Start by marking “antología de entradas inéditas del blog de un empleado mexicano de panda express” as Want to Read:

"This book is dark and electric with all the immediate, physical anxiety of being female and, beyond that, human. It's a totally fascinating downward spiral through sex and television and pills and blogging and love and alcohol, strangers and friends and despair, all knit together with tender emotional realness."
- Michelle Tea, author of VALENCIA

"With her mixture of immedi
Published October 2012 by Dakota Editora (first published November 15th 2011)

Start your review of antología de entradas inéditas del blog de un empleado mexicano de panda express
Harris
i am not sure what to think about this. i am bemused. my sister has told me to stop using that word. she calls it a hipster word. i don't know, i still like it. it fits me.

i checked selected unpublished blog posts of a mexican panda express employee out at the library because i saw it on goodreads and i wanted to read something from muumuu house after i read shoplifting from american apparel.

i think that i will write a review in the style of megan boyle's writing as the best way to respond. i do
Em
Apr 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've been carrying this book around with me for the past 1.5 weeks. It's a talisman, for me. I read it out of order first, and now I am rereading it in order. So much could be said for the argument for the significance of the banal, but what I've found is that Megan's honesty makes me feel both safe and unhinged. I think we would be friends. This book has shown me in some small way that you can know the gross, intimate, boring details of someone and still love them.
Natalie
May 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
most of this book felt like thoughts that have crossed my mind but never put down into words

i feel like i enjoyed this because—for example, the ‘chapters’ with ‘every thought i had while walking to school’, or ‘lies i have told’ or ‘everyone i had sex with’—are inherently interesting: that denial of preference for one thought over another, a subjective choice that refutes value judgement that comes with the selection of what is included in these lists (or non-selection since every thought is rec
Ryan  Smith
Oct 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
'Selected...' is a rich addition to the catalog of Muumuu House, a sort of literary, cultural bastion for young writers that resonate thematically with the work of founder and internet-famous 'symbol', Tao Lin.

This enjoyably ambiguous 'collective' centers often around anxious-yet-stoic, stream-of-consciousness, I'm-okay-really-but-what-am-I-doing-with-my-life work of a complex flavor that many describe as the signature zeitgeist/milieu/something of my generation, a claim I have knee-jerk reacti
David Schaafsma
This book was not written for me, a 62 year old male academic. Yet I teach graphic novels and YA and read "confessional" poetry and memoirs like The Liar's Club, which is a story about an east-Texas train wreck of a family, so I'm not a typical academic. And I like experimental lit, absurdist stuff, and I WAS her age and was then writing about myself, journaling and teaching journaling. And maybe this advocates memoirs and maybe it is ironic, and I like that tension.

Is Megan Boyle Mexican? Did s
Stacey Teague
Dec 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i borrowed jackson's copy of this

probably the best book i have read in a while

i like megan boyle, she seems funny and cheeky

places i read this book:

alice's front porch
alice's bed
a plane
my bed

i laughed so much i was crying re: "thought about a world where pokemon accompany you in the shower and wash your body/hair as you stand with your eyes closed"

like i think i kept turning back to that page afterwards and laughing more and more

idk why i found it so funny
Justin Carter
Dec 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My review from banangolit.com:

selected unpublished blog posts of a mexican panda express employee is Megan Boyle’s first book and it is a very interesting debut.

The first thing the reader notices about the book is the form it takes: the poems/ pieces seem to be arranged chronologically, so the reader feels like, in a way, they are reading a diary of Megan Boyle’s life. And this diary seems interesting. Included in it is Boyle’s piece “everyone I’ve had sex with”, which was originally published a
Kelly Waks
Sep 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Honestly, when I started to read the first few pages, I thought this book was just random ideas that some people have everyday but that one person decided to write down. As I continued to read, I found an honestly through the comments that interest you as the reader, making you feel almost that you shouldn't know these certain things written down, but fascinated at the same time that you do.
Nikki
Mar 31, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kind of like chatting with your best friend in the middle of the night when you're both punchy as hell and being way too candid.

One of the best parts is a list (with detailed descriptions) of everyone she's had sex with.

Her writing is honest and weird and hilarious.

You will want to be her friend. If you are me.

