Start by marking “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (Hogwarts Library)” as Want to Read:
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (Hogwarts Library)

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

(Hogwarts Library)

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  320,090 ratings  ·  10,300 reviews
A brand new edition of this essential companion to the Harry Potter stories, with a new foreword from J.K. Rowling (writing as Newt Scamander), and 6 new beasts!

A set textbook at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry since publication, Newt Scamander’s masterpiece has entertained wizarding families through the generations. Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them is an
Hardcover, Hogwarts Library edition, 123 pages
Published November 8th 2012 by Bloomsbury (first published March 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, please sign up.
Hermione Granger My favorite Part was the notes my Ron and Harry, thought I think Ron was rude by writing on Harry's book. I added my personal opinion. I personally th…moreMy favorite Part was the notes my Ron and Harry, thought I think Ron was rude by writing on Harry's book. I added my personal opinion. I personally think you should read it if you want to know more about the creatures in our magical communtity. (less)

·  320,090 ratings  ·  10,300 reviews

Start your review of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (Hogwarts Library)
Miranda Reads
This is INSANE. I love it.

Seriously, this is in the top 5 audiobooks I've ever listened to.

Why?

First of all, it's read by Eddie Redmayne who played Newt Scamander in the movie.

He read the more recent version (Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them: The Illustrated Edition) so it really felt like "the author" was reading us a copy of his personal book - simply fabulous!

(Aside: could you imagine getting Emma, Rupert and Daniel to read their parts from the original? That would be just too aweso
Miranda Reads
* Cue the inhuman shrieks of joy *

As a longtime fan, I am just reveling in this latest illustrating the HP books trend. Especially considering J.K.'s original bestiary gave scant descriptions of (some) wholly unknown and many extremely quirky creatures. Literally, over the moon.

In the new edition, Newt Scamander's forward is quick to mention that all proceeds go to comic relief - a truly admirable Muggle charity. In addition:
I was permitted to reissue the book only on that a disclaim
Aj the Ravenous Reader
Mar 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Aj the Ravenous Reader by: Trixi #WATERFLAME
Shelves: lol, classic, fantasy
As a proper witch (muggle born), I was required to have a copy of this book as Professor Dumbledore declared in the foreword that “no wizarding household is complete without a copy of this book.” So I wasted no time and got myself a copy at Flourish and Botts!

My very own duplicate of Harry Potter’s copy and I enjoyed it a lot especially Professor Dumbledore’s foreword! You only have to read a part of his foreword to be convinced to read the book. But what I enjoyed even more were Ron’s, Harr
Alejandro
Merlin's beard!!!

Important: This is the original reference book, published by JK Rowling and not the 2016's novelization of the movie with the same title.

GOTTA CATCH 'EM ALL!

This reference book about the magical beasts in the world of Harry Potter is truly fantastic!

While I have no doubt that the decision of doing movie adaptations about this reference book is basically to keep "milking" the magic cows of the Harry Potter's saga, now that I finally read the reference book, I have to admi
Raeleen Lemay
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I gave the original Fantastic Beasts book 3.5 stars, but this illustrated edition is SO FREAKING GORGEOUS it deserves nothing less than 5 stars. MY GOD.
Ahmad Sharabiani
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (Hogwarts Library), Newt Scamander, J.K. Rowling
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them is a 2001 book written by British author J. K. Rowling (under the pen name of the fictitious author Newt Scamander) about the magical creatures in the Harry Potter universe. The original version purports to be Harry Potter's copy of the textbook of the same name mentioned in Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (or Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone in the US), t
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
(3.5?) I really loved the intro but I was disappointed that there was no picture of each beast.
Still, it's always nice to go back in that universe!
Sean Barrs
Aug 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-star-reads, fantasy
J.K Rowling is a clever witch. She conjured up a beautifully imaginative world when she wrote the Harry Potter series, and she only cements it here.

I love the fact that we actually get to read a physical book that appears in her universe, as if we were students at Hogwarts school of Witchcraft and Wizardry. It’s a great idea and I think only add depth to her story. It also shows how early on she was thinking about Fantastic Beats (the movie) and reading this adds a little more to that brilliant
Kai
Apr 02, 2015 added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Trans Lives Matter @JKR

Mermaids UK

The Trevor Project

Black Visions Collective because Black trans lives matter.
Mohammed Arabey
Oct 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How can we say it is A Good Fiction?

