Start by marking “Jack Templar, Monster Hunter (The Templar Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
Jack Templar, Monster Hunter (The Templar Chronicles, #1)

Jack Templar, Monster Hunter

(The Templar Chronicles #1)

Orphan Jack Templar has no memory of his parents and only the smallest details from his Aunt Sophie about how they died. The day before Jack's fourteenth birthday, things start to change for him. At first it's great: A sudden new strength helps him defend his nose-picking friend "T-Rex" from the school bully, and even his crush, Cindy Adams, takes notice. But then a myster ...more
Published October 17th 2012 by Seven Guns Press (first published October 10th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Jack Templar, Monster Hunter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jack Templar, Monster Hunter

Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
**3.5 stars**

It has been a while since I have read a true middle grade book. I read lots of children's books and young adult books but a book aimed for middle school kids? Not for a long long time. I'm just going to start by saying that I'm not the target audience for this book. This book is clearly aimed for early teen boys. Will 11 and 12 year old boys love this book? I really think so.

This book is excitement through and through. There is blood and guts and beheading (pretty grues
Joy (joyous reads)
Jan 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-review
Jack Smith is about to hit the ripe age of fourteen; the age when he starts noticing (more than usual, anyway) the cutest girl in the class and stops saying, ‘ewww girls has cooties’ and such. It’s that age when he notices some physical changes on his body, least of all the changes in his voice signaling the onset of puberty. But Jack Smith is about to hit serious freak stature when, in a span of a day, he realizes he can bench press 90 lbs, run like an Olympian and block punches from a meaty bu ...more
Jamie
Jun 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Quite the introduction to a new series. I can saw up front that this series is very engaging and entertaining. The book has me amused from the very beginning with Jack's warning to all readers. So you easily feel like a part of the story.

Jack is your everyday teen. One day away from his 14th birthday and his whole life is about to go from ordinary to anything but. He meets some strange individuals and it attacked my a monster! Soon he hinds out he is wanted by the monsters (more offi
Renee
Jan 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
My daughter and I read and reviewed this book for Mother Daughter Book Reviews. Here's what we have to say about it:

DAUGHTER SAYS:

This story is about a boy named Jack Templar who, when he turns 14, turns into a Monster Hunter. Then a bunch of changes start happening in his life. He has to kill all the monsters especially the vampire named Ren Lucray. I wish the cover showed more people other than Jack so I could see what they look like. When I first saw the cover, it looked like Jack was a/>DAUGHTER
Katy
Jan 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those seeking boy-oriented MG/YA fiction/urban fantasy
Recommended to Katy by: NetGalley
Book Info: Genre: Urban Fantasy
Reading Level: Middle Grade (12 and up)
Recommended for: People who have been looking for a boy-friendly MG to YA urban fantasy, people who like MG to YA urban fantasy
Trigger Warnings: violence, fighting, betrayal

My Thoughts: I had noticed this book a number of times, and been waffling on it, until I read Kriss Morton’s excellent review and feature. That decided me and I finally decided to go ahead and accept this book for review.

Ever have one of those days? Yeah, so have I. This story covers that day with Jac/>My/>Trigger/>Recommended/>Reading
Sher A. Hart
Feb 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-reviews
Jack Templar was a fun and fast read, a page turner the whole way. It started with a warning and the main character often talked to the audience in Percy Jackson style. The formula certainly works for the target audience, middle grade boys, and I'm sure some younger ones will love it too. I'm pretty sure young girls will like the book almost as much as boys because I once was one--young that is. I'm still female, thanks.

I think I've gone soft. What I liked best was the humor. I alway
Mike (the Paladin)
Sep 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, youth, ya-fantasy
Look I gave this a 4 star rating but there are some major things I've got to say here. I spent a great deal of time shoving down my annoyance at the writing and the characters.

So remember, this does get a 4 star rating.

First, this is a kid's book. To say YA may give a false idea of it. The tone, the writing all of it is just so...young and elementary. The "hero" Jack is supposed to be just turning 14 but he sounds much younger at times.

Now I have tried to push
Dianne
Jan 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: teachers, boys, children, YA-anyone!
Jack is in for the shock of his life! He goes from a normal boy to a super hero on his fourteenth birthday! Not only is he expected to save the world from evil, he may very well be the last of his kind! Pretty heavy stuff for an orphaned boy who lived with is loving aunt!

