Start by marking “Stranded (Night Calls, #1)” as Want to Read:
Stranded (Night Calls, #1)

Stranded

(Night Calls #1)

3.61  ·  Rating details ·  710 Ratings  ·  164 Reviews
Burned, Felix Sinclair has all but vowed never to get seriously involved with another woman as long as he lives. After a long day’s work, Felix is looking forward to getting back to his luxury apartment in the city. When he detours onto a road less traveled in order to shave off some travel time, the last thing he expects is to wind up stranded in a roadside ditch in the m ...more
Kindle Edition, 2nd "Anniversary" Edition , 100 pages
Published November 2nd 2012 by J.C. Valentine

To ask other readers questions about Stranded, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stranded

Lillian ☁ Cloud 9 Books ☁
***** 3.5 Stars *****

Stranded is a very quick steamy read. Felix and Poppy are both divorced from failed marriages. For Felix, his past experience led him down a path of one night stands. Poppy, on the other hand, ran away to get away from everybody.

When Felix drives his car into a ditch, he stumbles upon Poppy's small cottage in the middle of nowhere. Their night is hot, erotic, and electrifying.

For me, their romance kind of felt incomplete by the end of the story. Even though they are mention
Vika aka ♔ of GIF & Grumpy Smut-ateer *P/T Freebie Fairy
Jan 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Vika aka ♔ of GIF & Grumpy Smut-ateer *P/T Freebie Fairy by: Fifty Shades Support Group
ARR from the author in exchange for an honest review.

4.5 Stars

What a hot little story!!! I am shocked as I am not a big fan of novellas. I like 'em long... the books of course.

Felix driving back from a work thing is so tired that he gets in the accident crashing his car into a ditch. Waking up all bruised, with a broken phone, crawling out of the ditch in the middle of nowhere as it's raining stumbles onto Poppy's run-down house.

Poppy (with no womanly self-preservation, in the middle of nowh
Jacqueline's Reads
Aug 20, 2013 marked it as considering
So the gal name is Poppy and she is recently divorced... yeah, call me a sucker, but I love the name and the fact she is just jilted. Marking it on my TBR list!

Sharon Xuereb
Jan 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
I don't normally go for the novella's but decided to give this one a try.

This was an enjoyable read with characters you can sympathize with, both being divorcee's, and a story ending that leaves you wanting more. The sex scenes were hot that's for sure, even with a touch of embarrassment, for cringe worthy giggles thrown in.

I would love to read more from this author and see how she can expand the story of Felix and Poppy.
djdavis~*Sivad*Sex Pocket
A CALL TO SPICE THINGS UP
Synopsis:

Poppy has finally settled in and accepted her new life. After divorcing her cheating husband Jimmy of ten years, and getting laid off from work, she decided it would best to pack up and move to the peaceful country. Building walls to protect herself, Poppy has decided against dating. In fact Poppy finds every reason under the sun why she can't date. So she decides on Bo, her dog and protector, to be the perfect companion.

Felix is a successful literary agent. A f
Sara
Nov 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was the perfect read to snuggle up with on cold night in bed. This is a short story but only in length. Stranded holds its own and locks you into the story immediately.

Felix Sinclair, a literary agent (sigh) in his way home from a conference when he has an accident in and ends up upside down in a ditch. With great skill and finesse he gets out and looks for help.

Poppy Montgomery, a divorcee living alone with her dog sees a man walking onto her property in the middle of a horrible storm and
Linda
What a great book, hot and sexy read this in one sitting couldnot put this down !

Felix Sinclair , a hot, chisled literary agent is on his way home from a writers convention, he is over tired from travel insomnia and trying to stay awake during the drive; to spite his best efforts he awakes to find himself in a ditch. Bruiised and battered Felix finally extricates himself from the car and begins walking to find help, when the skies open up.

Poppy Montgomery, is sitting home alone in her old Victor
Angie ~aka Reading Machine~
Felix Sinclair is literary agent that works really hard at his job. He's been a playboy that only does one night stands because he's been burned by love as the saying goes once bitten twice shy. When he is traveling home from a conference never expecting to be in a car accident. He's battered and bruised while trying to find help and ends up walking to the nearest house. Poppy Montgomery has been divorced and out of work for over a year now. Her marriage has left it's share of scars before, duri ...more
Nancy Silk
Dec 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this short, erotic, romance story written by J.C. Valentine. Poppy is recently divorced, not seeking any relationship with another man, and lives in an old house in near isolation. This is her protective life style she has chosen, and to ensure it, she keeps a rescued Doberman named "Bo" nearby. Felix Sinclair, a successful business man, quite the philanderer, takes a shortcut home, but falls asleep at the wheel and drives into a large ditch. His car upside down, Felix manag ...more
Cassandra
Jan 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
"You did something to me that day, Poppy," he said, his voice gone low and gravely. "I haven't been the same since. From the time I wake up to the time I go to bed at night, you're all I think about, I want you, Poppy. I need you."

