Start by marking “Fairytales for Wilde Girls” as Want to Read:
Fairytales for Wilde Girls

Fairytales for Wilde Girls

A deliciously dark bubblegum-gothic fairytale from a stunning new Australian talent.

‘He's gone the same way as those little birds that bothered me with their awful songs! And you will too, you and your horrible heart-music, because you won't stay out of my woods!'

There's a dead girl in a birdcage in the woods. That's not unusual. Isola Wilde sees a lot of things other peop
Published June 3rd 2013 by Random House Australia (first published June 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Fairytales for Wilde Girls, please sign up.
Josephine You might enjoy Coraline or The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman - he's one of Allyse Near's main influences.

Allyse Near
Feb 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Am I allowed to rate my own book? I suppose it must be so, because no celestial Goodreadian deity has cursed me down -
- yet.

Anyway, this is my first ever book! It's weird and creepy and lyrical and tender. It's got grungy schoolgirls, fizzy morsels of pop-culture, a book-within-a-book and a sinister talking rabbit. It's not just for girls! Your grandpa would probably love it.

Please come say hello to me on my twitter, or on here, or Facebook or on my Tumblr blog! We can talk about books and dead
☘Misericordia☘ ~ The Serendipity Aegis ~  ⚡ϟ⚡ϟ⚡⛈ ✺❂❤❣
Q: Isola Wilde was watching television with her brother Alejandro.
She was an only child. (c)
Q:
‘You smoke?’ said the boy.
‘Only passively,’ said the girl.
‘I mean dope.’
‘What’d you call me?’ (c)
Q:
Alejandro had told her that, in his experience, people were all about the empty spaces; the things they don’t have, the words that aren’t said.
Q:
she had a secret universe a doctor once called a ‘fantastic flight of fancy’
Laluna
Jun 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The cover of this book is beautiful though it does not prepare you at all for what's inside. I couldn't put it down. Like actually.

Father: Daughter, put the book down and eat dinner.
Mother: Daughter, put the book down and get ready for school.
Friend: Oi, put the book down and listen to my issues.
Teacher: Student, put the book down and do some physics.

Me:

description

This novel,scared me, confounded me, turned my brain into moosh, made me sleep with a light on **cough** captivated me. I always feel the need
Anne
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Bubblegum gothic is an apt description for this unique novel. I liked it a lot, even though it confused me quite a bit. Sort of reminded me of an even more trippy The Raven Boys. Never saw that ending coming, either.

The style is a little difficult at first but once you get used to it the story shines. The prose is lyrical and the characterization of Isola is strong. I think her brothers may have been my favorites, though.

If you want to read about faeries, ghosts, mermaids, gargoyles, witches, un
Amanda

Fairytales for Wilde Girls is Australian author, Allyse Near’s, first novel. Set in the small village of Avalon in England, sixteen year old Isola Wilde lives with her parents on the edge of Vivien’s Woods. Isola has two best friends Grace (aka Grape), and James. She also has friends that only she can see, they are her brother-princes, named after a band of brothers in a fairytale. She’s been able to see these ghostly friends since she was four years old - they protect her and keep her company.
Lauren
The time has come to say what I really think. And what I really think is...

photo sm venus heart eyes.gif
I FREAKING LOVED IT

I honestly dont even know where to begin. So I will subhead. Lets do this thiiiing.

The Writing

Above and beyond brilliant. Allyse's style is one of its own, so distinct that you could never mix her work up with anyone elses. Theres a touch of the old school about it (for me) reminiscent of Dickens, Austen & the like. But much more fun and quirky. Even quirky seems too simple of a word. But there's
Melanie
See more reviews at YA Midnight Reads

3.5 stars Mini review:

Thank you Random House Australia for sending me this copy. No compensation was given or taken to alter this review.

I wasn't necessarily disappointed with Fairytales for Wilde Girls, I was more at loss in anything. Nevertheless, Allyse Near's debut was rather pleasing despite a number of imperfections. A mix between fantasy and contemporary, despite the gorgeous cover, this novel reaches some grittily suspenseful scenes, with some patie
May 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
From the first page of this wonderful book, I knew it was going to be something special. The writing style is quirky and densely poetic and you're thrown headlong into a world that blends magic realism, urban fantasy and fairytale motifs. It's rare to find a book that you want to keep reading not for the plot but for the details you hope to discover on the next page - the world building and the juicy imagery that peppers the entire story. My only worry was that I would get sick of the eclectic s ...more
Katie
Apr 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I was given an ARC of this title at work, and it is one of the most perfect books I've read in the last year. Perhaps best summed up by the description given on the back cover (bubblegum-gothic - love it!), it is both traditionally child-fairytale-traditional and adult-dark-fairytale in turns.

Not one for younger readers as the mental health issues described are disturbing, it is one I'll be recommending to teens and adults alike who love fairy stories, something quirky, completely unpredictable
Jocie
Jun 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars.

yays
+ the writing. THE WRITING. THE. WRITING.
+ the characters
+ the plot & pacing
+ setting

nays
- how the plot was written (will explain in proper review)
- the beginning (i.e. first 50 pages or so) really confused me
- wish that the whole james characterisation was a little more in depth/drawn out

expect a review on friday! :)

link to review: http://youtu.be/cB9-7J_dJqg
Noelia Alonso
Jun 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2016
My full review: http://adayinbookland.blogspot.com.es...

