Start by marking “Sword Bearer (Return of the Dragons, #1)” as Want to Read:
Sword Bearer (Return of the Dragons, #1)

Sword Bearer (Return of the Dragons #1)

3.53  ·  Rating details ·  982 Ratings  ·  115 Reviews
Tired of his controlling father treating him like a child, sixteen-year-old Anders Tomason yearns for grown-up adventure. Until the day when he opens a magic portal by accident, and a Kriek girl bursts into his locked room with a chemical warlock hot on her trail. Now Anders will discover just how much his parents had been protecting him from, and at what cost.

Because the
ebook
Published July 2012 by Wicked Evil Press (first published January 1st 2012)

Shawn
Mar 25, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: children-s-books
I like reading new YA fiction because you usually find some lovely gems. However, gem this story was not. I kept hoping the story would take off but I felt like I was treading water. I did not feel any real angst for Anders, the pimply-faced teen who just seems to flounder. While the story started off slowly it really did not give me enough information for me to bond with him as a main character. In fact, I could not bond with any of the characters. I felt no loss at the deaths, I felt no relief ...more
Mark
Publisher: Wicked Evil Press
Date: 2014
Pgs: 156

REVIEW MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

Summary:
An apprentice swordswift swings a staff until ready for the sword. Adventures await; monsters, spells, damsels...sure if this was a scribe’s story in a book.

Anders looks forward to all this...until the day a magic portal opens in his room and in bursts a young woman with a chemical warlock chasing after her. Danger. Blood. Fire. Demons. Evil.

The gift of
Drako
Sep 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a fan of anything with dragons, peresonally, hints the name that spelled properly means dragon in latin. So naturally I simply had to read this. I must say, I'm not entirely clear on the Return of the Dragons part. I assume its the name of the series. But that little detail does not take away from the story.

This story centers around Anders, apparently an out of shape wizard without much practical knowledge and with bad acne. He's a bit sheltered, and by a bit I mean a lot. He's often locked
D.F. Haley
Fat pimply kid is really the three-blood prince. Who knew?

Dislike these plots where everything is given rather than earned. Today's kids already have a feeling of entitlement. They hardly need yet another plot which reinforces that they are right to feel this way. At least Harry Potter had to fight his way up. I much prefer plots where the hero/heroine uses skills, smarts and grit to win the day, rather than discovering their "innate" magical talents and blowing everyone away.

Characters were abo
Mike
Apr 20, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: partly-read
If I'd known there was a Chosen One and a Dark Lord, I never would have started this.

The worst thing about Chosen One stories is that, at the extreme, the Chosen One doesn't need to have any training or even make any decisions in order for everything to work out for him, because the Prophecy and his Destiny takes care of all that. This is that kind of book. It makes for a completely uninteresting protagonist.

Looks like it has had some editing since some of the reviews were posted, but there ar
Erika
May 22, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Flat characters. I didn't understand who the main character was, I couldn't connect with him. The love interest was weak- who goes around kissing boys with green clay masks on their faces when they have a boyfriend? I was disappointed that the main character didn't have to work to get anything, it was just in his blood and he didn't even know what he was saying or doing it just magically happened. And he was waaaaaay too trusting and buddy buddy with people he just met. There was no reason for m ...more
Ron
Jan 28, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, young, ebook
While reading this short (125 page) fantasy novel, I debated whether it deserved three stars or four. Then it stopped. It didn’t finished (it’s the first of a series); it didn’t conclude; it just stopped. I really dislike that. Give the reader some sort of closure. Yes, set hooks for the series if you must, but give the reader some satisfaction for having read this book.

Interesting blend of Harry Potter and LOTR-lite set in a medieval Europe analog. Likeable, clueless hero, who says magic words,
Donna
Mar 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Anders is a wonderful kid, one who will appeal to middle grade students, especially boys. It can be difficult to find books to entertain and hold the imagination of a middle grade boy. (I have one, getting him to read can be difficult at times).

This is a great book. Hopefully the author will write more stories. This book was fun to read and exciting. I give it 5 stars!
Maddison
Mar 01, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: uno-2017
Boring. That's almost all I want to say. Weird? Pointless? Really far-fetched? Unbelievable? Correct. This is a series I definitely will not be continuing. The way that the main character just accepted that (view spoiler) ...more
Maki
Anders is a teenager who has normal, teenage problems. He's got terrible skin. He's terrible with girls. His parents frequently lock him away in a room and force him to study, and only release him when all of his homework is done.

To be honest, it feels like the author was trying too hard to make a fantasy character relatable to a teenage audience. It sort of defeats the purpose of trying to make the main character a normal teenager when you give him magic blood and a pixie living in his sword th
Nate
Dec 02, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had very mixed feelings about this book.

Anders, 17 year old with a boring life is suddenly pulled into a role that he is unprepared for. In a land where magic spells are words in German and there are 3 primary races, a Dark Lord (evil magician) is amassing an army to battle the forces of good and Anders must help defeat him. The book is written for a young adult audience, so take my 20-some year old reaction with a grain of salt.

