingly told, although too long for what it was. Also, because of how it was written, it was difficult to be sure of how the account was sourced.
Excellent job of investigative reporting. I usually have to work to get through this type of non-fiction, but this one kept me reading.
Gabriel Schoenfeld
Tendentious. Takes the evidence where it doesn't go. A missed opportunity since the subject is important and interesting.
Interesting reading. Amazing non-cooperation between NYPD and CIA during a very crucial time.
highlights one case while talking through the history of the somewhat covert NYPD intelligence unit
Jan 24, 2015 Amy added it
Read for class, fall 2014.
Meaghan Higgins
Meaghan Higgins marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2015
Adrienne Richardson
Adrienne Richardson is currently reading it
Sep 20, 2015
Beiza added it
Sep 03, 2015
Patrick marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2015
Leigh marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2015
Briana is currently reading it
Aug 13, 2015
Rachel marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2015
Adam marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2015
David marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
  • Our Man in Tehran: The True Story Behind the Secret Mission to Save Six Americans during the Iran Hostage Crisis and the Foreign Ambassador Who Worked with the CIA to Bring Them Home
  • Our Town: A Heartland Lynching, a Haunted Town, and the Hidden History of White America
  • Intel Wars: The Secret History of the Fight Against Terror
  • The Operators: The Wild and Terrifying Inside Story of America's War in Afghanistan
  • The Triple Agent: The al-Qaeda Mole who Infiltrated the CIA
  • The Second Amendment: A Biography
  • Kaboom: Embracing the Suck in a Savage Little War
  • National Insecurity: The Cost of American Militarism
  • Clarence Darrow: Attorney for the Damned
  • Best of Enemies: A History of US and Middle East Relations, Part One: 1783-1953
  • Saboteurs The Nazi Raid on America
  • Hitler's Spy Chief: The William Canaris Mystery
  • Islam and the Future of Tolerance: A Dialogue
  • Under Fire: A Night of Terror and Courage in Benghazi
  • Blood and Honor: Inside the Scarfo Mob--The Mafia's Most Violent Family
  • Rasputin: The Untold Story
  • Going to Tehran: Why the United States Must Come to Terms with the Islamic Republic of Iran
  • Spies Against Armageddon