Jack and his friends are priceless! They act and react like the kids they are! They talk about things kids talk about, deal with things kids deal with in school!

Jack did not start out a hero. He wasn't in
Jeff Gunhus
Nov 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Thanks for the interest in the book giveaway for Jack Templar Monster Hunter. Check out the new book trailer using the link below. Jeff Gunhus
Kate
 CCAM&GZM
Jan 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
First of all I must say that I’m awesome. No, is not me who says this (is not like I’m bragging), it’s Jack: „you’re a girl awesome enough to be reading this book”. Now, let's get to work.

“You only know the very surface of our world”

If you liked knight stories that crossed through history and that have heated our imagination with their adventures and struggles against the most terrible fantastic or human enemies and eventually break through despite all the odds that seem
Nickie
Dec 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Jack is a pretty normal almost-fourteen year old. He lives with his Aunt Sophie, spends his day in boredom at school, and hangs out with his friends, Will and T-Rex. But as his fourteenth birthday draws nearer, Jack starts noticing some changes.

He's gotten stronger. A LOT stronger. And faster, too. He chalks it to finally hitting a growth spurt and the extra hours he's been putting in to working out.

Then there's the way his principal stares at him. She was always a little creepy bef
Gayle Pace
Nov 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book was written for middle aged children by Jeffrey Gunhus. I'm not a middle aged child but perhaps the book brings out the child in you SO read it and be a child for a while.

The beginning is with an orphan, Jack Smith. He lives in the little town of Sunnyvale with his Aunt Sophie. Supposedly his parents died when he was an infant. He knows nothing of his past.

As with all of us, when we get to be a teen our whole world seems to change. Everything you think is one wa
Michelle
Dec 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: blog-tour-review
Jack Templar Monster Hunter was such a great read. It's fun for adults and kids a like. After about the 3rd Chapter I downloaded it on my 11 year old sons Kindle and we started reading it together. "MOM this is the best monster book EVER" were his exact words. There was just enough monster action to keep me turning the pages and not too much blood and gore that a he would get scared. This is a great story for anyone. It was written so well. From the introduction of the first monster to the last ...more
Kim Justice
Dec 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: reviewed
My honest thoughts and opinions on this wonderful, mysterious, fantasy and a book that I would give to any one of my grandchildren to read, is a guaranteed book and author that I would recommend to all who love some amazing fantasy in their lives.

Okay with that being said, you can understand that this was an amazing book for me. I really loved the characters and the story line is so well written that it flows so well from the start to the finish.

To say that I enjoyed this book is an understate
Kathie
Nov 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
“Jack Templar Monster Hunter” by Jeff Gunhus keeps the reader on the edge of the chair for the whole story. Never has any thirteen-year-old had a fourteenth birthday to rival the amazing circumstances Jack and his friends find themselves embroiled in.

Mild mannered and almost geeky Jack Smith, awakens one morning to find changes happening to his thirteen-year-old body that he can’t explain. But these changes are not the ordinary signs of growing up - they are much more baffling and, f
Beverley Davenport
Dec 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
I have recently read the book Jack Templar Monster Hunter. I found it very enjoyable and thank you for letting me read this interesting book. Here is my review.
Jack Templar Monster Hunter is a thrilling, action-packed book about a young boy who is suddenly thrown into an unknown world of danger and monsters on his fourteenth birthday. As he learns dark secrets and discovers his past and future readers will be swept away in a whirlwind of intrigue, action and fun. This book is a wonderful
Donna
Apr 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love having fun while I read a book. I laughed out loud at Jack's warnings during the first few pages of the book and was intrigued enough to keep reading. I'm glad I did. This is an amazing story. Jack is a great character, I mean, monster hunter.

This story is well written. Not too scary for young children. A bit of fantasy/horror mixed together. The characters are well developed. The story fast paced and interesting.

I started reading the warnings aloud to my 12 year old son. He
Becca
Oct 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Jack has lived with his Aunt Sophie most of his life. He thinks that the world is wonderful. When he wakes up the day before his 14th birthday, everyone and every thing seems to be acting different. His body is changing. He is all of the sudden much stronger.

Jacks adventure begins right off the bat. He runs into a stranger on the street, who is dressed in a cloak with weird teeth, and he thinks he is just dreaming up these weird happenings.