Favorite bit:
"I'm looking for a two to five year relationship with a man similar enough to me so we feel like we have a special, secret kind of bond, but different enough so we have thi
Jamie Neith
Jul 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is funny, weirdly psychedelic, and good. It's the type of book that when you're reading it, the things written almost feel like memories...like familiar or something. I have always loved Megan as a writer, have been following her blogs all the way from diaryland days. She writes in a voice that I can relate to because it's one of a disconnected but very self aware human like many other humans in our generation, myself included. She makes it seem okay to feel lonely or depressed or shit ...more
Vicky
Feb 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hey Megan Boyle, I really enjoyed this. Totally honest, totally true. I hardly underlined anything because I knew I would underline everything.
Corey
it feels too easy or unoriginal or something to write this review in the style of megan boyle but then again it's too tempting not to

i don't like that i liked this book so much. it feels like something that's 'targeted' at my 'demographic,' which for some reason makes me resent it. but i did like it

megan boyle used to work at a used bookshop across the street from where i now go to school. i wish i got to meet her and ask her for book recommendations. maybe i still can someday. i kind of want me
Brisa
Dec 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
“Selected, Unpublished Blog Posts of a Mexican Panda Express Employee” reveals a young woman’s perspective on her life regarding work, college, relationships, and just plain living through a series of blog entries. There are many random anecdotes about life which we all think about, but very few choose to write about in this particular form. I’m glad that I received it as part of the First-Reads program! What I especially loved about this work is that it is presented as a roller coaster of raw, ...more
Downward
Mar 06, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Okay. I mean, yes, there is value to the hyper sincerity that Megan Boyle achieves here. There is both heartbreak and humor in her laying these thoughts and emotions bare to the world, both confessions about tragedy and quirky thoughts she has had in the shower evoked by the same affectless tone. But the occasional spikes of emotion and laughter are surrounded by the flatline of nonevent, prose so style-less that it has itself become a style. The aesthetic decisions here were made with a colland ...more
Curtis
Nov 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: journal-prose
This book sparked my creativity and provided a lot of writing prompts. Selected Unpublished Blog Posts of a Mexican Panda Express Employee is funny, relatable, and a little sad. Imagine the pretty girl you've admired from afar, then imagine an intimate peek inside her world.

Lately, I've been listening to Juliana Hatfield's new album and I've decided that Megan Boyle might be the literary equivalent. Hatfield's first solo album, 1992's "Hey Babe," was an impressive, confessional debut full of hoo
Hannah Swanwick
Jun 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i liked it
only i wish where it said
'i want to see a periodic table of emotions, i want to see flow charts'
it said emoticons instead of emotions because that is what i read it as and then when reread the line i was mildly put out
and also i really liked this bit
during the movie i kept thinking 'dave eggers dave eggers dave eggers white person quirky white people white people liberal meaningful liberal dave eggers white meaningful quirky'
near the end of the movie there was an image of a piece of
Dirk
Sep 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wrote a couple of longer reviews of this book because I ordered a galley copy and felt guilty if I didn't write a "real" review. I read some reviews other people wrote and figured that was about as much as could be said. All I can say otherwise is that I like this book a lot and hope a lot of people read it because it has pretty much everything I ever wanted from a "poetry" book and would hope other people feel the same way as I.
Nandikesha
Jul 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: humans and some other animals
Shelves: poetry, small-press
sweet, you mean i can just express things with straight forward honesty? i read it and smiled a lot and read it again and this book put a pen back in my hand. it is nectar to me. i appreciate that as fully as i can.
Tom Bensley
Nov 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think that, for me, the appeal of Megan Boyle's insanely titled Selected Unpublished Blog Posts of a Mexican Panda Express Employee (a title which has been running through my head for weeks, I just like the way it sounds), is that it invites self reflection. Not in a moral, "what would I sacrifice if I were captured by terrorists who threatened me and my country" kind of way, though. Boyle has an odd mind, one that thinks and writes things like:

"i stop thinking about my purpose in life when my
Philip Gordon
Oct 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just finished reading this book and I'm pretty sure I liked it a lot. It didn't give me the sort of angry disefranchisement over 'trying-too-hard' that I get when I read a lot of 'alt-lit' stuff. It's the only book in Muumuhouse's store labeled as prose, but it felt like poetry to me.

