Start by marking “iD (The Machine Dynasty, #2)” as Want to Read:
iD (The Machine Dynasty, #2)

iD

(The Machine Dynasty #2)

Javier is a self-replicating humanoid on a journey of redemption.

Javier's quest takes him from Amy's island, where his actions have devastating consequences for his friend, toward Mecha where he will find either salvation... or death.
Published June 25th 2013 by Angry Robot (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about iD, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about iD

Dan Schwent
After being forced to poison his wife Amy, vN Javier goes on the run to find her backup. Can he find it before his enemies find him and shut him down permanently?

Disclaimer: I got this ARC from NetGalley in exchange for reviewing it.

iD takes place in a future where men and machines live side by side. While it's the first book in a series, following vN, it didn't take me long to get up to speed. I love the concept of self-replicating androids. Hell, there are a lot of great concepts in this one,
Bradley
Feb 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-shelf, sci-fi
Disturbing, fairly nuts, and good for pushing buttons.

The whole robot angle is a side issue. Most of this novel has a lot of sociopathy and exploration of emotional triggers as its main focus. It helps that there's institutionalized pedophilia that's all right because it's just robots.

Yuck.

But that's not even the main focus, either.

It's Javier's PoV. It's a rather wild journey, literally swinging every which way, eventually becoming a quest to redeem himself. That was all kinds of all right. :
Lata
Jun 29, 2017 rated it liked it
3-3.5 stars, I think, mostly because like with book one, the ending/epilogue confused me somewhat. I liked how Javier dealt with his emotions and situations. Though, if certain things had happened in this book, Javier would not have had to run all over the country trying to fix the initial situation.
And now we have a rather dire situation coming up in book three, after all the setup in this book.
Tabitha
Now Wait for it, wait for it..
“We’re all facing the goddamn robot apocalypse because some nerds didn’t have the sack to ask a girl out.”

That is just one taste of the fucking awesome iD is made up of. It’s also pretty much sums up really well what the story is about. Not that it’s about nerdy guys who can’t approach women but that a lot of people are using the humanoids as an outlet for things they either can’t, won’t, or really shouldn’t be doing with other people.

If you haven’t already you need
Adam
May 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love a book that kicks me in the head.

You know what I'm talking about: you open the first page, start reading, and some idea, some turn of phrase, something about the book rears back from the pages and smacks you in the skull, leaving you breathless and starry eyed and saying, "Oh, wow" for the next two hundred pages. It's nice to have a comforting book, one that slowly pulls you in until you're in way over your head, but, every now and then, I need the kick, and iD by Madeline Ashby is chock
Tez
Mar 26, 2014 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed the first book, vN, but this one didn't work for me. Doesn't help that this has a different POV (Javier, rather than Amy). The author's said iD is like her version of a James Bond story - complete with casinos, cocktails, and a supervillain. But I just couldn't connect with the story, or the characters.

Book 3, reV, is due out late in 2015. Hopefully it's an improvement upon this installment.
Alexa
It makes me sad that I have to give this one two stars, because I loved vN so much. Realistically, its probably a two and half, but Goodreads doesn't give me that option so I've gotta go with my gut here, and there wasn't a whole lot I liked about this book other than the initial premise. While iD has a lot of what I loved about the first book in the series, it was much more disorganized and just didn't hold my interest as well.

It's kind of funny that the thing that gives Amy her true personhood
Ben Babcock
In vN , Madeline Ashby provides a refreshing take on the idea of robots on the run. She tries to bottle lightning a second time in iD—and she succeeds. The second Machine Dynasty novel raises the stakes and allows Ashby a chance to explore both the backstory and future of this world where Asimovian robots have been reified. It’s not quite a full on apocalypse, but the world appears to be holding its breath.

I’m going to assert that you needn’t have read vN to read iD; and, if you read this one,
Jonathan Lin
Oct 21, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 stars.

I couldn't really get into this book, even though I really like the first book (vN). The book is full of action and things blow up and people (and robots) die, but the story didn't feel as coherent. I liked the overall concept and the best thing about this book is the fluidity that Ashby moves in between human and android, male, female, and not-just-quite-in-between.

