Start by marking “A Bride for All Seasons” as Want to Read:
A Bride for All Seasons

A Bride for All Seasons (A Bride for All Seasons)

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  899 Ratings  ·  160 Reviews
This charming bouquet of novellas introduces you to four Hitching Post Mail-Order Bride Catalogue prospects in the year 1870, all eager for second chances...and hungry for happiness. Year in, year out, they'll learn that love often comes in unexpected packages.

“And Then Came Spring” by Margaret Brownley

Mary-Jo has traveled halfway across the world to meet her match, arrivi
Published June 18th 2013 by Thomas Nelson (first published June 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about A Bride for All Seasons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Bride for All Seasons

Robin Hatcher
Feb 23, 2013 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
I am so proud to be part of this collection. The stories are charming and tied together with an unusual hook that I believe readers are going to love. I don't rate my own books, but since I am only 1/4th of this one, I feel I can at least tell others about it. It is a fun read.

Here are what a few others had to say:

"Delightful at every turn, A Bride For All Seasons gives the "mail order bride plot" a creative––and addictive––new twist. I couldn't read fast enough. With spunk, humor, and tenderhea
Aerykah
Oct 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I must say I really, truly enjoyed this novella collection! :)
Shannah Mauney
Sep 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this collection of novellas from some of my favorite authors. Each story was short and sweet, full of romance and faith, and very enjoyable. I loved all of the characters! I only wish they were a little longer! Because of the shortness of the stories, some of the romance could feel a little rushed, but I kept in mind the fact that these were novellas, not full fledged novels and it helped keep my perspective.

Overall, it was a very enjoyable collection of short stories!
Dawn
A mail-order bride catalog whose facilitator of the ads submitted has a tendency of editing the ads admits that his "edited" ads have helped four couples find happiness. But what happens when the couples find out about the "creative editing? Four talented authors combine to write these novellas.

And Then Came Spring - Margaret Brownley - Gambler's daughter, Mary Jo Parker, arrives in town to discover that not only has her fiance died, but that he left behind an 8 year old son that was never menti
Leah
Aug 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
I usually don’t pick up collections of novellas because I don’t like the lack of development throughout the story. But having enjoyed books by a couple of these authors, I knew I couldn’t pass up the chance to read their novellas as well. I was glad I picked this book up because I found four sweet stories about mail-order brides.

Each of these novellas take place in different seasons (hence the “A Bride for All Seasons”). Each of these couples has been placed together through The Hitching Post, a
Stephanie Ziegler
Jun 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have never been a fan of short stories together in one book. That is the only reason to take away a star. I feel that sometimes you cannot connect with the characters. You are just reading a story. I love connecting with characters, like I am a part of the story.

"And Then Came Spring" by Margaret Brownley

In this story, you think the mail-order bride catalogue brings the two main characters together, when it was really Eddie. For a child known to be unruly, he is very smart. Even after the deat
Melanie
Feb 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review-books
Review on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/review/R330HYLW...

I'm typically not a huge fan of novellas, but this collection of four "Mail-Order Bride" novellas was great! The first two, "And Then Came Spring" by Margaret Brownley and "An Ever-After Summer" by Debra Clopton, were very good and had me laughing a lot. "Autumn's Angel" was my least favorite of the four, probably because it felt way too short and rushed (especially towards the end). My favorite was the last one, "Winter Wedding Bells" by
Maureen Timerman
Jul 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013
A Bride For All Seasons is a compilation of four authors. All stories are based on the services of The Hitching Post Mail Order Bride Catalogue and its editor Melvin Hitchcock. Now Melvin had the habit of changing words in his applicants letters, quite often he did a lot of embellishing. The four novels are all based on Melvin's plotting, but maybe God had more of a hand in these couples lives than Melvin??
Can you imagine, arriving and meeting your Fiancé, and learning he is dying, and needs you
Tima
Jul 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Four different brides from four different places and walks in life all answer an ad in the newspaper to become a mail order bride. But the letters must be mailed to the newspaper and then sent on to the prospective groom. And an interfering newspaper editor decides to take love into his own hands and change just a few things. So each bride and groom meet each other with a calamity of misunderstanding and confusion.

