Start by marking “Widdershins (Whyborne & Griffin, #1)” as Want to Read:
Widdershins (Whyborne & Griffin, #1)

Widdershins

(Whyborne & Griffin #1)

4.10  ·  Rating details ·  7,707 ratings  ·  1,324 reviews
Alternate cover edition of ISBN-10: 0988564106 (ISBN13: 9780988564107)

Some things should stay buried.

Repressed scholar Percival Endicott Whyborne has two skills: reading dead languages and hiding in his office at the Ladysmith Museum. After the tragic death of the friend he secretly loved, he’s ruthlessly suppressed any desire for another man.

So when handsome ex-Pinkerton
Published December 4th 2012 by Jordan L. Hawk

To ask other readers questions about Widdershins, please sign up.
Ssarsfield I love this book/series. There are absolutely some strong similarities to The Bone Key at the start. Some of it is that they both draw strongly from t…moreI love this book/series. There are absolutely some strong similarities to The Bone Key at the start. Some of it is that they both draw strongly from the whole Lovecraft mythos. Some of it, well... I can see how it might look funny.

BUT, there are like six more of these books, and the development of the characters and side characters, and the ongoing story move way WAY beyond the handful of stories in The Bone Key. I'd absolutely recommend it.(less)

·  7,707 ratings  ·  1,324 reviews

Start your review of Widdershins (Whyborne & Griffin, #1)
Julio Genao
Jan 28, 2013 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Julio by: MostlyDelores
it's not you, book. it's me.

actually, that's not true at all. it's totally you.

i'm just trying not to offend all your fans, bcuz coward.

i think you were good in conception, and poor in execution. i think continuity errors—objects dropped in a panic in one scene, and reappearing like nothing in another—really went a ways toward damaging our budding rapport.

i think entire phrases being repeated in two different scenes was pretty much as bad as calling a dick a "length" six times in the same scene.
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)

A gay virgin, a paranormal, a horror, and a historical walk into a bar... wait what?

description

This book was kind of amazing... and odd... and then amazing again. I loved Whyborne and Griffin and I loved them as a couple. All sorts of deliciousness. I even liked the historical setting, something that is hit or miss for me. And of course, my love for virgins made this read simply scrumptious- I adored each blush and hesitancy from Whyborne.

I listened to the audiobook, which was both good and bad. I always
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
”I hesitated, but it was night, and words spoken in the dark can always be forgotten come the dawn.”

So this was the first book I pulled from my newly invented "Bookie Jar" and since I didn’t even know this was on my e-reader I was really surprised that I’m already in the possession of such a nice gem! *lol* I guess it was a really good idea to make my “Bookie Jar” because otherwise this might have stayed on my e-reader for eternity without me ever knowing that it even exists. XD

Anyway, let’s mov
Shile

I was late for my appointment with a dead man.

So good! SOOOOOOO GOOOOOOD! Finally i read it!

This is one of the best paranormal book i have ever read. What a surprise! I passed on this one, because i only tried the audio book the first time.

description

But... but... my wonderful buddy readers made me realize the errors of my ways.

description

MC 1: Dr. Whyborne - Quirky, adorable, awkward, somewhat of a genius and one of the most relatable MCs ever. I fell in love with him from page one. He is our main nar
Susan
Sep 16, 2013 rated it really liked it

HOLY COW! Well, I had heard some really great things about this book and it comes recommended by some amazing readers and writers so…duh…I had a feeling it was going to be GOOD.

I just had NO IDEA (my own fault…I should be paying closer attention) how action-packed, SCARY, skin-crawl-inducing, heart-pounding it would be! This is not some sweet, quiet, historical romance. Not even close. This has death, and afterlife, and grave sites, and occult practices, and SCARY CHARACTERS and at numerous time
Nataliya
Dec 09, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2020-reads
K.J. Charles ruined me for books like these, setting a standard that may be too high.

This is a story of a Lovecraftian cult in a 19th century New England town of Widdershins, in the slippery affairs of which stumbles one Percival Whyborne, a painfully repressed, self-loathing, socially inept, prissy and gawky scholar, resigned to being the punching bag of bullying coworkers and perpetual disappointment to his uptight father.
“Before Griffin had come along, I’d been living inside a photograph:
Ami
3.65 stars rounded up

This book is a historical (Victorian era) paranormal adventure romance.