The ending ties everything up and feels a bit too miraculous - everything is ok at least for a little while.

I'll read the
Nadia
Apr 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
It wasn't terrible, but I had to take off a half star for every really unsubtle Blade Runner reference. So many. So painful.
Lex
May 23, 2013 rated it it was ok
I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you NetGalley and Angry Robots for the opportunity to read it.

Don't you think this book is weird? lol.

I got so many issues with this book that I do not know where I should begin. I like the idea of robots. Of vN co-habiting with humans. Working as a nurse, gardener, teacher, etc. I like how they could think of their own but they could not even think of harming a human for it would 'failsafe' them. I think that is such a goo
Beezlebug (Rob)
Dec 11, 2012 rated it liked it
Machine Dynasty Sequel

Summary:Full disclosure I received an electronic copy of this book to review from NetGalley. iD is the second book in Madeline Ashby’s The Machine Dynasty. Having read the first book in the series back in August 2012 I can honestly say I don’t recall very much of the overall series except for a few basic plot points and characters. In fact, when I read the summary for iD I assumed Javier was a new character not realizing he played an important role in vN. With that said I t
Timothy Ward
Formal review to come on SF Signal.

I'll admit, I was really worried about my rating for this book. From 35% to 75% I wasn't really enjoying myself, and for most of that I was pretty repulsed. There's rape, a trip to a pedophile club, and fantasies about sex robots that I won't go into. The author doesn't portray these in a positive light at all, but it still wasn't easy to read.

But then the ending went and surprised me, and even made me see why the main character of this story had to have had th
Kate
Just as awesome as the the first one!
I liked all the sci fi references that none of the vNs ever got, to Bladerunner and Star Trek and The Prisoner and probably others that I didn't get.
Matthew Lloyd
"What you have to know about humans is what they don't know about themselves," Arcadio says. "They're machines, too. Humans are just machines. They run programs just like we do, they just run different ones."

- iD, p. 116

In my review of vN, the first of Madeline Ashby's Machine Dynasty, I said that it was an action-adventure story brimming with ideas. I also said that it didn't proffer many answers to the questions it asked. iD, the second Machine Dynasty novel, is different. Its adventure is l
Michael Whiteman
Oct 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
This is the sequel to vN, and in a lot of ways is more of the same. We follow Javier this time, as he goes on his quest to restore Amy after he was forced to poison her by a religious fanatic abusing his failsafe.

The issues around the failsafe (which prevents vN from harming or failing to prevent harm to humans and can kill them if they do) and consent are probably the most interesting parts of the book, as Javier begged Amy to remove his but she refused, leaving him vulnerable to exploitation
Lloyd Duske
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
Jacqie
Jul 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: didnt-finish
Another book that I'm pretty sure I read and reviewed, but the review has disappeared forever. So this will be short.

iD takes up a bit after vN left off. Amy, the self-aware super robot who has figured out how to utilize nanotechnology to her own benifit, has created an island where she hopes that she and many iterations of Javier, her love, will be safe. Naturally, in a book this can't happen.

Javier has solo adventures this time, and the book is all about agency. While Amy has discovered that s
Dan
Jun 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Following on how much I liked book one, I was really looking forward to this, and it didn't disappoint. Picking up within moments of the finale of the first book, this one launches full tilt into the conflict between humans and vN, the "androids" who are essentially the other dominant species on the planet by this point. And things escalate from there, coming to yet another finale that leaves things open for another volume - which has been added to my wishlist for when it becomes available on Ki ...more
Nicole Luiken
Apr 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: canadian, sf-fantasy
Sequel to vN, but with mostly Javier's POV this time instead of Amy. After I slogged through the prologue, the rest of the book clipped along at a good pace. This is good idea fiction, but not for the faint of heart, with robots for are true people though often tragically constrained by their programming and compressed childhoods.

Quibble: the ending took something away from Javier's journey, the old If They'd Just Talked to Each Other the book would have ended much earlier annoyance.
James
Sep 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
When androids dream free will.