Felix Sinclair doesn't do relationships anymore ever since he was badly hurt by an ex. He's a single, powerful playboy with a sexy smile.
Poppy Montgomery, just recently divorced, has no friends but a rescue dog, named Bo. She doesn't even have job. Her life is slowly f
The Reviewer
Jan 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Felix Sinclair is on his way home and due to tiredness he dozes off and lose control of his car falling in a ditch. His body aches from the impact so he walks hoping to come across a home to ask for a phone a call someone to get him and his car back home.

Poppy lives away from the city. After her divorce she wanted a fresh start. She adopted "Bo" her doberman and loves to read erotic romances.

Poppys home is the first house Felix finds after his accident. Walking in the rain he doesnt notice Bo
Jamie
Jan 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: z-2013-reads, 5-star
I don't often read short stories or novellas. When I do they are usually a part of a series I've already been reading. Now that I've read Stranded I do believe that I need to revamp my stance on the matter. This was one wonderful quick read.

I was first drawn in with appreciation for the descriptive set up to the story. I was given a very clear image of where we were and how it felt to be there. It was imediately done, from the very first sentence, suddenly I was drawn into the landscape. The cha
Jonel Boyko
Feb 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Valentine presents her story in a manner that you can relate to. This is a situation that you could plausibly find yourself in. And the characters don’t miraculously find themselves married after a whirlwind romance. It’s very refreshing to see a story like this. Not only that, but this story is quite well written. Valentine draws you in with her suspenseful and exciting storytelling. Everything is laid out clearly, plainly, and in an excitingly vivid manner. You can’t help but life this story w ...more
Daisy Sloan
Stranded (Night Calls, #1) is a cute short story. Felix gets stranded in the middle of nowhere and Poppy Montgomery takes him in to help him out. They have one night of wild passion then Felix gets scared and runs!

I enjoyed this short story. It was hot and there was definitely chemistry between Felix and Poppy. JC Valentine did a good job giving us motives and background on Felix and Poppy in such a short story. Even with all of that I had a hard time connecting with Felix and Poppy. While I enj
Cyndi Becker
Mar 08, 2014 rated it liked it
3.5 stars.
"Stranded" is the first in the Night Calls series and the start of Poppy and Felix's story which is followed up with in "Trust". I received an ARC copy of "Trust" and figured I should know what led to it. "Stranded" is a very short novella & quick read - but there is just not enough in here to understand the characters very well-just cursory info on why she lives where she lives and why he shows up on her door step in the middle of the night. The premise is just plausible enough t
Mitzi Carroll
Dec 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I couldn't stop reading "Stranded" once I started. This was a very good book.

Felix Sinclair and Poppy Montgomery find themselves more satisfied in a one-night stand than they had ever found in their previous marriages. The night they spend together is hot and steamy and leaves you wanting more.

This is a quick read and I enjoyed this very much. The story moves fast and keeps your attention.

Would love to know more about Felix and Poppy. Maybe more later?

~ Cariad ~
Apr 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
4.5 happy stars from me

Sometimes a little cracker comes along that just makes me go aaaahh!

This is definitely one of those, hot (I'd have given him go!), sassy, sexy, it made me cry (yes, really!) ...loved the dog too!

It's well written, packed with detail for a novella and the author promises all full length books for the rest of this series.

What more could a reader ask for? Put your feet up for an hour with hot chocolate and a biccy and enjoy!

Nice little HEA too!

I received this book via the
Michelle
Jun 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Big things can come in small packages and this Novella sure had much more than I expected. The story is told with attention to detail and gives you the feeling that you just read something that was much longer. Two strangers - one rainy night and two souls that have dealt with their lost relationships in different ways give in to each other. Both reacting to the shift of their intimate moment differently.

A nice read that offers a bit of sexiness, keeps you attention and makes you want to see wha
❤️ Diana ❤️
Shelves: r4r
The only negative about this story was that it was too short. Felix and Poppy's chemistry is well.....hot. Loved the ending, hopefully we get to see more of them in the series. What would you do if a hot, sexy man showed up on your doorstep in need of help. Probably what Poppy did. Great, easy, quick read. You won't be disappointed.
Kristal Jordan
Jan 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
I thought the beginning was unbelievable, it would have been more believable if there was more seductions more time to savior the spark that was igniting.
Overall I enjoyed the book and would like to read what might happen next…
Priscila Moran
Jul 18, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle-loanable
I'm not very in to novellas, but I'm actually pretty excited to keep reading this one.

