Start by marking “Wastelands 2: More Stories of the Apocalypse” as Want to Read:
Wastelands 2: More Stories of the Apocalypse

Wastelands 2: More Stories of the Apocalypse

Edited by acclaimed anthologist John Joseph Adams, WASTELANDS 2: MORE STORIES OF THE APOCALYPSE is the star-studded follow-up to the 2008 bestselling anthology Wastelands. The first book traced the 21st century resurgence of post-apocalyptic fiction, and while it is considered the definitive collection of its kind, dozens of new stories have been written since it was relea ...more
Published February 2015 by Titan Books

To ask other readers questions about Wastelands 2, please sign up.
t r a c y It just came out a few days ago (I believe the 10th) it's available now on Kindle and probably paperback!

Start your review of Wastelands 2: More Stories of the Apocalypse
Sonja
Oct 08, 2018 rated it liked it
It is so hard to rate collections of short stories, especially when it all various authors. Unless I love all the stories or hate them all, I just give a three star.
Some of these stories where really good and sucked me in all the way. Others well; they just weren’t short enough!
Bogdan
Apr 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was surprised that I didn`t enjoy so much the works from the "Big" names in this Anthology and the " little" ones have scored a lot more at this chapter.

So, these where the story that I liked:

Seanan MCGuire - Animal Husbandry- A vet travels light with some animals after a strong plague that had ravished the Earth.

Ann Aguire - Fundation - About a group of people that goes undergound in some bunkers after a biological outbreak to emerge some years later in something like a wood age.

Genevieve Val
Papaphilly
A great read. Wastelands 2 - More Stories of the Apocalypse is a fine collection of apocalyptic short stories and is every bit as good as the first collection. John Joseph Adams has done an admirable job of combing through genre and putting together a volume well worth reading. He has created a volume that is not all doom and gloom, but you take your optimism where you can find it and it is not always apparent. Most of the authors are newer, but Wastelands 2 - More Stories of the Apocalypse doe ...more
Billy Roper
Apr 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
My wife got me this collection for my birthday, along with several others, and I really enjoyed the book, overall. Some of the short stories are a bit more dated that I'd expected ("The Postman?") in a new anthology, but I'd hate for those who'd never had a chance to read Brin's work to miss out, either, so I was willing to read it again, and enjoyed it as always. I don't care as much for the supernatural and metaphysical post-apocalyptic stories, but considering the wide genre audience he had t ...more
Catherine Siemann
Jun 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Lots and lots of apocalypses. I was looking for patterns in post-apocalyptic stories, and this more than did the trick -- there were a lot of well-written stories, but none of them surprised me. Outstanding work by Junot Diaz, Genevieve Valentine, and others. The collection also includes the novella version of David Brin's The Postman, a work which I for some reason never wanted to read, and am now intrigued by.

But yeah, lots and lots of apocalypses. Apocalypsi?
Gertie
Jun 11, 2016 marked it as got-it-unread
Shelves: audiobooks, library
I have had this audiobook loaded onto my iPod for a year now, and I just can't bring myself to listen to it. Book 1 was just too fucking depressing.
Lauren
Oct 20, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, stand-alone
This collection of short stories was very hit-or-miss, in my opinion. What follows is a short synopsis of each of the stories in turn, as well as a tiny review of what I thought. I want to be clear that, as always in my reviews, I am rating based on how much I liked the story, not on its objective quality. Obviously that plays a part, but there are some stories that I recognize as being well-written that I still hate because I don't like having no one to root for, for instance. Also, while I was ...more
Mar 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read the first anthology of short stories and felt that it was 50/50. With the second anthology, I feel that overall the stories were better, the writing was better. I liked that several of the stories were told from the standpoint of young people, kids. It was refreshing. Personally I don't read a lot of short stories, this was fun. I enjoyed the majority. I would like to see a few of them expanded upon.

The Tamarisk Hunter: I just enjoy this author's point of view.
Deep Blood Kettle: I enjoyed
Daniel Ferguson
I thought I'd never finish this book this year, let alone the other 11 I challenged myself to read in 2016, due to the absolute suckfest of my life in 2016. But finally, once a few of the stressors that controlled my life were taken out of the equation, I had a lot of time to just read, not to mention write, watch shows and game. But after my writing, which is both my escape and my job description (pfft, yeah, "job" he says), well, my go-to uncompleted read was this one.

I wasn't too amazed by so
Patti
Jul 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anthologies are very hard to rate. Some stories are really great, others just mediocre, some totally suck.

There were more really good ones than sucky ones in this anthology. Of course, any PA anthology that has an excerpt of "The Postman" in it gotta be good. Only one story (besides "The Postman") that I had already read, so that was a bonus.

