Start by marking “Twisted Dark Volume 1” as Want to Read:
Twisted Dark Volume 1

Twisted Dark Volume 1

(Twisted Dark #1)

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  503 Ratings  ·  109 Reviews
The first volume in Neil Gibson's acclaimed series of twisted tales. This 200 page book contains 12 individual and unique stories which are all related. The stories vary from 10 year old girls to Colombian drug lords and everything in between. It is left to the reader to find the connections between the stories - some connections are immediately clear whilst other connecti ...more
Published 2010 by T Pub

To ask other readers questions about Twisted Dark Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Twisted Dark Volume 1

Savannah Tanbusch
Jun 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Twisted Dark is one of those comics that has you begging for more after the first story.

Twisted Dark is an accumulation of short horror stories all written by Neil Gibson. The publication lives up to its name with stories that reminisce of the Twilight Zone. The twist at the end of each story is always the perfect amount of creepiness to make the reader feel their skin crawl up their spine.

Gibson builds the stories in Twisted Dark like spider webs, which is perhaps the most interesting aspect.
Anna
Each of the stories are "dark" but in an juvenile way. each of the stories have a "twist" but either it's just dumb or you see it coming a mile away. one of the artists style are unappealing and amateurish and unfortunately it seems to be Gibsons favourite.
The opening story is the best and even then it's only a meh.
To my chagrin I bought volume 1 and 2 together. I haven't even bothered to finish the second one so far.
If you've read a lot of horror stories and are a fan of the genre I'll advis
Jamie
Think about stories you read that make you go, "How can so&so do such a thing?!' Lots of that in here.

Art is mostly bland. Not bad just not my type. Too much looks the same. Which is sad since there were different artists.

Overlapping characters in various stories was quite interesting. The stories live up the the title quite well. The twisted side of humanity peaks through at is in these tales. Some are just a few pages others about 40 pages and everything in between. Several tale
Maxine Marsh
These little short stories are intriguing and somewhat creepy, but their brevity limits the effect.
Bekki Pate
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've never read a graphic novel quite like this one - from the first story I was hooked, and read it in one sitting - the stories were so tragic but relatable because a few of them were about current things happening in the world today - these things could have happened to real people, which made them especially interesting yet sad.
I can't wait to read the rest of the series!
Mollydee
Oct 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: graphic novel, comics, thriller, horror, mystery
This is one of the best graphic novels I have ever read. I purchased this graphic novel at New York ComicCon this year where Neil signed it ("Have a Twisted Time") and I got to talk to him at length. He is a very cool guy.

This graphic novel is broken up into 12 short stories, some of which are stories already read in the graphic novel but are now taking place in a different time period.

I would love to review all 12 stories but instead I am going to give you a very brief synopsis of each of them
Clare
Oct 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 out of 5 stars

This was a very creepy graphic novel.
Each story had its own twist, and it was interesting to see how some of the stories connected throughout.

It was definitely a quick read.

The art styles varied - some were amazing whereas others weren't quite as good. There were a mixed bunch of themes too. Honestly, there are so many trigger warnings for this book. It deals with suicide, drugs, mental illness, arson, murder, rape, slavery, manipulation, child abuse, domestic abuse... There's
RubyMist
Sep 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this while at MCM Manchester (30th July 2016)! I pinkie-promised a review (and grabbed the last copy of this volume! Hurrah!

And yes, it was definitely triumphant. The book is a series of short comics that relate so well to each other. Each story has their own defining twists and the entire volume was such as pleasure to read. The art styles changed, as there are multiple artists involved, and this made the stories that much more different to each other.

I think I'll be buying the other vo
Edward Ellis
Jun 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
As a self published graphic novel this is up there with one of my favourites.
I have been a huge 'comic' fan for some years, but was introduced to this whilst at the LSCC in Feb 2013 and I could not put it down.
The art-work and the stories portray a very bleak look into the darker recesses of our minds/thoughts/and actions.
Each story is excellently written and illustrated, and with a dark/twisted undertone that can leave you feeling uncomfortable, but desperate to read more!
Conor Swift
Jul 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Picked this up at a convention here in Ireland and I couldn't put it down afterwards. I love short comic stories and these were some of the creepiest I've ever read. Twisted and bleak, this is a must read.
Kimberly Vanderbloom
Fascinating

I want this on a Goodreads first reads giveaway!

