Start by marking “Honor Code” as Want to Read:
Honor Code

Honor Code

3.77  ·  Rating details ·  52 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
With HONOR CODE, award-winning author Cathy Perkins delivers a mystery NOVELLA linked to her recent mystery novel, THE PROFESSOR.

In a small southern town where everyone knows each other’s business, veteran detective Larry Robbins must solve the disappearance of eighty-year-old widower George Beason.

When evidence arises that Beason may have left town on his own, it would be
Published October 28th 2012 by Cathy Perkins

To ask other readers questions about Honor Code, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Honor Code

Betsy
Honor Code introduced me to Cathy Perkins, the author. I found the story to be captivating, and I really loved the main character, Larry Robbins, a veteran detective in a small southern town. Although this is a novella, the author did a wonderful job un-layering the plot like an onion. There was plenty of time for the reader to get pulled into the plot and still have a few twists to keep us on our toes. The author has a wonderful writing style that I look forward to visiting again soon. I also w ...more
CAS
Dec 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Strong writing and well developed characters were a nice surprise in this novella. The plot moved at a good pace with enough twists to keep me turning the pages. Loved the epilogue.

Robbins' internal conflicts and interactions with the supporting characters (Miz Rose is a terrific secondary character) lifted the story out of the "yet another detective story" group.
Lelia Taylor
Nov 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: full-reviews
A missing man, a murdered pet, a cop’s family issues, retribution—they’re all here in this novella, a standalone. When George Beason disappears and his home seems to have been ransacked, Detective Larry Robbins and his young partner, Jerry Jordan, are puzzled as to whether a crime has occurred or a slovenly old man has simply wandered off but there are enough unresolved questions to keep Robbins looking for answers. The daughter that should be concerned is much less than helpful and it’s hints t ...more
Ruth
Dec 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a wonderful novella (which I received from the author), which seems to fill the word count much too quickly. I really enjoyed The Professor, and this one uses one of the secondary characters from that book, and writes an interesting, clever little mystery around one of his cases.

The writing is simple, but flows really nicely, but what I particularly enjoy (and enjoyed about The Professor as well), is how well we get to know the main protagonist. We get to see and hear his thought proces
Kathy
Dec 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Honor Code is another multi-layered and intricately plotted story by Cathy Perkins that I highly recommend to anyone who enjoys a good mystery. To read my review in its entirety, please click HERE.
Lucy Dosch
Nov 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was a well written short story...and I will emphasize short story.

It was an interesting case of an old man who disappears one night. His neighbor insists that he was very sharp in mind, but his sight wasn't good so he would not have taken his car and left in middle of the night. But he took is wallet. What kind of kidnapper let's you go grab your wallet before you go?

The more they investigate, the more convoluted it becomes but until they find Mr. Beason, they still can't determine if he
Melanie Adkins
Jan 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Mr. Beason was.The dog was dead. The house was tossed and no one saw a thing. No one knew for sure if Mr. Beason left on his own or was kidnapped. It was strange for Mr. Beason to take off without telling someone where he was going. As the police try to unravel this mystery, they find more things that didn't make sense to them. Time is of the essence! They have to find Mr. Beason and soon.

Dark and sinister in parts, this novella keeps your mind moving to work out the leads. A solid story with
Paul M Steinle
Apr 05, 2015 rated it it was ok
Ex machina

"Honor Code" had the makings of a good detective story - interesting characters in an interesting place. Then the author appeared to lose interest in writing this story, so she tagged on a conclusion which was a classic deus ex machina. The chief detective character "happens" to see evidence of some random vandalism and it leads him to "solve" the mystery. After that comes a stilted epilogue that is nothing more than baffling. This author may have a good book in her, but this one is no
JenniferJ
Fast paced mystery involving a widower and a South Carolina cop who was keen enough to realize the widower was in trouble despite evidence proving otherwise. Although short it was edge of your seat and upbeat to the very end!
Vikky
Feb 18, 2014 rated it liked it
It was okay, but not very exciting, but I did read to the end to see what happened, but it was a bit of a let down.
Rebecca J.
Dec 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Fast, interesting read. If you enjoy police procedurals, you'll enjoy Honor Code.
Keith
Oct 30, 2013 rated it it was ok
I found this to be a rather hiring story. I was goadnit was short.
Rachel
Jan 25, 2013
Kath
Jul 30, 2016
Free Books, .99 &...: Honor Code - on sale! 2 12 Nov 16, 2014 05:19AM
Goodreads Librari...: Please add the cover to this book - thanks! 3 144 Nov 07, 2012 12:27PM
An award-winning author, Cathy Perkins works in the financial industry, where she's observed the hide-in-plain-sight skills employed by her villains. She writes predominantly financial-based mysteries but enjoys exploring the relationship aspect of her characters' lives. A member of Sisters in Crime, Romance Writers of America (Kiss of Death chapter) and International Thriller Writers, she is a co ...more