Start by marking “Edgar Allan Poe: Complete Tales and Poems” as Want to Read:
Edgar Allan Poe: Complete Tales and Poems

Edgar Allan Poe: Complete Tales and Poems

4.48  ·  Rating details ·  13,179 Ratings  ·  593 Reviews
In a career that spanned slightly more than two decades, Edgar Allan Poe pioneered the short story as a literary form, perfected the tale of psychological horror, launched the detective fiction genre, and helped to revolutionize modern poetics. The full body of Poe's imaginative work encompasses mystery tales, horror stories, satires, fables, fantasies, science fiction, dr ...more
Published 2012 by Fall River Press (first published 1849)

To ask other readers questions about Edgar Allan Poe, please sign up.
Bruja Queendom It doesn't feel like real leather, I have this and I know real leather when I feel and smell it and this is not it. Double check on google or call the…moreIt doesn't feel like real leather, I have this and I know real leather when I feel and smell it and this is not it. Double check on google or call the company to be sure.(less)

Bailey Jane
Nov 25, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teens, young adults, college, men, women, adults
Recommended to Bailey Jane by: Jane Sherry
Definitely not light reading, but perfect for the fall and winter. My grandmother bought this leatherbound collection for me when I was 12 or so and it took me 5 years or so to read it in its completion. I have to be in the mood to read Poe, but when I am it's the best reading in the world. Very dark and poetic. Great stories, and each story is just short enough to maintain attention span. I recommend this to anyone who appreciates a challenging read.
John Wiswell
May 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Horror readers, horror writers, poetry readers, gothic readers
Holy crap, it’s a brick of brilliance! This doorstop-sized volume contains the complete works of Edgar Allen Poe. The poetry, the essays, the short stories – you got it here.

Holy crap.

Pick this up and skim a few of his works and you’ll know whether or not you want it. If you’re studying authors, though, why wouldn’t you get this? It gives you unparalleled access to the complete artistic thoughts of one of America’s most important early writers.

In reading this I was surprised by how many good one
❤Emm❤ - The Eternal Novelty
A lasting piece of written silver and obsidian, still as dark and haunting as it was over a century ago. Poe's influence is as far-reaching as that of the thematically similar Grimms or even Carroll's Alice. The ghosts and creatures of his imagination still float powerfully through the culture, and continues to earn respect for horror and poetry as literature.

His stories explore primal and preternatural fears with wit and eloquence. Being trapped, being driven to insanity and not knowing if the
Apr 22, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Let me clarify: some of the stories totally deserve four or even five stars. The Raven, The Black Cat, The Tell-Tale Heart. These are all famous for a reason. They're fantastic. But let me tell you, the stories you haven't heard of--they are, likewise, unknown for a reason. Oy, the tedium. Poe really really really liked to describe things. And sometimes that's literally all that he did. No plot, no characters, just descriptions. And because he does the macabre so well, it was a shock to the syst ...more
April
May 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, fantasy, classics
Need I write a review in an attempt to praise this wonderful, wonderful man?
Poe is a genius. A total classic in every way - the stories still give me chills! I think my love of Poe will always lie in the beautiful way he writes poems, though. With works such as 'Israfel' and 'Annabel Lee' how could it not? Those days I spent idolising him in senior school were days well spent; a total masterpiece.
Bionic Jean
The samples here are of stories which we would now class as "horror" or "suspense", but which Poe submitted to the public mainly as essays.

The Premature Burial (1844) by Edgar Allan Poe purports to be a factual account or essay. It tells of several cases where a person suffering from catalepsy was buried alive, some of which were discovered in time, some not. There is a strong attempt on the part of the narrator to convince the reader that, "truth can be more terrifying than fiction," in order
Donald
Oct 27, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Edgar Allan Poe was probably the first writer to truly fascinate me. I remember reading "The Black Cat" and "The Tell Tale Heart" as a youngster and feeling as excited as I felt when watching a classic horror movie like "Dracula" or "King Kong." I'd never read anything like Poe, and I couldn't stop until I'd read all his stories. As an adult, I still enjoy Poe's stories, but understand that he had weaknesses as a writer (little characterization, sense of morbidity and foreboding that demands a f ...more
Fernando
Mar 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
"Poe es el escritor más perfecto que he conocido. Nunca se equivocó" - Paul Valéry
Mike (the Paladin)
This is sort of a "what more can you say" book, it's Poe. I was introduced to Poe when I was around 11 by a (young) school teacher. I suppose I never looked back and in a way it effected my taste in literature as I still like most types of fantasy reads and enjoy what is usually (somewhat loosely) called "weird" literature.

