Start by marking “UX for Lean Startups” as Want to Read:
UX for Lean Startups

UX for Lean Startups

Great user experiences (UX) are essential for products today, but designing one can be a lengthy and expensive process. With this practical, hands-on book, you’ll learn how to do it faster and smarter using Lean UX techniques. UX expert Laura Klein shows you what it takes to gather valuable input from customers, build something they’ll truly love, and reduce the time it ...more
Published May 23rd 2013 by O'Reilly Media (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about UX for Lean Startups, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about UX for Lean Startups

Start your review of UX for Lean Startups
Jose Papo
May 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Laura Klein's book is fantastic. If you are expecting a web design, interaction design or color/look-feel design then you are in the wrong place. Laura writes about those things, but his focus is to show how a product team using the Lean Startup method need to iterate and test continuously the User Experience.

The best subjects and insights I liked in her book:

-- How to do Early Validation of problem/solution

-- Tips about MVP Experiments like Landing Pages, Concierge MVP, Fakes, Wizard of Oz, etc
Alper Çuğun
Nov 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Too familiar for me to gain much from reading this but for anybody who doesn't do digital product design professionally, this book is a go-to resource if they need to get up to speed.
Valentin
Jan 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: design
This could be a good intro book if it is your first in both Lean and UX. I was expecting a bit more being a UX-focused book but I was not impressed. "Don't make me think" makes for a much better UX book, and reading "The Lean Startup" + either Running Lean or Lean Analytics makes everything in this book intuitive.
Ahmad hosseini
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book can be useful for entrepreneurs, product designers, owners and managers.
Book did not have new things for me because I had read Lean UX before it. At the end of the book, the author put a summary of the book:
User research: Listen to your users. All the time. I mean it.
Validation: When you make assumptions or create hypotheses, test them before spending lots of time building products around them.
Design: Iterate. Iterate. Iterate.
Paulina
Dec 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Super interesting read with lots of actionable advice, would recommend to anyone working in the IT world ...more
Arunabh D
Apr 30, 2019 rated it did not like it
The author goes overboard with her terrible writing skills trying to make her content sound interesting and comical, but fails only to be a drab read. The informal writing is just terrible.

Coming to the content part, it’s repetitive and it’s highly opinionated to the author’s narrow perspective of design. The examples used to illustrate her point are used from a mocking perspective, and don’t add any value. Someone really needs to work on better scripting before trying to be comical.

Such a
Steve
Aug 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: at-office
With a lively, if somewhat irreverant , tone , Laura Klein guides you through the process of starting a venture using UX as a gateway into finding a market and success. This book has pragmatic advice on what to do and how to do it now, and more importantly, what not to spend time on. Not just a concept book, this book discusses tools and detailed approaches. Klein addresses many of the concerns people might have about "skipping steps" in order to be lean, and explains the both the challenges and ...more
Arnold Saputra
Jan 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Finish it within 3 days! #MONSTERKILL
Laura Klein have a great and practical book. The message are so direct and had minimum example or sucess story. Lean UX are the new perspective and methodology to validate your idea, design and product immidiately and had lot of itteration. Always validate at all stages of developing process.

This book teach us to research, doing validation, design a MVP, and we should build an interactive prototype for better validation process. Laura also teach us how to A/B
Jess
Jan 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It explains UX design in the context of lean startups. It’s a great read for anyone, even if you don’t work at a startup. And it made me laugh out loud several times as I was reading. (I listen to Laura’s podcast, What is Wrong with UX, so I’m familiar with her sarcastic sense of humor.)

Laura shows you how to validate hypotheses with UX tools like user research. She goes into detail about the different user research methods out there and when to use them.

I’m glad
eingy
Jul 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great read on the high-priority things to focus on in order to save resources while serving your users, your customers, and your business as well as possible. It says it's for "Lean Startups" and indeed it would be much easier to apply 100% quickly to an organization that already identifies itself as a Lean Startup, as getting buy-in in larger, more slow-moving organizations will be harder, but it's worth a read, even if your company is thousands people big and ships on a multi-year schedule.

The
Kars
Jan 23, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
A ruthlessly pragmatic guide to doing user research, design and testing for non-designers in lean startup environments. I am not the book's audience, I mostly read it to validate some assumptions I made during my recent tenure as a product manager and designer at a startup, and was mostly satisfied by the end. Klein tries to spice up what would otherwise be rather dry material with a somewhat flippant tone of voice. It didn't always work for me. For people seeking advice on how to do design ...more
Jordan
Jan 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Decent book with sensible advice - I'd call it a strong 3 / 5.

Main points were:
* test your ideas early and continuously
- qualitatively (user interviews & observation) for open-ended questions
- quantitatively (A/B testing) for well-formed either-or questions
* prototype early and add incrementally

Only two things I think could have been improved:
* felt very repetitive to me
* the tone didn't help me respect the material (but maybe I'm just old school?) a little "flippant", and sort of
Morgane
Feb 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was hilarious, smart, and insightful. Klein does an excellent job of explaining both "what" and "why", and it makes for a very convincing book. I wish every company worked like this. Also I want to work with her now.
Kevin Albrecht
Wow. This is the book for designing user interaction. Anyone who is designing or ever plans to design a user interface needs to read this.
Leisa Michelle
May 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great introduction for people who don't really know much about UX Design. It was well written, pretty funny, and valuable. Only downside for me was that it seemed a little bit repetitive. Still worth the read though!