THERE ARE NO WORDS. READ THIS
Cass -  Words on Paper
#1- "It's a pulp-fable about grunge girls, the occult, and slightly sinister talking rabbits."

Random House Australia | June 2013

#2- I MUST read this! Look at the cover! The synopsis, the book-within-a-book, the gothic-ness, the title, the quote, and hello-- Aussie author!

Thanks, Allyse, for following my reviews and I hope to one day have the pleasure of reviewing it. ;)

#3- Aw, I preordered a copy a week or two ago. A review copy just arrived for me today. Giveaway! :D It is *SO* pretty. (I'll be
Tsana Dolichva
Mar 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fairytales for Wilde Girls is Allyse Near's début novel. It's about sixteen-year-old Isola Wilde, who lives in contemporary England and whose life is intricately interwoven with fairytales.

Isola can see ghosts and fairies and other magical beings and often roams the woods by her house. At first she reminded me a little bit of Luna Lovegood sans Hogwarts, but as we learn more about her we see that there is more to her character than meets the eye. Magical creatures aside, in the real world Isola
Jack Shanks
Sep 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
I mean, whoa.
This, considering it was Near's debut novel... I'm absolutely in awe. And definitely proud, fellow Australian AND Melbourne resident, she totally kicked butt!

Truthfully, the beginning of this book was a little confusing. I was reading on the train and had no idea what I was actually reading. Like, okay... This girl sees a suicide on TV with her older brother... But she is an only child. I was like, "What the heck? Okay? Only child... but brother... I don't understand."
But everything
Shaheen
May 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I had to stop reading this book 30 pages in to process. This is what I wrote on Goodreads: "I'm on page 32 of 432 of Fairytales for Wilde : So far: Deliciously creepy. Haunting. Clever. Witty. Impeccably imaged. Brilliant. Perfect."

That basically sums it up, you don't need to know anything else, except that you should grab yourself a copy of this novel as soon as it's possible for you to do so.

My favourite thing about Fairytales for Wilde Girls is the imagery, the dreamlike quality Near instills
Acacia Ives
I promise you I will be doing the full in-depth review on my channel. This book was amazing it was like somebody wrote fairytales for my teenage self. It was beautiful it was stunning and dark and desperate and sad and so good!!! If anyone has any books that are like this that they want to recommend me please do so I am completely floored and stunned and so excited to see anything else that this author comes out with auto buy absolute!

The story and format were written in a very miracle he Grimm
Melissa
Sep 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderfully written and unusual book about fairytales, magic, mental health, suicide and coping mechanisms. Kept me guessing until the end, and talked about deep, difficult, complex things with understanding, allegory and wonder. The ending wasn't quite as artfully written as the rest of it, but i can imagine it was an extraordinarily difficult piece of writing to end. So much respect for this author.
Jul 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This novel was absolutely incredible. The imagery, the story, the characters, everything about it. It was inspiring and I was completely engrossed in the story - it's been a while since I've read a novel I couldn't put down, I kept wanting to go back into that incredibly dark and beautiful and scary world.
I read this as an e-book but I'm going to buy it again as a hard copy to keep close by me when I need to feel less lonely and need inspiration.

Can't wait for more!
Nicole
Aug 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Can I give this 6 stars? Can I go back and turn my other 5s into 4s? Like the girl who circumnavigated fairyland in a ship of her own making I loved this from the very first few pages.
Clever, dark and compelling. I loved the writing style, the pace, the quotes, the drawings, the characters, the creatures.
I definitely recommend.
Erin
Jan 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013
If I could give this book more than five stars I would. All I can say is, read this book. It's..Wilde
Bec
This review first appeared on Readers in Wonderland

INITIAL REACTION
DNF at 17% - Review outlining reasons to come. But basically I'm struggling to get into it because it's weird and I have no idea what is happening/ why

REVIEW
I hate DNFing so much, and it frustrates me that my first DNF of 2018 happened so early on. But I wasn’t going to force myself to go on when I have many other books staring me down. Especially with a book I actually had attempted to start at the end of last year but put aside
Monica
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Oh my goodness I am in love with this book! Everything is just amazing and perfect and I’m really sad it isn’t a series because I just want to read more about this world but at the same time it’s perfect as just one book!!!! Words can’t describe my feelings right now! I already know I’m going to re-read this 100 times.... ❤❤❤❤❤❤❤ ...more
Emily Mead
Aug 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Read reviews, see awesome GIFS and experience my rambling thoughts at my blog, The Loony Teen Writer

So first off I loved this book. Let’s not draw that out.

THE WRITING. IT WAS JUST. DUDE. SERIOUSLY. I APPARENTLY CAN’T STRING TOGETHER A COHERENT SENTENCE BECAUSE ALLYSE NEAR HAS STOLEN THEM ALL.

