Start by marking “Winnie the Witch” as Want to Read:
Winnie the Witch

Winnie the Witch

(Winnie the Witch #1)

Winnie the Witch lives in a black house. She has black chairs and black stairs, black floors and black doors. The trouble is that Winnie's cat, Wilbur, is also black. After sitting on him and tripping over him, Winnie decides to turn Wilbur into a green cat. But then he goes out into the long grass!

Winnie is going to need a little magic to make sure she can always see
Published August 3rd 2006 by Oxford University Press (first published 1987)

Start your review of Winnie the Witch
Mir
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture
Winnie the Witch lives in an all-black house with a black cat. They have a problem.

I read this in Spanish. It would be good for someone learning the language because (unlike a surprising number of picture books) the illustrations reflect pretty directly what is being narrated in the text. I assume it would also be a good learning-to-read book in English.
Lisa
Winnie the Witch is a lovely, clumsy, good-natured, wild witch, who tries her best to get her spells right, but usually has to make all possible mistakes first, before getting it right in the end. And what is right is usually different from what she envisioned in the beginning.

I can't recall how often I have read the Winnie books, both the picture books and the chapter books spin offs. This is the first one, and Winnie has a mission!

She lives in a Black House, and everything in it is black, even
Jamie
Apr 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Cute book about a witch who lives in an all black home and has a black cat who she sometimes has a hard time seeing (since everything is black). A short journey as she works to fix the problem. Most cute and amusing!
The art is playful and actually has a surprising amount of detail to it. You can tell a good deal of time was put into the pictures which is something I always appreciate in a good children's book.
This is the first book about Winnie. We will continue looking to add the others to our
Abigail
Dec 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Young Children Who Enjoy Witchy Tales
Recommended to Abigail by: Kathryn
Winnie the Witch finds herself continually tripping over her black cat Wilbur in this humorous and endearing tale from Australian children's author Valerie Thomas. With a black house filled with black furnishings - even the bathtub is black! - it's not difficult to see why. After one mishap too many, Winnie reaches for her wand, turning Wilbur a bright green! But when this too proves problematic, and she turns him into a multi-colored cat, she ends up with one distressed feline on her hands. Is ...more
Kathryn
So cute!!! My affection is fueled, no doubt, by my empathy in sharing a home with a black cat and nearly sitting/tripping on/losing said cat around the house in the dark. In this case, however, Winnie's black cat is so well disguised at any time of day because her house is completely BLACK! She tries a number of different spells to turn poor kitty various shades that will help him stand out before she finally comes to a beautiful conclusion. A charming story with delightful illustrations sure to ...more
Lisa Vegan
Dec 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any time of year (Halloween would be great!) for any age child, no matter how fearful
Enchanting! A witch that isn’t scary at all, one who loves her cat Wilbur so much that his welfare is her uppermost concern. I really liked Winnie and Wilbur.

The illustrations are wonderful. I especially enjoyed the details of the house, inside and outside, on the last page, but every picture in the book was wonderful.

This book is very sweet and it’s very funny too. I loved the whole story, especially the conclusion.

There are sequels. Do I dare try them out? Probably; this one was so adorable.
Robbie Cheadle
Feb 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Winnie the Witch and her large black cat, Wilbur, live in a house that is entirely black. The curtains are black and all the furniture, bedding and even the bath tub. Wilbur has bright green eyes so everything is fine when he is awake but when he is asleep, Winnie can't see him. This causes Winnie to have all sorts of accidents tripping over poor, snoozing Wilbur. After one particularly disastrous accident, Winnie decides to remedy the situation by turning Wilbur bright green. That creates a new ...more
Gerry
Sep 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Black was Winnie the Witch's favourite colour; her house. inside and outside, her carpets, her chairs, her bed, including sheets and blankets, and her bath were all black. And her cat was also black so it was no surprise when trouble developed.

When Wilbur's green eyes were open, Winnie could see him but when he closed his eyes he simply merged into the background. Winnie sat on him when he was on a chair, fell over him when he was asleep on the carpet and tumbled down the stairs when she fell
Set
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: halloween

Very cute story about a witch named Winnie and her cat Wilbur. The illustrations are fun and detailed, perfect for Halloween.
Anna
Aug 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Who doesn’t like reading books about magic and witches? Especially if they describe adventures of the adored Winnie the Witch and her cat Wilbur.

This time Winnie finds it hard to see her black cat in her black house, with black chairs, black carpets, a black bed and even a black bath. Wilbur’s green eyes can help, but not when they are closed. She sits on him and she trips over him. Winnie the Witch uses her magic power and makes her cat bright green, but it is not a perfect solution especially
Judy
Nov 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This never fails to entertain a child. Boy or girl, they all love to participate in the reading, waving their imaginary wands as Winnie casts one of her colorful spells.
Beth
Sep 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is a range of Winnie and Wilbur books, this is my favourite. Winnie's house is all black and so is Wilbur. Winnie keeps losing and stepping on Wilbur so she's uses her magical wand to turn him green, then multicoloured. Wilbur doesn't like to be all these different colours, so in the end she uses her magic wand to turn her house multicoloured and Wilbur back to black.

Very fun story. Introduces the concept of camouflage.
Dianna
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cute!
Max Lawson
Winnie the Witch is a children's story first published in 1987. It is another classic childrens book I remember being read to me as a child, and that, to my delight, has since been made into a series of story books that tell the tales and mishaps of Winnie the Witch and her black cat Wilbur.

