Start by marking “The Fall: Tales from the Apocalypse” as Want to Read:
The Fall: Tales from the Apocalypse

The Fall: Tales from the Apocalypse

3.47  ·  Rating details ·  139 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
An anthology of short stories, THE FALL explores different visions of the apocalypse. Ancient prophecies, technological Armageddon, failures of government, a distracted deity, and yes, zombies, all have their moments in this collection, but so do love, yearning, hope, and humor. In the end, the apocalypse offers a path to new beginnings, even if it takes a course through d ...more
Paperback, First, 194 pages
Published November 1st 2012 by Elephant's Bookshelf Press (first published October 31st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Fall, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fall

August Is Azathoth The Haunted Reading Room
Jan 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to August Is Azathoth by: Making Connections
Review of The Fall: Tales from the Apocalypse
Edited by Matt Sinclair
5 stars

I was relieved while reading this to be reminded that “Apocalypse” as a term, is not inclusive only of Zombiefication, plague, and mutant virus. No, indeed: there are other means of reaching The End of The World, or alternatively The End of Civilization As We Know It. Plenty of those possibilities are delectably presented here. I myself am quite fond of the first story, “Trust,” whose complete irony simply turns me inside
Anna
Jan 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Apocalyptic Fiction
Feb 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
The Fall: Tales from the Apocalypse is an enjoyable collection of speculative short stories featuring a fine variety of different apocalyptic scenarios. Zombies, plague, solar flares, collapse, alien invasions, even an ancient apocalypse from the perspective of a long dead medicine man. While each of these stories share an apocalyptic element, they are otherwise quite unique in terms of structure, style and setting. Reading The Fall was an interesting experience. By viewing the apocalypse from s ...more
A.T. O'Connor
Jan 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: anthologies
As author of "Solar Flare", I thought I'd share what inspired my short story in The Fall: Tales from the Apocalypse.

Technology rules our world. Except for a few pockets of isolated humans, we rely on it for everything. When the challenge was presented to create a post-apocalyptic world, I knew I had to wipe out technology. To me, this act would cull the unprepared--the weak. It would shatter our comfort levels and bring us to the very basis of our human nature.

Survival.

I asked my teens how many
Vic Duran
Mar 02, 2014 rated it liked it
I think these stories were all good on their own, but I went into the anthology thinking it would be post apocalyptic stories. A lot of these fit in with the title "The Fall" but I don't think a lot of them fit into the genre.

Favorites:

Hairline Cracks: Typical zombie fare but what was most interesting was how the transformation was dealt with in the out of body experience.

Last Day of Fall: Was not expecting that reveal at the end at all. Loved the survival descriptions.

The Last Sacrifice: Distur
Naomi
Jul 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A really enjoyable read for a cold winter's night. Overall the book was a good entertaining read although, as is usual for an anthology, I enjoyed some stories more than others. Flight Plans left me feeling hopeful, while The Last Sacrifice was intense and poignant, the hero Rax was at first horrible but by the end I felt very sorry for him - he is a tragic hero who commits horrible deeds, which were disturbing to read about, but made you think about what acts having a zealous, blind faith leads ...more
Silash Ruparell
Sep 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
This review also appears on my blog www.silashruparell.com

My one liner: An easy, if sometimes disturbing, often hilarious read

“May you live in interesting times” is a well-known Chinese curse.

Well, the apocalypse stories take that to the logical extreme, as there would be very little that would be uninteresting about a post-apocalyptic world. This is a lovely little collection of (very) short stories that take human beings out of their comfort zone into situations which they cannot have experien
S. K. Pentecost
Feb 26, 2014 rated it liked it
The Fall: Tales from the Apocalypse left me with a resounding sense of worry that editing is a dying craft. The choices the anthologists made were perhaps colored somewhat by self promotion and social circle. Most of the stories left me feeling ambivalent, except for the ones that left me feeling like I had finally crossed the border into grumpy old manhood. (In my day, people were told to write what they know. Fleegle dee flu.)

