Start by marking “Marking Time” as Want to Read:
Marking Time

Marking Time

Official Description: ". . . a faggot? A queer? A sissy? About a dozen more words meandered through my brain, every word I’d ever heard from my friends, from adults, from TV. Was that who I was now? Were those words me now?"

While most gay men grow up living in the closet until they are brave enough to step out and be themselves, Adam Shepherd experiences the opposite. Afte
Published May 20th 2012 by M/M Romance Group @ Goodreads

To ask other readers questions about Marking Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Marking Time

Arthur
Nov 02, 2012 rated it liked it

A nice piece on DADT, but didn't really work for me. The early part, where they were shown as teenagers and then young adults, are quite okay. But then, I just couldn't see and feel Adam as a US Marine. He's too whinny, more like a damsel in distress.

This book puts every problem with Adam/Chase on DADT, which I don't think is the case. At least, Adam should be able to mitigate it.(view spoiler)
Tami
Mar 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
3,5 stars.
I liked this book and Adam, the protag's voice. Unfortunately the romance part didn't really work for me. The "love interest" Chase was too formulaic, too good to be true, too saintly to be interesting.
The part about growing up, coming out, the family and so on, that was really good.
Ami
2.75 stars rounded up

The pace felt uneven and the novella seemed more like Adam's story rather than Adam and Chase's; and while I liked the early part with Adam realizing his sexuality for the first time, as well as the talk with his Dad, but I wasn't happy with him later on.

(view spoiler)
Monika

***2.5 Stars

This story had so much promise. There were parts I really liked and other parts not so much. Too many chunks of the story felt like the author was doing more telling than showing and those parts had me speed reading through them.

I did love the characters and the premise is excellent, maybe a little more editing to smooth out the story would have helped.

Overall not a bad read.
Josephine (biblioseph)
This one was surprisingly not bad, so here's a gif review for your pleasure.

So, there's this boy who awkwardly realizes he's gay and everyone is super supportive.

photo tumblr_mcuiiknvJE1rqihpz.gif

(How does he realize he's gay? By crushing SUPER hard on his brother's best friend.

photo f1f1234e.gif)

So, cool, right? No. Because he decides to enroll in the military.

photo tumblr_lq4capBpT61r1gmn2o2_500.gif

Except its not, and there's drama and stress.

photo tumblr_lwmsfmi4Ie1r0sat4o1_400.gif

So right, the old crush, Chase shows up.

photo tumblr_m8078ppd8h1r7k6sa.gif

Which goes on for dozens of pages until:

photo YouTube-QueerAsFolk-BrianJustinPromDanceScene_3.gif

But of course:

photo tumblr_m723oc4q2z1qelb7ro1_500.gif

photo 1bb1d717.gif

photo tumblr_mbl44jXi5z1ri8wt6o3_250.gif

But there is a happy ending. Eventually.
Melanie~~
Damn! I loved this story as much as I loved the picture that inspired it. I thought Adam's "voice" was true and strong. How different is it that the partner who has to force the couple to hide is the one to vent righteous indignation and anger.

I will be giving this story my vote on the listopia and I will be looking for more stories by CJ Anthony.
Nov 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Awesome. I really liked this. Only about half of the story was a romance (the last half). It took a lot of building up to get to that point but the characters were interesting and I didn't mi d too much. I don't usually like military stories but this one was really good.
V
Mar 31, 2013 rated it really liked it

Free.. It was quite good, better than many I have purchased.
However, Chase needed to grow some balls badly.
Karlijn
Jul 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was a nice read. The building up was beautiful, not every love is easy and sometimes it takes time to come to each other. But that doesn't mean there is no love.

⚣Michaelle⚣
4.2 Stars

Okay, so that prompt image is probably one of my top 5 favorite pictures of all time...which means this story had a lot to live up to.

And for the most part, it did just that. I only wish the format lent itself to more showing and less telling because while I liked the flashbacks and appreciated how things were seen from the MC's POV, I wanted to watch it unfold. Not just be informed about it happening. *sigh* A typical lament, I know...

Still, way worth reading. I hope the real life hero
Marsha
Sep 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
I was utterly swept up in this story of closeted homosexuality and the eternal struggle to fit in while negotiating an atmosphere of hostility and hatred. The writer is adept at making Adam’s decision to be a Marine credible and heartfelt.

