Start by marking “Time for a Duke” as Want to Read:
Time for a Duke

Time for a Duke

Izzy Hodgkin just wants her vacation to London, England, to be an adventure. Who knew that involved being locked in a closet only to find it’s 1812 when the door is opened by a handsome duke?

Thrust into a life she didn’t ask for, Izzy struggles to come to terms with the fact she might be stuck in another century. There doesn’t seem to be an instructional manual for the ru
Published November 1st 2012 by Astraea Press

To ask other readers questions about Time for a Duke, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Time for a Duke

Start your review of Time for a Duke
Natasha
May 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
Isabella Hodgkin is locked in a closet while touring an old home in England. When the door is opened, she finds herself face to face with a 19th-century duke. Neither of them knows how she managed to travel back in time, but Charles Wade, the Duke of Bramblewood Green {That name!}, sees her as the perfect solution to his need for a wife. I had to suspend reality for a few hours to get through this book and it wasn't due to the time travel element. We're supposed to believe that A DUKE and his fa ...more
Laurie
Nov 20, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle
Rachel Dyken
Nov 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Ruth J. Hartman, does such a fantastic job with this book. I've always wondered what would happen if a modern girl was thrown back into Regency times. I mean, would the iPhone work? Would people think you were insane and send you to Bedlam? Or would you fall in love?

In my mind it would be very difficult to mesh the two worlds together. How do you stay true to regency while at the same time throwing in modern words and customs? Miss Hartman weaves a beautiful tale, balancing the two worlds so eff
Andrea Smith
Dec 15, 2012 rated it it was ok
At first I enjoyed this time travel Christmas novella. I found the ball especially exciting and then wham--the main characters sleep together. I was totally broadsided because this was recommended on the Goodreads Clean Reads list. And granted, there are no explicit or detailed scenes. But the fact that they had sex just soured the entire story for me. First of all, it turned their budding love into lust and then their relationship just wasn't believable to me. If Charles was a true gentleman an ...more
Alanna Jenkins
I don’t often read fantasy-type novels, but when I read the synopsis for Time For A Duke it reminded me of Kate & Leopold. That alone gave me enough reason to give it a go, so here’s what I thought.

Time For A Duke follows Izzy Hodgkins, an American who has travelled to England alone to trace her ancestors. She takes a guided tour of an old country estate and ends up locked in a closet. When the door opens, she finds that she’s been transported back from 2012 to 1812, and the Duke who owns the h
Jennette
Nov 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don’t always read the excerpts of other books after I’ve finished a story, but recently I read I did take that time to read an excerpt and found this little gem, Time for a Duke. It is a short-ish story of an accidental time traveler who finds herself locked in a closet in 2012 and escapes from the closet into the arms a duke in 1812. Izzy struggles as any an ordinary career-minded woman of this century might, if she found herself suddenly 200 years in the past in the midst of British upper so ...more
Krystal
Nov 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
This one one of those quick reads that is not only a lot of fun, but will have you shaking your head and laughing out loud. At first, I wasn't sure if I would enjoy this novel or not, having attempted my own version of a "time travel" novel some time ago, however I was more than pleasantly surprised.

The characters were fun and quirky, and I thought the fact that they could find enjoyment in each others company given the huge gap in time periods both unique and refreshing. I also loved how overp
Kathy Heare Watts
YOU ARE MY DREAM
I absolutely loved this time travel romance, with its charming cast of characters, witty and entertaining dialog and sweet romance. I was laughing out loud so many times while reading this story of the various antics described, especially at the Kringle’s Ball. Ms Hartman has a wonderful way of spinning a tale, adding cats, birds and various animals, entertaining us with delightful characters and a clean sweet romance. The plot kept me captivated and the pages turning. I love a s
Nicole Laverdure
Oct 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Historical romance with a twist!

I love time travel romance! So, when I read Time for a Duke, written by Ruth J. Hartman, it had everything to please me.

