Start by marking “The Life List” as Want to Read:
The Life List

The Life List

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  14,969 Ratings  ·  2,115 Reviews
In this utterly charming debut — one woman sets out to complete her old list of childhood goals, and finds that her lifelong dreams lead her down a path she never expects.

1. Go to Paris
2. Perform live, on a super big stage
3. Have a baby, maybe two
4. Fall in love

Brett Bohlinger has forgotten all about the list of life goals she’d written as a naïve teenager. In fact, at th
Published July 2nd 2013 by Bantam (first published 2013)

Lori Spielman
Mar 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Thank you for reading and spreading the word if you liked it!
Chantal  (Every Word A Doorway)
Jan 13, 2015 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Fans of Nicholas Sparks
Shelves: contemporary
I decided to pick The Life List for Romance month over at The Book Geek Blog. One of my best friends recommended this novel to me, saying she read it in one sitting and absolutely loved it.

I wouldn’t say this is a bad book, but it’s most certainly not my book.

Look at the following quotes:
“Love is the one thing on which you should never compromise.”

And
“There will be another sky, my love, just you wait.”

Now, if these are the kind of quotes that make you swoon and want to pick up a book immediat
Nina Life of a Bookworm

Prvi dio života, jedna od najbitnijih osoba na cijelome svijetu je mama. A onda se stvar malo okrene i ti sama postaneš ta osoba koju slijepo obožavaš cijeli svoj život te sama postaneš majka.

Za Brett, majčina smrt je kao smak svijeta, a kome i ne bi bila kada više nema osobe koju voliš svim srcem i koja ti toliko puno znači..? No nad njom i dalje budno prati njena majka u obliku popisa želja koje je Brett sama napisala kao tinejđerica. Njena majka sada od nje traži da ostvari želje s
Heather
Jun 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 stars is definitely not enough for this book. I wish I could give it 10!

Most well written books offer enjoyable moments, clever dialogue, and an entertaining adventure for the reader. But a very special few of these books touch a reader's soul in a way that makes them look at life differently, in a way that makes them feel alive, and in a way that that book will be cherished on their bookshelf like an old photograph to be looked at, revisited, and thought of with fond memories – a book that be
Relyn
Jan 29, 2014 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: not a single soul
Recommended to Relyn by: no idea
Shelves: audiobooks
(insert big sigh) What to write about this book? I wanted to like it. I did. I was curious enough to finish it, but barely. If I had been reading instead of listening, I know I would have turned to the back and read the last chapter when I was about a 1/4 of the way in. What's wrong with this book?

* The idea of a life list is fun, and very current (just search it on Pinterest), but certainly not very original.
* Spielman's similes are pretty good, but are so frequent that they become annoying.
*TANYA*
Aug 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Ahh, this book was so adorable!! I was very emotional throughout the book. I cried and laughed. I felt just about every emotion there was to feel with this book. A must read!!
juan carlos
Aug 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

BELLEZA DE LIBRO, BELLEZA.

Aún estoy conmocionado con la trama, tengo muchos sentimientos encontrados, drama, romance, diversión, tragedia, encuentros, amistades, hombres guapos, también patanes desgraciados, rameros inverecundos, etc.

Y lo importante ver a los deseos como algo que nunca se debe de olvidar y ala imagen de la maternidad como lo más preciosos de este universo.

ESTOY FASCINADOOOOOOOO, LAS MEJORES ENSEÑANZAS DE LA VIDA TE DA ESTE LIBRO.

SI PUDIERA PONERLE UN MILLÓN DE ESTRELLAS SE LAS
Učitaj se!
May 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: finished
Knjiga Lori Nelson Spielman - 'Sve što sam željela' - bajkovita je, lijepo napisana i vrlo životna priča, koja i stilom i temom pomalo podsjeća na neke od najboljih ostvarenja Cecelije Ahern, ili pak Lise Jewell.

Priča govori o Brett, mladoj ženi koja je upravo izgubila majku, s kojom je bila veoma bliska. Brettina je majka, kao i Brett i njezina dvojica braće, bila vrlo imućna žena, a također i uspješna direktorica jedne kozmetičke tvrtke, što je bio položaj koji je Brett smatrala da će, nakon m
Joana
**re-post of my review since it went missing for no apparent reason **

“’ Eleanor Roosevelt once said, “Do something every day that scares you. “Continue to push yourself to do those things that scare you, darling. Take those risks and see where you land, for they are the very things that make this journey worthwhile.”’

Have you ever written a life list?

