Start by marking “Take Back the Economy: An Ethical Guide for Transforming Our Communities” as Want to Read:
Take Back the Economy: An Ethical Guide for Transforming Our Communities

Take Back the Economy: An Ethical Guide for Transforming Our Communities

In the wake of economic crisis on a global scale, more and more people are reconsidering their role in the economy and wondering what they can do to make it work better for humanity and the planet. In this innovative book, J. K. Gibson-Graham, Jenny Cameron, and Stephen Healy contribute complex understandings of economics in practical terms: what can we do right now, in ou
Published May 9th 2013 by Univ Of Minnesota Press (first published May 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Take Back the Economy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Take Back the Economy

Start your review of Take Back the Economy: An Ethical Guide for Transforming Our Communities
Amu
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Olisin halunnut tykätä tästä kirjasta. Nuorempana olisinkin todennäköisesti innostunut siitä. Nyt se tuntui monelta kohdin auttamattoman naiivilta. Myös käännös on paikoin jäykkä, suoraan suomeksi kirjoitetut osiot ovat huomattavasti sujuvampaa kieltä.

Eniten teoksessa häiritsee poliittisen kontekstin puute. Esimerkkejä eettisemmästä taloudesta annetaan Australiasta, USAsta, Isosta-Britanniasta ja useammasta kehitysmaasta ja Suomesta. Tutkimustyöllä olisi saanut selville millainen kukin maa on to
Celeste
Aug 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: july-2020
We as a global society are facing so many problems right now. As Americans, we are facing even more. Take Back the Economy makes a persuasive case that many individual economic decisions can help our society as a whole: choose to buy items from companies that don't hurt the environment. Buy local. Make conscious choices about where you work and the many different ways: paid, unpaid, consumer, producer--you contribute. It's a complex books, but these are complex issues.
Ashton Ellen Santo
Sep 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, favorites
A brilliant book that takes Marxist economics and parses them into words that novices can understand, without simplifying sophisticated ideas. All the examples this book gives of people and communities making strides toward a better future give me hope for the world.
Julia Landgraf
Aug 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: capitalismo
Adorei esse livro. Apesar de ser teórico, também traz alguns exercícios e formas de pensar a teoria na vida cotidiana - o que me parece ponto essencial se queremos pensar em uma luta contra o capitalismo e transformação social.
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Clearly written with lots of examples and useful tips.
Dex
Aug 01, 2020 added it
I wanted to re-read this to remember some of the chapters particularly on property in business. Such a compelling yet simple book. Absolutely love it.
Robert
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
But, there are no better options, other systems had failed, critics of the current system do not propose alternatives...
Yes, there are options, now, and many more in the future.
Deborah Konecny
Just not convinced that the book accomplished all it set out to do. The author was successful in making the field of economics more accessible. I am not afraid to peek into books on economy; however, it is not a guide. This popular educator hungers for more tools and tips for putting the principles and theories into practice.

Perhaps that is a book in the making for Catalyst and I?
M.B. Bunnell
Apr 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
A really interesting way to look at the world around you. I am a more aware person having read this.
Kelly Dombroski
Jan 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I read this in a reading group with academic colleagues and also assigned some chapters to my class. However I think it would be much more appropriate to read as a community group or a family!
Monster
Nov 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: grad-school
I would love to teach this praxis to teenagers.
Charles Santiago
Jan 02, 2019
Katie King
Jun 19, 2019
Matt M Perez
rated it did not like it
Aug 30, 2020
Oct 26, 2019
Mike Gismondi
Oct 27, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »

• The One Thing You Need to Know About Great Managing, Great Leading, and Sustained Individual Success
  • Humanocracy: Creating Organizations as Amazing as the People Inside Them
  • Rethinking Money: How New Currencies Turn Scarcity into Prosperity
  • The Structure of Scientific Revolutions
  • Tribal Leadership: Leveraging Natural Groups to Build a Thriving Organization
  • O homem infelizmente tem que acabar
  • Change the World Without Taking Power: The Meaning of Revolution Today
  • Dreams in a Time of War
  • Lauren Ipsum
  • Chief Culture Officer: How to Create a Living, Breathing Corporation
  • Read & Riot: A Pussy Riot Guide to Activism
  • From Hierarchy to High Performance: Unleashing the Hidden Superpowers of Ordinary People to Realize Extraordinary Results
  • Eighty Days: Nellie Bly and Elizabeth Bisland's History-Making Race Around the World
  • Managing the Unmanageable: Rules, Tools, and Insights for Managing Software People and Teams

News & Interviews