For me one of the elements that make me fall in love easily into a fiction book is how realistic it can be.
ofcourse not the"non-fiction" realistic, but real enough that makes the world very fantasy and at the same time acceptable to imagine it easily.
description
I don't know how to explain but just look at that world J.K.Rowling "AKA:The Queen of United Magic Kingdom" creates..Wizard and Witches lives deep in London, across the UK and even all over the world.
They got
Tessa
Sep 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: faeries, magic, werewolves
“Warner Bros. announced on 12th September 2013 that J.K. Rowling would be making her screenwriting debut with ‘Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them’, the first in a new film series which is part of their expanded creative partnership with J.K. Rowling. The films will be inspired by Harry Potter’s Hogwarts textbook of the same name, and will feature the book’s fictitious author, Newt Scamander.”
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BACK TO WITCHES AND WIZARDS AND MAGICAL BEASTS
TO GOBLINS AND GHOSTS AND MAGICAL FEASTS
IT’S ALL T
Anne
Jan 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: magic
Did you watch the trailer of the movie adaptation of this book and think, like me, that the book is about a bunch of magical creatures escaping into the world and wreaking havoc, threatening the balance between magical and non-magical relations? Did you imagine action and chaos?

"The adventures of writer Newt Scamander in New York's secret community of witches and wizards seventy years before Harry Potter reads his book in school."

I swear, that's what I thought I was going to be reading about. I
Pooja
Mar 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owns
draco dormiens nunquam titillandus - Never tickle a sleeping dragon.

I had always been fond of the books I gift to Archit and I'm glad that this book falls under that "a la carte."

I'd had never got to read a physical copy of Fantastic Beasts, had it not been for him who dragged me into these kind of activities.

This book, for me, is more about the amusement my husband had when he was opening the gift wrapper and how it turned into surprised look on his face -to the state of speechlessness- to th
Hannah
Jan 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really wish she would publish a spell book
Bradley
Dec 01, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 2016-shelf
I guess I expected something a little more.

I mean, there's a whole movie out there now that I still need to watch, but this, aside from a few humorous anecdotes, is just a short encyclopedia!

Not that it didn't have it's moments, of course, particularly how some wizards use ghouls as pets and talking points at parties, or Ron's funny scribbled interjections in the text, but on the whole it was just a what's-what breakdown of the magical creatures seen through the movies.

I give it a three for she
Liza
Apr 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I find it amazing how J.K. Rowling came up with all of these amazing creatures, not only what they look like, but what they do, their classifications, and the amazing introduction about what classifies a beast; as well as doing research to back up her qualities of these creatures. This was phenomenal, and as I said before about Quidditch Through The Ages, this book deserves all the stars simply because of all the wondrous effort and love that was put into it. Please read these little extra Harry ...more
Sandee
Dec 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reading this is like being a Hogwarts student yourself. I know I'm too old to get a letter from an owl, but whatevs... I'm still waiting for my Hogwarts letter.
Shruti
Nov 24, 2012 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
GUYS IT'S TRUE THERE IS A NEW POTTERVERSE MOVIE ON FANTASTIC BEASTS AND JKR IS SCREENWRITING

OH MY ROWLING

Liz* Fashionably Late
For just a few hours, you can pretend to be a Hogwarts student and trust me, it's the best feeling in the world!

PS: Dungbombs rule.
Mohammed Arabey
Dec 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I mean, what's better read after reading Prisoner of Azkaban?

PS: so far the Art much lower than what I expected 😢.... No offence to the current illustrator, but why not Jim Kay? Who's doing a very good work at Potter series?
Vanessa J.
What happens when you see: 3 stars review + J.K. Rowling + Harry Potter world?

But see, the thing is, no matter how funny the handwritten notes in the book were, no matter how much I giggled at them and the introduction and every time they mentioned the word "Muggle", the content of the book itself was... boring.

Hey! Don't make those faces at me! I'll explain: The thing is, I'm not entertained by reading tye descriptions of the 75 so far known species of fantastic beasts. Sure, they're interestin
Shaina
Oh, the hogwartiness and yet the outside of all that, that Newt brings to this is a breath of fresh magic! I loved seeing and hearing about the animals and his passion for them. He's like a small Hagrid. I love that. I know my husband's gonna love this bc he's like a tall, skinnier Hagrid too. I loved the rating system, so you knew what to expect. I wanted to read this book, not the scripted, nor see the film- first. I wanted this to be my first experience with this branch of HP or the Wizarding ...more
Alex ☣ Deranged KittyCat ☣
description

Well, one thing is for sure. Hogwarts is my dream school. Everything magic-related is my thing. And this book would have been a treat to study (dragons are far more fascinating than bacteria).

