Start by marking “No Place for a Lady (Regency Rags to Riches, #1)” as Want to Read:
No Place for a Lady (Regency Rags to Riches, #1)

No Place for a Lady

(The Regency Rags to Riches #1)

The London rookeries are slums, rife with criminals, and shunned by the upper crust.

But someone there intends to murder one of England's greatest leaders, and Marcus Kane, Lord Chadwick, will follow every clue, even into the bowels of London's underground. But he can't find his way alone.

A partner is required.

Fantine (Fanny) Delarive is perfect. She knows the slums better
Published October 4th 2012 by ePublishing Works! (first published May 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about No Place for a Lady, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Place for a Lady

Lynn
Genre: Historical romance (side note, I read somewehere that it was a romantic comedy but I didn't think this was an accurate description).
Standalone/series: I think stand alone
Cliffhanger?: (view spoiler)
Cursing?: Not that I remember
Descriptive Sex?: (view spoiler)
Descriptive Sex Between H/h With OW/OM?:(view spoiler)
Contains Cheating?: (view spoiler)
Overall Chemistry: Meh
Overall Couple's Rootablity: not that good unt
Babs
Oct 27, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, historical
Jade Lee is a great writer and author. The book started out decent and then I could not get into the read. I wanted more of the time period and there were things that did not add up. Women wouldn't be openly talking about a mistress for the hero. She rips her dress and shows a lot of leg which would lead to a scandal but nothing is made of it. Things like this just didn't add up for me. The writing is good just not the plot.
Natalie
Feb 08, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
Yep, a trashy romance novel, but I did laugh out loud in a few places, which is rare for me lately. Just fun characters.
Thom Swennes
Nov 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: free-e-book
Answering an urgent and unexpected summons from Lord Penworthy MP, Marcus Kane, Lord Chadwick, immediately goes to his townhouse on Grosvenor Square. He is surprised to see his old friend in apparently poor health and in a state of considerable agitation. Before he could inquire about the sudden emergency, the peace is broken by the sudden appearance of a diminutive streetwalker in a blaze of swirling color. Marcus was taken aback at this guttersnipe in the library of his powerful and distinguis ...more
Cindy Sickenger
Jan 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Riveting Adventure

Keeps you riveted to the expectation of the next scrape Fantine and Marcus find themselves in. Expect the unexpected! Funny, too!
Zimt
Mar 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
I actually read the "Jade Lee Bundle: Almost an Angel; No Place for a Lady" and wrote a combined review for both books you can find here on goodreads if you prefer that.

--------------------------------------

"No Place for a Lady" by Jade Lee is book 1 in the theme-linked series "The Regency Rags to Riches" where a poor soul (Rags) is taken up and finds itself back in polite society (Riches). It place in the time of Regency England and shows the hardships of that period like life in the rookerie
Gali
Feb 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, read-in-2017
This was one of those "well, it's a freebie and I haven't read any romance books in a while, so why not" reads. Overall, it is much better than a lot of what's found in the genre but I must admit that I was not too much into the school-ground antics/pigtail pulling that Fanny and Marcus got into for about the last three-quarters of the book.
Annie
Jun 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Fantine (Fanny/Rat) lives in the rookery, the rookeries being the slums of the city among the worst of the criminals. She does her best to protect and feed the orphaned kids along the docks, all little hellions and don’t mess with them kind of kids. She’s also the bastard child of an English politician, a man who never claimed her, never provided for her, and left her and her mother to their own wiles of support. When she does introduce herself to her real political father he hires her to help h ...more
Mackenzie
Apr 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: regency-romance
Our heroine, street urchin Rat/Fanny also new member of the ton Fantine Delarive, and hero, Marcus Kane, Lord Chadwick, meet by request of Lord Penworthy to save the life of a Member of Parliment (Mr. Wilberforce) whose slavery bill is due to pass. With an threat to his life, Penworthy insists that Fantine and Chadwick work together as their search takes them not only through the slums, which Fanny knows inside and out, to the ballrooms of the ton, where Chadwick and his family preside.

Fantine
Karla Brandenburg
May 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
A fun historical with a bastard child of a politician who grows into a spy for her father and is thrown into intrigue with a titled gentleman to stop a murder.

