Start by marking “Spiritual Ecology: The Cry of the Earth” as Want to Read:
Spiritual Ecology: The Cry of the Earth

Spiritual Ecology: The Cry of the Earth

4.33  ·  Rating details ·  245 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Showing the deep connection between our present ecological crisis and our lack of awareness of the sacred nature of creation, this series of essays from spiritual and environmental leaders around the world shows how humanity can transform its relationship with the Earth. Combining the thoughts and beliefs from a diverse range of essayists, this collection highlights the cu ...more
Published July 1st 2013 by The Golden Sufi Center (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Spiritual Ecology, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spiritual Ecology

Wil
Jul 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is certainly the most powerful book I have read in years and one that I hope to continue reading for the rest of my life.

Spiritual Ecology is a collection of essays written by religious/spiritual and environmental leaders. I was blown away by the selection of authors that were chosen for this book and the insight that each of them shared. Each essay touches upon ecology in a unique, inspiring way.

I originally bought this book because I was interested in Thich Nhat Hanh, who wrote a great
Florence Millo
Jul 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Don't you love it when a book puts into words what you have felt but couldn't articulate? That is what this book did for me-- things I had pondered and felt but couldn't quite turn into words.
This is a collection of essays by several thoughtful, spiritual people writing from a variety of perspectives. All point toward a lack spiritual groundedness at the core of the ecological devastation we are currently participating in.
It is not a book to be read in one easy sitting but should be read slowl
Melissa
Jul 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book and fought the urge to highlight and apply tabs to every page, but only because it was the library's copy...my own copy coming soon.

This is a fantastic collection of essays on behalf of the earth. In these varied essays, we are faced with all the ways we, as a species, fail the planet, how we started failing thousands of years ago, and how industrialization is taking us beyond the tipping point. Susan Murphy's essay really drove home ways we are failing. Through our
Guttersnipe Das
Nov 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you arrive suddenly in a foreign city, a city where you do not know the landmarks and do not speak the language, you may find yourself urgently in need a guide. In the same way, this book is vitally necessary, now that we find ourselves in a changed and unfamiliar world. If we wish to survive as a civilization, we need to find new paths - and we need to find them quickly. You would do well to call in sick to work - and stay home to read this.

A few of the texts here I'd found previously, inclu
Stephanie Bogdanich
Aug 05, 2014 rated it it was ok
I thought this would have some interesting and unique ideas about communicating about climate change but it's the same old stuff I've read elsewhere.
Justin
Sep 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: environment
This is an extraordinary compilation of short essays that successfully updates the concept of deep ecology. The well chosen authors offer a diversity of perspectives that run the entire imaginable gamut. I am especially impressed with this book because the authors are not afraid to boldly state and explore the vital spiritual dimension of ecology.

As Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee says, “In only relating to our planet from a physical perspective, much of the ecological movement perpetuates the concept of
Paul Rack
Feb 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A really important and beautiful book including reflections from leaders and thinkers in many different spiritual traditions. The theme is the soul of the planet, which is a different tack than most books like this that examine the physical side of ecological degradation. These writers are more about the degrading of our spirituality and our sense of the earth as sacred, and the disastrous consequences thereof. One essay postulated an expansion of the "I" to include our identification with the p ...more
Diogenes
May 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
There could be so much said for this collection of truly didactic and spiritual voices not only raising a heightened awareness of our increasingly sickened planet, but also rallying a call to moral arms for each and every one of us to DO SOMETHING about it, by communing with nature, appreciating the universal spirituality of life on both micro and macro levels, and by waylaying the vices of consumerism, myopic narcissism, wanton waste, ruination, and insatiable greed, for the greater good of the ...more
David Salmon
Sep 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Spiritual Ecology is a collection of essays illustrating humanities past relationships with the Earth and the current issues our relationship faces. It is beautiful, insightful and inspiring to read. Not only does it motivate you to deepen your connection to the land, it also keeps you grounded. Each writer comes from a unique background and shares their understanding of spiritual ecology in a beautiful way.
Ilona Meagher
Aug 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is so refreshing, so empowering, so magic-revealing and so human meaning-making. If your response to the environmental challenges we face (yes, they *are* serious and quite painful to digest) is to tune out and weep as if all is already lost, this book may buy you some hope.

More of us putting its concepts to practice may also buy Gaia (and all of her life forms) more time.