What I like:

+ Despite it being historical (a genre I usually stay away from), the plot is quite adventure heavy as Percival and Griffin try to uncover mysterious cultists and evil sorcerers and terrifying monsters. It also involves museum setting -- which is something I truly like (Night at the Museum, people? Love that movie *lol*)

+ There is character development too -- which I always fully appreciate.
Martin
Apr 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This novel was like a rare perfect moment in m/m romance. And here's why:

I LOVE H.P. Lovecraft's work. His take on horror goes beyond anything I have ever read before and to me he will always be THE master of the horror genre.

description

And here I found a m/m novel that not only lovingly refers to Lovecraft's ideas and concepts, but actually takes place in the Lovecraft universe!!

How awesome is that?!

Just a few hints of what immediately capured my interest:

Dr. Whyborne refuses to follow in his father's fo
Amy Lane
Jan 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Solidly characterized, wistfully written, this book gives you a playful view to the Edwardian era in which Egyptology and obscure science held a mystical appeal, men were men and woman had all sorts of strange notions about equality. It's a classic resurrection story, in which the thing you're bringing back is way worse than the loss itself, and Percival Whyborne is an engaging, prickly hero. His painful isolation is rudely interrupted by one Griffin Flaherty, haunted ex-Pinkerton agent who has ...more
Richard Derus
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindled, quiltbag
Rating: 3.5* of five

MARCH 2020 UPDATE Author Hawk, a truly fine individual, has made this title free ONLY AT THIS LINK : https://BookHip.com/MCBLVG

The Publisher Says: Some things should stay buried.

So when handsome ex-Pinkerton Griffin Flaherty
Mandy*reads obsessively*
4.25*

I am not a fan of historical stories, mostly because I get grumpy at the treatment of woman, who are very little more than adornments and possessions and daughters are a burden.
But also because of the even more prominent social inequality, financial inequality and of course in m/m the very real threat of prison or worse as punishment for being gay.
This book covers all of those points, portrait them, but also thumbed its nose at them.

We have clumsy, brilliant, repressed, wonderful and brav
Simone
***4 solid stars***
Bildergebnis für eyes growing bigger gif

Great, that's what it is!

Loved the story (although my vivid imagination went into overdrive and I could have done without some gory visuals, but still...), loved the characters and I loved the audiobook even more. WHY THE HELL DID I WAIT SO LONG TO READ THIS????

'Nuff said, on to the next! ;-)
Macky
Jun 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Macky by: Simons reviews
What an absolute cracker! If I could up the rating on this I would. I bought it because I saw the great reviews the second book was having and wanting to read that thought it only right to start with book one to get used to the characters. One of the best decision and purchases I've made and now I'm chomping at the bit to get to Threshold Whyborne Griffin 2 which is sitting waiting not so patiently on my Kindle.

This had everything you could ask for from a m/m paranormal romance. I'm not going to
Xia Xia
4.5 stars because:
1. This is the first mystery I didn't DNF in my life, ever.
2. Magic and Alchemy
3. Percival Endicott "I speak 13 languages but I can read more" Whyborne
4. Whyborne and Griffin <3
5. Christine and her mummy
6. The villain
7. Chapter 14 and 15 which I read 5 times like an absolute addict

Highly recommended.

Thank you very much to my awesome BR friends: Ele, Linda, Moony, Rosa, Shile and Teal for the fun!
Sheri
I could say that I’m late to the party, but I don’t think one can ever truly miss a single thing with any of Hawk’s adventures. And what an adventure this was! Perhaps I was content to keep Whyborne and Griffin tucked away on my ‘someday list’ due to the time period. I had a tendency to avoid anything that could be even vaguely considered historical. Luckily, I have seen the error of my ways and no longer dismiss books with a vintage hue. Hawk takes us back to the turn of the century with this s ...more
Barbara➰
Tons of reviews out there for this but I will say I really enjoyed this book! I LOVE Whyborne...nerdy, awkward and shy..right up my alley. I so wanted him to get everything he deserved and to be loved and accepted for who he was.

Only two reasons why I'm not giving this 5 stars: I did feel like all the paranormal stuff and mystery overshadowed the romance a bit. I wanted more of them together and to see the emotional part a bit more. What I did get I absolutely loved. I love the two of them toget
Chelsea
Reread - July 2019 - so good, seriously there is a reason this series is my favourite. The writing is superb, the characters both good and bad guys, the build up,the magic and mystery. I honestly can't believe this series doesn't get worse and only gets better.

Also reading the first book again and knowing where all these characters end up is quite the mind fuck. Love it!

