Start by marking “Second Rate Chances” as Want to Read:
Second Rate Chances

Second Rate Chances

Sam wakes up in the hospital expecting to find his girlfriend by his bedside. Instead, he finds a bleached-blond diva, claiming to be his fiancée, hovering over him. When he learns that he's just woken up from a coma and has lost the last three years of his life, any semblance of stability he thought he had falls down around him. All he wants – all he needs – is Lil.

After
Published January 11th 2013

To ask other readers questions about Second Rate Chances, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Second Rate Chances

Start your review of Second Rate Chances
Christy
Jan 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
A sweet story about heartbreak, love, and second chances.

Infinity

At the beginning of this story, you meet Sam and Lil. Both happy, in love, and buying their first home together. Fast forward three years later...

Sam is getting married, and not to Lil. He is marrying Chloe, his bosses daughter. She and Lil are pretty much opposites. Before you find out how everything with Lil and Sam fell apart, Sam gets in an accident. He wakes up, after being in a coma for a few days, and the last thing he remembers-
Heidi McLaughlin
Oct 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I'm very honored to have worked on this story with Holly. I have no doubt you will fall in love with Sam and Lil, as well as the amazing ensemble cast.

Review to come later.
♠ Becka & Cerys ♠ | Spitfire Reviews
*Spoiler Free Review*
I just finished reading about maybe 30 seconds ago...
Background: Boy meets girl.... Both fall in love... Boy and Girl get a house together...Less than a year later their lives are torn apart and they go on separately... Girl never gets over boy but had a one night stand with a creepy perverted weirdo... Boy gets a new Fiancee called Chloe who is currently planning the wedding...HERE IT GOES EVEN MORE COMPLICATED... Boy (Sam) falls and is in a coma for days, wakes up
Jucilene
Mar 12, 2014 rated it did not like it
L.A.M.E!!!

All you need to know was already explained in JLC's review

Just read it before start this one. I should know better, because I read JLC's review and even so I insist in read the book because I had bought it.

Liz
Oct 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemp-rom
Anyone who takes a look at my shelves knows that if given a choice contemporary romance is not my preferred cup of tea. That said if you give me a story with a hook, in this case a mystery that breaks apart two soul mates, I'm probably gonna go for it! What can I say? I'm also a HUGE sap, seriously, ask my husband.

The story of Sam and Lil is a tale easily described as the things people who love each other do when they are hurting and don't even realize it. They push away their partners, their
Cristina Buzoianu
Originally posted on my Blog, Bibliophile Mystery

I’ve been looking forward to reading this book ever since I saw its beautiful cover, and the story didn’t disappoint me at all.

Sam and Lil were a happy young couple. They loved each other very much and thought that no one and nothing could break them apart.

But three years later we find them completely changed. There’s nothing left from the former happiness, not even their friends. Sam is getting married in
Tiana411
Apr 20, 2013 rated it it was ok
This book was like reading a Hallmark made for TV movie. Simply put, not all that exciting.
I saw some good reviews on here, so I thought I needed a great love story to pick me up from a crappy book I just read. This book wasn't terrible but it was so predictable and boring. It started off all promising with the prologue and then you wonder what's happened. The build up was so long and drawn out and I was like frickin hell just tell him!
Basically Sam and Lil had a true love story, something
Scott-robert Shenkman
Jan 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
So I think there were some serious biblical themes going on in this book: the MCs were named Sam(son) and (De)Lil(ah) – and we all know how well that turned out. Sam’s two best friends were named Kane and Abe (seriously), Sam’s father’s name is Paul, and his brother is Joshua. Sam’s potential father-in-law is Jonah. Lil’s best friend is Elle, which is obviously Elizabeth. Seriously, I feel like I should be going to church or something this weekend! The only character (I think) that didn’t have a ...more
Jurate
Oct 12, 2013 rated it liked it
The main idea of the book was good, but something was missing. tumblr m3634y6j Jb1qaejpto1 500

So it was good , but not very good
Deserie williams
Mar 27, 2016 marked it as just-not-for-me-stay-away-hell-no
Self Note: This is not for me. Look at JLC's review for a reminder why!
skywalker (uninspired)
description
Second rate chances. There it goes into the big pile of regrets. It doesn’t even deserve a first chance. Sorry, bad pun, couldn’t resist.
description
This book is about perfection. The perfect everything. the perfect romantic moment. the perfect proposal. the perfect jilting. HURRAH, and the perfect couple!
description
The most perfectly annoying things about the book are the MCs. They are so full of themselves. And don’t even get me started on the names-
***drumroll*** SAM and DELILAAAAAHH
If I realized it any
Belle
“How?” he asked in a whisper. “How did we go from being what I remember – happy and in love – to,” he waved his arms around the space that kept them apart, “this? To you standing what feels like a world away? Lil, we promised one another forever.”

