Start by marking “Pacific Rim: Man, Machines & Monsters” as Want to Read:
Pacific Rim: Man, Machines & Monsters

Pacific Rim: Man, Machines & Monsters

From acclaimed filmmaker Guillermo del Toro comes Warner Bros. Pictures' and Legendary Pictures' epic sci-fi action adventure Pacific Rim.

When legions of monstrous creatures, known as Kaiju, started rising from the sea, a war began that would take millions of lives and consume humanity's resources for years. To combat the giant Kaiju, a special weapon was devised: massive
Published June 18th 2013 by Insight Editions (first published June 11th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Pacific Rim, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pacific Rim

Jonathan Terrington

If, like me, you watch plenty of movies as well as reading many books, one of two things might happen. You might firstly get asked whether you have a proper life (as after all, plenty of your time would be devoted to imaginary worlds and stories). Then secondly you might discover an appreciation for books that connect to films, or films that connect to books. Here I have discovered the latter.

Last year I ended up watching around twenty to thirty films at the cinema (and at least that again on dv
L.M. Ransom
Jan 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
SPOILERS!!!!!SPOILERS!!!!!!!SPOILERS!!!!!!!SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!

First of all, I cannot stress enough how much I love this book. I will admit I haven't quite finished reading it yet, but oh man: this book ROCKS. I love the movie and the movie novelization, but this book is so interesting, with all the pictures and information about del Toro put the movie together.
One thing that bothers me with the book, and I'll just put it out there: the section about Crimson Typhoon has misleading information
Sineala
Jul 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
I'm not sure what I can say about this -- it's the artbook for the movie Pacific Rim. If you liked Pacific Rim enough to want to look at bunches and bunches of pictures and concept drawings and whatnot of giant mecha and giant monsters, you will enjoy this.

It's expensive, but it is a really high-quality artbook. My favorite thing are all the little included physical items: Raleigh and Mako's ID cards, "blueprints" of all the Jaegers, anatomical drawings of some of the kaiju, pages reproduced fro
Michael
Dec 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It's ridiculous how much I loved 'Pacific Rim' when it was released last year. If I was around 8-years-old (like I was a the time 'Star Wars' came out), my bedroom would now be filled with Kaiju & Jaeger figures and all sorts of PR merchandise. 'Man, Machines & Monsters' was a great in-depth look behind-the-scenes at how del Toro made the movie and just makes me want to watch it again.
Sara Saif
Jun 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: i-like-you-a-lot
This had really cool pictures and descriptions of how the film was made, the costumes, the special effects, the sets, everything. A "behind the scenes" look in the form of a book. The part about the creation of Kaiju and the concept art was my favorite!
Jen
Aug 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art-and-design
Two thousand five hundred tons of AWESOME.

(I would like to have seen more sketches and early concept art but still, this highlights a very diverse range of work)
Emma
Aug 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful book. The thing itself is a work of art, with the high quality images, insert pages from Del Toro's notes, and the two full sized photos at the back. It also provides an insight into how the film came to be made and the massive amount of special effects involved. I'd presumed a lot of the things were computer generated and that were actually sets. For example, the pods they use the pilot the Jager were actually physically made and controlled by puppeteers and the actors were in real ph ...more
Artemis Blair Hobbs
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Bought it for Kaiju art.
Came away impressed by the amount of stylish posters and professional discussion being had on each page.
If you were as enthralled by the film's world as I, this is a no brainier.
Linc
Aug 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
awesome graphics and detailed info
Anna
Aug 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A very immersive and informative read on the work that went into the world building of Pacific Rim.
Jolson Olson
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great concept art with well-researched and insightful narrative. So much planning and effort went into "Pacific Rim" that I'm feeling anxious and uncertain about the sequel's fate.
Parka
Aug 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art-books
( More pictures on my blog )

Pacific Rim: Man, Machines, and Monsters is the art-and-making-of book for the film.