A few of the better ones:

After the Apocalypse - Maureen F. McHugh
Outer Rims - Toiya Kristen Finley
Patient Zero - Tananarive Due
Jimmy's Roadside Cafe - Ramse
Anne
Jan 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So very many, many apocalypses. So very many ways for civilization to crumble. While I didn't find anything in here of earth-shattering originality, I did find consistently enjoyable end times. Some interesting voices, sure, but with so many stories concentrating on the collapsing of society aspect I think it's hard to bring something outrageously new to the table.
Melissa Dally
May 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very solid collection of apocalyptic tales, including a gem from George RR Martin who typically does fantasy fiction. There were a few that were slow, but most of these were great and I'm going to have to get my hands on the first Wastelands ASAP.
Angela
Post-apocalypse is my favorite SF sub-genre, and this collection of short stories does not disappoint. Like all anthologies, stories are hit and miss, but most are hits. A worthy follow-up to the first volume. I'll read this one and its predecessor more than once.
A~
Nov 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wastelands 2: More stories of the Apocalypse
Edited by John Joseph Adams

I sincerely enjoyed the first collection of apocalypse stories that John put together so I was real eager to read this volume. I have to say it did not disappoint. Like most anthologies there were a few duds, at least they were duds to me, I am sure other people would consider some of my favorites as duds. John's style of editing anthologies is short foreword and a small bit of author info at the end. No stories from the auth
Kristen
May 31, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-book, sci-fi
Overall a 3 star work with some winners, but seemingly more losers particularly experimental structured stories lacking plot, character, or both . I enjoyed the more recently published Apocalyptic Triptych more than Wastelands 1 or 2.

- The Tamarisk Hunter by Paolo Bacigalupi - 3 stars ... I heard this before, and recalled liking it, but I forgot the plot details. I remembered the setting and atmosphere. It left enough fond memories, that I listened again.

- Deep Blood Kettle by Hugh Howey - 2 sta
Spike Gomes
Dec 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
It seems the case that follow-ups are usually never as good as the original. It's almost a trope, if you will. For most of the reader's of this, the other reviews seem to suggest that it's so, however, in my case, I found this one a lot better than the first collection. It's rather funny, since I've also read quite a bit of the stories in here already as well, and there's not really a significant change in tone or taste on the part of the editor, but Adams just seemed to be picking higher qualit ...more
Tom Rowe
Oct 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Nothing says fun quite like the end of the world. I really enjoyed these short stories. There was a lot of variety in the types of stories all centered around the end of everything. I recommend.
Jordan Anderson
This is really more of a 2.5 star rating.

I like post-apocalyptic fiction stories. I have no issues, whatsoever, in admitting that I take a guilty, perverse pleasure in reading them. There's something about the destruction, desolation, desperation, depression, whatever, that makes them such compelling reads. Think about it. Living in a world that is no longer full of the cushy amenities we take for granted. Having to eke out a meager living by scrounging around in abandoned buildings for tins of
Stan James
Apr 17, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
A second volume in a themed horror collection might seem like a good candidate for more experimental work that may not be entirely successful and such is the case with Wastelands 2, although I enjoyed the majority of the stories.

Post-apocalypse tales are one of the enduring favorites in horror fiction. Some of the classic boogeymen like nuclear war have faded as threats to all humanity while others like global warming have risen--Wastelands 2 delivers on both of these, along with biological terr
Jeff Lanter
Aug 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As I work my way through the book, I'm going to leave notes for stories I especially like. Overall comments will follow:

The Tamarisk Hunter - This is a grim story about natural resource depletion that could have been spun out into a much longer story and I would have gladly read it. While it took a while for me to get into it, I ended up really enjoying this one.

...For A Single Yesterday - The first thing I've read by George R. R. Martin and a very solid story at that. If the apocalypse happened
Phil
Aug 05, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
Much of the book didn't feel as strong as the first Wastelands anthology. That was perhaps inevitable, given the fact that the first book had decades of post-apocalyptic stories to draw from, while the second volume was mostly dependent on those published since the release of the first volume. However, many of the strongest stories are in the second half of the book, with the end result that it matches (or perhaps even exceeds) its predecessor in overall quality.

Scattered thoughts about some of
Apocryphal
Jan 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
This is a collection of short stories by renowned anthologist John Joseph Adams. I've enjoyed a few of his previous anthologies very much, including the first *Wastelands* and (my personal favourite) *Brave New World* which is an anthology of dystopian fiction. So naturally I was eager to jump into this one. Unlike the others, which I read, I purchased this one from Audible and listened to it.