AHHHHH what a fantastic read. Seriously, great plot line. This is a book about how true love never goes away. How a man with amnesia gets a second chance with the woman he loves. How he gets a second chance to change his life to become a better man.
Beeg Panda
Anushka
Jun 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Rating - 4.5 stars.

OH MY WOOOOORDDDDD! THIS IS SUPERRRRR COOOOOOOL! OH MY WOORDDDDDDDDD
It's an amazing book! I had to read it in one go. ONE GO.
And well, to be honest, this book had me at the prologue.

This book is full of everything:

Anticipation. Love. Heartbreak. Reunions. Tears. Smiles. Mysteries. Happy Ending.
AND EVERYTHING POSSIBLE <3

This is one of the best books I've read lately and yes, I'm being honest, give this book a chance! It deserves it. I'm a fan of Holly now,
Megan
“For it is said that a love of epic proportions would stand the test of time from here until all eternity. For if he was the day and she was the night, one cannot be without the other.”

Second Rate Chances tells the story of Sam and Lil. It begins with a prologue showing just how happy and very much in love this couple is. Unfortunately, their love story seems to have veered off course at some point. Immediately following the prologue, it’s three years later and Sam and Lil are thing of the
Karla Mae (Reads and Thoughts)
Dec 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013-reads
The concept of Amnesia doesn't really fail to intrigue me. There is always this part of me that ticks with curiosity when I get to read stories with people losing memories - how would they cope up? How could they start up all over again? Is losing their memory enough to mend the fences or people they broke? Would that be enough for second chances?

Three hurtful years have passed since Sam walked out of Lil's life. Three hurtful years of therapy and coping up with life. They we’re once both
Melissa
Jan 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Second Rate Chances tells a sad story about redemption-a second chance. I don't believe this story meant for readers to cry, but the meaning behind everything can induce tears. I'm not crying, but in my mind Sam and Lil's story is tear worthy.

The story begins with the prologue, and it's obvious that the happy couple is Sam and Lil. They're about to spend the rest of their lives together, but three years later and everything has changed. Sam and Lil are no longer together and we (the readers)
Detroitangel
Oct 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-this
4 STARS for the debut novel by Holly Stephens. Contemporary Romances normally have a pattern that makes the story predictable. When you are reading, you are waiting for your mental list to tick off items before you can get back to the love. This book didn't do that--REFRESHING!

We begin with the promise of everything from Sam to Lil--Love, laughter, and a happy future together. They have invested in a home and see the same things sparkling in the distance.

Three years later, Sam wakes up and can
Katy
Jan 11, 2013 rated it it was ok
This would have been a sweet, romantic quick read. But 1) I laughed at the absurdity of how Sam fell into a coma and the ridiculousness of his reaction when he woke up (i.e. "For a second I thought maybe I had been in a car accident and she was some crazy that hit me.") And 2) it was one of those frustrating books where the person doesn't know/remember the secret, and everyone else know, but they all keep him in the dark for the sake of dragging the story out.

And the secret? It wasn't hard to
Karen
Dec 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
Awwww. This was such a sweet story.

Sam has an accident leaving him with amnesia. He is missing the last 3 years of his life. The last thing he remembers is buying a house with his college sweetheart and the love of his life, Lil. He is told that the life as he remembers it no longer exists. He is now engaged to Chloe and is to be married in a few weeks.

Sam has to come to terms with the man he has become and try to figure out what happened to alter the course of his life.

Lil has been trying to
Christina Lyn
Jan 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Samson and Delilah Who haven't thought about this names seems to be related.

Creating Second Rate Chances has a peculiar taste. Holly Stephens is the master mind creating a master piece like this. I enjoyed reading every bits of this. They were brought together after all those years has passed. The answers that Lil searching for the long time has finally been answered. And same goes to Sam. I have to say the Karma is the worst bitch ever. I'm glad at the end it came to his senses what his been
Zizz
Nov 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars I think.

