Start by marking “The Complete D.R. & Quinch ” as Want to Read:
The Complete D.R. & Quinch

The Complete D.R. & Quinch

3.78  ·  Rating details ·  599 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
From the subterrean depths of comics' most innovative mind comes a supremely deranged duo. Alan Moore (Watchmen, Promethea) and Alan Davis (Captain Britain, X-Men) are proud (and should be ashamed) to present D.R. & Quinch. Outrageous, unrestrained and heavily armed, college students D.R. & Quinch gleefully provide irredeemably poor role-modelling for today's youth ...more
Paperback, (2000 AD Presents), 96 pages
Published March 1st 2003 by Titan Books (UK) (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about The Complete D.R. & Quinch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete D.R. & Quinch

Mark Lawrence
Apr 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Alan Moore is a genius and his work's widely known through the movies it spawned: Watchmen, V for Vendetta, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen etc - some of them a tribute to the original, some a desecration. None, I understand, receiving Moore's blessings. I even read that he's never watched any of them - which shows colossal self-restraint!

In any event, as a long term reader of 2000AD comic (I started with issue 1 in 1977) one of my early introductions to Moore's work was this lesser known seri
Iain Hamilton
Feb 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Mind the Oranges Marlon!!!!
D.M.
Apr 06, 2010 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: British teenage boys
I'm a sucker for only a handful of comic authours, and Moore is one of them. Unfortunately, in the huge pile of stuff he's written, there are those things that feel like he did them in his spare time. This is one of those.
Granted, he was a much younger man (and a much less experienced writer) when he did these stories. I suspect, however, that's less to blame for my dislike of the collection than that this is 2000 AD fodder, and really just the sort of thing bookish British males seem unable to
Ron
Aug 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
I originally read every tale in this collection in very cheap newspapers that a distributor I worked for ordered from the UK. I was always delighted to find artwork by Brian Bolland on the Judge Dread tales, but this seemingly slight set of stories by Moore is both the funniest and most whimsical work he would ever produce.
Neville Ridley-smith
Apr 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Having read this 20 years ago, I wasn't sure how it was going to hold up. The cover didn't give me any confidence. However, after a bit of a slow start, things really start clicking about half way through. This stuff is funny. I actually laughed out loud on the train a couple of times.
Neven
Jul 02, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
This isn't exactly embarrassingly bad or morally abhorrent, but it's such lightweight fare for Moore, it barely has any teeth or brains to it. Published around the same time as the very likeable and interesting Halo Jones, it doesn't come close in terms of sheer writing quality.
Yotam Kadosh
Jul 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I'm A sucker of Moore's works. This is another proof that the man is a genius.
David Humphrey
Feb 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
"Mind the Oranges, Marlon!"
Gavin Williams
Jun 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of my favourite comic books series ever. EVER!
Jamie Sigal
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This collection was much funnier than I was expecting, although I don't know why I was expecting it to be less funny considering it's an Alan Moore penned comic-strip - I guess I wasn't expecting the material to still be poignant, but then again, war and violence never really do get old, do they?

I will say to the negative that this wasn't the best reproduction of the original material, I assume because they were working from the original, poorly-aged prints or something, because it had no busine
Justin Labelle
May 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Playful comic from a young Alan Moore.
Holds up incredibly well. A cross between Mad Magazine, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and the movies Summer School and Repo Man.
This is a great late at night read for 13-16 year olds and enjoyable for anyone older than that.
Nice short story arcs with loose progression in character development.
Julian
Mar 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Imagine Dennis the Menace and Gnasher. Imagine them a bit older, and alien. And imagine them if they had access to thermonuclear warheads. That just begins to give you an idea of D.R. & Quinch, the totally crazed comic from the outset of Alan Moore's career. Okay, it doesn't have the depth and sophistication of Moore's later work, with none of the characters really emerging as real in any sense, but it charges by at such an amazing pace that you just won't notice. In fact, my only real compl ...more
Mel
This book is quite fun. DR and Quinch are two sociopathic college kids from the future who go around blowing things up, killing people and causing trouble. Kinda like the Dirty pair, but without the good intentions (and bikinis!) They join the army, fall in love, and go to Hollywood (the planet not the city). I got this from the library and don't think I'll bother buying my own copy but I am glad I've read it.
Unsung Stories
Silly, bombastic, celebrating the sociopathic and generally providing the brash sort of comedy that we've come to know and love from the 2000AD world. For those not familiar with 2000AD who are expecting Moore's more cerebral stuff (Watchmen, V etc), this ain't that. I thought Pulger looked lovely in the dress.
George
Loyd
Feb 06, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels, humor
D.R. & Quinch was an early British comic by writer Alan Moore and artist Alan Davis, published by 2000 A.D. back in 1986. D.R. & Quinch is a kind of sci-fi Laurel and Hardy team with a dash of violence and totally non-social behavior. It's clever and eye-popping, but not quite up to the lofty heights of Moore's later work.
Simon
Jun 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Inspired, like so much of the early (and current)output of 2000AD magazine
genuinely funny, and intelligent at the same time.
DR and Quinch are a couple of teenage alien shitkickers from rich families, who cause mayhem on a grand scale - has to be seen to be believed
Christine
Sep 07, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: library-borrows
1980s 2000AD cheerfully nihilistic Alan Moore. Fun to read for a bit if you're in the right mood but perhaps a little repetitive all in one volume: the two protagonists are violent and incite chaos and end up OK, repeat. Recommendation: intersperse with other reading!
Travis
Sep 20, 2009 rated it really liked it
All ofAlan Moore's duo of alien con men/ Delinquents short stories are collected. Wildly odd and entertaining as they join the army, the cub scouts, fall in love, blow stuff up, go to Hollywood and cause several deaths.