This particular edition tells the story of Winnie the rather clumsy witch. It begins describing her house, it is completely black including all the decorations and furniture. The trouble starts when Winnie
Nicola Devine
Oct 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Winnie the Witch is one of my favourite childhood stories. It tells the story of Winnie, the witch, who lives in her black house with her cat Wilbur who is also black and that is how the trouble begins! The only way Winnie can see Wilbur is when he is awake as his eyes are green. Thus, the trouble arises when Wilbur tries to go for a catnap. When Wilbur does this he becomes invisible to Winnie's eyes and so she ends up either sitting on him or falling over him constantly. One day Winnie has a ...more
Zareen
Apr 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One on the seven books from Winnie’s magical disastrous mayhems, this book is about Winnie’s black castle. The chairs, staircase, doors and floors are all black. The problem is that Winnie’s cat is also black. Winnie decides to turn Wilbur (the cat) into a different colour so that she doesn’t trip, sit or kick him. She turns him green but Winnie has trouble finding him when he goes outside in the long grass! After trying several different colours, and subsequent problems occurring, she finally ...more
Jonna
Mar 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
I think this is such a cute book. I picked it up at a used book store because my mom has this thing for witches, but I decided to keep it because I liked it so much. I didn't realize till rating it that there were more Winnie the Witch books. Library, here I come!
Jess
Sep 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Valerie Thomas has a huge collection of Winnie the Witch books which all have the same level of a beautifully-crafted story filled with twists. Winnie is a very adorable character. The stories written about Winnie and Wilbur are appealing to young children. Throughout the story, the children are intent on finding Wilbur and guessing the colour he will be on the next page. The illustrations throughout the book are very detailed and filled with bright colours. Winnie infamously is always dressed ...more
Maisie Giblenn
Aug 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The main theme throughout this book is problem solving. This is shown through Winnie not being able to see her black cat in her black house, which causes her all sorts of problems. To solve the problem she tries to fix it with magic spells.
I would say this book is suitable for KS1 students. It is very picture heavy, however it does contain some relatively challenging words to develop the children’s reading.
I would recommend this book to young children and it is a funny story with engaging
Ryan
Jun 10, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wilbur is a black cat that lives with Winnie the witch in a black house. But Wilbur is hard to see. He gets sat on and tripped over. Winnie uses her powers to change Wilbur’s colors. But will it work? To find out read the book. It was a fun read, and while it’s hard to articulate why, I think most readers will understand why this book isn’t super popular. It’s missing something…..
Gabrielle Sandford-Marshall
This text is ideal for EYFS/KS1. Having been fortunate to have met the illustrator Korky Paul during Serial Days, his bold and fun character illustrations provide an opportunity to engage in the Art curriculum as well as writing opportunities. I’d love to arrange a visit to a class in Oxfordshire if I do end up teaching in the county!
Kathleen
Winnie isn't a mean witch, she just really likes the color black. So much, that everything she owns is black, and I do mean everything. There is only one problem, the cat keeps getting lost. What is one to do? Well, change the cat's fur obviously. A funny book about a not so scary witch.
Donna Mork
Feb 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Has a black cat and everything in the house is black. She trips over the cat etc. Turns him green. Trips over him in the yard. Changes him to rainbow. Cat is miserable. So she changes him back to black, and changes her house and all in it to various colors.
Pam
This book is a strange mix, while it has quite a bit of complex text for a picture book, the story is very simple and predictable thus probably only attractive to younger kids. Okay just not fabulous.
Grace Gayer
Sep 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Winnie is a forgetful, scatty witch who takes us on great adventures with her; sometimes as simple as she loses her black cat in her black house. A personal favourite of mine is the story of her getting ready for the annual witch magic show and the chaos that ensues!
Nickie
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this as an ice breaker with the children in my new reception class and they loved it, especially picking up their own magic wands and joining in with the spells! Was lucky enough to meet Korky Paul last year he is really great and attends school visits which is great to know!
Samantha Benton
Jun 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The illustrations were silly and well detailed, really fun to look at. This book shows that changing something to fit what you want doesn’t always work in your favor. A truly enjoyable read for all young adolescents.
Celeste
Feb 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful introduction of Winnie the Witch and his black cat Wilbur. You just want to read more books of these two characters after finishing reading this one for sure. Great book for children, my son loves Winnie and Wilbur.
Jessica
Feb 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Winnie the witchs house is entirely black her cat is also black and she keeps tripping over him but what if Wilbur wasn't a black cat anymore?
Love this book and winnies house would be my house if I had my way :') poor Wilbur.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Funnybones
  • Meg and Mog
  • Peace At Last
  • The Tiger Who Came to Tea
  • Can't You Sleep, Little Bear?
  • Hairy Maclary from Donaldson's Dairy
  • The Jolly Postman, or Other People's Letters
  • Five Minutes' Peace
  • Burglar Bill
  • We're Going on a Bear Hunt
Librarian Note: There is more than one author by this name in the Goodreads database.

Valerie Thomas is the author of the bestselling and much loved Winnie the Witch picture books, illustrated by Korky Paul.

Valerie was born in Australia and has lived there for most of her life. Although she doesn’t have a broomstick, she has traveled to most parts of the world, and she is now trying to organize her

Winnie the Witch (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Winnie in Winter
  • Winnie Flies Again
  • Winnie's Magic Wand (Winnie the Witch, #4)
  • Winnie's New Computer
  • Winnie at the Seaside
  • Winnie's Midnight Dragon
  • Happy Birthday, Winnie!
  • Winnie's Flying Carpet