It's a great book. Big, hardcover, 156-pages. There are additional sticked on materials on the pages, stickers and two big posters.

The book is packed with amazing content. There are lots of concept art, set photography and lengthy writeup on the production. Everything's beautifully laid out.

The concept art consist of the characters, Jaeger robots, Kaiju monsters and film scenes. The b
Art of the Film
Apr 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
For photos/video of this book, please visit my blog: http://www.movieartbook.com/2015/03/r...

"Pacific Rim" is a fantastic addition to any film book collection; it's instant classic of movie art books. This book is packed with a ton of outstanding imagery related to the movie -- those who have seen the film know that the art direction and design elements are among the film's many strengths.

As it's subtitle suggests, the book essentially focuses on three elements -- man, machines, and monsters. Th
Carmen
Oct 17, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: own
First off, when I saw Pacific Rim for the first time, I fell in love and quickly bought the novelization and soundtrack. I received this book several months ago, but didn't open it because it was in shrink wrap and it looked lovely.

Anyway, I have an intense love for this film, but this book contributed very little more. The character information I had before, but the effects were new. It was great to see the commitment the entire crew had.

However, my enthusiasm for an information overload was da
Joe Crowe
Aug 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is a celebration in book form. The book shows off gorgeous concept art and pages from creator Guillermo Del Toro’s notebooks. It tells all about the story of the movie, the cast, and filming.

The book has fun removable bits, victory posters and ID badges. And blueprints! Blueprints of the armored Jaegers. Did they find these in my history notebook from when I was 13?

There is so very much in this book that we were afraid to open it. It’s a spoiler warning on every page, so I confess I ha
Kenie Davidson
Apr 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
If you love "art of/making of" books, this is definitely a good book for you! It has renderings of many of the kaiju and even some that we never really got to see in the movie, information on the jaeger pilots, has scans from Guillermo del Toro's sketch books and a lot of wonderful insight into the process of making the movie. There are great stories included in it from on set and so much information and pretty pictures!

Honestly, I got the book for one specific kaiju (otachi) and this book deli
Mark
Aug 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding behind-the-scenes making of/art book/movie companion. This book sold out for months after it was released. If you liked Pacific Rim and you want to learn more about the film's development, see outstanding photos and paintings, read about the characters, the robots and the monsters as well as the aliens who sent them then this is for you. Both posters based on propaganda ads made for the film and x-ray like robot inserts and character IDs as well as stickers are just a few of the surp ...more
Teresa
Oct 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars.

This book is amazing. It gives you a fantastic look at the design process, concept art, main characters,some Kaiju and Jaegers, and the making of the movie. The only thing thats really a problem for me, and I know for other people who're fans of the movie is which Kaindanovsky is Aleksis and which is Sasha, since the credits of the movie say one thing and this book says it another and it really bothers me. But thats the only thing, everything else is really interesting and detailed. If
Jemiah Jefferson
Kaiju groupie? That's me! A Jaeger groupie, too, truth be told - and for those of us who are kind of romantically in love with both the monsters AND the robots, this book is just catnip. Gorgeously presented and well-written with thorough explorations of the genesis and making of the film and also some (limited) information on Jaegers, their pilots, the LOCCENT crew (Tendo is the man), and of course, the scaly wonders that swum out of the Breach and started kicking humanity's ass. Long live Paci ...more
Trike
Jul 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Pacific Rim is a fun movie aimed right at the 11-year-old boy in all of us. Even if the ladies. This art book does a really good job of showing the development of the design and look of the movie. I do wish it had more rejected designs, because I always find those interesting, often more so than the ones that make it into the final movie. The behind-the-scenes peek at Del Toro's working style was equally as interesting.

