Start by marking “The Hospital: The First Mountain Man Story (Mountain Man #0.5)” as Want to Read:
The Hospital: The First Mountain Man Story (Mountain Man #0.5)

The Hospital: The First Mountain Man Story

(Mountain Man 0.5)

"Mountain Man" Augustus Berry is a survivor in undead suburbia. He scavenges what he can from what's left over. He is very careful in what he does and where he goes, taking no chances, no unnecessary risks, and weighing every choice... until he decides to visit the hospital at the edge of town, and experiences terror the likes he's never encountered before.

A short story o
Published October 2nd 2012 by Amazon Digital Services, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about The Hospital, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Montzalee Wittmann
Dec 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Hospital: The FREE Short Story: The First Mountain Man Story
By: Keith C. Blackmore
Narrated by: R. C. Bray
Series: Mountain Man, Book 1.5
This is just a short story but boy it had me glued to my tablet! It was suspense-filled and terrifying! A great short horror story! To make it even better, it had RC Bray narrating!!! He is my favorite narrator and he masters the horror book as well as the comedy I am accustom to listening to. Wow, great combo. Great short and great narrator.
This is also FREE
Hayat
This audiobook is an introduction to the Mountain Man series and it's still free on Audible. The plot is fast, tense, disturbing and perfect for a short horror story. The narrative and characters are just too raw and uncomfortable for me, I don't like reading about characters who shit or piss on themselves or to be confronted with the reality of lack of hygiene in such a blatant way. The Hospital: The First Mountain Man Story is a thrilling read but I don't think this series is for me a
Farith
I don't remember much from this audiobook. They only thing still fresh in my mind is that I fell asleep while listening to it. Yes, it was that bad.

The audiobook was pretty bad, I didn't like the narrator. The story was poor and had potential, but the author turned it into a boring How to get outta here story. Honestly I had some expectations for this, now I don't see myself reading the rest books of the series.

I don't recommend it but if you want to give it a try you can get it for FREE here.
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
I loved this sick little story. I guess I needed a quick zombie fix.

Zoeytron
More zombie fare here. A short story that gives one pause to consider - do the dead sleep? Augustus (think Mad Max gone to fat), intent on pilfering supplies from an abandoned hospital, is delighted to find a sizeable stash of toilet paper. Just like gold these days, yes, it is. His joy is short-lived when he runs into Nurse Alice, who has stayed behind to take care of the little ones. Crazy Nurse Alice makes Nurse Ratched seem positively angelic. And she has a nursery full of hungry mouths to f ...more
Bark
Sep 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, horror
I downloaded this a million years ago but finally got around to listening to it today. It was terrifying, so disturbingly good and is still Free on Audible. It’s only an hour and long so you’ll get through it in no time at all. Go get it.

Apparently this story is a prequel to a series of books set in this same zombie apocalypse stricken world. Or maybe it’s just set in the same world. I don’t really know. What I do know is that you don’t have to read the others before listening to The Hospital.
Char
Oct 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-book
3.5 stars, rounded up!

This was a free audiobook that I downloaded some time ago, due to a friend's review. (B & B, I'm looking at you!)

This was a quick listen, gruesome and lots of fun!

It did make me interested in checking out more of Mr. Blackmore's work.

Recommended to fans of short stories, as long as you're okay with lots of gore!
Cathy
May 19, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2018
Nice intro to a series about a mountainman living through the zombie apocalypse.

Will I pick up the series? Probably not. But it was interesting enough and yucky and had some zombie nastiness that I hadn‘t come across before.

Free on audible.
Miriam
5 stars audio!!!
5 crude, gruesome and humorous stars story!
Ryan Nims
Apr 12, 2014 rated it did not like it
Not good. Pretty average post zombie apocalypse story with few actual zombies. Any tension that could have been built up through story was cancelled out by the unnecessarily graphic imagery (a naked overweight alcoholic biker defecating himself while being swarmed by infant zombies?) This story was basically a series of cheap horrors with little to no actual substance.
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
The Hospital is a prequel to Mountain Man series. I rarely listen to books, but picked this one because it was short and free. The narrator is great and thanks to him I enjoyed it.

Gus Berry is on his own in a zombie infested world. Occasionally, he comes to the city to get anything he can find. He finds a lot more than he expected in the hospital. He is not unarmed, he is aware of the danger, but what he finds is pretty bad.
This story is both disturbing and occasionally funny. I am not sure if I
Frank
May 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
On the recommendation of a friend, I checked out this novelette/short story. It's meant to serve as a teaser into a longer series known as The Mountain Man series. It turns out, it wasn't my cup of tea.

Lots of errors in the beginning, like the editor skipped the first five pages. Story tightens up mid-way and becomes interesting. By the end its every other zombie story I've read before. This is an introduction to a longer series. If you're into zombies this could be for you.

It's not for me unfo
11811 (Eleven)
Nov 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Nice intro to his work and probably a good zombie series. If I'm ever interested in another zombie series, I would probably check out his Mountain Man books.
AudioBookReviewer
Mar 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My full The Hospital: The First Mountain Man Story audiobook review can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

My only complaint about The Hospital is that its too short. Blackmore introduces us to a world that has been ravaged by some sort of plague, thank you for not getting into it, the type of world that I have become accustomed to. The Mountain Man Augustus Berry, star of the series, reminds me of a character that I know of but cannot for the life of me remember who, there is a reason he is a survi
Kady Monroe
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
I really enjoyed listening to this short book. It was shorter than expected, approx 1 hour for the actual story and then you have a preview chapter from another book in the series.
This is a tense and gory read/listen, set in a hospital where the dead lurk. The main character goes there to scavenge for supplies and gets more than he bargained for.
An edge of your seat listen, well narrated. Recommended.
Cheryl
Jan 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Short story that starts out the MOUNTAIN MAN series

This short story was originally published in Blackmore's book of short stories "Cauldron Gristle." I am rereading the story and will be rereading "Mountain Man" and "Safari (Mountain Man Book 2)" so I can go on to books three and four in the Mountain Man series - "Hellifax (Mountain Man Book 3)" and "Well Fed (Mountain Man Book 4)."