The premise somehow reminded me of The Opportunist. Guy and girl break up. 3 years later, he has amnesia and is engaged to another person. But he remembers her - his real love. At the beginning, I thought maybe the author is just as frustrated as me and decided to write her own story based somewhat on that premise. Or maybe this is just me and my crazy obsession with TO talking here...

This was a sweet, quick read. It had the potential to be something bigger - if only the
Sara
Dec 12, 2012 rated it liked it
3.5 stars for me. I love second chances and this definitely was one. The BIG thing that separated them was stretched too long for me. The story danced around it for a while and I did have 2 guesses, and one of them was right. It was sad but for all the build up, it didnt have a BANG reveal. Loved both characters, but I really liked the confused Sam, he was so cute and sweet. The supporting friends were great. Overall i did enjoy this book, but the big secret wasnt a surprise to me and the reveal ...more
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
3.5 stars.

This book started out SOOOOOO well. I was like 30-40% into it and dying to review it as "THE BEST BOOK EVER OMGOMG." Then around 42% it began it's slow decline into mediocrity. Booooooo. Hisssssssssss. The heroine's early displays of wit and cleverness--absent. The interactions between friends that gave the story depth and personality--a thing of the past.

Really. It's horribly disappointing. There was so much potential, but in the end it just sort of nonchalantly fizzled out.
Isis
Oct 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
What a great first book from Holly Stephens. I am not a big fan of contemporary romance novels but this one has changed my mind. The author gave the characters such great personalty's that you hope they are real. The language in the book is adult but its not over the top. I recommend getting a glass of wine and setting Pandora to "My Love or The Civil Wars Radio" channel while reading this book. I'm looking forward to the next book by Mrs. Stephens.
Bayli
Dec 12, 2012 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2013
I'm interested to see what some reviews for this book looks like before I buy it.

It looks pretty good though... Intrigued is what I am.

Not your typical love story it sounds like.
Farzana rahmann
Jan 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Loved the book the emotions and build up was great. A romantic short story for those chilly days.
Alyssa
Jan 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
***Review posted on The Eater of Books! blog***

Second Rate Chances by Holly Stephens
Publication Date: January 10, 2013
Rating: 3 stars
Source: Ecopy provided by the author

Summary (from Goodreads):

✿ℎazℯℓ - thℯ ℛock Cℎick ℱairy✿
A good getting-back together story~

This was a fast read for me. It felt as if I was on a race. I finished it under two hours. Why? It's because I wanted to get to the bottom of their situation right away.

The plot was kinda new to me. I think I've never read another amnesia book like this. What happened? Hmmm.. It was all fast.. in a good way, sort of.

How would you react if suddenly, all you remember is a life from 3 years ago?

What would you do if you find out that you've been a jerk to everyone
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Spiral
  • Deathless & Divided (The Chicago War, #1)
  • The Lying Hours (How to Date a Douchebag, #5)
  • Step Beast
  • Scarless & Sacred (The Chicago War, #3)
  • Reckless & Ruined (The Chicago War, #2)
  • Unbreak My Heart (Fostering Love, #1)
  • Just the Way You Are
  • Breathless & Bloodstained (The Chicago War, #4)
  • Safe Bet (The Rules, #4)
  • When I Was Yours
  • Allegiance
  • The Valentine's Arrangement (Hard Feelings, #1)
  • Waiting on You (Blue Heron, #3)
  • Where Good Girls Go To Die (Good Girls, #1)
  • Inhale, Exhale (Hollow Ridge, #1)
  • Playing for Keeps (Playing to Win #2)
  • Perfect Storm
People have often told me that I live in a fantasy world. Little did they know, I was building an empire of stories in my head to one day share.

I'm a mother first, a wife second, and a writer third. I'm so thankful to have been given this chance to get my stories out of my head and onto paper.

When I'm not writing, I sell plumbing (no I'm not kidding) and read romances that leave my heart a
“I've already been to hell and back. This time, I want to go to paradise. I want to do whatever it is you want. Because all I want is you, by my side, from this moment until forever.” 32 likes
“You are so in over your head that even a life raft can't keep you afloat.” 3 likes