I love how this book is told in
Nov 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Jack Templar thinks his name is Jack Smith. He thinks he is a normal teenager about to celebrate his fourteenth birthday. But, he is wrong about everything. He really doesn't know as much about himself as he thought. His birthday brings him face to face with who he truly is and what he must do with the rest of his life, that he is a monster hunter, and is actually from a long line of monster hunters. He doesn't have a whole lot of time to prepare for this new identity that has been thrust upon h ...more
Freda Mans-Labianca
Jan 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Right away the author grabs your attention. It's the best beginning I have ever read. Gosh, I laughed. Thankfully, it's not true though, but you would have to read the book to get that statement.
I would agree kids ages 10 and up would be appropriate for this book. Kids younger will be scared silly, heck, maybe the older ones will be too, but then again, that is part of the fun in the story.
Great writing, very clever, an exciting story, and wonderful characters make up this book.
Bill Tillman
Wad up? Just finished this review now it shows no review. Ok, this is one great little MG book! Hooks you from the first page and does not let up. Jack will turn 14 tomorrow, but not before one of the wildest rides of YA fiction. Every page jumps out at you with another surprise, well every other page is more like it. It will be a very hard to put down book. Enjoy.

Ok pretty good first book, rough in a few places but overall I liked it. This is worth reading for any MGer, YA or YA Fan
C. Lorion
Mar 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow. Loved this first installment in the Jack Templar Chronicles. It's fast-paced, geared toward middle-school age, I'm 49 (a bit beyond the middle-school years), and I loved it. Ordering the second installment today. I will definitely have my 9 year-old son read this, after he finishes the Percy Jackson series. I think he'll love it too.
Eve
Feb 26, 2015 rated it liked it
2.5 stars.

I'm seeing that most of the people who read this enjoyed it, but it was not so in my case. I'm a fan of middle-grade reads; I think they're fun, full of excitement and adventure, and even though Jack Templar, Monster Hunter did include that, it was missing the thing that usually draws me into books.
Chris Heerdegen
Jan 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Good action, great hooks! If Jersey Shore was good enough for a second season, then certainly we deserve an anthology of Jack Templar books.
Jackson
Nov 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I really like this book even though the author is my dad. I think it is a great book with the right amount of humor and action.
Herobrine
Nov 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
pretty good, can't wait 4 the sequl.
Janice
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-lit, kindle
Beverley
Feb 26, 2018 rated it liked it
I received a free copy from NetGalley. Reads like the first in a series, which it is. Leaves you wanting more. Very quick read and doesn't seem to assume you know what all the monsters are, so it is a great book for someone new to this style of writing. I'm just thankful my kid didn't turn 14 the way Jack did.
Carol Quave
It's a good book and I think it will help people who don't like to read, read more.

It's a good book and I think it will help people who don't like to read, read more alften then before.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Free ebook 1 9 Dec 19, 2012 05:54PM
Author Talk: Jack Templar Monster Hunter 1 5 Nov 12, 2012 07:03PM

• Spell Fire
  • Escucha Means Listen
  • Red Madrassa (Algardis, #1)
  • Matt Archer: Monster Hunter (Matt Archer #1)
  • The Puppet Spell
  • A Hard Act to Follow
  • Talisman Of El (T.O.E. Trilogy #1)
  • The Newstead Project
  • Escape From The Forbidden Planet
  • Club Nexus (Ivy Granger, #2.5)
  • Alexander Drake's Extraordinary Pursuit (Azra's Pith, Book 1)
  • Shifter School: A Wyrdos Universe Novel
  • Pretending You Are Mine (Patriots' Saga)
  • Blue Hearts of Mars
  • Instinct
  • Trolling for Trouble (MAUCs, #1)
  • Strange Places (Finding Tayna, #1)
  • January Black
Jeff Gunhus is the USA TODAY bestselling author of thriller and horror novels for adults and the middle grade/YA series, The Templar Chronicles. The first book, Jack Templar Monster Hunter, was written in an effort to get his reluctant reader eleven-year old son excited about reading. It worked and a new series was born. His books are available in several languages, been Foreword Reviews Book of t ...more

The Templar Chronicles (6 books)
  • Jack Templar and the Monster Hunter Academy (The Templar Chronicles #2)
  • Jack Templar and the Lord of the Vampires (The Templar Chronicles, #3)
  • Jack Templar And The Lord Of The Werewolves (The Templar Chronicles, #4)
  • Jack Templar And The Lord Of The Demons (The Templar Chronicles, #5)
  • Jack Templar and the Last Battle (The Templar Chronicles, #6)