Start by marking “The Valentine's Card” as Want to Read:
The Valentine's Card

The Valentine's Card

But Valentine's Day changes everythi
Published January 17th 2013 by Sphere

To ask other readers questions about The Valentine's Card, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Valentine's Card

Megan Readinginthesunshine
Jan 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Primary School Teacher Orla is living in Ireland, and looking forward to seeing her boyfriend Sim soon. Actor Sim has been away in London filming a costume drama. With a reunion on the horizon, Orla is particularly looking forward to Valentine’s day and the card that she hopes to get from Sim. But as Orla wakes on February 14th, she receives some dreadful news – Sim has died unexpectedly and suddenly – and now all Orla has been left with is an unopened Valentine’s card from him.

Flying to England
Mary Geraghty
Mar 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very descriptive book

Loved the characters in the story. This goes to show you that you really cannot judge a book by its cover. Or in fact,, a Valentine card. Great read. 💟
Asmaa
Feb 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Really love it. The ending is shocking
Rachel Muumbo
Sep 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was the first book I’ve read by this author. It had a slow start but I decided to persevere and I was glad I did. There was a good twist to the story right at the end too.
Cath Usher
Jun 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant Read

Good book for reading in bed. A lovely calm read that makes you feel happy/sad and warm inside all at the same time .
Hope there is a follow on.
Mel Garraghan-Moore
Valentine Curse

I liked this book but didn't love it until half way in.
It took a while for the story to get under my skin but once it did, I was glad I didn't give up on it.
Leah
Nov 13, 2012 rated it it was ok
When I heard about The Valentine’s Card by Juliet Ashton, I thought it sounded like a very interesting read. I received a proof copy just before Christmas, but didn’t have the time then to read it (if you work at a supermarket you will absolutely understand why December is the WORST TIME EVER to read a book). But with a week off in January, I knew I would blow through my books like a reading machine, and after finishing all the books I absolutely had to read, I came to The Valentine’s Card, and ...more
Fabulous Book Fiend
Mar 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
I love the fact that this book was released for valentines day and was called The Valentines Card, an author who wasn't afraid to state the obvious! I wasn't so sure how the death of Sim would be handled, but this came up pretty quickly during the opening moments of the book and so it didn't cause too much drama. My worries that a book about valentines day was actually going to turn into a book where the main event is the death of a loved one were quickly quelled and I was ready to get on and en ...more
Rea Cobb
Jan 11, 2013 rated it liked it
The Valentine's card was meant to be Orla's fairy tale ending, but really, it was only the beginning . . . Orla adores her actor boyfriend, Sim, who's away filming a sumptuous costume drama. Although the long-distance relationship means that she can eat toast for dinner and watch as much reality TV as she likes, she misses him like crazy. But Valentine's Day changes everything . . . The same morning Orla learns that Sim has died, she receives a card from him. As Orla travels from Ireland to Lond ...more
Helen
I loved this book. I was down in the dumps, and this book was exactly what I needed to get me through insomnia and dark moments.

Loved the main character Orla, a primary school teacher living in Ireland, who comes to London when her charismatic actor boyfriend Sim died there, just as he is hitting the big time and has just finished filming a huge tv series, where he played the lead role.

She learns of his death on Valentine's Day, but can't bring herself to open the card that arrives that mornin
Carol W
Jan 29, 2013 rated it liked it
Orla and Simon are apart with Valentine's Day approaching. Simon is following his dream in London as an actor and Orla is patiently waiting at home in Dublin for him.
This long distance relationship is working for them, or so Orla would have us believe.

On Valentine's Day everything changes in a second, just as Orla receives Simon's Valentine's Card, she also receives news that Simon has died suddenly.

In the grieving process Orla holds on tight to the last Valentine's Card from her boyfriend, beli
Jennifer Joyce
Feb 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
The Valentine’s Card is a story about grief and moving on. Orla can’t move on until she locates Sim’s journal, which takes on a deeper significance and becomes an obsession for Orla. Against the advice of those around her, Orla clings onto the Valentine’s card, carrying it around with her and even talking to it as she battles with her grief.

The book is enveloped by grief but I didn’t find it depressing as it is written in a humorous style, which I enjoyed. Orla is surrounded by some fantastic ch
BestChickLit.com
Apr 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
After neglecting to read the blurb, Sim’s death hit me like a smack in the face, it’s really heartbreaking – especially when his Valentine’s card arrives with his beloved back in Ireland on the same day. Orla’s initial grief and dealings with her monster (almost) mother-in-law warms you to this main character, but unfortunately this soon fades as she’s otherwise hard to connect with. However, the mystery that surrounds the Valentine’s card and the way in which Orla interacts with it holds your i ...more
Steffi
2.5/5.0

Unfortunately this book couldn't live up to my expectations. I expected a cheesy love story a la PS I love you but instead I got an annoying protagonist, a shallow love story and no emotions at all.

The death of Simon right at the beginning of this book left me absolutely cold. No tears, no emotions...just a fact. Most developments were totally predictable and didn't surprise me at all. The chemistry between Orla and Marek was non-existent to me.

I had some difficulties with the writing in
Pepperpots
Mar 09, 2014 rated it it was ok
Hm...the whole thing with the Valentine's card went on too long. No one from her friends and family called her on it. It was worrying but the people her seemed concerned for her were happy to let her be.

