Start by marking “The Wailing (The Books of Lost Knowledge)” as Want to Read:
The Wailing  (The Books of Lost Knowledge)

The Wailing

(Liminality #0.4)

With Nazi bombs falling from the sky and fires consuming London, reluctant immortal Daniel Leland finds himself in an uncomfortable position. As a halfhearted employee of the British government, blackmailed into submission, he is forced to use his peculiar talent for murder in the service of the Crown. But as the assignments become impossibly challenging, the limits of ...more
Published October 2012 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about The Wailing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wailing

Start your review of The Wailing (The Books of Lost Knowledge)
Jodi Lamm
Mar 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read The Wailing during my short breaks at work, and it turned out to be great company!

1. Was the story fun to read? Yes. It was fast-paced with an interesting, historical backdrop. It was a classic take on vampire lore with the twist being the vampire lore doesn't really seem to be the point. It's really a story about an assassin who just happens to be a vampire, and his target who also happens to be a vampirish, creepy bug-monster… thing. Had I chosen to sit down and read when I had hours to
Noree Cosper
Nov 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Oh Daniel, how I loved you in this book. Here we have a vampire that can be inhumman but not completely monstrous. The monstrous one is the vampire he's hunting. Rowan, his parner, is paranoid, secretive, and deadly. A combination I love. Violet White is more lady-like but she is still brave enough to join a vampire to hunt another one. The story takes place during World War 2, and you can feel the atmosphere of fear around London. This was a great tale of a moment in Daniel's life and it left ...more
Alicia Wright
Nov 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Our story begins in wartime London. A London that hides not only spies and other wartime dangers, but wizards, shapeshifters and the undead. Our protagonist, Professor Daniel Leland is one of the latter, in the service of the Crown. He doesn't really have a choice. Asked to hunt down a far older, far more dangerous member of his own kind, he seeks help to track her down...
I enjoyed it. The prose is quite flowery, but not overly so, and suits the time period in which the story is set. There's
Nai
Dec 31, 2013 rated it liked it
Great premise. It was a really intriguing synopsis that drew me to this book. I can't say it was a fantastic read. It was short, and left a lot to the imagination, but also left a lot to be desired in terms of developing story lines.

Rowan's character wasn't developed as much as I would have liked.

The book is set in London/Great Britain, and while that is a great landscape for a story to be set, the reader is expected to guess where many of the scenes take place. A library not named, a well
Emily
Jun 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
First - I won this book on First Reads, and the author signed the book and also sent me a nice handwritten note and a book mark and I did a lot of squee-ing before I finally settled down to read it. Second - I'm a sucker for a good vampire story, so far as I don't think there has ever been a vampire story I have read that I truly hated. So with that, I still have to say I very much enjoyed this short story. It grabbed me from the get-go, and I couldn't put it down until I finished it. It reads a ...more
David Duncan
Jan 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: all readers
Recommended to David by: Goodreads
Shelves: first-reads
The Wailing by Mr. Graham is my seventy-sixth book that I have received and read from Goodreads. I really enjoyed reading this book. It was fast paced and real interesting. It takes place in London England, during World War Two. This story is about a vampire assassin who himself is a vampire. Daniel Leland is a Professor and a vampire. He is in the service of the Crown. He is tasked with hunting down a female far more older than he is, and much more dangerous.
There is plenty of action and
Larry B Gray
Dec 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
For all you vampire lovers, this is a book for you. The Wailing by MR Graham is a dark paranormal vampire story which takes place in England during World War II.

The author did a great job of weaving an intriguing tale full of adventure and action without all the blood and gore so many authors try to outdo themselves with. It was a very believable story and easy to follow the various twist and turns. I really enjoyed the story.

The characters well developed and defined. They were both strong and
Sharon Stevenson
Mar 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
'The Wailing' is the story of reluctant assassin Daniel and his hunt to find and destroy a dangerous vampire who seems to have an unusual ability.

This is a very well written story that is atmospheric and mysterious throughout. The plot was interesting and I thought this was something a bit unique and original for a vampire story. The one thing I wasn't totally sold on were the characters. They were a bit on the cold side and so I didn't really connect with them.

