Start by marking “A Stranger Thing (Ever-Expanding Universe, #2)” as Want to Read:
A Stranger Thing (Ever-Expanding Universe, #2)

A Stranger Thing

(Ever-Expanding Universe #2)

In this witty, adventurous sequel to Mothership, which Publishers Weekly called “a whole lot of fun” Elvie Nara is back on earth—but her life (including her new baby) is still pretty out there!

Pregnancy was pretty rough for sixteen-year-old Elvie Nara, what with the morning sickness, constant food cravings, and the alien race war she found herself in the middle of. But if
Published November 12th 2013 by Simon & Schuster (first published November 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about A Stranger Thing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Stranger Thing

Megan
Apr 09, 2013 rated it liked it
I have come to realize that these books are crack fics. Did you ever read crack fanfiction? They're nonsensical and hilarious and just pure fun. Just like this.

Now, Mothership was quirky and smart and fun. A Stranger Thing is quirky and ridiculous and fun. Don't come into this expecting it to follow the rules of logic, you will just be disapointed. Not that you can't follow storyline, it's just that there will be multiple times where you will pause and attempt to inform the book "But now, you ca
Rashika (is tired)
This book was not a large improvement over it’s predecessor and I’d go so far to say that it was actually slightly worse but there is something about this series that makes you want to keep reading in spite of its shallowness. Sometimes we just really need is a nice fluffy read that doesn’t make us ask all the important questions and still manages to entertain us.

Most of A Stranger Thing takes place over a short period of time and I think that’s one of the things that works for this book. Its f
Spencer
Although I didn't love this one as much as I did the original, I still think it's great.

Our little Elvie is bound and determined to keep her little family together (and her little family is growing). She now has her father, her daughter, Cole (sort of, she's a little fuzzy on their relationship status. Which causes him to be a little fuzzy. Well, fuzzier. He's still not the brightest bulb on the planet), Ducky (best friends for life, yo). And she has found her mother.

For the record, I wasn't muc
Nasty Lady MJ
Nov 30, 2013 rated it it was ok
Meh. I almost think a reread of the first is in order to see if I truly loved it or if it was naive blogger syndrome. To see full review click on one of the below links.

The Blog

Booklikes
Erin L
Oct 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult, sci-fi
The second book in the trilogy can often be a disappointment and this one certainly is. It's another case of putting a book down while I read something else (that I picked up at the library) and then another something else. And now, do I have to read it? Oh, I might as well just get it over with.

There are twists here. You're unlikely to be surprised by them. And even for sci-fi, the story goes a little off the rails here. But we get to spend some time in Antarctica with whales!

And then the last
Joel Kirk
Jun 08, 2015 rated it it was ok
Kelly Sierra
Elvie is at it again in the sequel to Mothership. Elvie’s pregnancy has been pretty rough, but nothing could have prepared her for the actual birth… to a baby girl. According to her, just handsome, baby daddy it is impossible for her to have given birth to a girl, since he can only produce boys, and it seems like the rest of the Almiri clan feel the same. Immediately Elvie, Cole, Ducky, her father, and baby are shipped to Antarctica. Here they must assimilate with the criminals shipped out by th ...more
Whitney Pohl
Jul 08, 2015 rated it it was ok
The biggest issue that I had with this book is the same I had with first of the series: the almost casual deaths. "Ooops, he died horribly, eh? Oh well, on with the plot and no lasting emotional or mental consequences!"
And this book committed the Great Sin.

**SPOILER!*

The dogs die. Horribly. After we're allowed to get attached to them. This has been a deal-breaker for some books.
Rachael
Dec 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
All right, first things first. This book is definitely in the running for Worst Book Cover Ever. So aside from that, the book is great. Just like the previous book there are so many moments of hilarity. Good times.
Balerion The Black Dread
Still think Elvie is too current for a teen living so far in the future.
Stacey
Nov 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Still LOVE the series, the characters, campy and snarky as ever. HATE the cover.
Kennedy
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, young-adult
I really liked how this book turned out, I really liked the second book and was waiting for it when I realized it was published in 2013. I would like this serise to end with Elivie, her dad, Ducky, and Olivia (the baby) to lve together peacefuly. (I don't like Cole that much) It would be cool, too, to have Elvie decide to adopt/take care of Bok Choy as her own child, or mabe have the father adopt him for her because shes still a minor.
Eileen
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loving this series. I love Elvie Nara. She is witty and funny. I would love to see this series made into a movie. I think it would be absolutely hysterical. It is also packed with a lot of action.