Present day, 2012 London England, Izzy, an independent and modern young woman, only dreams of adventure and romance in her life.
During a old estate visit, where a famous duke, used to live, she has a panic attack, and her whole world will forever change.
Enters Charles, Duke of Bramblewood, to her rescue. Is she dreaming? Will their dreams com
Kim Bowman
Nov 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Ms. Hartman has garnered a fan. I was impressed with how she carried off having a woman from 2012 transport in time back to 1812 and stayed true to how different the characters would think and act throughout. Up to the end, she held fast to the fact that these people were not only from different worlds (he from England, she from America) but from two different times. Her humor was the best! Well worth the read!
Christine
Sep 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
I was unaware when I started reading this book it had some time travel involved. I haven't read one in awhile and realized that I missed reading them. I enjoyed the connection that Charles and Isabella (Izzy) shared. Sarah was truly a gem on so many levels. Uncle Sebastian was a riot, in and out of his cups. I laughed out loud at so many parts in this story. A quick, light read that will leave you smiling, like Henrietta the cat.
Angi Neal
Sep 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great novella! I wish it had been longer but thus is the curse of a novella! It was something a little different than I normally read but I did enjoy it. I have always wondered what it would be like to go back in time and be a part of the society that I love to read about. I love Izzy's choice in the end and I honestly did wonder what her choice was going to be!
January
Nov 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: regency
Cute storyline. It is a novella so a quick read. The main characters fell for each other a little quickly leaving only the conflict of whether or not the heroine would opt to go back to her own time left for the resolution. With a novella though, that has to happen fast. Good evening read.
Donna
Such a sweet, cute and lighthearted romance. Even within the shorter format, Hartman is able to create loveable characters and spin a tale that is so engaging and entertaining. This is only the second story I've read by this author, but she is quickly becoming a favourite.
Dotty
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
Storyline, plot unbelievable

I love time travel stories but this one had too many really unbelievable holes in the plot. Hard time figuring how she was kept hidden for two weeks. He supplied her with all her new dresses and no one noticed them being delivered . The maid helped and served her for hours every day and no one noticed she was not around. Assume she was also bringing her food since she did not leave her room. Once again, no one noticed. She and the Duke talked for a few minutes when h
Carol
Jan 27, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Avoid

I read a large number of independent, self-published authors. My expectations are for a good story, reasonably written, that engages the imagination and interest.
With this book I tried,I really, really tried to stick with it. Even when I hit a supremely cringeworthy, WTF moment with the lines “Lord and Lady Kringle’s Christmas Eve Ball at Holly Hall”, I stuck with it. Shortly after, however, I had to give up.
Sadly, the writing and ‘style’ are appalling.
Just avoid this one.
Patricia
May 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, 2019
WE MAY NOT BE WHERE WE BELONG

I don't usually read time travel, but it's by Ruth Hartman, so...
It's a lovely book, a happily ever after, uncomplicated with a nice day and all the proper trimmings. It is the kind of book you can read when you have just a mild headache, or a heartache, and it'll help.
Royce Watson
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good book

I enjoyed this book. It's a different kind of love story, the characters don't spend half of their time trying to find a reason not to love each other. Try it, I think you will like it.
ECReads
Mar 12, 2020 rated it liked it
Satisfying Short Story

It has been a long time since I read a time travel book, and this one gave me the inclination to revisit them. All of the characters were interesting, although Charles wasn't as well defined as Izzy. Short, sweet, and funny. I only wish there was an epilogue.
Susan Carroll
May 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Through the closet to 1812

Can a career driven, computer using woman find a happy life in 1812 England? Petticoats, corsets, long full dresses, servants to dress her, society's rules to follow. Is there a place for an independent woman?
CAITLIN
Jun 16, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult-romance
1.5 stars. So bad! 😂 I did enjoy it, but it’s soooo bad lol
Emily Lund
Aug 05, 2013 rated it it was ok
It was very short, I actually finished it at work on a break. No strong conflicts I don't get how this was published e-book or not. I honestly thought near the end that was the rising plot but turns out I was completely wrong. What happened with her purse and its contents? Had his Uncle intentionally got her drunk to find out more about her since she is american? As for a romance novel this had nothing seriously pulling them apart. The only thing "threatening" to pull them apart was her desire t ...more
Vickey Mcgee
Dec 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Beautiful Story