Edgar Allan Poe, a man who carved out the classic short story, the classic detective story all the while telling blood chilling stories that have been copied ever since. I hav
Peter
Jun 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
This is a lovely book. Let us not go into detail about the stories and poems we all know so well lets talk about the book.

This edition from Race Point Publishing is gorgeous. It is cloth bound, not the kind of rough cloth binding you tend to get from editions such as this but a delightful silk cloth type binding or as my wife described, "a material that would make a lovely dress". There is a wonderful purple silk bookmark inserted, as for the print quality, very nice.

The ISBN for this edition is
Trish
Sep 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I don't think I need to say anything about Poe. He simply was/is one of the greatest. What I didn't know but learned while reading this book: he wrote detective stories as well (in fact, he invented them) and I had great fun/thrill reading them.
The Raven will always be my favourite poem by Poe, but there are quite a number of others I found in this book that are wonderful as well.
By the way, this all-in-one-volume has a beautiful cover, solid binding and although it has 1020 pages it is not th
Shaina
Dec 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was a constant companion in my bag in my undergraduate years, or was in my car. The cover wrinkled itself up and curled a bit. That normally bugs me, but this was well used and loved. I have e-reader versions, but ideally I need a hardcover copy of this in collector’s edition.
Inside this book of Poe’s work, there is something for everyone. It is not all dark. His genius spans many genres and for that he is one of my favorite authors.
Nitzan Schwarz
OMG I HAVE THIS BOOK! IT FREAKIN' LOOKS LIKE A COLLECTIBLE!!
~ swooning over the gorgeous edition~
IT LOOKS SO PERFECT SITTING ON MY SHELF!

AND I PROBABLY WENT BROKE BY BUYING IT!
no matter. if there is one thing worth getting broke for - it's books.
Sara
Nov 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jumped around to different poems and stories in this huge volume--some better than others, but overall an entertaining read!
Cillian
Andre Odysseus
Edgar Allan Poe, in my humble opinion, is the greatest horror writer of all time.

He doesn't only care with the story (that most horror writers nowadays only care about), he is a master of structure and writing as well. It makes you cringe, not exactly by what he is saying to you, but the way he tells it. Going from poetry to prose, you will feel that you are in Poe's world. You will be waiting to be taken to the realm of the dead by the raven, you will be dancing in a ball with the masque of the
Amy
Feb 07, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bathroom-reads
I am perpetually reading this book, it used to have a big sign on it that said "for really big poops" but it got lost along the way. Although, the spirit of the book still remains and it lives in the bathroom with its other toilet brethren.

All that aside, this book is awesome, it has the good and the bad in one easy to read volume. The poems were stellar, but the stories that are unpopular are that way for a reason. They drag on seemingly endlessly, but I can't give all of them a negative review
GeekChick
Jun 23, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Though I haven't finished the whole volume, I'm moving it off my "currently reading" shelf because I intend to intersperse it among my other books.

I am reading this in preparation for Daniel Pearl's book The Poe Shadow. I loved Dante Club, but it wouldn't have made any sense without having read Dante. So.....

Poe is a tad difficult if you're rusty on the Romantic-era English. But once you get past that his writing is masterful and engaging, and creepy!
Jeroen Van Sweeveldt
Dec 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, poetry
Rating Poe's entire body of work is not easy. Obviously he is one of the most important authors in western literary history, but Poe is, like all of us, only mortal, and so the quality of his writings ranges from brilliant to terribly boring and everything in-between. It's pretty much like another reviewer of this book remarked: the stories everyone knows about are famous for a reason, while the stories no one knows about are left in the dark for a reason.

Reading Poe can sometimes be difficult
Malak Alrashed
Jun 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Poe is a weirdo writer and I am all over weirdos, specially brilliant ones. His poetic gothic writing is so hunting and beautiful, the way he describes things and people is just amazing, although he has this thing where he loves to challenge the readers not to use a dictionary pretty often, but you'd never hate him for that because his words are all sentimental and idealistic and somehow you will feel smart reading them..

Okay, "the tales part", well... The Fall of House of Usher is my favorite;
Becky
Aug 16, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: literally everyone.
Recommended to Becky by: my love of all things gothic and macabre... does that count? LOL
Just purchased this book to replace a collection lost long ago after one of various moves... It will be delivered Wednesday! I am looking forward to this book immensely...