A great follow up to vN. The story extrapolates on the theme of what happens when software limited AI finds a way around the limits, will it be the end of humanity? Read on to find out!
Leader of the Pack
Apr 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ashby does a great job mixing futuristic concepts with contemporary lifestyles. This gives iD a very realistic feel that immediately earns and keeps the reader's attention. I really enjoyed this story and look forward the next book in the series.
CJ
Jun 21, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This tale went downhill. Turned this series into not my thing at all.
G W
Dec 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Much better than the first book in the series. Much more refined storytelling.
Brian Gaston
Aug 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
A solid SF book. An interesting take on intelligent machines. My only caveat is that I have trouble relating to the feelings of these particular IA machines (people?).
Renato Lellis
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
Gregory
Jul 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Madeline Ashby’s The Machine Dynasty series takes place in a world where Christian leaders have created robots (called vN) to provide for those left behind in the event of the biblical Rapture. This has not happened, and the aftermath of their preparation is neither utopia or dystopia. What we do have is a compelling story of a person seeking retribution and redemption, who just happens to have a few more abilities than your modern man. That in a nutshell is the story of iD.

The second book in Th
Mieneke
Jun 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction, 2013
vN was one of my favourite debuts for 2012, only beaten out by Tanya Byrne's Heart-Shaped Bruise . I loved Amy's story and the world Ashby created. I was looking forward to returning to the world and seeing how the developments of the last book would echo through this one.

While iD is just as great as vN, it's the complete polar opposite of its predecessor. vN dealt with the child-like and innocent Amy who was forced to grow up fast, while Javier is far more adult, though younger in actual yea
Amanda
Jun 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi, ai, series, arc
I was really excited for the second book in this series about ai written by a woman author. I love getting to see scifi topics like ai explored from a woman’s perspective. So I was a bit disappointed to have the story shift focus from a woman in the first book (Amy) to a man in the second (Javier).

Ripping Amy out from under us is an interesting choice. On the one hand, I appreciate series that switch perspectives like this because we get to see more of the world of the novel and gain a clearer u
Tsana Dolichva
Jun 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
iD by Madeline Ashby is the sequel to vN, which I reviewed last year. It picks up not too long after the first book ended and deals with the consequences of events in the first book. This review will contain some spoilers for vN but not for iD. It's also the kind of series you have to read in order for it to make sense; iD depends on a lot of worldbuilding laid down in vN.

iD starts with Amy and Javier, our two protagonists from vN, living a reasonably idyllic life with Javier's kid (from the fir
  • The Age Atomic (Empire State, #2)
  • Empty Space (Empty Space Trilogy #3)
  • The Marching Dead
  • Clarkesworld Magazine, Issue 69 (Clarkesworld Magazine, #69)
  • Sea of Glass
  • Zenn Scarlett (Zenn Scarlett, #1)
  • Mars, Inc.: The Billionaire's Club
  • The Rebirths of Tao (Tao, #3)
  • The Big Reap (The Collector, #3)
  • Like a Boss (Windswept, #2)
  • Degrees of Freedom (Samuil Petrovitch, #3)
  • Day One
  • Ghost Spin (Spin Trilogy, #3)
  • Rapture (Bel Dame Apocrypha #3)
  • War Stories: New Military Science Fiction
  • Hungry For You
  • The Dead of Winter  (Cora Oglesby #1)
  • The Beginning (Precipice, #1)
Madeline Ashby is a science fiction writer and strategic foresight consultant living in Toronto. She has been writing fiction since she was about thirteen years old. (Before that, she recited all her stories aloud, with funny voices and everything.) Her fiction has appeared in Nature, Tesseracts, Escape Pod, FLURB, the Shine Anthology, and elsewhere. Her non-fiction has appeared at BoingBoing.net, ...more

The Machine Dynasty (3 books)
  • vN (The Machine Dynasty, #1)
  • reV (The Machine Dynasty, #3)
“For the first time in Javier’s life, he understood why the Tin-Man had wanted a heart. It would be better, if he knew what exactly it was inside him that was breaking.” 0 likes