Overall this was an enjoyable and
La La
4.5 on my blog. As soon as I read the last Book of Lost Knowledge available right now, The Mora, I will be reviewing this group of books as a whole on the blog. I will be back with a better mini review, also. My personal recommendation would be to read The Medium first, The Wailing second, and then In the Shadow of the Mountains. I might even have liked the beginning of In the Shadow of the Mountians better if I had read The Wailing first.
Judith
I love vampire Daniel Leland and his unusual job and (un)life. Vampire stories are at the top of my reading list and this has a different kind of plot and a bit of historical background (WWII London) to add some kick. Definitely a new spin on vampires. Looking forward to reading more of Daniel Leland and his un-dead life.

Penny
Apr 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
I won this little book through a Goodreads giveaway. I really enjoyed it. I like the style of the narration. The action was fast paced and interesting. It did feel like the beginning of a bigger novel, so it did leave you wanting more. The wartime setting created a tense and dangerous atmosphere. I would like to read more by this author and more about this character.
D. Mellott
Apr 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Good things come in small packages; and this is often true of books. "The Wailing" is cleverly written and engaging. Even though I was satisfied at the conclusion, I wanted more -- and hopefully I can follow-up with other books in this series and feel just as pleased with the end result.
MG
Jun 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this quite a bit. It's a tight, fast-paced cross between gritty urban fantasy and a historical thriller, with a surprise twist. I like how Graham's vampires aren't indestructible juggernauts. It makes for more exciting fight scenes and higher stakes.
Gretchen
May 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Short, and very good. Vampire-related, Sherlock Holmes-like. Give it a try.
Peter Dawes
Nov 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The writing is quickly paced and engaging. I found myself burning through pages without noticing them pass, eager to find out what would happen next! This is definitely worth the read.
Russell Mercer
Mar 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A really good read! Getting to know Daniel was great since I read the second book in the series first.
Martin Landry
May 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I've actually read this book twice now, the first time as an ebook and the second in paperback, and I believe I enjoyed even more the second time.
Faye Hollidaye
Mar 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A great read! A well-written and intriguing novel/la that kept me interested until the very end. I highly recommend for anyone who likes paranormal mystery and adventure.
Heather Poinsett Dunbar
Mar 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Totally addictive and an interesting spin on the often-tread vampire myth. Ready for the next one in the series.
Teresa Lavender
Aug 13, 2017 rated it liked it
I won this book here on goodreads. This was a GREAT book - I wanted MORE though. I feel as if the characters could have been more developed and the story fleshed out a bit more. I look forward to reading more by M.R. Graham.
Ramona Plant
Jan 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is yet another fantastic story by the author. She has a pleasant writing style that reads easily and has a great pace. I never feel rushed nor feel like she is dragging out the story.

Leland is definitely one of my favorite characters at this point and I always enjoy reading more about him. He is a rather complex character and with every book I read I find out more about him. In this one where he came from is revealed and makes him and even more likable character.

The story is great but does
Kirsten Tatum
I received this book in a Goodreads Giveaway and was sooo excited! When I received a package from the author I was blown away at the hand written note and the special touches added. I enjoyed this book and the characters were great! I loved Rowan and the fact that the author never really stated the fact that the Professor was a vampire. She beat around the bushes for a lot of it and it was an interesting read. I was really expecting a huge twist in the book and didn't really get that, so that ...more
Stef
Jul 15, 2014 rated it liked it
win in goodreads giveaway

cool plot and themes, interesting setting
Jill
Feb 02, 2016
Sam
Mar 09, 2017

• The Night Mayor
  • Black Eyed Children (Black Eyed Children #1)
  • Invasive Species
  • Harbinger: Ancient Purge Book 0
  • In the Night Wood
  • The Harvest (The Bell Witch #1)
  • Dark Ride
  • Sacrificial Grounds (The Bell Witch #2)
  • The Haunting Season
  • Exorcist Falls
  • Darkly the Thunder
  • Sacrifice
  • Wickers Bog: A Tale of Southern Gothic Horror
  • Terror on the Tundra (Terror Series Book 1)
  • Them
  • Every Heart a Doorway (Wayward Children, #1)
  • The Troop
  • Mother (Family Values Trilogy #1)
USA Today bestselling author M.R. Graham is a native Texan who traces strong cultural roots back to Scotland, Poland, and England. A mild-mannered PhD student during the day, Graham transforms at night into a raging Holmesian loremaster and rabid novelist.
Though passionate about all scholarship and academia, Graham's training and true love lies with anthropology, particularly the archaeological

Liminality (6 books)
  • The Medium (Liminality #1)
  • The Mora (Liminality, #2)
  • The Mage (Liminality #3)
  • The Martyr (Liminality #4)
  • The Masks (Liminality, #5)
  • Metanoia (Liminality, #6)