Put down your wishes and dreams, from silly ones that seem crucial at that point, to the ones you think are far fetched but somehow still hop
Diana
Nov 24, 2013 rated it it was ok
I just read a column in the Sunday NYT by Charles McGrath that completely explains why I finished this book despite the fact that the whole time I couldn't believe how bad the writing was.
"That's the problem with fiction - or the charm, if you want. Even mediocre plots have a way of sinking their hooks into you, until you find yourself concerned for the fates of characters who aren't even fully convincing." As a real person Brett Bohlinger made a lot of mistaken assumptions about people and beh
Sherri Thacker
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I truly loved this book. From the first page to the last page. It was like a breath of fresh air. Didn't want it to end and I kept reading and reading not wanting to put it down. Hard to believe this is the authors debut book. I will definitely be waiting patiently for her next book. Highly recommend!! Loved it!!!!
Susan Elizabeth Phillips
Fiction: This book doesn’t come out until summer 2013 but I was lucky enough to get an early copy. Chick Lit at it’s best! I devoured this one. A great heroine, a strange will, a seemingly impossible quest. The book has real heart.
Tonkica
2.5
Ne sjecam se kada sam zadnji put procitala knjigu koja u sebi ima sve moguce svjetske dogadjaje kojih se mozes sjetiti.. Osim rata.. Iako sam sigurna da je i to bilo negdje u pozadini.. :P
Glavna likica mi je na momente isla i na zivce, tako da me sve to skupa na kraju nikako nije odusevilo.
Ann
May 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I received this book from GoodReads First Reads

To obtain her inheritance, Brett must complete the remaining ten items on her list of life goals that she wrote as a teenager - within a year!
1. Have a baby, maybe two
2. Get a dog
3. Stay friends with Carrie Newsome forever!
4. Help poor people
5. Have a really cool house
6. Buy a horse
7. Fall in love
8. Perform live, on a super big stage
9. Have a good relationship with my dad
10. Be an awesome teacher!
The Life List is a must-read for every woma
Brian
Jun 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
I should have known from the purplish cover and the flower, that this book was a chick lit book. I dove in bravely, ready for shallowness, and then I was somewhat surprised. THe plot is about a woman who loses her mother, who is her best friend to cancer. The mother leaves her other two children with their inheritances, but for the unfortunately named Brett, she must go through a list of things she wanted to accomplish in her life that she wrote as a child and do them all to get it. The story re ...more
evaleinsinchen
Apr 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ich habe das Buch verschlungen! Das Ende hat mich jedoch (trotz oder wegen der Wendung) etwas enttäuscht, deshalb muss ich leider ein Sternchen abziehen. Die Message dahinter fand ich so schön, und ich musste das Buch oft aus der Hand legen und über das Gelesene nachdenken.
Olga Godim
Aug 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: mainstream
Without a doubt, this book is a powerful work of fiction, stirring a bittersweet brew of emotions in its reader. Beautifully written, it tells a poignant story of a mother-daughter love transcending death. At least on the surface, it does, but when you dig deeper, you realize that something doesn’t jibe. Although at first glance, the book’s vibrations seem authentic, beneath the cosmetic layer, falsehood resides.
The novel starts, when Brett’s beloved mother, Elizabeth, dies from cancer. Stricke
Mafi
3,5
Gostei mas o outro da autora é bem melhor. Este tem muitas personagens que não interessam muito para a história e a Brett nem ficou com quem eu queria! :(

----
(...)

Talvez a decisão de ter lido este livro logo após a te acabado o outro da autora, não tenha sido a mais acertada. E porquê? Porque achei os livros muito semelhantes. Apesar deste ser o primeiro livro que a autora escreveu, o que senti durante a leitura foi um deja-vu, pois achei tudo muito semelhante. Ou seja, mesma fórmula só mudav
Aleksandra
Aug 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Zabavna, lagana, red sentimentalnosti, red humora, malo životnih mudrosti, malo tuge, u konačnici optimistično i pozitivno. Nedostajalo mi je ipak nešto što bi ovaj roman izdvojilo iz mora sličnih koje sam čitala. Najbolje je opisano na koricama - radi se o kombinaciji duha romana Cecelije Ahern, one njene bajkovitosti i nerealnosti koju ipak nekako uspije napraviti stvarnom, kao i Jojo Moyes, njenih drama vješto kombinovanih sa humorom i u teškim životnim situacijama. Ova autorica ipak još uvij ...more
Scott Southard
Jul 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
I reviewed this book for WKAR's radio show Current State. You can listen to the review here (http://wkar.org/post/book-review-lori...) or read below

I never liked the book description “Women’s Fiction.”

It is the literary equivalent of the pink aisle in toy stores, no boys allowed. The funny thing is I have yet to see a book described as Men’s Fiction, but I am assuming it would involve fast cars, loose women, and a lot of laser guns.