I haven't ready any Poe in so long, I imagine reading this will feel a bit like sliding your feet into a pair of warm slippers after standing in strappy stiletto heels for 18 hours... *sigh*
Thalia
Apr 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Hardcore Poe Fans
Read the review on my blog:
Stefan
Jan 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Poe is so dark, he makes my coffee look pale.
Laurali Star
Nov 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've always been interested in the dark side of poetry so when I saw a copy of this Edgar Allen Poe poetry book at the local Barnes & Noble, I had to get it. My daughter Chloe and i like to read poetry and short stories on the front porch and we really took our time with this one, enjoying it. Edgar Allen Poe speaks to the dark side in humans, that side that most of us are afraid to play with. His writing reminds me of graveyards, Halloween, and goth of a different era, therefore making it t ...more
Eve Kay
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Reading Poe seems to be a Halloween thing for me these days having already finished another complete collection of his short stories once. I was intending to read some of the lesser known (for me) works of his this time but once I had my hands on this volume I went straight to the golden oldies.
I guess I look for things like quality, trust, something like 'homely', in Poe. Good quality writing I can trust to deliver every time that feels like home because I've been there before with Poe.
I just
KristyMonet T.
May 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-it, favorites
"All that we see or seem, is but a dream within a dream."
Nick Black
Jun 20, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: incredibly-large
just godawful, almost the entire way through. maybe this was good once, but we've come a long way. unreadable for large swaths.
Ed Correa
Nov 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tras dos años de leer a ratos, finalmente acabo por leer esta compilación tan exhaustiva de todos los trabajos de Poe. Quizá se trata de una especie de sobredosis pero me parece que sus cuentos, poemas y demás deben disfrutarse en pequeñas cantidades, la atmósfera de cada ambiente creado por el autor termina siendo demasiado densa para estar tan cerca la una de la otra. Es una lectura lenta y técnica, en un inglés para nada moderno (lógicamente) y aunque la recompensa es buena estoy casi seguro ...more
Holly (Holly Hearts Books)
Sep 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
When I spotted this big behemoth of a book, I flipped! Edgar Allan Poe is the only type of literature I enjoyed in high school and I am so happy to now own a book full of his work and you can't go wrong with the beautiful cover!
Otto J.S. Laari
The Cask of Amontillado
Hymn*
Enigma*
The Raven*
2015 Reading Chal...: The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allen Poe by Edgar Allan Poe 1 19 Feb 22, 2015 07:17PM
Read-Along Master-Thread 1 3 Oct 04, 2014 03:38PM
Goodreads Librari...: Missing Page Count for ISBN 0394604083 2 8 Oct 05, 2013 06:09AM
Is It Just me or something like that.... 4 15 Jun 20, 2013 09:45AM
Complete Edgar Allan Poe on Kindle? 8 148 Feb 16, 2013 10:01PM
The Sword and Laser: The Following-What will happen next? 6 60 Feb 12, 2013 03:47PM
More about Edgar Allan Poe

• Searching for Grace Kelly
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Bricking It
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Elephant Keeper's Daughter
  • The Virtues of Oxygen
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Home to Harmony (Harmony #1)
    $11.14 $1.99
  • Dog Crazy
  • The Towers of Tuscany
  • The Noticer: Sometimes, all a person needs is a little perspective
  • Who We Were Before
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Reluctant Midwife (Hope River, #2)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Sin No More (Reverend Curtis Black)
    $10.39 $1.99
  • We'll Always Have Paris: Stories
  • The Hidden Flower
  • Greyhound
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Take Two (Above the Line, #2)
  • The Heart Mender: A Story of Second Chances
  • Where We Belong
    $5.99 $1.49
  • Cashelmara
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Dumplin' (Dumplin', #1)
  • The Sisterhood of Blackberry Corner
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fat Chance
  • Just a Couple of Days
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Boleyn Inheritance (The Tudor Court, #3)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • A Scattered Life
  • Every Ugly Word
  • A Memory of Violets: A Novel of London's Flower Sellers
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Desert God (Ancient Egypt, #5)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Woman Who Breathed Two Worlds (Malayan #1)
  • An Amish Buggy Ride
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Elizabeth Street
  • The Unkillable Kitty O'Kane
  • It Is Well
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Sinful Calling (Reverend Curtis Black #13)
  • On a Cold Dark Sea
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Lady Viper (Tales from the Tudor Court #1)
  • Kings of Broken Things
  • Edward Adrift
  • The Restaurant Critic's Wife
    $3.99 $1.99
“Men have called me mad; but the question is not yet settled, whether madness is or is not the loftiest intelligence– whether much that is glorious– whether all that is profound– does not spring from disease of thought– from moods of mind exalted at the expense of the general intellect.” 1600 likes
“Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night. In their gray visions they obtain glimpses of eternity, and thrill, in waking, to find that they have been upon the verge of the great secret. In snatches, they learn something of the wisdom which is of good, and more of the mere knowledge which is of evil.” 287 likes