Onto the last book in the series now...
Grace
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: senior-year
You know I never realised how completely ridiculous this book was until I was explaining it to my sister and the sentance "James Dean is the dictator of clan of alien parasitic Calving Klein models." came out of my mouth.
Deb
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Boring. Maybe I’m getting too old for these books? 1.5 stars.
Louisa
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved reading this book, a lot happened, some craze adventures and facing off the bad guys, and some big reveals! Need to read the final book, stat!
chisholm
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
i love this author now when i read books with action i say man this action is boring. cause man when you get action in this book you get ACTION capital letter like i would like to see in what they would or how they would do it in the movies. and probably say the movie got it all wrong cause they always do..
i loved reading this series and the main character and all the characters in this series.
Jess
Feb 19, 2017 added it
The other reviews are pretty spot on, especially about the worst cover in the world. I leave it upside down because I don't want my AirBnB hosts to see what trash I'm reading.
It is funny, and the wit keeps me reading, even though the plotlines are often cringeworthy and the Dad and Ducky characters are horribly cliched. The teenage voice feels fairly authentic, as much as I can be one to judge. The entire "give birth to a baby and then no mention of the unmentionables following that" is very har
Jordyn
Dec 24, 2012 rated it liked it
I'm not sure what changed between this book and the first. I don't know if it's just me, but something seems OFF with this book and whereas I head-over-heels loved that one, this one didn't garner the same feelings from me. I liked it and I'm still going to read the next in the series (with the hope that this trilogy will end well), but there was a lot that bothered me here.

For one thing while I freely admit that the plot of Mothership was campy and crazy, I loved that one. It was unpredictable,
Courtney
When we last saw Elvie, she was just giving birth to a baby girl. An Almiri baby girl. Because being a teen mother isn't hard enough without your baby turning out to be an alien race. Turns out that that the alien-baby business is far less of a concern than the fact that the baby is a girl. The whole thing about the Almiri race is that they're all male and incapable of reproducing on their own. So they go to other words and secretly impregnate their females, who, in turn, give birth to little ba ...more
Elizabeth
Aug 13, 2015 rated it it was ok
Hmm I was quite disappointed... 2.5 stars...

A Stranger Thing is the second book in the "Ever Expanding Universe" series, and -unfortunately- infinitely worse.

I was really excited to read this book because the first one ended on such a cliff hanger! But, after sort of hearing what happened in the third book, and not really liking this book, and not having access to the third book. This series is very disappointing. I mean don't get me wrong... it was REALLY funny. But that's about it.

In this
Rachelle
Oct 22, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Elvie and co. are back! And the cuteness and awkwardness of teenagers and aliens with babies continues!

I read Mothership a couple years back and I thought it was funny, light, and entertaining. That pretty much sums up what I felt about this one, too. Elvie is still a sarcastic, hot mess who sometimes has me laughing out loud and sometimes makes me want to roll my eyes. Cole, the baby daddy, is still incredibly stupid. This still angers me. Nobody is that dumb. And Elvie’s eccentric dad and her
Anmiryam
Dec 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-2014, sff-2014
This second installment in the Expanding Universe series continues the story of Elvie Nara. With her newborn daughter in tow, she is transported to an Almiri prison in Antarctica with her father, her baby's father the adorable, but not so bright Cole Archer, and her best friend Ducky. The action quickly becomes even more implausible -- don't count on things being what they seem in this futuristic sci-fi comedy -- than in the first installment, but that's all to the good (except maybe the killer ...more
Michelle
Jun 02, 2015 rated it liked it
I give this book the same rating as the first in the series. Yet, my feelings toward them are pretty different. So perhaps Mothership is a high three (because it is silly and fun, but not likable or good enough to be a four), while A Stranger Thing is a low three. I don't know that it's objectively worse than Mothership, but it's definitely not as fun (but not so bad I would drop it to a two).