I can’t help but think that this idea of women’s fiction is base
Agi
Jul 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013, favourite
Actually, I don't know what I should say about this book to do it a justice, because in my opinion it was a wonderful book. I read a lot, really, but it is only from time to time that I find a book that I love so much from the very beginning to the very end and which captures my attention and has me so hooked. I have actually stayed almost the whole night yesterday to finish it, I couldn't put it down.
It is a beautiful story. It has beautiful characters, it has beautiful plot. It's funny - I lau
Andrea Šikić
Dvije stvari odmah da vam kažem u glavu: Svijetu treba više ovakvih knjiga kao što je "Sve što sam željela", i gdje je ova knjiga bila prije u mome životu? Između mene i nje se rodila ljubav od prve stranice i trajala je sve do samog kraja, kad smo se u suzama rastale. Kao i uvijek, neću puno o sadržaju (pronađite ga sami), ja ću samo o epitetima kojih sam puna nakon pročitanoga. Dakle ova knjiga je prekrasna, topla i posebna. Ne znam jesam li subjektivNa, pošto se radnja knjige bazira na odnosu ...more
Joan Nelson
Feb 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Definitely
Lori has made her parents very proud. It is hard not to boast about her accomplishments. I have read many books, and this one rates right up there with the best. Right from the beginning, it caught my interest and held it all the way through until the very end. I can't say enough about "The Life List". I know everyone will enjoy this book, and highly recommend as a good read.
Daydream Believer
Feb 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4,5 Sterne !
I so enjoyed this book! The Life List captures the spirit of remembering what was once important to you and not letting fear stand in the way of completing one's goals. Thirty-four-year-old Brett Bohlinger has received this very gift from her late mother. According to her mother's will, in order for Brett to receive any inheritance she must complete a life list she made and discarded at age fourteen. Her mother apparently found the list long ago and has been marking off the items as Brett inadve ...more
Anna Casanovas
Aug 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dudaba entre tres y cuatro estrellas, así que supongo que en realidad lo puntuaría con 3 estrellas y 1/2.
"Mi lista de deseos" es una novela sobre el miedo que da luchar por lo que quieres de verdad en la vida y lo fácil que es acomodarse en un entorno agradable y tranquilo aunque este no sea lo que queremos en el fondo de nuestro corazón. En esta línea me ha recordado a novelas como "Como, reza, ama" o "Bajo el sol de la Toscana". En este caso, el detonador que obliga a Brett, la protagonista, a
JuliaOrlando
I seem to be in the minority in that I thought this book was just ok.

After her mother passes away, protagonist 34 yr old Brett, must complete a "life list" she created as a 12yr old before she can collect her inheritance.
I loved the premise of the story, but I think the fact that Brett blamed everything on her mother, and did not stand up for herself kept me from really enjoying the book. She seemed to go back & forth from a strong confident woman to a whiny no-backbone wimp.

Even though I t
Mel_lis_ca
Mar 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Et voilà, je me suis couchée tard pour terminer ce livre parfait ! J'ai été emportée par ce roman feel good et ça fait un bien fou de ne pas compter ses heures de lecture, d'avoir le cœur qui bat au rythme des aventures des personnages, d'avoir hâte de découvrir chaque nouveau chapitre. Une très belle aventure avec Brett et sa mère ! Je lirai avec plaisir d'autres livres de cette auteur !
Carla
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read2018
Chester Dean
Jul 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-2015, owned, 5-stars
Si algo ha logrado Ediciones Urano, es que me salga totalmente de mi zona de comfort y lo disfrute. Primero que nada, quiero que observen bien la portada y se enamoren conmigo ¿no es preciosa? Amo esos colores pastel, además de que las letras están en relieve y se siente agradable al tacto. Por la simple estética se antoja leer el libro, pero no se dejen engañar, es bonito por fuera como lo es por dentro.

El libro es narrado en primera persona por Brett, una chica que desde la cuna lo tuvo todo (
  • The Good Daughter (A Brennan Sisters, #2)
  • Three Little Words
  • The Valentine's Card
  • A Passionate Love Affair with a Total Stranger
  • Love Rehab: A Novel in Twelve Steps
  • Step Back In Time
Lori Nelson Spielman lives in East Lansing, Michigan, with her husband and a very spoiled cat. A former speech pathologist and guidance counselor, she currently works as a homebound teacher for inner-city students. Lori enjoys fitness running, traveling, and reading, though writing is her true passion. She spends her winters cursing the god-awful Michigan winters, and her summers sailing the glori ...more
More about Lori Nelson Spielman

• Searching for Grace Kelly
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Bricking It
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Elephant Keeper's Daughter
  • The Virtues of Oxygen
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Home to Harmony (Harmony #1)
    $11.14 $1.99
  • Dog Crazy
  • The Towers of Tuscany
  • The Noticer: Sometimes, all a person needs is a little perspective
  • Who We Were Before
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Reluctant Midwife (Hope River, #2)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Sin No More (Reverend Curtis Black)
    $10.39 $1.99
  • We'll Always Have Paris: Stories
  • The Hidden Flower
  • Greyhound
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Take Two (Above the Line, #2)
  • The Heart Mender: A Story of Second Chances
  • Where We Belong
    $5.99 $1.49
  • Cashelmara
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Dumplin' (Dumplin', #1)
  • The Sisterhood of Blackberry Corner
  • A Scattered Life
  • Every Ugly Word
  • A Memory of Violets: A Novel of London's Flower Sellers
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Desert God (Ancient Egypt, #5)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Woman Who Breathed Two Worlds (Malayan #1)
  • An Amish Buggy Ride
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Elizabeth Street
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Gates of Rome (Emperor, #1)
  • The Unkillable Kitty O'Kane
  • It Is Well
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Sinful Calling (Reverend Curtis Black #13)
  • On a Cold Dark Sea
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Lady Viper (Tales from the Tudor Court #1)
  • Kings of Broken Things