The good:
-Story line feels fresh, not just a rehash of an old sto
Denae Christine
At least it was short. And free.
Anders is an okay character, though he gets knocked out any time something exciting happens near him. Gateway? Knock him out. He's tired? Knock him out. And no one cares; they put him in a bed and act like it is taken care of. If he is passing out, something is wrong with him! Why does he lose consciousness half a dozen times in a 150pg book?
Kara is bland, no personality at all. She caters to Anders and kisses him every time they have a conversation. Dumb. The oth
Alysa H.
Mar 31, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I suppose I'm not the obvious target audience for this book (that would be middle-schoolers) but in a way I am, because I am a parent who would love to pass along my most beloved fantasy novels someday. I can see why this book might please the younger crowd, but for the wrong reasons: it's a somewhat generic Chosen One swords-and-magic tale in which the hero is basically a stand-in for any plain teenage boy, who doesn't really have to learn or do much to be the hero, because he is the Chosen One ...more
Scott Collins
Sword Bearer is the story of a young prince who finds out he's much more than he previously thought. Sitting alone, locked in his room to study, Anders in thrust into the middle of a battle between forces he'd never even known existed. I liked some characters more than others, but felt they all had their own voice. The plot moved fairly rapidly so I never felt it got bogged down with details or side-stories. It is aimed at the younger crowd, but I still enjoyed the read. It was a little short, b ...more
Karen
Jan 12, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book could have been so much more. I realize that it is the beginning of a series but I felt the author could have developed the main character a bit better. I just felt sorry for him but didn't really connect with him. Maybe the second book will help but I'm not sure I will read it.
Lacinda
This book was free for me on my kindle.
Cool, Dragons. OK.
The third star is for the Dragons.
Quick read but definitely geared for 5th or 6th graders
Hamish
Feb 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
great start to a fantasy series. the characters are good and the story line flows well. one of the best new fantasy worlds I have read in a while
Dan
Nov 29, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Not bad.
Karen Frayne
Jan 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this a lot. Good characters, little different take on magic. It left me wanting more!
Catherine
Aug 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anders is a teenager in a medieval magical world facing typical teenager problems (not television adults pretending to be teenagers problems): looks, girls and that love/hate relationship with the parents. Angers finally is able to beat his sword master and able to choose his own sword. It's one of his steps towards becoming a man. Too bad his parents still treat him like a child and lock him in his room to finish his studies while they go out for the evening. Anders is used to it, if annoyed, ...more
Kerry Dillenburg
Teddy Jacobs has a long and prosperous career ahead.

A hit! Very entertaining. I finished reading the novel before I knew it and was left looking for more. Any author that does that for an audience deserves my applause and a 5-star rating.
Jen Christopherson
This was a great book. I couldn't put it down. I loved the characters and how the main character always seemed to be "falling" into situations.
I would recommend this book to anyone who wants a great read.
Kent
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good start to the story, but more of s novella than a full story
Candy Sheppard
Aug 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cliff hanger

Great story line, great characters, but a cliff hanger.
Nice and clean, kid safe
I'll be trolling for the next book
K. A. Parker
Dec 05, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, got-for-free
Clayj98
Mar 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beginning of a fantasy tale

A fairly quick read, and feels like typical fantasy coming of age story. Follows the standard boy finds out he has magic powers a magic sword and future to defeat that has him fighting a great evil and saving the world. The magic system and world has a lot of potential.
Brigette
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
DNF approx. 40%.

I wanted to like this one. It's just too poorly written. Very clunky and again, life's too short to waste time on books that aren't worth it.
Dave Higgins
Jun 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Combining an interesting world with an accessible hero, Jacobs creates a fantasy quest that flows quickly without sacrificing a sense of epic possibility beneath the surface.

Anders is the son of a provincial diplomat. Descendant of warrior magicians, he has spent his childhood learning some skill with a stick, a little magic, vast amounts of table manners, and entirely too much of the contents of tedious (and potentially fabricated) histories. On his sixteenth birthday he finally graduates to le
Stephanie Barth
Feb 27, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I really had to force myself to get through this book. It had an interesting world but I really could not get into the characters and there was a lot of use of the convenience aspect.

Anders-
This is the main character and if you are a pretty girl, he will trust you immediately because his "instincts" tell him it's right. Aside from suffering from acne, he has a lot of things going for him as soon as he picks up the enchanted hilt that has a wood blade (the metal blade comes later). He has not be
"We'll keep you ignorant for your own good" is a trope I find continually annoying. Anders has been raised in isolation, locked in a tower for most of his life, with only a tutor and swordmaster training him.

On his birthday he receives a magic sword hilt passed down from his father's family, and begins to work real magic of his own. He accidentally opens a portal and rescues a princess who's stealing back a book of magic from a dark wizard, and then escapes as the Wizard attacks his home.

From th
  • A Circle Of Iron (Eldernost, #1)
  • Legends (Legend of the White Dragon, #1)
  • City of Blaze (The Fireblade Array, #1)
  • Awaken (Fated Saga, #1)
  • The Eye of Divinity (Knights, #1)
  • The Dark Citadel (The Dark Citadel, #1)
  • The Deliverer (The Marenon Chronicles, #1)
  • A Month with Werewolves (A Month with Werewolves #1)
  • Vrin: Ten Mortal Gods
  • Land of Shadows (The Legend of the Gate Keeper, #1)
  • Eye of the Moonrat (The Bowl of Souls, #1)
  • Traphis: A Wizard's Tale
  • Altdorf (The Forest Knights, #1)
  • The Hungering Saga Complete (The Hungering Saga, #1-3)
  • Transcender: First-Timer (Transcender, #1)
  • Synthetic: Dark Beginning
  • Seth and Chloe (Lunara Trilogy, #1)
  • The Sable City (Norothian Cycle, #1)

Return of the Dragons (2 books)
  • Wind Rider (Return of the Dragons #2)

“My green eyes stared back at me.” 0 likes