Then came Bone Dust, by P.S. Carrillo, and my grumpy old man heart m
Beric Croome
Jul 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I do not normally read fiction works, but my wife JUDY CROOME has a short story in this book. A happy wife is a happy life, so I read this book and found it entertaining and interesting. Some stories had a good twist, while others had unusual premises. "Disconnect" (Mandy McGinnes), "The Last Performance of the Neighborhood Summer Theatre Festival" (R.S. Mellette) "Bone Dust" (Patricia Carrillo) and "The Last Sacrifice" (my wife Judy Croome) were excellent.
Lew
Jan 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I have always liked end of the world/apocalypse stories. First, Thanks to Goodreads giveaways as I won this book and would probably never have found this wonderful (don't know that is the best adjective for apocalypse stories) collection of stories. Hats off to Matt Sinclair and his publishing team and of course all the writers. It was a great range of stories. Strongly recommend to fans of apocalypse stories.
Underground Book Reviews
Sep 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Tales about the end of civilization as we know it have captivated audiences for generations. It is no wonder that The Fall: Tales from the Apocalypse would be just as intriguing. This group of stories all tied to the common theme of man's destruction gives the reader much to think about. Below are the tales and a brief summary of plot.

Read the rest of this review at Underground Book Reviews (dot) com.
Katerina
Nov 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Fall was a pretty good book. It started off strong with some in-depth stories and some that were humorous. It did get slow in some parts, but with so many different authors and stories to choose from, the pace picked up again within pages. This book has a collection of the different types of "end-of-the-world" scenarios that would meet most people's expectations.
Natalie Smith
Dec 31, 2012 rated it liked it
I won this book and was so excited!

The book has a variety of short stories about the world ending or during the apocalypse. The stories are all very different and very creative. If you like apocalyptic books, this is a great book to pick up and read.
Beth Scott
Dec 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book for free in Goodreads first Reads. I found the stories in this book very interesting and diverse. They weren't all "zombie" stories. Some of the stories were humorous and some very realistic.
Angie Sandro
Jan 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy of The Fall: Tales of the Apocalypse in exchange for a fair review.

I'm so glad I had the opportunity to read this book. It came at the right time. I was sick, bored out of my mind from being in bed, so what better time to delve into to the concept of mortality via the various tales devoted to the destruction of civilization. I'm a sucker for scary stories, and a few were downright terrifying. Some were funny. My favorite story was one which had a twist at the end. I admit
Michelle Hauck
Jan 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
The number of stories provides a little something for everyone. So many takes on how the world might or might not end, that the subject didn't get tedious. I particularly enjoyed the more humorous looks at the end of the world (never expected to find a baseball story). Yet there are also darker looks and zombies (you can't have an anthology without zombies) for those who want their toes curled.

There is also a range of writing ability, from expert story weaver to nearly there. A fun read.
Jemi Fraser
LOVED this! I know a lot of the authors from over at Agent Query Connect and I'm not surprised by the high quality of the stories. The stories are so varied in tone, voice and characters. Can't wait for the next anthology!
Sheri
Jan 01, 2013 rated it liked it
My first goodreads win....I haven't read short stories in a while and have to say I might be neglecting some good ones. There were a couple of really good stories that made you think. There were also a couple I didn't much care for. Nice quick read.
John
Oct 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Really good book. The varied authors sure do keep you interested in the overall story line, there was 1 or 2 that were a bit odd even to me, but overall I really liked it. If you have read other books by a collection of authors than you will like this one as well.
Amanda
This was a mixed bag for me. There were a few stories that I enjoyed, and a few I was so bored by I almost skipped through. What's good about them is that they are short (some just one page!).
Amanda
Jan 01, 2013 marked it as to-read
Shelves: first-reads
Won as part of the Goodreads first reads program. Can't wait to read it!
Matt Sinclair
Nov 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: published
I'm biased, but I love this collection.
S.M. McEachern
Mar 04, 2014 rated it liked it
Nic
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Some of the stories were interesting, I wished there was more to read of them; but many were not apocalyptic at all.
stephen pina
It was whatever

Look for something better. Nothing amazing or earth shattering
Wish I didn't pay for it. Been a better book of free.
Christina
Believe it or not, I think this is the first time I’ve read an anthology, unless you count high school and college textbooks.

First thing I have to say- Unless someone is dishonorably discharged, it is former Marine, not ex-Marine. I cringe every time I read that or hear someone say it because I know how my husband would react. I understand if someone doesn’t have a Marine Corps background, they may not know that so please pass the word.