Review

I am soooooo glad there are more books in this series because I may have died if I couldn't read more about these two.

I
Erth
Aug 28, 2019 rated it liked it
The story isn't bad and the characters seem likable. The writing is a bit clumsy at points and the romantic parts are not really connected to the story and characters. Two dudes going at it is great and all but in this context it should be better immersed in the story. Also, the vivid and graphic depictions didn't always work. I'm not saying that women shouldn't or couldn't do certain things it's just some of the details were specific enough to conclusively realize that the author was not speaki ...more
Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰
Jul 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommended to Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰ by: Jade
"I craved him, like an opium addict craved the pipe: the sound of his voice, the touch of his hand, his mere presence in the same room."

description

Recommended to me by Jade : my fizzy confidant and expert advise giver with all that makes you feel things™

How a private detective, an archaeologist, and a comparative philologist were to thwart the plans of a powerful secret society, I had no idea.

Widdershins made me feel allll the things™ and I couldn't help but feel the different shades of self satisfact
☙ nemo ❧ (pagesandprozac)
"The world was hideously fragile, everyday life nothing more than a thin film laid over infinite depths of chaos and terror. But it was still my life, and I'd be damned if I let it be torn away without a fight."

if i don't get a TV show of this series at ONCE with ben whishaw as whyborne and alex vlahos as griffin, i am fucking rioting.

WHY YOU SHOULD READ THIS SERIES:

- magic
- steamy, sometimes a lil' angsty m/m romance
- protagonist is a nerdy classicist who is #RELATABLE (“I seldom ate out, bo
Ingie
Written February 18, 2014

4 Stars - an amazing adventure with a new couple of male lovers who reached the heights

I bought Widdershins months ago but I never found the right time to read it. At last, I did it together with my very best Brittish Buddy, Bev (her review). ~ We started on Valentine's Day and I was so excited. I have heard so many good opinions regarding this Whyborne & Griffin series.

~ Rightly so, this was a great exciting and well-written historical romance with both paranormal and c
Lois Bujold
Aug 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: readers who like early 20th C. pulp fiction in the romantic horror mode
Recommended to Lois by: Amazon links, again.
More in the string of paranormal m/m quasi-historical romances I have wandered into -- Amazon is a dangerous place late at night -- set around the turn of the last century, this time in an American setting -- a Massachusetts town straight out of H.P Lovecraft crossed with The Mummy. Quite well written, and I very much liked voice of the the narrator/protagonist, a painfully shy philologist and linguistic genius working at the local museum, who meets the man of his dreams in the form of an ex-Pin ...more
Heather C
What did I love about this book?

The Characters: They were so sweet! I love the socially impaired book nerd (Whyborne) secretly lusting after the handsome PI (Griffin). I think these two will defiantly be one of my favorite couples.

The Setting: It was dark and spooky and kind of alternate historical. It was unique with these horrible, disgusting monsters and sorcery and...just different. Hard to explain.

The Mystery: I couldn't figure it out and was shocked quite a few times. Although now th
Brian Johnson
H. P. Lovecraft meets Supernatural fanfic meets the Brendan Fraser Mummy movies, but in a rollicking good way, and I’m here for it. Widdershins is the first in a series of m/m romance/adventure novels set in a universe directly modelled on Lovecraft’s Cthulhu mythos. The main business of this first instalment is to establish the turn-of-the-century Lovecraftian setting of Widdershins and to get the two MCs together as a couple.

With regard to the former, we get Lovecraftian elements aplenty: the
LenaRibka
Dec 26, 2013 rated it liked it
A very good written adventure historical romance. You'll find all elements providing an entertaining thrilling read - a creepy resurrection Brotherhood mystery, intriguing action-packed plot, a well created Victorian time period's atmosphere, two fantastic MCs with a nice slow developed romance between them and nice sex scenes.

I can't really explain why I didn't enjoy it more. Well, I liked Widdershines more than The Magpie Lord. But I had a feeling during reading that I knew the story, a strang
Steelwhisper
4.5* Some mild spoilers below!

This was a fresh, very enjoyable read, which except for one or two niggles really warmed my heart.

I absolutely adored the balance of plot and character development, it was perfect. I sat on the edge of my chair even though I'm not (anymore) into paranormal or horror tales, still I was quite invested in the PNR plot of this and wanted things to be unravelled and come to closure. It wasn't that dime a dozen a plot either, there were several twists the results of whic
Elena
Reread in 2019
4.5 stars, again

Just as good the second time around. Not least because I got to reread with my fellow buddy readers, Linda, Moony, Rosa, Shile, Teal, and Xia.