What distracted me: There was some inconsistency in Fantine's character, from the beginning where she remarks how she knows Spanish, and yet when called upon to learn a foreign language (French) is concerned with applying herself. Her spoken English jumps back and forth between cockney and cultured on a whim. She went to a proper school,
Kyra Dunst
Apr 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I laughed out loud so many times throughout this story. Fantine is a bastard woman with a noble father, but she won't let her father set her up on the side. Instead, she makes her own way as a spy in the underbelly of London. Lord Marcus has put his espionage days behind him, but when called for one last case, he can't help but step up to protect his country. When the two are forced to work together, sparks fly. Fantine is a wonderfully unique woman. She is kind and compassionate, but still inno ...more
Kerry
Oct 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
From the streets to the ball? It's the one place she doesn't want to conform to then again she just might have to. Work has made her partners with the one things she doesn't like, aristocrats and their snobbish ways. Yet t appease her father she will do as he wishes yet the pan to get rid of him easy enough seeps into her mind. How easy it will be. Or will it?
This had the right amount of everything. From keeping me on the edge of my seat to keeping me in stitches. I laughed so hard I had to but
Gayle Francis Moffet
Meh.

The leads grated on my nerves (especially with the female lead slipping between speaking normally and a phonetically spelled accent). The story could have been tightened by about 20 pages, and while I understand that the “forceful” and “possessive” male lead is appealing to some, it’s not appealing to me. The moments of non-consensual contact—and there was one that was non-con until she clubbed him in the head with a chair leg—were uncomfortable and not what I was looking for. If I’d known
Tina Ullrich
Jan 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Robberies to mansion

Fantine and Marcus have a lively, romping, thrilling good time protecting so mms e one from death in the robberies of grand London. Fantine is raised by her actress mother until her death when she found out who her father was. Then as a spy to help her father she does odd jobs and gathers information. Marcus is a spy who is no sure of his abilities any convenience his brother's death. Now the two have to protect an MP from being murdered and locate the man behind the plot. In
Zena
May 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
A very interesting story about a girl living by her wits, in poverty and an aristocrat. Both work undercover as agents and in their own way, get 'things' done.
They are brought together to prevent a potential murder and so the adventure begins and continues.
Love blossoms and grows long before either of them realizes what is happening.
This is a romantic mystery which has been well written and cleverly thought out. I am impressed with this author's ability to keep one enthralled and entertained.
Victoria
Jun 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Loved, loved, loved it! A great story that went through to the end, loved all the little stories that began along way too. There would be times that the smaller stories never really ended just stopped abruptly and then would pick back up again. It made this book full from beginning to end but not confusing and it didn't feel like there was too much happening because it never happened all at the same time.

The chemistry between Fantina and Marcus was amazing, hot, frustrating and ridiculous at tim
Dawn
Jun 14, 2015 rated it liked it
I was confused through most of the book. There was hardly any character development and I was never sure why characters acted the way they did.
The whole book felt rushed. Maybe another 50 pages to develop the story would have helped it but I'm not sure.
The hero? Didn't like him. That extra 50 pages could've been his character going from a stuffy Regency lord to someone we could all like and fall in love with!

Jade Lee has written excellent work before so I was disappointed. This won't deter me f
Joan
I found this rather confusing to be honest, with too many characters and a plot that seemed thin at the best of times. Fantine's frequent and unnecessary use of gutter-speak was annoying as well as distracting. There were also some editing errors that should have been picked up I think. e.g:

..so she teased the clientele like a two-bit tart. That is a term used in the US and Canada, not in London.

A.C. Wilson
Aug 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was an absolutely fun book to read and I loved the story. It was genuine and quirky along with the stiff Regency status that normally comes into view. I felt for Fantine and the boys that she kept fed. I liked that she didn't want to succumb to the creature comforts offered to her by her father and by Marcus without making sure she could further help the children of the rookeries. Brilliant book! I'm going to keep reading!
Deborah Carter
Aug 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book has some typical elements. Heroine goes from poverty to wealth. The hero provides her with a season, so that she can learn about and experience the life of the upper crust.
The unusual is that both the hero and heroine are spies. That the hero wants the heroine as a mistress. The heroine already has had some exposure to the upper crust. She plans to marry for practical reasons. it was fun and interesting to see how these two came together.
Michele Lacroix
I don't remember if this was a freebee or cost .99, anyway it was worth it. I loved the heroine Fantine, and the hero Marcus, who you wanted to give a swift kick in the pants. The MP they were trying to save was an actual MP. In fact, the film Amazing Grace was about his fight to end slavery. It's well worth the price, which ever it was.
Chandra
Jan 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Romantic spying

SHE: grew up in the slums all of her life.
HE: a man of the upper crust who to refuses to work with a female to keep another man safe.