As I suspected, the upside to an anthology is that you get a
Jean Oram
Nov 02, 2012 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-books
When I first agreed to be copy-editor for this anthology I was a little hesitant. Aren't apocalyptic stories dark and dreary and nightmare inducing?

Well, not these ones!

This collection is a surprising, heart-felt, hopeful, humourous, serious, light, dark, romantic, heartbreaking, ra-rah inducing, bundle of stories about the end of the world. They all have a theme of hope and rebirth which is both uplifting while thought-provoking... and yes, all at the end of the world.

Here's a bit about each of
Angie
Feb 26, 2017 rated it liked it
13 short stories about the downfall of civilization and the end of the world as we know it. Each story is unique and tells a different dystopian tale. Some were great, some scary, some horrifying, and others just meh. The collection as a whole was well written and interesting. My personal favorite was Disconnect by Mindy McGinnis--a story that features God as a surly teen with a cellphone and little interest in the world or its people.
Andy Phillips
This is a collection of 14 stories ranging from 4 to 22 pages in length. As with most of these anthologies there are some that I liked and some that I didn't. However, my main reason for giving this book a fairly low score is that quite a few of the stories aren't what I would call apocalyptic fiction. I realise that some people might like the fact that not all the stories are about plagues and zombies or other typical subjects, but some of them aren't really apocalyptic at all (I would say that ...more
April
Dec 31, 2012 rated it liked it
Several short stories of the way many see the apocalypse. At the beginning of the book there are a few very good stories that get you interested and kept me reading then the "what" stories show up and left me praying for a better story. not being able to get through a few of the stories fast enough. Finally back to the stories that kept me on my toes going hmmm. Some of the stories are actually believable some are well for lack of better words strange and some though impossible in what we consid ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Apocalypse Whenever: March 2014: The Fall: Tales from the Apocalypse 74 181 Mar 14, 2014 10:30AM
Making Connections: 756. THE FALL: Tales from the Apocalypse by Matt Sinclair 18 48 Feb 06, 2013 10:52PM
How Will the World End? 2 10 Nov 20, 2012 12:17PM
  • Alt.History 101 (The Future Chronicles)
  • The Onset (Contamination #1)
  • The Mammoth Book of Extreme Science Fiction
  • The Return of the Discontinued Man (Burton & Swinburne, #5)
  • The Colonists (Movement Trilogy, #2)
  • Knifepoint (Breakers, #3)
  • The Hidden Doors (Explorer, #3)
  • Wizard's Moon
  • The Hermit of Lammas Wood (Tanyth Fairport, #3)
  • Non-Electric Boogaloo (Pennsylvania #2)
  • Engraved on the Eye
  • Carousel (Whyborne & Griffin, #3.4)
  • First Light (After, #0.5)
  • The Apocalypse Ocean (Xenowealth #4)
  • The Ace of Skulls (Tales of the Ketty Jay, #4)
  • Worse Than Myself
Matt Sinclair is a writer of fiction and nonfiction. He works as a journalist in New York City covering philanthropy and the nonprofit sector in the United States and with increasing focus on international philanthropy. In 2012, he established Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC, a traditional publisher of fiction and (eventually) nonfiction. Since its inception, EBP has published eleven books, includ ...more

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Sanctuary (Nomad, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Wired (Wired, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Bandwidth (An Analog Novel Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sufficiently Advanced Magic (Arcane Ascension, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Bees
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Land: Founding (Chaos Seeds, #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
  • Friday
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Dhalgren
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Homeworld (Odyssey One, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Recurve (The Elemental Series, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Out of the Black (Odyssey One, #4)
  • The Menagerie
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Black Bird of the Gallows
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Eighth Grave After Dark (Charley Davidson, #8)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Heart of Matter (Odyssey One, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lumière (The Illumination Paradox, #1)
  • The Birthday of the World and Other Stories
    $11.49 $1.99
  • Obsidian Son (The Temple Chronicles, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • CyberStorm
  • Departure
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Renegades (Renegades, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Nexis (Tricksters, #1)
    $5.99 $0.99
  • Spindle Fire (Spindle Fire #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Logan's Run: Vintage Movie Classics (A Vintage Movie Classic)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Pandemic (The Extinction Files #1)