Perhaps the best summary of my feelings would be thus: After the first book, I immediately picked up the
Amy
Feb 11, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
I really enjoyed Mothership, the first book in this trilogy. At the end I suspected that there was more to Elvie's mother than a woman who died when Elvie was young. Well, I was right. I won't spoil the story any further but I have to say I was disappointed in the direction this book took. I didn't like the way Elvie treated Ducky (he is seriously the greatest best friend ever), and Cole...I mean could that guy be any dumber? In the first book it was kind of funny, in this book it was really ann ...more
Rachael Drenckpohl
Jun 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Brianna
Jul 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is ridiculously beyond awesome! Aside from the first book, Mothership, I have never read a book like this. I was laughing withing two sentences and no matter how much I told myself to stop reading and go to bed I was not able to put it down. The twist at the end left me in agony, it was unexpected and terrible and I NEED MORE! I hope the next one is out asap because... just wow. I think I found a new favorite author. Amazingly done and I highly recommend this to just about everyone, es ...more
Becca
Aug 28, 2015 rated it liked it
Anyone who has had a baby knows you don't just go to Antarctica days after delivery and then go on a cross-continent journey. But I guess Elvie just adapts well after delivery, no weeks-long bleeding for her! Putting all the "yeah, right" situations aside, just as cheesy and sassy as the first, but the I do like the imaginative story about all the different aliens and hybrids. I'm intrigued how it will all end up.
Stargirl
A Stranger Thing was definitely fun. Maybe not as fun as Mothership and yet if you liked the first one, the craziness continues in this one and you should enjoy it!

Elvie is still a fun, clever and smart-mouthed leading lady. My fav addition to the book was Bok Choy, we don't see him much but I found him to be a funny little boy baby.

The writing is very fluid and the crazy kitchy scifi is still rocking!

Just a fun read, really.
Amanda Richards
Dec 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
OMG! I only read the summary online and I am already drooling over the book there's twist and turns and up and downs, not to mention that Elvie Nara is back in business with her supposed to be boy baby girl baby. I pray to God that there is 3 book and that it will be out for Christmas this series is like Scotch to a 40 year old work-a-hloic women. I'll give you more posts about the series later!!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Tune: Still Life (Tune, #2)
  • Twinmaker (Twinmaker, #1)
  • Snowballs in Hell (Princess of Hell, #2)
  • Shadow of Thorns (Midnight's Crown, #2)
  • Haunted (The Academy of Spirits and Shadows #2)
  • Rogue (Croak, #3)
  • Wolf Tamer (Claiming My Pack, #1)
  • Distraction (Years from Home, #1)
  • Eat, Brains, Love
  • Control (Shift, #2)
  • The Fury Queen’s Harem (The Cursed Dragon Queen and Her Mates, #1)
  • Josie Griffin is Not a Vampire
  • Death, and the Girl He Loves (Darklight, #3)
  • Daughter of Fire and Ice
  • The Meme Plague (Memento Nora, #3)
  • The Glorkian Warrior Delivers a Pizza
  • The Forbidden Fortress (Omega City #2)
  • The Death and Life of Zebulon Finch, Vol. 2: Empire Decayed (The Death and Life of Zebulon Finch, #1)
Martin Leicht currently lives in New York City, a fantastic city to be sure, although his heart will always be in Philadelphia, where they properly refer to it as “water ice”. A master’s graduate from the Goldberg Department of Dramatic Writing at NYU, Martin decided at the ripe old age of three that he wanted to spend the rest of his life spinning stories, much to the chagrin of his late grandfat ...more

Ever-Expanding Universe (3 books)
  • Mothership (Ever-Expanding Universe, #1)
  • The World Forgot (Ever-Expanding Universe, #3)