When dealing with novellas I take into consideration that the stories are short a
Hannah
This was a very enjoyable novella collection. I didn't enjoy it quite as much as the second novella collection, "Four Weddings and a Kiss", simply because of how exquisite that collection was. (I sure hope these ladies do another set of stories this year!)
I enjoyed all the stories, but the last was my favorite. How spunky Megan took hold with both hands and fought for her husband's heart in more than one sense was endearing and such a picture of true womanhood.
The only thing I'd change was to
Margaret Tidwell
Jun 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review-books
This was a super cute book! I loved that each of the stories were short and it made the book seem to fly by. I also loved how each story was written by a different author. I loved all 4 of the stories and I was sad when each of them ended. I think my favorite one was "Winter Wedding Bells" because I couldn't help but laugh at David and how he was convinced he was going to die. All the stories are super sweet and I can't wait to check out some of the other books the authors have written.
Tamera Alexander
Mar 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Delightful at every turn, A Bride For All Seasons gives the "mail order bride plot" a creative––and addictive––new twist. I couldn't read fast enough. With spunk, humor, and, of course, tenderhearted romance, this anthology is truly made to order!
~Tamera Alexander, USA Today bestselling author of To Whisper Her Name and The Inheritance
Vickie McDonough
Apr 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Four popular authors have penned an engaging novella collection with a creative and humorous premise. From distressing to delightful, A Bride for all Seasons bounces your emotions around like they’ve been on a bumpy 1800s stagecoach ride, with each story arriving at a highly satisfying ending.
Lisa Phillips
Jul 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Not something I would normally go for (contemporary suspense not old west sweet) but still a delightful read that flew by.
very enjoyable.
Elizabeth
A delightful collection of heartwarming stories!
Colletta Miller
Jun 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was a great book to get me out of my reading slump. All the stories within are sweet and interesting. I love mail-order-bride books :)
Kathleen E.
Jul 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Tuesday, July 16, 2013
A Bride for All Seasons ~The Mail-Order Bride Collection~ Brownley*Clopton*Connealy*Hatcher, ©2013

What fun and unexpected happenings all in one place!

There are three sections in the back. For each of the four novellas in this book there is a Reading Group Guide. And... An Interview with the Authors ~ Behind the Scenes with Your Favorite Matchmakers; followed by About the Authors.

Hitching Post Mail-Order Bride Catalogue 1870

The lot is cast into the lap,
But its every decision
Tina
Oct 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
A Bride for all Seasons, The Mail-Order Bride Collection*****

Excerpt from book: “Following the War Between the States, mail-order bride catalogues sprung up like mushrooms, none could claim as many successful marriages as the Hitching Post.” There are many different reasons a single woman or man wrote and advertized for a bride or groom. Each one of these women traveled from the East to the mid-west/West to marry. Generally, these women have no money or family to return to back East if things do
Traci
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the better books I have read.
Rachel
Aug 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! My favorites were An Ever-After Summer by Debra Clopton and Winter Wedding Belle by Mary Connealy. I'm very curious about Mail-Order brides back on then now.
Jalynn Patterson
Jul 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
About the Book:

1800s mail-order bride catalogs facilitated many happy marriages. Here are the stories of four couples who owe their wedded bliss to creative editing by The Hitching Post publisher.

“And Then Came Spring”—Margaret Brownley

Sheriff Tom Garrett wants vengeance on his brother’s murderers, but he must think of his orphaned nephew. Then Mary-Jo shows up, swearing she married Tom’s brother by proxy and he’d neglected to mention a son.

“An Ever-After Summer”—Debra Clopton

Widower Matt McConn
Lisa Johnson
Jul 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Title: A Bride for All Seasons (A Mail-Order Bride Collection)
Author: Margaret Brownley, Debra Clopton, Mary Connealy, Robin Lee Hatcher
Pages: 377
Year: 2013
Publisher: Thomas Nelson
This book is a collection for four novellas by the authors listed above that are easy to read, enjoyable and entertaining. The female characters are strong and sassy, but God-fearing too. The male characters think they know what they want in a woman, but bow to God’s greater wisdom in giving them the women they need.
Brandi
Mar 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A BRIDE FOR ALL SEASONS (A Collection of Novellas)
(*SPOILER ALERT!!!*)
Melvin Hitchcock is such a stinker. Cutting out all the 'flaws' in their letters and ads. He is so annoying! But then again, he's kind of sweet too.

And Then Came Spring - Margaret Brownley
First of all, the whole 'luck' thing was annoying. Mary-Jo was constantly noting things like black cats, spilled salt, stepping on cracks, etc. It was getting on my nerves! I'm very glad she stopped believing in luck in the end.
Mary-Jo was a
Kym McNabney
Jul 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A BRIDE FOR ALL SEASONS: THE MAIL ORDER BRIDE COLLECTION is an anthology of four stories by different authors. I love how each story is connected by the Hitching Post Mail Order Bride, yet stands alone.