"That first kiss" here I come!
Erin
Nov 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
It's not every day that a romance novella is capable of eliciting the same emotions you'd get from reading a full-length book, but J.C. Valentine has managed to do just that! With an engaging plot, captivating characters, and passion that leaves you panting, this was an absolutely delicious treat!!

Stranded is the story of two people broken by love in the past and determined to protect their hearts. Until fate steps in. To say Felix Sinclair was having bad luck the night he met Poppy would be an
Nightstand Novels
Nov 09, 2012 rated it really liked it

This review was originally posted at Nightstand Novels

It took me a while to really get into this story. Maybe because I could only read a paragraph or two at a time during my lunch break and I was extremely distracted. My initial thought was that the first few pages started off rather slowly. I almost ditched it in lieu of another novel but I am so glad that I didn't. This short story turned out to be a great read and I absolutely fell in love with Poppy.

It is not often we meet a heroine who's f
Melyssa Winchester
description

Title: Stranded
Author: J.C. Valentine
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Series or Standalone: Standalone Series Novella (Night Calls #1)
Rating: ★★★★★

Review
description

Sometimes, you just need a break from the emotionally trying, ugly cry inducing stories that are out there in the world as it pertains to romance. And sometimes, like me, you just need something, short, steamy and to the point. No drama, no craziness. Just a kindle heating, sexual tension and then exploding building story that by the end, gives you ev
Rachael
Mar 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Overall the book as a whole was a great read. Went very quickly which goes to show how well written it is and the level of interest it keeps with its readers. I would have like a bit more character development, but I could see folks as seeing that unnecessary for this genre. Although, it is part of a series, so perhaps the development is being saved for later - which is fine.

I really enjoyed the simplicity of the plot and general surroundings. I've grown a bit bored of the exhaustive description
figuranta❤️addicted❤️to❤️books❤️
3.5 starts

Stranded it's a very sweet story a bit too short for my liking were the story is developing too quick but overall was a good read i enjoy it.

Felix it's a literary agent divorced for a few yrs happy with his life jumping in bed with a different woman every night afraid to start another relationship.
Poppy is recently divorced after discovered her husband was keeping another woman on the side so after a messy divorce she decided she needs a change and moves in the country side were she
Jan 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Firstly, I would like to say thankyou for letting me read this story. I so much like tales of fantacy. As we all live real lives, it's nice just to see something most would only dream about.

At first reading how Felix's day was turning out, I couldn't stop laughing. Well done to bring me into his head & to feel how he was feeling while it all unfolded before him. It was easy to follow, which I know can be hard in short stories sometimes.

Poppy I think represents so many of us & what we al
Mommaleena
Feb 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
•Interesting Turn of Events
Felix tired and worn out from a weeklong writers’ convention was driving home on a dark stormy rainy night when he shouldn't be, but he couldn’t sleep away from home. He was too tired, the roads were slippery from the rain. After crashing his car he had to walk to find a phone to call for help, since the crash broke his cell phone.
Poppy moved out to her quaint little house after the dust settled from divorcing her cheating husband a year ago. Since then she's chose
Hazel *Craves the Angst Reviews*
Find This And Other Reviews At Craves The Angst.

Stranded (Night Calls, 1) is a Short Story/Novella Romance written by J.C. Valentine. I read this as a R2R with Fifty Shades Support Group. As always, a special thank you to the mods and author for allowing me to participate.

3.5 Stars!
Short, Steamy and Sexy!

The Review:
This was a terrific little read, about 57 pages, and it surprised me how much I enjoyed it considering I don’t normally go for short stories/novellas unless I’ve been invested in
Savy
Jan 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
If there's ever an occasion where I discover a tall, strong, gorgeous man standing in my yard during a cold, stormy night; I hope the story goes like this.