Daveed-yisrael Halevi
Jul 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Powerful and eloquent essays on eco-pedagogy and our need to return to a loving relationship to our ecosystem .
Dana
Jan 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
A stirring collection of essays discussing the calamity of climate change. Because of our spiritual connection to the earth, we suffer as Gaia suffers.
Daniel Behn
Most excellent, these are the great thinkers of our times. Real paradigm shifters. More to come soon!
Stacy Sevier
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ecology-earth
Earth is sacred, simple enough. My 2 favorite essays are: The World of Wonder (Thomas berry) and The Call of the Earth (Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee). This book is a call to action, to bring us back to the mindset that we are the guardians of this sacred planet and connected to every living thing. Earth is alive and crying for us to notice what is happening to our "Mother". This is not a scientific book about climate change but a collection of essays focusing on our loss of spiritual connection to the ...more
Karen
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is an inspiring collection of essays. Of course, I found some more enlightening than others, but all around good read. I hope to read more books by the essayists. I would read this again! May have to purchase a copy so I can bookmark and highlight my favorite passages!
Mylene
Aug 11, 2017 rated it liked it
kind of redundant but still a good read
Debbie Boucher
Jul 08, 2016 rated it liked it
This book is a collection of essays, and sadly the ones at the beginning tend to fall into the category of "Look at this problem! Look at that problem!" which is why I didn't rate this book more highly. There are a few that were excellent as they put forth perspectives I hadn't considered or they offered suggestions as to what an individual can do. If you have never read anything in this area, then I highly recommend this book. Its message is clear: be the change you want to see. If you have rea ...more
Jo
Jun 27, 2015 rated it liked it
I had really high expectations for this, forgetting that it's bad to go into an experience with a pre-conceived expectation. Anyway, I was disappointed. For me, this book was like preaching to the choir. And by the end, the essays were getting really repetitive because they were all themed around the same subject. However, i did enjoy reading different perspectives, and I did enjoy/learn something new from a few of the essays.
Sally
Oct 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
A fine, varied selection of essays embodying many different approaches and viewpoints, all emphasizing that people need to take a deeper view of the earth to be motivated to stop its destruction and heal the damage human beings continue to do. Overall, a hopeful book.
Maggie
Apr 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic--essays by philosophers, monks, ecologists, etc. about why we should care about conservation, global climate change, and other environmental crises.
Catherine
Jul 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
A must read ... MUST!!!
Sara
Nov 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is a wake up call that we all need to experience!
Laryssa
Mar 02, 2014
Erin
Mar 15, 2016
Insight Environme...: Discussion Questions 6 17 Feb 26, 2015 08:40PM
Insight Environme...: Discussion --Spiritual Ecology: The Cry of the Earth 1 8 Aug 27, 2013 01:27PM
  • Ecopsychology: Restoring the Earth/Healing the Mind
  • Wild Mind: A Field Guide to the Human Psyche
  • The Resilient Farm and Homestead: An Innovative Permaculture and Whole Systems Design Approach
  • Listening to the Land: Conversations about Nature, Culture and Eros
  • A Rough Ride to the Future
  • Deep Ecology for the Twenty-First Century
  • The Humane Economy: How Innovators and Enlightened Consumers Are Transforming the Lives of Animals
  • Pagan Visions for a Sustainable Future
  • The Weekend Homesteader: A Twelve-Month Guide to Self-Sufficiency
  • Infinite Life
  • Animism: Respecting the Living World
  • World as Lover, World as Self
  • Original Wisdom: Stories of an Ancient Way of Knowing
  • The Secret Teachings of Plants: The Intelligence of the Heart in the Direct Perception of Nature
  • Artemis: The Indomitable Spirit in Everywoman
  • Replenishing the Earth: Spiritual Values for Healing Ourselves and the World
  • Planting in a Post-Wild World: Designing Plant Communities for Resilient Landscapes
  • The Great Work: Our Way into the Future
Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee is a Sufi mystic.

Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee (born 1953, London) is a Sufi mystic and lineage successor in the Naqshbandiyya-Mujaddidiyya Sufi Order. He is an extensive lecturer and author of several books about Sufism, mysticism, dreamwork and spirituality.

:: History
Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee was born in London in 1953. He began following the Naqshbandiyya-Mujaddidiyya Sufi path at the
More about Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee...

Nonfiction Deals

• The Autobiography of Malcolm X
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Love, Loss, and What We Ate: A Memoir
    $11.24 $1.99
“The world is not a problem to be solved; it is a living being to which we belong. The world is part of our own self and we are a part of its suffering wholeness. Until we go to the root of our image of separateness, there can be no healing. And the deepest part of our separateness from creation lies in our forgetfulness of its sacred nature, which is also our own sacred nature.” 4 likes
“The world is not a problem to be solved; it is a living being to which we belong. The world is part of our own self and we are a part of its suffering wholeness. Until we go to the root of our image of separateness, there can be no healing. And the deepest part of our separateness from creation lies in” 1 likes