On the other hand, if I had to learn all this stuff, I'm sure I would have not liked it that much anymore. :D Because having to never worked for me in school. I tended to hate everything that was mandatory.

Anyway, this is a fun little read that will take you back to the wizarding world of Harry Potter.
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Listened to the incredible audiobook narrated by Eddie Redmayne (AKA Newt Scamander AKA my husband) while also flipping through the stunning illustrated edition and WHAT A TIME. I absolutely adored it.

Also can i plz have a pet Romanian Longhorn dragon & a pet kneazle plz and thank u.
Lyn
Jan 19, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Too much fun!

I took my children to see the Harry Potter films when they were little and so I’m familiar with J.K. Rowling’s fantastic world building. TBT why I enjoyed this was it reminded me of reading the Monster Manual in my Dungeon’s and Dragons days, although this is made better because of Rowling’s pithy and charismatic prose.

Told from the perspective of Magizoologist Newt Scamander, this is a Hogwarts textbook that catalogues and describes fantastic beasts. There is a novelization of the
Angela
Nov 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this awhile back. No idea why I didn't mark it. Love anything jkr
Gerasimos Reads
Aug 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Harry Potter changed my life. If I hadn’t read Harry Potter when I did I would not be the same person today. What I am today, in a part is due to Harry. I cannot really say enough to make you understand how much Harry Potter means to me.
Mariah Roze
Aug 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I originally picked up this book thinking it was the screen play for the movie Fantastic Beasts, but was surprised to find it a "textbook." However, I really enjoyed the book. I loved reading about beasts that I recognized in the movie and in the Harry Potter series.

This was a book that Harry used for one of his classes.
Meags
Nov 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, magic
4 Stars

Newt Scamander’s encyclopaedia of magical creatures was a fun and fascinating little read.

Rowling’s imagination never ceases to amaze me. I doubt I’ll ever tire of reading stories set in the brilliance of the Potterverse - seriously, keep ‘em coming!

I highly recommend the audio edition of this story which was narrated by the talented Eddie Redmayne.
Kassidy
This was a fun and fantastical listen. I enjoyed escaping back into the world of Harry Potter for a little while.

• Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Harry Potter, #5, Part 1)
  • Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them: The Original Screenplay (Fantastic Beasts: The Original Screenplay, #1)
  • The Case of Beasts: Explore the Film Wizardry of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
  • Harry Potter And The Order Of The Phoenix (Piano Solos)
  • Harry Potter and the Cursed Child: Parts One and Two (Harry Potter, #8)
  • The Magical Worlds of Harry Potter: A Treasury of Myths, Legends, and Fascinating Facts
  • Short Stories from Hogwarts of Heroism, Hardship and Dangerous Hobbies (Pottermore Presents, #1)
  • Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Harry Potter, #6)
  • Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Harry Potter, #4)
  • Hogwarts: An Incomplete and Unreliable Guide (Pottermore Presents, #3)
  • Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Harry Potter, #5)
  • Selections from Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix: Piano Solos
  • Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Harry Potter, #3)
  • Fantastic Beasts - The Crimes of Grindelwald: The Original Screenplay
  • Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets: Sheet Music for Flute with C.D
  • Short Stories from Hogwarts of Power, Politics and Pesky Poltergeists (Pottermore Presents, #2)
  • Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1)
  • Harry Potter Page to Screen: The Complete Filmmaking Journey
Pen name used by J.K. Rowling ...more

Hogwarts Library (3 books)
  • Quidditch Through the Ages (Hogwarts Library)
  • The Tales of Beedle the Bard (Hogwarts Library)

Articles featuring this book

With the holidays fast approaching and the end of the year just on the horizon, you might be wondering if you'll complete your 2018 Go...
“Harry: This book belongs to Harry Potter.
Ron: Shared by Ron Weasley, because his fell apart.
Hermione: Why don't you buy a new one then?
Ron: Write on your own book, Hermione.
Hermione: You bought all those dungbombs on Saturday. You could have bought a new book instead.
Ron: Dungbombs rule.”