AND THEN CAME SPRING, by MARGARET BROWNLEY

Having only read two other books by MARGARET BROWNLEY, I was excited to read AND THEN CAME SPRING. The story began with a strong beginning, drawing me right in, just as MS BROWNLY has done in previous books I’ve read by her.

MARY-JO PARKER crossed many mi
Krystal
Feb 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
A Bride for All Seasons was a delightful collection of four different novellas by four different authors, all set in the 1870s. Each story features a different set of characters and locations, but all of them have one thing in common, they each, for their own separate reasons, have decided to turn to the Hitching Post Mail-Order Bride Catalogue in the hopes of finding their perfect match. The road to true love may not run smooth, but with a little faith, anything is possible.

The collection star
Margaret Chind
When I first found out about A Bride for All Seasons by some of my favorite authors I was excited, but did not know what to expect. What I have found is a book with four stories, each about 100 pages individually. This is great for summer reading, when I want a story maybe a little bit faster than normally, but at the same time, once all four are read, it's the same as reading an average historical book these days.

posted: http://creativemadnessmama.com/blog/2...

“And Then Came Spring”—Margaret B
Kathleen (Kat) Smith
Looking for a great collection of historical romance stories compiled by some best selling authors surrounding mail-order brides? Then look no further than A Bride For All Seasons, the mail-order bride collection by Margaret Brownley, Debra Clopton, Mary Connealy, and Robin Lee Hatcher. Each of these talented authors showcases their own unique spin on the mail-order brides set in the late 1800's with a seasonal flair. All of these stories takes place at different times of the year and responds t ...more
Gina Hott
Apr 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Hitching Post magazine promises to bring together the right matches for catalogue brides. If that means reading between the lines and possibly sending the bride that is the antitheses of the request, then so be it. These marriages will work!

But not without a few bumps…

And Then Came Spring
Mary-Jo Parker arrives prepared to be wed but instead attends her fiancé’s funeral. If that isn’t bad enough, she finds that his wasn’t quite as honest with her as he should have been – he didn’t need a wife
Wendy
Jul 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
And Then Came Spring
by Margaret Brownley
The longer superstitious Mary-Jo Parker waited for Daniel Garrett, the more mad she became. Finally after waiting for two hours she heads for a hotel when she is run into by a young boy, when she helps him up she asks if he knows Daniel Garret. Mary-Jo is shocked when he answers with a yes that's my dad, after all there was no mention of children in the ad posted in the Hitching Post Mail-Order Bride Catalogue. When asked where he is, the boy points across
Jul 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
I’ve always enjoyed reading mail-order bride stories and A Bride for All Seasons was another fun read. It is a collection of four stories in one book. Put together with a marriage broker who makes changes to his clients’ letters to “make them look better”, four prospective grooms and four mail order brides might end up with more than they bargained for.

In And Then Came Spring by Margaret Brownley, Mary-Jo Parker goes by train from her home town in Georgia to meet her intended groom, Daniel Garre
  • Fired Up (Trouble in Texas, #2)
  • Dandelions on the Wind (Quilted Hearts, #1)
  • Safe in His Arms (Under Texas Stars, #2)
  • A Match Made in Texas (Archer Brothers, #4)
  • Love in the Balance (Ladies of Caldwell County, #2)
  • Beloved (Where the Heart Lives, #3)
  • Perfectly Matched (The Blue Willow Brides, #3)
  • The Quarryman's Bride (Land of Shining Water, #2)
  • Sisters of Mercy Flats (Sisters of Mercy Flats #1)
BEST-SELLING AUTHOR MARGARET BROWNLEY has penned nearly forty novels and novellas. Her books have won numerous awards, including Readers' Choice and Award of Excellence. She's a former Romance Writers of American RITA® finalist and has written for a TV soap. She is currently working on a new series. Not bad for someone who flunked eighth grade English. Just don't ask her to diagram a sentence.
More about Margaret Brownley...

A Bride for All Seasons (4 books)
  • And Then Came Spring (A Bride for All Seasons)
  • An Ever After Summer (A Bride for All Seasons)
  • Autumn's Angel (A Bride for All Seasons)
  • Winter Wedding Bells (A Bride for All Seasons)