Felix finds himself in a car accident causes by exhaustion and weather. Adding to insult, he realizes his car is immobile, his cell phone is battery is dead, and his only option is walk through the rigorous weather for help. Poppy, a recent divorcee, lives remotely in the outskirts of town with her dog Bo, and is happily devouring a romance no
Signed Paperbacks! 1 4 Jun 12, 2013 12:17PM
Reviewers United: This topic has been closed to new comments. Night Calls Series Giveaway ends June 17 1 6 May 23, 2013 04:10PM
  • Bride By Design: Flights of Fancy (Taken By The Billionaire, #1)
  • Her Master's Kiss
  • Birthday Games (Spy Games, #1.5)
  • Strangers on a Train (Seduced by the Park Avenue Billionaire, #1)
  • A Line Crossed (The Line Trilogy, #2)
  • Front Man: The Complete Trilogy (Three books in one volume)
  • Birthday Wishes (The List, #1)
  • Heart's Desire (The Billionaire's Son, #3)
  • By My Side
  • Chocolate Covered Billionaire Navy SEAL
  • Ride A Cowboy: Back in the Saddle / Eight Second Ride
  • Phantom (Endlessly, #3)
  • A Valentine's Surprise (Seasons of Love, #1)
  • Whiskey and Lace (Lace, #2)
  • Fangs, Fur and Mistletoe (Mystic Isle, #1)
J.C. Valentine is the USA Today and International bestselling author of the Night Calls and Wayward Fighters Series and the Forbidden Trilogy. Her vivid imagination and love of words and romance had her penning her own romance stories from an early age, which, despite being poorly edited and written longhand, she forced friends and family members to read. No, she isn't sorry.

J.C. lives in the Nort

Night Calls (5 books)
  • That First Kiss (Night Calls #2)
  • Surrender to Love (Night Calls, #3)
  • Trust (Night Calls #3.5)
  • Taming Sheila (Night Calls, #4)

Romance Deals

• Party Girl
    $4.49 $1.99
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Paris (International Guy #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Shame on Him (Fool Me Once, #3)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Out of Breath (Breathing, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Off Base (Out of Uniform, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Barely Breathing (Breathing, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Reason to Breathe (Breathing, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Second Chance Summer (Cedar Ridge, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Married By Morning (The Hathaways, #4)
  • Playing It Safe
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beneath Copper Falls (Rock Harbor #6)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Tight
    $4.99 $2.49
  • A Year of Weddings: Twelve Love Stories (A Year of Weddings Novella)
    $12.99 $3.99
  • The Curse Keepers (The Curse Keepers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Feral Sins (The Phoenix Pack, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How to Tame a Beast in Seven Days (The Embraced #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Shame on You (Fool Me Once, #1)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Shame on Me (Fool Me Once, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Curse Breakers (The Curse Keepers #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Exes (Liars, Inc., #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Shadow's Edge (Night Prowler, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Taste of Magic (Magic, # 1)
  • Where the Road Takes Me
    $3.99 $1.99
  • New York (International Guy #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Sin With Me (Bad Habit, #3)
  • The Memory of You
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Wicked Cravings (The Phoenix Pack, #2)
  • Good Guys Love Dogs
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Camino Beach
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Embrace the Night (Vampire Romance #1)
  • The Shell Seekers
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wicked White (Wicked White Series Book 1)
  • All the Little Lights
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Carnal Secrets (The Phoenix Pack, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Scream For Me: A Novel of the Night Hunter (For Me, #3)
  • When Life Happened
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Cheater (Curious Liaisons, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Cheater's Regret (Curious Liaisons, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hunting Grounds (Hidden Sins, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Consequence of Revenge (Consequence, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Consequence of Seduction (Consequence #3)
  • The Story of Us
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Consequence of Loving Colton (Consequence, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • No More Masquerade (Secrets of Stone Series Book 2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dunaway's Crossing
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Twisted Truths (Blood Brothers, #3)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Curse Defiers (The Curse Keepers, #3)
  • The Roommate 'dis'Agreement
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Rules of Regret
  • Cry Baby
  • Matchmaking for Beginners
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Hollywood Dirt (Hollywood Dirt, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Threat of Danger (Mission Recovery, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Copenhagen (International Guy #3)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Don't Hex with Texas (Enchanted, Inc., #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wild Hunger (The Phoenix Pack, #7)
  • Archer's Voice
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wicked Intentions (Maiden Lane, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Billionaire's Touch (The Sinclairs, #3)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • No Ordinary Billionaire (The Sinclairs, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Forbidden Billionaire (The Sinclairs, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • No Turning Back (Kathleen Turner #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Surviving Girls (Hidden Sins, #3)
  • The Boy I Hate
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Dirt on Ninth Grave (Charley Davidson, #9)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Dark Instincts (The Phoenix Pack, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Every Little Kiss (Sequoia Lake, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Girls of Mischief Bay (Mischief Bay, #1)
  • Happy All the Time
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Devil's Cut (The Bourbon Kings, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Atheists Who Kneel and Pray
  • Hold On My Heart
    $4.49 $0.99
  • One Day
    $6.99 $2.99
“She wasn’t ready for this kind of distraction he caused her. It was bad enough she found him attractive, but having a attractive man in her home was just asking for trouble.” 10 likes