This review is, from here on in, not going to make any sense. If my review is lacking in any way, it’s because this book has used all of the most amazing phrases in the English language.

I seriously consider
Beth_Adele
Apr 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
If a thousand words can paint a glorious portrait, then even the whimsically talented illustrations of Courtney Brimms cannot match the glory of Allyse Near's Fairytales for Wilde Girls. (And the illustrations are the kind you commit to skin memory, so graphically and achingly haunting they remain tattooed on your eye lids forever.)

There's a witch in Vivien's Wood. Isola Wilde knows this as surely as she knows what she saw, what she cannot unsee. That dead girls swinging stockinged leg dangling
Ian Tymms
Jul 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
I picked this book up because I hadn't read much Australian YA literature for a while and, when I went to look at the lists, the reviews had me intrigued.

This is not a genre I usually choose to read and, as a 47 year old male, my interests and experience are far from those of the intended audience of adolescent girls. It's to the book's very great credit that, despite all the likely hurdles, I enjoyed it so very much. This is Allyse Near's first novel and whilst there were places where the stor
Tara
Wow!! I don't quite know how to describe this book apart from it being so different to anything else I have ever read. The writing is beautiful and carried me away into another world and I gave myself over to the brother-princes. Isola was wonderful and my heart broke for her on more than one occasion. This story gave me everything I could wish for in a 'deliciously dark bubblegum-gothic fairytale'.
I downloaded this from Kindle after heading off and realising I had left the book I was actually r
Cris Daining
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was absolutely delightful. It was a modern Gothic fairytale, and it kept me entranced in the world from start to end. The writing of this book was incredibly beautiful. There were so many sentences that I wanted to write down in my journal because I love how they were phrased. So many beautiful sentences that I realized it was like I was just copy/pasting the entire book. If you love gothic tales, if you love fairytales and fairytale retellings, if you love beautiful writing, READ THIS ...more
Sam
Aug 12, 2013 added it
Shelves: did-not-finish
I'm devastated that I didn't like this. So many people have said great things about this, and I always want to support local authors. But everytime I would read a little bit and put it down, I wasn't dying to pick it up again to read more. I got to about 100 pages, and decided there are so many other books I'm more excited to be reading.

Maybe one day I'll re-visit it but for now I'm letting it go.
Jo
Jun 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
There simply aren't enough superlatives to describe how fantastic Fairytales for Wilde Girls is! In what can only be called pulp fantasy, Allyse Near has created a wonderful tale that's both enchanting and gritty, whimsical and wicked.

Clever, dark and compelling with a brilliant cast of characters and creatures, I have to insist you read this book. It's Wilde!

Bron
Aug 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Oyeyemi x Alice in Wonderland + a little nod to Plath
I adored this - it was weird and sweet and super creepy - and like nothing I've ever read before. I had no idea where this was taking me but loved every minute of the journey!
Around the Year i...: Fairytales for Wilde Girls, by Allyse Near 6 20 Feb 16, 2016 09:38AM
Who was your favourite prince? 7 35 Dec 11, 2013 06:25PM

• The Disappearance of Ember Crow (The Tribe #2)
  • Cry Blue Murder
  • Steal My Sunshine
  • The Sky So Heavy
  • Song of the Slums
  • Girl Defective
  • The Whole of My World
  • You Don't Even Know
  • The Cracks in the Kingdom (The Colours of Madeleine, #2)
  • The Wilful Eye (Tales from the Tower, #1)
  • The Categorical Universe of Candice Phee
  • The Convent
  • Prickle Moon
  • New Guinea Moon
  • Begin, End, Begin: A #LoveOzYA Anthology
  • The Zigzag Effect
  • Song for a Scarlet Runner
  • Memory: Stadt der Träume
I'm a twenty-six-year-old writer, magical girl and ghost enthusiast.

My début novel, 'Fairytales for Wilde Girls', was published in June, 2013, by Random House Australia. It's a pulp-fable about grunge girls, Victorian ghosts, and slightly sinister talking rabbits. Your grandma will love it.

I do love making new friends! So come and strike up a chat on my Twitter, Facebook, or my Tumblr blog.

I also
“There was something familiar but strange about her - Snow White with a suntan. Cinderella in biker boots. Tough and delicate and magical and real all at once.” 45 likes
“A memory: Isola as a toddler, sugarlump teeth, skin still smelling of milk. Hair that curled without use of an iron and sweet dresses that didn’t matter were dirtied. When she was old enough, she demanded the usual suspects at bedtime: The Little Mermaid, Hansel and Gretel, Beauty and the Beast.
Even then, Mother’s contempt for non-Pardieu fairytales was obvious.
‘Hmph,’ she snorted derisively, folding up her knees to perch on Isola’s bed. ‘Listen to me, Isola. The original Beauty’s just an encouragement to young women to accept arranged marriages. What it’s really saying to impressionable girls is, “Don’t worry if your new husband is decades older than you, or ugly, or horrid. If you’re sweet and obedient enough, you might just discover he’s a prince in disguise!’’

Mother’s Most Lasting Advice
‘Never be that girl, Isola. Never pick the beast or the wolf on the off-chance he won’t devour you.”
27 likes