Also, I would have like the ending to have carried on a bit longer. Perhaps a glimpseinto Orla's future to know for sure if she and Marek had their happily ever after. I'm guessing the fact that he spoke to her indicates that things would get back on track for them but I would have preferred it
Sara Budarz
I can be the first to admit I love reading chic-lit, especially in the summer! But the thing is, for that genre to work, you have to like the protagonist; you should want to be their friend and be rooting for them to "win", whether by getting the guy or the promotion or both. And this is where this book fails. I didn't want to believe all the goodreads reviews who had already said what I am now saying, but: Orla is so unlikeable! And dull! And annoying! Add a bad plot involving Orla becoming a s ...more
Al
Mar 18, 2013 rated it liked it

But Valentine's Day changes everything . . . The same morning Orla learns that Sim has died, she receives a card from him. As Orla travels from Ireland to London, to live and breathe Sim's final moments, can she bring herself to open the Valentine's card and read h

Cath Alexander
Feb 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
I'm not often moved to write a review, but this book really surprised me, as I was expecting the usual predictable romance, but it was extremely well written, and it soon became unputdownable as the story twisted & turned. Humerous & touching in equal measures. As much as I wanted to carry on reading, I didn't want it to end! I'll be looking for more books by this author. Highly recommend as intelligent female literature.
Sheena
Dec 22, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: chick-lit, wishlist
More of a 2.5 out of 5. I actually got this book a couple months ago and was waiting to read it around Valenties Day. Not as good as I thought it would be. I couldn't warm up to any of the characters and the story just kinda sputtered along. The suprise twist at the end of the story I didn't see coming but was kinda too little too late.
Sarah Johnston
Feb 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Easy to pick an put down this is a light entertaining novel. Although it is about grief it is not depressing. In her battle to come to terms with the death of her beloved Sim on Valentine's Day, Orla encounters a few surprises and shocks a long the way. I would have liked a more finite ending to know if Orla had found her happily ever after. The ending was a bit abrupt for me.
Ramona Lazar
Nov 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
When I bought this book (bargain shop at Bookdepository) didn't expect much from it. And I have to say I was wrong. I loved the book, totally and unexpectedly. I must say, in this book nothing is what it seems to be. There are lies and hidden dreams and expectations and betrayal (lots of betrayal), but, in the end, there is hope and love, pure and simple and nice.
Verity Wolfe
Jan 28, 2014 rated it liked it
I rather liked the plot of the books, but I never seemed to click with any of the characters. I had decided really early on that Sim was a prick, not sure if this was meant to happen but it did, and from that moment on I found it hard to understand Orla's obsession.

I liked the start and the end, but the middle just seemed to drag!
Janice
Jan 03, 2015 rated it liked it
When I read the blurb on the back was expecting it to be a copy of P.S I love you. Was a really good variation on the idea. Was not expecting what the v day card read and enjoyed the plot twists. Recommended read if you are looking for something a bit chick flicky with drama/emotion and plot
Farhana  Zukri
Jan 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
I got the unexpected! A good read for chick lit and romance lovers. At first I kinda hate Sim, but after I got the truth, it's such a sin to hate him. Orla made a good choice for moving on. I love Maude and Juno, so does Marek ;)
Jennifer Susan Antony
Feb 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2016
I was expecting the usual new love after your boyfriend die. But this book took my by surprise. Well written story and with well-developed characters. As much as moving this story were, there was also drama and humor element.
Hayley
Feb 11, 2013 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed the first half of this book but the second half it really dipped for me.I found myself not really believing Orla's behaviour and motivations.Although the ending was a little sudden I liked the hint of closure which redeemed the dubious turn some elements of the story had taken.
Andreea Olteanu
Feb 26, 2014 rated it it was ok
Interesting plot but very boreing writteing ... Nothing is happening for hundrets of pages. You coul actually sum up the book in 50 pages. Nevertheless the stroy itself quite unique and charming.
Sophie Buck
Feb 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed reading this book, Bit slow to begin with, but once you found out the story behind sims journal it really got going.
Marie-Luise
Good enough to finish within two days but it is not my all time fav novel...
but it did pass the time and has a nice love story.
Jessica (Jess Hearts Books)
3.5 stars. Good characters, unexpected twist, but I found the ending really disappointing because it was super rushed.

• The Baby Diaries
  • Electricity
  • The Antenatal Group
  • A Vintage Christmas
  • The Lying Game
  • Lieblingsmomente (Lieblingsmomente, #1)
  • A Very Accidental Love Story
  • Another Way to Fall
  • The Reunion
  • Once Upon a List
  • Soul Fire
  • Der Trakt
  • Three Little Words
  • Wachstumsschmerz
  • Zauberlehrling voller Fehl und Adel (Trix Solier, #1)
  • Seelenangst (Clara Vidalis, #2)
  • Drüberleben: Depressionen sind doch kein Grund, traurig zu sein
  • The Love Book
I write books. I'm an introverted extrovert, a homebody who loves going out, a nosey parker who can keep secrets. I live by the Thames. My study feels like the centre of the universe. I share my house with Matthew, who writes songs and composes film music in his studio upstairs, and our daughter, Niamh. Two dogs sleep at my feet all day, Mavis and Zelda, both pedigree idiots.

I'm five foot six, mos