Start by marking “Readings for Writers” as Want to Read:
Readings for Writers

Readings for Writers

3.35  ·  Rating details ·  52 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
For more than three decades, READINGS FOR WRITERS has been the preeminent rhetorical reader for the freshman composition course. This best-seller continues its tradition of providing the most comprehensive coverage of writing, while offering the most selections of any other rhetorical reader- more than 100 selections from a broad range of topics and genres. Building on its ...more
Published February 1st 2006 by Wadsworth Publishing Company (first published 1974)

To ask other readers questions about Readings for Writers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Readings for Writers

Amanda
Jul 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is the book that I'm using for my first go-round with teaching Freshman English I. It's very accessible and the reading selections correspond wonderfully with discussions about the various styles of rhetoric available to the writer.
Chanel Earl
Jun 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is a wonderful writing textbook. I have browsed and read selections from the 3rd, 5th and 6th editions, all of which were interesting and helpful to me as a writer. I wish I had taken a class that used this book.
Maria
Mar 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
I have the 14th edition now, but have used this edition, as well. Good for freshman comp in that it provides a variety of expository and poetic examples, as well as solid WRITING advice. The most valuable thing about this book is the back section on Revising.

It does follow the Modes (as in students need to learn to write an Argument, or a Cause-Effect essay, or a Definition essay, etc.), which is a tad dated and a little restrictive, but that's to be expected in many comp texts. I am curious tha
Lee Glover
The description of hell, simply titled "Hell," by James Joyce is awesome!!!
I received this book in college, during my Navy days. I have held on to it for that very writing. Now falling apart, my copy of this book is worn and raged. Age will do that.
Mike
The description of hell, simply titled "Hell," by James Joyce is awesome!!!
Stephen P