Very funny stuff from back in the days before Moore got so serious
Amal El-Mohtar
Jul 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
This was rollicking and relentless and kind of terrifyingly awful in ... a fun way? It's like if Messrs. Croup and Vandermar were antisocial alien college students with no need for secrecy or silence.

Alan Davis' art, you guys. SO freakin' great.
eHawk
Oct 18, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
While I appreciated the tongue in cheek random violence of these characters, there was something a little too blunt about it for my tastes. Some of my favorite comics dwell in the deranged, but something about this felt a little too forced and juvenile.
Hamish
Apr 05, 2013 rated it liked it
Not as funny as I wanted it to be. It's got a good premise, but never really inches past "mildly amusing". However, Alan Davis drew it so, and I will say this about every Alan Davis book I ever review, it looks really good.
David
Mar 22, 2007 rated it liked it
I've never been fond of the 200ad Alan Moore, any more than the early DC sci fi short stories.
Rich
Oct 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Somewhat entertaining - obviously an early effort by Moore, but fun in his very off-kilter way.
Tim Gray
Apr 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
'nuff said.
Nicholas
Jan 13, 2010 rated it liked it
Rather one note. Don't get me wrong, it's Alan Moore and Alan Davis so it's a damn good note, but still.
Martin Taylor
Apr 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Loved it when it originally came out in 2000 AD & it still stands up quite well now!
Lynne
Jun 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd forgotten just how nonsensical these two are. Very silly! However, the extremely small text in some panels made it a bit difficult to read at times. Nice wee blast from the past though!
J K
Mar 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
brilliant
  • Judge Dredd: The Complete Case Files 02
  • Rogue Trooper: Tales of Nu-Earth, Vol. 1
  • The Complete Nemesis The Warlock: Volume 1
  • Zenith Book One: Tygers
  • Judge Dredd: The Complete Case Files 01
  • Adventures of Luther Arkwright  (Luther Arkwright, #1)
  • Judge Dredd, Volume 1
  • Shade, the Changing Man, Volume 2: Edge of Vision
  • Echo: Desert Run (Echo, #3)
  • Hellblazer: Setting Sun
  • Church and State I (Cerebus, #3)
  • The Extraordinary Works of Alan Moore
  • Corto, toujours un peu plus loin (Corto Maltese # 4)
Alan Moore is an English writer most famous for his influential work in comics, including the acclaimed graphic novels Watchmen, V for Vendetta and From Hell. He has also written a novel, Voice of the Fire, and performs "workings" (one-off performance art/spoken word pieces) with The Moon and Serpent Grand Egyptian Theatre of Marvels, some of which have been released on CD.

As a comics writer, Moor
More about Alan Moore

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Paradise Lost (The Vampire Diaries; Evensong, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Obsidian Curse (A Stacy Justice Mystery #5)
  • A History of Glitter and Blood
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Bloodstone (A Stacy Justice Mystery, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Steeplejack (Steeplejack #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Oz Reimagined: New Tales from the Emerald City and Beyond
  • The Song of Achilles
    $11.74 $1.99
  • Kushiel's Dart (Phèdre's Trilogy, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Black Tuesday (Time Patrol)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Heart of Betrayal (The Remnant Chronicles, #2)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Rogue Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #3)
  • Cloaked in Red
  • Warrior's Revenge
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Fire and Bone (Otherborn, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Pale Queen Rising (Pale Queen, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Emerald Isle (A Stacy Justice Mystery #4)
  • The Elven
  • Children of the New World
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Best of Robert E. Howard: Crimson Shadows (Volume 1)
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The Romeo Catchers (The Casquette Girls #2)
  • The Graveyard Book, Volume 1
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Devil in Silver
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet (Wayfarers, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Hunt (Disrupted Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Last Girl (The Dominion Trilogy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Quantum Thief (The Jean le Flambeur Series, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Beauty of Darkness (The Remnant Chronicles, #3)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Starship Grifters (Rex Nihilo #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fields of Fire (Frontlines, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Darwin Elevator (Dire Earth Cycle, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Country of Ice Cream Star
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Down Among the Sticks and Bones (Wayward Children, #2)
  • The Cottingley Secret
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Blood Gamble (Disrupted Magic, #2)
  • The Curiosity
  • Virtual Light
    $7.99 $1.99
  • A Closed and Common Orbit (Wayfarers, #2)