I liked the books the first time I read them and this short story answers a couple of questions that pop up in MOUN
Rafael
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.7 to be fair, I like this story, I’ve always been a zombie apocalypse aficionado and was surprised to read this was a tale of the kind, very graphical and disturbing in some parts, I’ve always wanted to write something of the genre so this was a thrill for me, a good old fashion zombie apocalypse tale, not bad, an entertaining read.
SheriC (PM)
Zombies are my least favorite horror sub-genre. Ridiculous as this sounds, I just can’t suspend disbelief with all the biological impossibilities. But this short story was really good in spite of that, mostly for its unusual twist, and for the little flash of post-apocalyptic humor when the protagonist comes across a supply room full of toilet paper.

Audiobook, which I picked up as a freebie on Audible ages ago and am just now getting around to. RC Bray’s performance was okay, using a sort of cl
Erika
Feb 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
So I downloaded this sometime last year and just never got around to listening to it. However, I had a 6 mile run today and thought this would be perfect since it was only an hour long.

As for a review, lets just say that I ran my fastest 6 miles ever and I was seriously glad it was an early evening run. Those babies. God. =\
Drew
Oct 15, 2015 rated it liked it
A short story not for the faint of heart. This prequel helps set up the mountain man stories so I figured I’d give it a shot to see if I want to read on. While the plot is short and simple it delivers on everything that a zombie lover would like. If you’re a blood and guts zombie lover get this books ASAP!
Bill
Apr 20, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to this one a while back and forgot to leave a review. This one is short trip to the hospital for Gus as he tries to find supplies in a post apocalyptic zombie landscape. What he found was interesting indeed. 3.5 Stars.
Darchelle
Jul 27, 2017 rated it liked it
This started out promising, then got kind of weird... I love a good zombie book or movie but this one was a little odd. But I will say the narrator was great! It sounded a lot like the guy that narrated 'The Martian'.

Update: it IS the same narrator as The Martian! :)
C.J. Mugleston
Oct 13, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Jorge
Wonderfully disgusting. I think Jorge would enjoy this one .
Lorraine
Feb 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobooks, 2016
Really enjoyed this story I will be getting the next one but not listening at night as it gave me nightmares.

Alice was scary, the main character was likeable and the story draws you in.
Michele
Free Audible Audio Book horror short story.
Horror isn't one of my normal genres but I since audio books aren't my normal thing either I thought I'd give it a try.

It wasn't great but it wasn't bad. The story was very graphic and the narrator did a good job of making me "see" the main character.

Still not sold on audio books either.
TISHA
If you like zombies and all of the survival skills that go along with being in a zombie apocalypse, then this is the book for you. I did not know this was part of a series. I listened to this story through audible for FREE. Since it is part of a series, I now have to find the other books in the series. This story also made me think of The Walking Dead.
Oct 19, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: audio-books
This was a freebie from audible and now I know why.
Jenn
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good. Def left me wanting to hear more of the story.
Barb
Aug 18, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audible, audiobook, horror
Ugh! I like zombie fiction but this one was too gross for me. Even without all the gory details it felt over-written. Clouds like a suicide? That is not good description & it doesn’t even make sense.
Ariella Zwillinger
Apr 19, 2018 rated it did not like it
I listened to this because it was free on audible... what a mistake!!

Mr. Blackmore is obviously a very disturbed man, and it shows in his book. Now, this is a zombie book so I didn't expect anything great from it, but the way the author writes is just disgusting. Not blood and guts disgusting, and not scary, but a whole different genre of nasty, repulsive, and revolting.
Here are some quotes from the book:

"If assholes could smile, his would be grinning across both cheeks."

"He was strapped to a gu

• Gehenna (West of Hell #1)
  • Zombie Tales: Primrose Court Apt. 502
  • The Damage Done
  • Night Terrors (Savage Species, #1)
  • Darkness Falling (Forever Twilight #1)
  • So Long, Lollipops (Until the End of the World, #1.5)
  • Escaping the Dead (Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, #1)
  • Exodus (Arisen, #5)
  • This Plague of Days OMNIBUS EDITION: The Complete Three Seasons of the Zombie Apocalypse Series
  • Nemesis (Arisen, #8.5)
  • Terminus (Outpost, #2)
  • Deadlocked (Deadlocked, #1)
  • A Chunk of Hell
  • Grey Fox (Day by Day Armageddon #4.5)
  • Victim Zero
  • Whodunnit? Murder on Mystery Island (Whodunnit?, #2)
  • Dead Team Alpha (Dead Team Alpha, #1)
  • Haunting Obsession
Books are available on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and others.

Mountain Man (5 books)
  • Mountain Man (Mountain Man #1)
  • Safari (Mountain Man #2)
  • Hellifax (Mountain Man #3)
  • Well Fed (Mountain Man #4)
  • Make Me King (Mountain Man #5)
“Never at night.” 1 likes
“those words, Gus did something for the very first time. He defecated himself right there and then. He was careful, so very careful about what he did and how he proceeded in town, and by sunny Jesus if he got out of this one he was going to get so fucking shit-faced drunk, it would be a thing of legend, and fuck the dreams, but right now, right this very moment, he could” 0 likes