Start by marking “Dot Dash” as Want to Read:
Dot Dash

Dot Dash

Prepare to enter a world where nothing is ever quite what it seems, where elephants squat in living rooms, plastic ducks fall from the skies and even the rabbits can’t be trusted. The fifty-eight stories in Jonathan Pinnock’s Scott Prize-winning collection Dot Dash show a vivid yet disciplined imagination at work.

These stories, many of which have individually won prizes, a
Published November 1st 2012 by Salt

To ask other readers questions about Dot Dash, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dot Dash

Katie Lumsden
Dec 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this collection, especially the long-short format. My favourite stories were 'Going Back to Cairo' and 'Farewell Symphony'.
Shirley Golden
Jul 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I bought this collection after reading, "The Amazing Arnolfini and His Wife", which I loved. It contains "dashes" - short stories, and "dots" - micro-stories. Jonathan Pinnock sets up fantastic but not always comfortable scenarios, which reveal fears and flaws. His sci-fi, horror and humorous patchwork is both entertaining and accessible. My favourites included the very moving, "Return to Cairo", the humorous, "Canine Mathematics" and the telling, "A Plague of Yellow Plastic Ducks". Recommended.
Dan Purdue
Feb 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
After ploughing through a string of four over-long and largely disappointing novels, Dot Dash turned out to be just what I needed. It's quite a slim book, weighing in at a shade under 200 pages, but it contains 58 stories. As implied by the title, these are arranged in sequence, with "dots" (very short stories, many of them small enough to fit the 140-character limit of a tweet) alternating with "dashes" (more traditionally sized short stories). The "dashes" tend not to extend over more than fou ...more
Ellie
Nov 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
From guerrilla artists taking revenge on a corporate world to a tribal culture formed around rubber ducks. A love story told in few sentences; day one, week one, month one and year one. The simple, consideration of taking an old relative to a place of joy, if imaginary. A future where the food chain has been compromised and meat is a luxury few can afford. Mathematical murders. All these things are more are told through this collection of short stories from Jonathan Pinnock.

The travel guide was
Jim
Apr 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a fine collection of short stories and well-balanced. I do have some reservations however. With one or two exceptions there weren’t many stories here that I felt I wanted to reread and relish. They weren’t hard reads—and by that I mean they were so well-written that I slipped seamlessly from one sentence to the next and never once had to reread a paragraph to see if I’d understood him right the first time (with the sole exception of the story written in reverse) although there was a ‘dot ...more
Laura Besley
Feb 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Tracy
Feb 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I raced through this collection of short and flash stories. My first intention was to read a story a day, but once I started I couldn't stop. Wickedly funny at times and yet also written with pathos and humanity. Jonathan Pinnock's imagination must be a wonderful place to live - he would certainly be on my guest list for a dinner party!
Blogbaas Van 'tVliegend Eiland
Oct 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
8/10
Ed Price
Apr 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Really good, full of very short and very very short stories - some are better than others, but every one is worth a read, and the best of them are superb!
Santino Prinzi