WHAT I LIKED: In every way she proves that she can handle the streets better than he can.

WHAT I DID NOT LIKE: TO poo much emphasis written about how she perceives her identity; too much "wrote is me".
Donna
Dec 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
You know by now I love strong women. Jade delivered. Fanny has a mind of her own in a time where that was not appreciated, much less encouraged. She is not willing to back down and be less than she is, even knowing her life could be easier. Marcus's mother might make a great role model for her. Check it out.
Holly Bargo
May 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great fun!

It's been awhile since I enjoyed a Recency romance this much. The heroine is an interesting mixture of courage, bravado, and insecurity. The hero shows growth and development without turning into a wimp. Editing is clean, too. Well done!
TJ
Jan 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
A different take on historical romance. I enjoyed it even though she was (gasp) a bastard. Although uneducated she was very smart. There were some moments that I was disappointed with like when they wanted to make her a part of he civilized society instead of allowing her to be herself.
Regina Davis
May 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Always a fight

The book is about and never ending battle of self, of other, and undermining. So... She sticks with the Romance novel formula. I liked it but found myself rushing through parts and savoring others. I found the book a bit long, but okay.
A.B.
Jun 24, 2015 rated it did not like it
DNF

From the odd plot inconsistencies, to the hero's continued references to "punishing" the heroine with his affections, and the randomly switching affectations of the heroine's accent, I didn't care anymore.

Held on until chapter 13, but the writing left too much lacking.
Donne Knudsen
May 20, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance-sexy
Cute historical romance. I like stories with strong female characters who know how to kick butt. However, the series isn't an extension of the current cast of characters. On that note, I am not interested in continuing the series.
Maryalice
May 14, 2013 rated it liked it
This is a well written store. Loved the way Fantine, Fanny, changed from being a lady to being Rat and back again as needed. Loved watching Marcus grow, but the story kept bogging down. I needed more action.
Crystal
May 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
4.5/5 stars
Witty and funny. This story will make you laugh out loud. Good plot and characters. 1/2 star off for a few editing errors. Great book with mystery, suspense, laughs, and a great love story.
The Free Book Cha...: No Place for a Lady, by Katherine Greyle 2 9 Nov 08, 2012 06:51PM

• Indiscreet (London Friends, #1)
  • Emerald Embrace
  • Capture the Night
  • The Last Rogue (Rogue Trilogy, #3)
  • Falling Stars (Rakes, #2)
  • A Scandalous Charade (Scandalous, #2)
  • What Wild Moonlight
  • To Love a Scoundrel (Law and Disorder, #4)
  • The Misbehaving Marquess (Nottinghamshire, #2)
  • Lucien's Fall
  • His Dark Desires (Trevelyan, #2)
  • Touch The Sun (Beauvisage, #2)
  • Stroke of Genius
  • Secrets of Midnight (The Man of My Dreams Series, #1)
  • After The Ashes
  • The Defiant Governess (Lessons in Love, #1)
  • Dust Devil
  • Warrior's Bride (The Stones of Destiny, #2)
Librarian Note: Also writes under the pen name Kathy Lyons.

A USA Today Bestseller, JADE LEE has been scripting love stories since she first picked up a set of paper dolls. Ball gowns and rakish lords caught her attention early (thank you Georgette Heyer), and her fascination with the Regency began. An author of more than 40 romance novels and winner of dozens of industry awards, her latest series

The Regency Rags to Riches (4 books)
  • Devil's Bargain (The Regency Rags to Riches #2)
  • Almost an Angel (The Regency Rags to Riches #3)
  • The Dragon Earl (The Regency Rags to Riches #4)