As an anthology, this book is quite strong. It features a wide diversity of authors, both old and new, a
Lbaker
The Tamarisk Hunter by Paolo Bacigalupi - 4.5 stars
Deep Blood Kettle by Hugh Howey - 3 stars
Animal Husbandry by Seanan McGuire - 5 stars
.... for a Single Yesterday by George R R Martin - 5 stars
I think I'm going to have to cave, and start reading his Game of Thrones series, I've been postponing until the series is complete, but every time I read one of his short stories I love the characters, and the settings.
Chislehurst Messiah by Lauren Beukes - 2.5 stars
Colliding Branes by Rudy Rucker and Br
Sam
Apr 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wastelands2
Edited by John Joseph Adams

It's hard to top Wastelands 1 - brilliant stories of the post-apocalypse but JJ Adams has gathered some brilliant writers together in this harrowing but highly illuminating collection of visions of our Mad Maxian futures. Paulo Bacigalupi, George R.R. Martin, you name it they have written for this series, some new, some classics.
Hard to pick out particular stories as the ‘best’ as all are so well judged and fine-tuned. Animal Husbandry - The Vet with her ani
Emily
Jun 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like any anthology, there are high and low points, and as usual for a JJA anthology, a big high point is Seanan McGuire. "Animal Husbandry" is brilliantly creepy, and I really wanted to share the story with my friend, so she could also be awed/horrified. I also enjoyed George R.R. Martin's “... for a single yesterday,” Rachel Swirsky's "How the World Became Quiet," Paolo Bacigalupi's "The Tamarisk Hunter," Cory Doctorow's "Beat Me Daddy," Nancy Kress's "By Fools Like Me," and Ramsey Shehadeh's " ...more
Amanda
Dec 06, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Finally done!

It always takes me ages to finish an anthology (because I read them in between novels), but my god did this take forever! This is hands down one of the worse and one of the most pretentious anthologies I have ever read. Also, if you read a lot of them like I do, then you will most likely recognize many of the stories featured here since none of them are new. They are all previously published stories.

My biggest problem was how pretentious and tedious most of these stories were. Many
Oleksandr Zholud
Aug 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the second anthology that follows quite famous in some circles Wastelands: Stories of the Apocalypse. Just like the previous book, it contains stories about the end of the world and what comes next :)
There are several strong stories, but I personally liked the first book better – some of the stories, like The Amarisk Hunter by Paolo Bacigalupi and When We Went To See the End of the World by Robert Silverberg are quite good, but I’ve read them before. The same goes for the first part of B
Theresa
Mar 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Okay, so....

I picked this up from the local library on a whim and I've read about six stories. They're good stories but they all end on such a horribly depressing note that I don't want to keep going.

I don't mind when there is a period of despair or hopelessness in what I'm reading, but that's all there is in these stories. Just unending, unceasing, grinding hopelessness. And I can't do it. I can't keep going forward knowing that the next story will be just as sad and grimdark as the ones that h
Colleen
Nov 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well the first collection was STELLAR and this one comes pretty close to the last one. The Postman was an unexpected find--I vaguely remembered the Kevin Costner movie but found the novella in this collection fantastic.

Some stories are miss, some show great promise but I think fell a little short of the mark. Orson Scott Card's The Elephants of Poznan was one of those for me. Humans basically wiped out and the few remaining ones sterile and the earth gets taken over by elephants? The story sort
Raymond Thomas
Jan 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: airport-fiction
Overall I really liked this collection of apocalyptic stories. There were several stories that really tried my patience, particularly one about two hyper-vapid Millennial bloggers who are so god awful that, in the midst of the end of the world, they take the time to express jealousy over the amount of traffic each of their blogs is getting! I'm not sure if this is meant as satire, and I can't tell if that would make it better or worse. Like most anthologies though, there are great stories to bal ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Apocalypse Whenever: MARCH 2017: "Wastelands 2 - More Stories of the Apocalypse" 141 155 Feb 15, 2019 06:55PM
Has publication been delayed? 3 13 Feb 12, 2014 03:51AM

• After: Nineteen Stories of Apocalypse and Dystopia
  • The Zombie Survival Guide: Recorded Attacks
  • Extinction End (The Extinction Cycle, #5)
  • Extinction Aftermath (The Extinction Cycle, #6)
  • Let the Old Dreams Die
  • Extinction War (The Extinction Cycle #7)
  • Extinction Evolution (The Extinction Cycle, #4)
  • Fallout 4 Vault Dweller's Survival Guide Collector's Edition: Prima Official Game Guide
  • Eternity Road
  • The Last Sherlock Holmes Story
  • Asia's Reckoning: China, Japan, and the Fate of U.S. Power in the Pacific Century
  • Chernobyl
  • Crysis: Legion
  • An American Plague: The True and Terrifying Story of the Yellow Fever Epidemic of 1793
  • For the Sake of the Game: Stories Inspired by the Sherlock Holmes Canon
  • Dusty's Diary: One Frustrated Man's Zombie Apocalypse Story
  • Dead Space: Catalyst
John Joseph Adams is the series editor of BEST AMERICAN SCIENCE FICTION AND FANTASY. He is also the bestselling editor of many other anthologies, such as ROBOT UPRISINGS, DEAD MAN'S HAND, BRAVE NEW WORLDS,WASTELANDS, and THE LIVING DEAD. Recent and forthcoming books include WHAT THE #@&% IS THAT?, OPERATION ARCANA, PRESS START TO PLAY, LOOSED UPON THE WORLD, and THE APOCALYPSE TRIPTYCH (consisti ...more