The introduction of the book talked about what Lean UX is and isn’t. It was compared to Agile Design and User-Centered Design, which meant nothing to me, to be honest. The actual definition was irrelevant to why I was reading this book - I care more about the practice and benefits of
Amrit
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2018
This is 3rd Lean book that I have read on Lean, the first two being Lean Startup and Lean Analytics. I can vouch this is definitely one of the best books and strongly recommend to anyone who has an idea about solution to a problem and wants to convert that to a product. The book offers practical advice for validating all that you need towards building a product.

The book starts by offering advice on how to conduct qualitative research on the idea to check if customers really need that and then
Dylan Stephenson
Jun 17, 2019 rated it liked it
To the author's credit, this book contains some good information on a no bullshit approach Ux for companies in the early stages. What really lost me was the authors mocking style to make points. The whole book felt a little arrogant.

Here's this really stupid idea--so do this instead, and just to reiterate, the person who thought of the first idea was stupid was the reoccurring theme of the book.

Ultimately it's the kind of book which could have been summed up in one chapter. I would recommend
Gin
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I had much fun reading this book Laura Klein is not only good UX designer, she also writes hellova fun and entertaining. This book is for all designers and product owners, entrepreneurs or anyone actually having some product and wanting to make it successful. She goes into details about analytics and testing side of UX and how to implement any ne iteration. A must read.
Justin
Jun 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Didn't expand that much over "The lean Startup". Wasn't very concise.
This is probably quite useful for designers (I am a developer); especially those who haven't yet read "The lean Startup"
Mahmoud Ghoz
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is detailing the validation part in the lean Startup.
The book is highly recommended
Andrew
Dec 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Interesting, rhetorical.
Ricardo Praelli
Apr 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
A great book on Lean UX for entrepreneurs. A solid 4 stars from me.
Sara
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Rarely write a review but Laura has such a way of saying things that are impactful and also light, funny and memorable. Real actions that can be started today. Just a great read.
Nicola De Filippo
Mar 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good book, wih some repetition
Amar Bhullar
Jan 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Good explanation on how to use lean methodology on user experience for tech startups
Gomz
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved the book. Well edited chapters make good reading.
Samantha
Nov 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Great for complete beginners to UX. Detailed outline of the process, and lots of tips and tricks.
Jay Yeo
Aug 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Nothing extremely original if you've been reading up on agile and user-centered design. But there's a couple of decent takeaways:

Find out what users say they want, and the motivation behind it, in order to build what they really want. Create hypotheses and test them.

You don't need to test with a statistically significant number of people each time, because obvious problems surface after about 5 people and the rest is wastage.

A/B testing helps you optimise your results for variations on a
Johnny
Jul 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
UX for Lean Startups is a good read for everyone interested in UX. I especially liked the ideas on experimenting with a few users to get a qualitative feedback on how your design works. And the best is that you can get that kind of feedback for the price of a few cups of coffee. The first part on analytics covered all I had expected from Lean Analytics in the same series by O'Reilly. Therefore UX for Lean Startups is a great replacement for Lean Analytics.

However, I didn’t like the writing style

Milele
May 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved Laura's book. As I read it I kept on putting it down thinking "I need to put this down and go follow her advice IMMEDIATELY" and then I would pick it up because I wanted to learn more and hear more of her voice. Since I know Laura I could hear her voice advising, explaining, and gently mocking commonly-held falsehoods. The tone combines with the topic matter to break down pre-conceptions, to convince and teach.

Laura's advice is incredibly practical. Having just been through a startup I

• Lean Analytics: Use Data to Build a Better Startup Faster
  • Running Lean: Iterate from Plan A to a Plan That Works
  • The Lean Entrepreneur: How Visionaries Create Products, Innovate with New Ventures, and Disrupt Markets
  • Lean UX: Applying Lean Principles to Improve User Experience
  • Management 3.0: Leading Agile Developers, Developing Agile Leaders
  • Lean Customer Development (Hardcover Version): Building Products Your Customers Will Buy
  • Do More Faster: Techstars Lessons to Accelerate Your Startup
  • The Entrepreneur's Guide to Customer Development: A cheat sheet to The Four Steps to the Epiphany
  • The Founder's Dilemmas: Anticipating and Avoiding the Pitfalls That Can Sink a Startup
  • The Principles of Product Development Flow: Second Generation Lean Product Development
  • The Startup Owner's Manual: The Step-By-Step Guide for Building a Great Company
  • Lean Enterprise: How High Performance Organizations Innovate at Scale
  • The Four Steps to the Epiphany: Successful Strategies for Startups That Win
  • Kanban: Successful Evolutionary Change for Your Technology Business
  • The Innovator's Solution: Creating and Sustaining Successful Growth
  • Getting Real: The Smarter, Faster, Easier Way to Build a Web Application
  • Value Proposition Design: How to Create Products and Services Customers Want

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
“Here is the worst possible way for you to try to figure out if your idea solves somebody’s problem: Ask them. The vast majority of entrepreneurs seem to think that explaining their concept in detail to a few people and then asking whether it’s a good idea constitutes validation. It does not.” 0 likes
“In fact, one of the only things harder than building an intuitive, delightful, innovative, easy-to-use product is hiring a designer to do it for you.” 0 likes