This is definitely aimed at a niche market of movie fans, of which I am one.
Anthony Peronto
Aug 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: film, non-fiction, art
This look into del Toro's epic film of "giant robots fighting giant monsters" is a mix of the insightful and the standard. It gives you a good peak behind the curtain but also contains some of the usual moviemaking understanding that you'd expect to easily see on a blu-ray special feature. The real treat are the pictures, goodies (incl. a poster and stickers), and especially the sketches from del Toro's notebooks. All in all, a very good artbook for a very great kaiju film.
Pannita
Oct 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The book is great, especially as a coffee table book (for nerds of course)! It is approximately 11.5 x 10.25 x 0.75 inches and features tons of concept artworks, Jaegers’ blueprints, character profiles, kaiju designs, and etc. There are 2 propaganda posters and stickers attached inside the book as well. It’s worth every penny and i just love it! More detail review at http://korpannita.wordpress.com/2013/...
Samantha C
Dec 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
If you enjoyed the Pacific Rim movie you'll love this art book. It contains detailed blueprints for the jaegers and sketch designs for the kaiju. This book is fully colored and brilliantly detailed. The best part about it are the descriptions by Cohen,heartfelt forward by del Toro, and the expansion of the universe it's set in. The propaganda posters and warning signs add a lot of fun to the setting.
Erik
Sep 15, 2013 rated it liked it
"Their weathered skins are inspired by combat-worn vehicles from the Iraq War and World War II battleships and bombers. They look believable and their design echoes human anatomy, but only to a point. 'At the end of the day, what you want is just for them to look cool,' says Francisco Ruiz Velasco. 'It’s a summer movie, so you want to see some eye candy.' Del Toro replies, 'I, however, believe in "eye protein," which is high-end design with a precise narrative content.'"
Bianca Woods
Nov 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, finished-in-2013
Great behind the scenes look at the process of creating the movie. The images in it are breathtaking. Personally, though, I wish it had included more details about the characters/world that didn't make it into the movie.

Note: if you've been fanish about Pacific Rim you may notice that little factoids in this book don't always match up to details from other sources. It's not worth skipping the book over, but is worth knowing.
Alex
Dec 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Utterly captivating. I've never been as fascinated with a fictional universe as I am with that of Pacific Rim, and the amount of detail del Toro included keeps me engaged with every small detail I continue to find. It may seem like a simple movie about big things fighting other big things (although, it's equally fine to see enjoy it as such,) but it's a world absolutely worth immersing yourself in, just don't make any plans for the next... Well, a long time.
Michael Alexander Henke
Oct 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction, art
This is a pretty fantastic art book. In fact it's much more than just an art book. This is more of a behind the scenes / making of type of book. It's full of tons of great concept art, and packed with lots of little details. It gives you a nice view of what went into making the movie. Worth it for any Pacific Rim fans.
Eric
Mar 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
An entertaining if brief look at the the making of the fantastic film, Pacific Rim. However, what it lacks in words it more than makes up for in pictures and pull-outs, including behind the scenes photos, monster and mecha designs and even propaganda shown in the film. If you liked the movie, you'll enjoy this book as it gives insight to the evolution of the story from page to screen.
Alethea A
Aug 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Ah! So cool.

Really good look behind the scenes of the visual and technical planning of Pacific Rim. Great job, whoever designed the book really got it right. I love all the little things "pasted" in like pilot ID cards, sketches with notes, stickers -- if I ever have a kid there will be a note from Mommy in there that reads "Grounded for life if you ever peel these stickers!"
June Fletcher
Aug 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: movie-art
Gorgeous book, adds layers and offers insights into the world of Pacific Rim. The sheer amount of design and details is staggering. Love the information and concept art for jaegers and kaiju we saw onscreen for just a few seconds.

• The Art of The Avengers
  • The Art and Making of Hannibal: The Television Series
  • Naïve: Modernism and Folklore in Contemporary Graphic Design
  • The Art of Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
  • The Art of Big Hero 6
David S. Cohen is an entertainment and business reporter as well as a writer and producer for film and television. During his thirty years in show business, he has acted and directed off-off Broadway plays, scripted television documentaries, and written for the syndicated series Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. As a reporter, he has covered screenwriting, visual effects, and film production for Variety ...more