I really enjoyed seeing how everything started, now that I know so much more about the characters and what's to come. So many details I overlooked the first time, little things I didn't know how to interpret, now take a new meaning. And I'd forgotten just enough non-essential details that some twists surprised me as if I was
Deborah
Jan 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

This series has been on my to-read list for years. In fact this book has been sitting on my kindle for 3 years.
Why did I wait so long?
I’ve absolutely no idea. But better late than never.

Percival Endicott Whyborne speaks thirteen languages and can read more. He is approached by ex Pinkerton Griffin Flaherty to translate a mysterious book.

Their relationship starts off as colleagues. They becomes friends then lovers. All while they try to solve the mystery and the world.

This was a fabulous book and
Ms. Smartarse
I got into the M/M romance genre relatively late, and mostly because I needed some respite from the overly flowery and cliche-filled vocabulary of the historical romance genre. I wanted to get that awesome feeling of reading "guilty pleasure" again, without getting hung up on language subtleties. As such, Josh Lanyon's no-nonsense approach was a welcome change, which ultimately proved to be seriously addictive.

Sort of addictive

So when my best friend called Jordan L. Hawk better than Lanyon, the comparison soun
Bark  |  Ladies Of Horror Fiction
Percival Whyborne is a shy, socially awkward kind of guy, comfortable hiding away with moldy old tomes. The thought of taking a lunch outside his office and having to actually converse with someone is out of his comfort zone. He can speak 13 languages and can read even more but he doesn’t think that any big thing.

He’s sweet and modest and hiding himself from the world for more reasons than shyness.

When Griffin Flaherty, a handsome PI walks into his life and ask Whyborne to decipher a mysterious
Vaginal Fantasy B...: GR: Widdershins Discussion 1 56 Jun 02, 2019 11:47AM
A Million More Pages: Romance BR - Widdershins - Dec 5 11 17 Dec 06, 2015 06:30PM

• Remnant: A Caldwell & Feximal/Whyborne & Griffin Mystery (The Secret Casebook of Simon Feximal, #3; Whyborne & Griffin, #3.5)
  • A Case of Possession (A Charm of Magpies, #2)
  • The Magpie Lord (A Charm of Magpies, #1)
  • The Secret Casebook of Simon Feximal
  • Flight of Magpies (A Charm of Magpies, #3)
  • Spectred Isle (Green Men, #1)
  • Interlude with Tattoos (A Charm of Magpies, #1.5)
  • Think of England (Think of England #1)
  • The Sugared Game (The Will Darling Adventures #2)
  • An Unnatural Vice (Sins of the Cities, #2)
  • Jackdaw (The World of A Charm of Magpies)
  • Starcrossed (Magic in Manhattan, #2)
  • Rag and Bone (Rag and Bone, #1)
  • A Fashionable Indulgence (Society of Gentlemen, #1)
  • Slippery Creatures (The Will Darling Adventures #1)
  • Provoked (Enlightenment, #1)
  • Beguiled (Enlightenment, #2)
  • A Seditious Affair (Society of Gentlemen, #2)
Jordan L. Hawk is a trans author from North Carolina. Childhood tales of mountain ghosts and mysterious creatures gave him a life-long love of things that go bump in the night. When he isn’t writing, he brews his own beer and tries to keep the cats from destroying the house. His best-selling Whyborne & Griffin series (beginning with Widdershins) can be found in print, ebook, and audiobook.

Whyborne & Griffin (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Threshold (Whyborne & Griffin, #2)
  • Stormhaven (Whyborne & Griffin, #3)
  • Necropolis (Whyborne & Griffin, #4)
  • Bloodline (Whyborne & Griffin, #5)
  • Hoarfrost (Whyborne & Griffin, #6)
  • Maelstrom (Whyborne & Griffin, #7)
  • Fallow (Whyborne & Griffin, #8)
  • Draakenwood  (Whyborne & Griffin, #9)
  • Balefire (Whyborne & Griffin, #10)
  • Deosil (Whyborne & Griffin #11)

News & Interviews

“I will not surrender my profession simply because men throughout history have been unduly enamored of their penises!" - Dr. Christine Putnam” 58 likes
“I craved him, like an opium addict craved the pipe: the sound of his voice, the touch of his hand, his mere presence in the same room.” 22 likes