Start by marking “Almost Gone” as Want to Read:
Almost Gone

Almost Gone

Brian Sousa's debut collection of interlocking stories depicts the Portuguese immigrant experience from a new perspective; alternately gritty, suspenseful, and illuminating.

Brian Sousa leaves sentiment and saudade behind in Almost Gone, a linked collection spanning four generations of a Portuguese immigrant family. In this hardscrabble world, the youth struggle with the se
192 pages
Published 2013 by Tagus Press with University Press of New England

To ask other readers questions about Almost Gone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Almost Gone

Start your review of Almost Gone
Jane
Jul 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These linked stories, about three generations of a Portuguese-American family (although "family" is a kind of cozy word, and this book is not that), digs into and also disorients you. If I plotted out the stories on a timeline, they would start with Nuno and Helena in Portugal; then go to the two of them and the next generation, their son Paulo and his wife Claire in coastal Rhode Island; and finally all of them and Paulo and Claire's son Scott, with wife Hailey and daughter Emily, also in Rhode ...more
Steve
Oct 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: stories, novels
Full disclosure, he's a friend and I was asked to blurb this, but it's a very good book of linked stories. Here's my blurb:

The deceptively straightforward stories of Almost Gone sneak up to unfold in every direction, across distance and generations, as in raw-edged, pared-down lyricism Brian Sousa reveals a humming web of tragedy and wonder staked across the sprawling networks of modern life. In his resonant overlapping of characters losing and finding themselves he works magic, revealing those
KJ
Mar 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was only 2 pages in when I almost missed my bus stop on the way to work. 'Almost Gone' continued to demand my attention throughout it's entirety and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a thoughtfully woven set of brilliant stories. Each story has a very unique air about it, almost as if you are in the presence of each of his characters' energy. I absolutely look forward to reading more work by Brian Sousa.
S.
Feb 11, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I couldn’t bring myself to read this book till the very end. I didn’t sympathize with any of the characters and I didn’t find the plot very appealing. This isn’t the kind of book that I was expecting. It really wasn’t for me.
However, I think that the concept of writing a narrative through various short stories is a very fine idea. Too bad I couldn’t bring myself to finish the book.
April
I received a copy of this book free through Goodreads first Reads.

I work at a Senior/Youth center and donate all print books I win in giveaways to the library.

I hope I get a chance to check this one out in the near future!!!

I can say it must be a really good read because it has been checked out since I added it to the library shelves!!
Alice Bola
I jumped at the opportunity to read this novel. This is the first time I am reading anything by a fellow Portuguese American and I looked forward to reading a work of fiction by someone who shares my heritage. I was optimistic especially since this novel promised to encompass the feeling of being an immigrant, of living in two very different worlds.

Because of my optimism, it pains me to say this. Honestly, I’m on the fence about this novel. I really liked Mr. Sousa’s writing style. He is gifted
Sue
May 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting book. If, like me, you prefer your stories to be told in chronological order, you’ll find this “novel in stories” frustrating. We move not only among various characters’ points of view but shift erratically in time between 1941 and 2010 and in place among Brazil, Spain, Portugal and the United States. In the end, it all makes sense, but the reader has to work to keep up. This is not a feel-good book. It gets a little dark and violent. That said, the characters are wonderfully portray ...more
Kim
May 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Raw and bittersweet. These short stories tell life like it is. It was fun to piece together the characters and how they are related.
Melissa
Nov 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing way of weaving together stories of different people, places and times. Honest writing about the struggles of relationships.
Petty Lisbon

• Ravenous: A Food Lover's Journey from Obsession to Freedom
  • The Year of Magical Thinking
  • The Art of Racing in the Rain
  • The Memory of Love
  • Library of Souls (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children, #3)
  • Steal Like an Artist: 10 Things Nobody Told You About Being Creative
  • The Sparrow Sisters
  • Hollow City (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children, #2)
  • Alone in the Kitchen with an Eggplant : Confessions of Cooking for One and Dining Alone
  • All Our Names
  • Hillbilly Elegy: A Memoir of a Family and Culture in Crisis
Brian Sousa is the author of the novel-in-stories Almost Gone and his fiction and poetry has appeared in numerous journals and anthologies. He teaches at Boston College, edits the music and culture online magazine Mule Variations, and plays guitar in the band Ocean*Transfer.