This book delves into recent history, expounding on the “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” policy that wreaked havoc in the lives of so many gay men and women who served for their country and shows what a particular strain it put on Adam when he chose to become a Marine.
Jillian
Jan 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: glbt, short-stories
This was a really good and enjoyable read.
It's written from Adam's - the main character - P.O.V, and as the reader, you really get to see and understand internal conflicts that Adam has with himself throughout the story.
I really felt that the struggle of realizing one's sexuality, the pains of a first love and all that other quintessential turmoil is quite realistic in it's portrayal.
One of the things I found most enjoyable of "Marking Time" was Adam's naiveté in regards to burying his homose
Bettye Kanady
Nov 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Bettye by: m/m romance discussion group
This story was fun to read. There weren't any really dramatic angsty parts...except in Adam's mind only. He gave himself the most grief. Adam was loved by his family; he wasn't subjected to ridicule from those that were sworn to be there for him. I admired his father so much for being the one to show him that things would be okay. I also was impressed that he went into the Marines. So not an easy life choice to make, but he did and was able to be proud of all his choices. To have fallen in love ...more
Cheryl
Jun 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a fun read and I really enjoyed it. The story starts off when the MC's are young boys and it's nice to see them grow, head off into the world, discover who they are and ultimately work out what (or who) it is that they really want. There is the serious element of DADT that must have been detrimental to so many people in the forces, causing them to chose between their career and their loved ones. I'm glad to say that there is a happy ending for these guys but they have their fair share o ...more
GlamLawyer
Oct 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m-military
I loved that story. It's a story about Adam's life. It starts when he is 9 and meets Chase, the boy who would later be his one love. Chase is the guy Adam has a huge crush on when he is 13. They lose each other over the years but their connection stays. Their later relationship ends because if DADT and Adam's constant fear. It broke my heart how difficult it was for them. I also loved the ending which made me sigh in happiness :) The right mix of angst and romance for me.
Dutchgirl
Oct 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really liked this story. I loved both Adam and Chase, I loved the fact that we get to see the life of Adam from a 9 year old boy to the man he becomes. I wouldnt mind if the author would write a sequel to this story so we can see how life is going to be for Adam and Chase.

I highly recommend this story
Green Reviews
Oct 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
This was short and sweet. I enjoyed watching the reversal of the characters' stance on being out, and how it evolved and changed through the course of the story.
The writing and pacing were both good, and I look forward to reading more by this author.
Alexandra
Oct 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A lovely, engaging story about the simplest and most complicated thing: being honest and falling in love. CJ Anthony hits with some hardcore emotional punches in this one, and while each hit hurts and stings, it all comes down to something good and worth keeping in the end.
Michaela
Apr 18, 2013 rated it liked it
Not bad for a free read.
Phramaha C.
Apr 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
OMG!!! Love this book so much, and l will become a big fan of her.
Sierra
Mar 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Excellent story about the stress of Don't Ask Don't Tell. Emotionally powerful, sexy story. I've reread it several times.
Anthony Flippin
Oct 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. I hope Chase and Adam stayed together and I would love to have a sequel
Tailtiu
Nov 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: free
Here is the Smashwords Link for the free story.
Katy Beth Mckee
A great story that shows the power of love and how wonderful DADT has gotten repealed. it is a win for everyone.
Nick Boston
Apr 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Excellent for a free book. I read it in a few hours before I went to work one day. Many parts of it are quite heartbreaking.
Andrea
Apr 13, 2014 rated it liked it
Liked it, didn't love it
D
Nov 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebook
This was a very sweet romance and a bit of tearjerker. I look forward to reading more from this author.
Alex
May 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dritc_2012_liaw
3.5* for the plot. It gets quite deliciously heart-wrenching near the end.
Ricardo
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
Gavin Stephenson-Jackman
Apr 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A great story of the difficulty of being gay in the time of DADT. Chase and Anthony meet at a young age existing as friends as Anthony comes to know who he is and deal with it. Chase is older but in hiding for his dreams of professional sport. Anthony finds himself drifting at college and goes back in the closet to become a marine. Finding a way to be together, to be honest strains both men. Time works in their favour, allowing love to win.

• Whistle Blowing
  • Kiss and Makeup
  • In Over His Head
  • In All Your Ways
  • Goodbye Phillip
  • Beyond Duty (Beyond Duty, #0.5)
  • An Oral Fixation
  • Telling Jase
  • Close Encounters
  • In Dreams
C. J. Anthony grew up watching soap operas and reading piles of books. She attributes her love of reading and romance to her mother who not only taught her to read but also made countless trips to the library lugging those piles of books home for her to read. It wasn’t a far jump to start writing her own stories, early childhood tales about flower families and travelling to the moon with her best ...more