Start by marking “What Changes Everything” as Want to Read:
What Changes Everything

What Changes Everything

What Changes Everything is truly an American story on an international stage, told through an ensemble of heartening characters. In a gamble to save her kidnapped husband’s life, Clarissa Barbery makes the best decisions she can in the dark nights of Brooklyn. Stela Sidorova, who owns a used bookstore in Ohio, writes letter after letter hoping to comprehend the loss of a s ...more
Published May 21st 2013 by Unbridled Books

To ask other readers questions about What Changes Everything, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Changes Everything

Kalen
May 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013-reads
**** 1/2

Fantastic. Another powerful, complex book from Masha Hamilton. I am always in awe of the rare author who can pack *so much* into so few pages--this one comes in at just 262. But there is so much in those pages, more than I've gotten out of books twice the size. These characters and their stories will be in my head for a long time.

Ariel
May 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
I thought this book was really well done. I usually have a hard time with narratives that jump back and forth between several characters, but this one managed to weave itself together in a pretty tight-knit way. I genuinely liked most of the characters, and their feelings came through strongly and authentically. I will say that each main character is treated fairly superficially; I think you could write an entire book about Clarissa, or Amin, or Todd, or Stela, or Danil. But I enjoyed the snapsh ...more
Jessica
May 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
I thought this was really powerful, and I liked the varying perspectives. I wish it had been slightly longer so we could get to know the characters better.
Kathy
Jul 04, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars. There are two reasons why this is not a solid 4 from me. The first reason is that for the first part of the book, I had to keep going back to figure out who the characters were, and how they were connected (I almost made myself a cheat sheet). Once I got into the book, however, I was transported, and felt each character's anguish. There is nothing easy about Afghanistan as this book clearly points out.

My second criticism of this book is that some of the characters were stereotypical,
Vera Marie
Oct 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Before you even open this book, you get a treat. The dust jacket is the most striking cover art I’ve seen this year. And the style and choice of artwork becomes clear when you read the book. I spend a lot of time complaining about book covers, so I wanted to take this opportunity to praise the publisher, Unbridled Books and designers David Ryski and Kathleen Lynch.

Even better–in this case you CAN tell a book by its cover. What Changes Everything is as innovative, arresting, gritty, relevant and
Val
Jan 12, 2014 rated it it was ok
This book was bleh. I wanted to like it so badly but I'm not a fan of third person POV- Anthony Marra really made me think novels in third person could be as phenomenal as his. (A Constellation of Vital Phenomena). The writing wasn't anything special- some lines were nice but others were irritating and kind of made me want to throw the book across the room. I started out this book believing that I could love it but as I continued, it became boring and repetitive.

Also, the characters weren't deve
Serena
Jul 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
What Changes Everything by Masha Hamilton is a look at the reverberating impact of war on not only the countries directly affected, but also those countries who send people to help refugees and the injured. Todd Barbery coordinates aid for refugees and hospitals with the help of his Afghan contact, Amin. Todd is far from his wife Clarissa of about three years and his only daughter Ruby, who is just beginning her own life, but while Clarissa fears for his safety and has wrestled a promise from hi ...more
Berta Devant
Oct 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love this book because it gives you a glimpse of how war effects everyone, not only the soldiers that fight it. The story follows an asrtist who lost his brother, a mother whose son came back crimpled and needs to understand why he is depressed and a man that trying to help Afghan people gets kidnap and his newly wife who doesnt believe on violence.

All this characters find each other in situations they shouldnt, casualties of a war they arent fighting. This book is so greatly written it will
Florinda
Jun 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
As she shifts between the perspectives of half a dozen characters, Masha Hamilton explores geopolitical conflict through the individual experiences of a kidnapped relief worker and his wife, two soldiers and their families, and a deposed political leader refusing to be exiled from his native land. That land, and the common bond between these characters, is Afghanistan, and what happens there is What Changes Everything.

MORE: http://www.3rsblog.com/2013/06/book-t...
Laurie
Feb 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really loved this book.I'm not sure Mandy's story was necessary and very little time was spent on it.Otherwise i liked the way the stories tied in together.One of those books that will keep me thinking for a long time.
Charlotte
Jun 09, 2017
Lindsay Kramer
Jun 13, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »
Masha Hamilton is the author of five novels: Staircase of a Thousand Steps, (2001) a Booksense pick by independent booksellers and a Barnes & Noble Discover Great New Writers selection; The Distance Between Us, (2004) named one of the best books of the year by Library Journal, The Camel Bookmobile, (2007) also a Booksense pick, and 31 Hours, named by the Washington Post as one of the best book ...more