I think the most important quality of Megan Boyle's writing is that she's observant. Anyone can be in a room and transcribe their thoughts, then call that poetry, then call that 'alt-lit', then call that 'something
Bobby Dixon
Dec 21, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had previously some sections of this book online and enjoyed re-reading those parts in real life.

I had previously read, "everyone i've had sex w/" and enjoyed it.

I wonder if people read that part and thought, does that make her a slut, in much the same way people have read other literary things and thought, is this a detective story, a romance, etc., not feeling comfortable until the genre is grossly pinned down.

I feel a little self-conscious of the adverb I used in the last sentence.

I like
Julia
Jan 15, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways
I received this book for free from the goodreads first reads program.

I was excited when I saw this book on the giveaway page. I remember reading a review of this book that was pretty positive. Unfortunately I can't remember where I read it. Based on that review I entered the giveaway for this book. When I actually received the book in the mail, I was surprised. I did not realize that this is supposed to be a poetry book. Had I known that, I wouldn't have entered the giveaway. But since I had rec
Mellow Pages Library
jacob wrote a paired review for Mellow Pages Reviews with Jack Kerouac's DHARMA BUMS:

"I picture quite easily a scene in a low budget movie whereinwhich Megan Boyle is half-clothed lying on a bed (there are Christmas lights strung over an open window) and on the wind Jack Kerouac is summoning himself through a fit of Buddhist Shangri-La, into another, not-very-distant room, where he opens the tab labeled “Skype” and rings up little Megan with one very important question on his mind..."

find the re
Kate
Mar 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i really liked this book a lot
i heard my mum say when i was reading this book
'where is that jamaican music coming from oh sorry i thought it was you'
i came upstairs and read this book and it was light and then it was dark
lots of things which megan boyle said in this book made me think 'yes definitely' and also 'yes maybe' and also 'uh huh okay yes'
it seemed lonely and good
i don't know
i just had the worst sushi of ever today
orange sushi is the bad sushi
it seemed bad
it was a nice book and also i l
aleida moreno
Jun 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
reading this collection of poetry -- it is indubitably poetry -- i found myself surprised at the almost crude similarity in the speaker's everyday thoughts and my own. i thought a lot about how older people seem to think all twenty-somethings are the same and how maybe they were right and i got very sad. boyle's skill for articulating emotions and thoughts in such a raw way is quite astounding.

i felt like i "knew" her as i was reading it and wished i knew her when i was finished with it.

it's a r
Rachna
Mar 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've always liked the idea of knowing what people are thinking, and she has some pretty funny thoughts. Many of her thoughts are very relatable but ones that I think most people leave to the confines of their brains and don't ever put down on paper. I think this is diary-style stream-of-consciousness writing... not poetry, though. But then again what is or isn't poetry? I guess if she wants it to be poetry then it's poetry.

There are some pretty great lines. "Malkoviches bitches" being one.
Christoph White
As with anything published from Muumuu house I sit back after reading the book and stare at it with a puzzled look on my face. I don't know if I liked this book or not. I know I like Megan Boyle's writing but the book made my head swim. I feel like I need to be on some narcotic or psychedelic drug to true understand what is happening or to "get it".
Martyn
Sep 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I went on a bit of a journey with this title - at first I was resistant, quite self-consciously so, and thought it wasn't worth finishing. Then I started to laugh and to find themes and ideas that I could process. Finally I was thinking I do/think those exact same things!

It ended up being a great read, full of humor and humanity.
Roshan
Dec 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book. It's rare to read a book that feels like an x-ray of another person's psyche. Reading this book made me feel less lonely. If Megan wasn't being totally honest in this book she did a really good job of "tricking" us into thinking she was being honest, which is also impressive, I guess.
Jared Crampton
Nov 14, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comedy, own
Ok, I was one of the ten winners in the giveaway for this book. I have to say I picked it because it was a poetry book according to the giveaway. I have to say I am a little disapointed with the book, it was not what I thought it was going to be. But I gave it a try and its just not for me.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• This Time Together: Laughter and Reflection
  • The Dying Animal
  • Malcolm X: A Life of Reinvention

Articles featuring this book

The blogger and essayist lays bare her emotions in Selected Unpublished Blog Posts of a Mexican Panda Express Employee, her intimate debut collecti...
“being sick feels like you're wearing someone else's glasses” 32 likes