What a beautiful story. Modern woman goes to England and is transported back in time. This is a nice clean book. It reads quickly. A great story for all. Loved the characters and of course, Henrietta.
April
TIME FOR A DUKE by Ruth J. Hartman is a sweet, quick, quirky, fun Regency Historical time romance. A Novella that is well worth the time to read.
Well written with engaging,and charming characters. A welcome change from the routine Time Travel Romance. Set during the Regency Historical Romance era. This story has a 2012 American Heroine and a 1812 Duke Hero. Romantic drama at it's best! A welcome change! A great Evening read! A must read for Time Travel Historical Romance fans, and/or Historical
Nicole Dunton
Oct 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
While there were some things I couldn't really wrap my head around, this was a beautiful story. It was filled with hope and compassion. I really adored the characters in it. I do wish that certain characters had a little more active of a role though, but it didn't really matter too much. Without going into too much details and spoiling it, I wish I could see a scene or two from five years later to see how all the characters turned out. The narrator did a great job with this as well! If you are i ...more
Cheryl
Dec 28, 2012 rated it liked it
This is a fun story that I couldn't put down. I read it all in one evening. I liked the time travel and watching the two characters from different eras learn to relate to one another. Loved the kitty too. I was disappointed when the characters slept together. That kinda spoiled the whole thing for me. It was not graphic at all, however it just seemed out of character, at least for Charles. I also prefer squeaky clean reads.
Spowers1
Jan 05, 2013 rated it did not like it
Poorly written. No story arc or character develop. Only thing that happens in book is characters go to a ball. Never question ability to time travel or concern about ability to return. Female character is abused and belittled by father but seams to instantly forgive when male character speaks rudely to her. If her dream is to be more independent then tell Charles off. There are a lot better time travel romances.
Suri
Mar 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: hr
Maybe bec this was a short read but I somehow felt detached from this. Idk, There were important reasons/explanations left out, uncharacteristic situations/reactions and abrupt ending. shrugs. Plus I felt that the ball which was made into such a big deal upon her arrival in the past, what's the word, was unexciting for me. I did enjoy reading about their comparisons with the past & present, still, things seemed rushed yet uneventful. ...more
Charissa
Sep 13, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2013, regency
This story sets modern day Izzy into the past where she meets a duke--Charles. At first it was kind of enjoyable, but got kind of unbelievable and irritating near the end. Izzy is a floozey (which made me dislike her and think less of the duke as well), and the thoughts and emotions of the characters flipflopped too much to seem realistic.
Faye Lawson
Was it the cat or the closet?

Either of which led to true love! She wanted independence, he wanted true love they both almost gave up on what they had! Warmhearted Xmas reading but left me wanting more story. I do like Ms Hartman's writings and yet I always wonder what happened next!

• Trapped in Time: A Modern-Historic Love Story
  • Forever, Lately: A Regency Time Travel Romance
  • Intertwine (House of Oak, #1)
  • The Deserted Heart (Unmarriageable #1)
  • A Town and Country Season (Regency Charades Book 4)
  • One Moonlit Tryst
  • The Widow (Silver Linings Mysteries, #1)
  • In the Heart of the Fire (Nameless #1)
  • Photographing the Dead (Nameless #2)
  • Red Rain (Nameless #4)
  • Witch Indeed (Mackenzie Coven Mystery #2)
  • Witch Cast (Mackenzie Coven Mystery #3)
  • The Clerk (Silver Linings Mysteries, #0.5)
  • Duchess By Night (Desperate Duchesses, #3)
  • The Praying Mantis Bride (Nameless #3)
  • The Apothecary (Silver Linings Mysteries, #3)
  • The Governess (Sisters of Woodside Mysteries, #1)
  • The Lost Letter
Ruth J. Hartman spends her days herding cats, and her nights spinning tales that make you smile. She, her husband, and their cats love to spend time curled up in their recliners watching old Cary Grant movies. Well, the cats sit in the people's recliners. Not that the cats couldn't get their own furniture. They just choose to shed on someone else's.

Ruth, a left-handed, cat-herding, farmhouse-dwe

News & Interviews