I was excited to get my hands on a copy because it sounded fantastic. I have never read a graphic novel on the Kindle. It was an amazing experience. You got to see in-depth look at each picture blown up and were able to appreciate the work that each illustrator demonstrated. I was so engrossed in the each story that I actually finish this in one sitting. I was unable to start looking and reading and admiring the work. I have not read a g
Katya Kazbek
These are like a Twilight Zone for the contemporary audience and in comic format. Black Mirror came to mind as a comparison, too. Little stories which show how the world can be fucked due to flaws in ourselves (or, sometimes, just because nature is evil). I loved that they were interconnected (not all, but most) and how they featured an international, diverse cast of characters, who at the same time were not condescended upon to be left two-dimensional goody-two-shoes. Perhaps because I am into ...more
Sleepy Ash
I'm so glad I decided to stop and look at this volume at MCM. whilst reading this one specific saying popped into my mind; 'some people just want to watch the world burn.'

Twisted dark is a selection of short stories ,in comic form, which all intertwine and overlap, sharing similar themes such as; power, abuse, mental health, corruption and death amongst others. It's a fantastic start to the series and I was captivated as every story truly keeps the reader guessing. With dark humoured twists, sho
Eleana
Sep 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Solid 3.5. Enjoyable, some of the stories were at 5 stars some were a 2
Andrea
May 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm hooked! Can't wait to continue the series and follow up on all the connections...
Carl Buehler
Aug 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good Stuff

I read this on a round trip flight. Great travel reading!. The stories are shirt and to the point and not standard comic book fare. The artwork is sharp and fits the mood.

I'll be looking for Volume 2
Rais
Aug 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I met Neil at MCM 2017 and promised him to leave a review...... so here it is NEIL!
I bought Tortured Life from him the year before, which if you haven't read...... please do!

So let's begin!

Each tale of horror has it's own twist's, turn's,recurring character's and intertwining stories which each deal with their own 'twisted dark' plot. There's some really disturbing material covered such as abuse and murder.
I ended up reading the whole book in a day, when each chapter passed the more I wanted t
Nina Penny
Oct 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Rate: 4.5/5 ☆☆☆☆<

Writing: Neil Gibson's writing style is incredibly compelling. Each line draws you into the next. His use of plot twisting is masterful and it kept this book on my mind long after I put it down.

Art Style: I really enjoyed the art in this graphic novel. Typically I prefer more colorful artwork, but the gray scale used to illustrate this novel was perfect for the story and further drew me into the world.

Characters: The characters are so perfectly draw, both literally and figu
A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol)
*Book source ~ A review copy was provided in exchange for an honest review.

From Goodreads:
Twisted Dark forms the first book in an upcoming. This, the first volume, is formed of 12 individual and unique stories comprising of nearly 200 hundred pages. The stories vary from 10 year old girls to Columbian drug lords and everything in between but the stories are all somehow connected some obviously so and some not. It is left to the reader to find the connections, with some connections impossible to
Nicholas Berrill-Doran
I absolutely loved this book, I met Neil Gibson in person at the Irish comic con who had a little challenge set up, we were to try and read a story or two from his collection of dark and twisted short stories in the first volume and attempt not to enjoy. Suffice to say I failed the challenge. I immediately bought the book and got to talking with neil himself who seems to be a genuinely humble person passionate about their work.

Enough gush though it's time for the actual content reviewing. Each
Wayne McCoy
'Twisted Dark, Volume 1' by Neil Gibson is a series of 12 stories. They all deliver on the title, and many of them are interwoven. The writing was good, but I wasn't as crazy about some of the art.

The stories all have a sort of twist to them. There is one about someone contemplating suicide, or a man who invented a new window technology. There is a man in India working in appalling conditions that fights for a change. There is a family with a sick child. There is a man in the South American drug
Luisa Göttler
May 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Twisted Dark is a mean one.

Not only will some of the ends leave you a tad devastated, but it won't let you put it down.
"Just one more story" you tell yourself - and then there you are, having read the whole thing in one go. And you want more. More twisted stories, more grinning evil maniacs, more of Neil Gibson's dark mind.

Twisted Dark consists of several short stories, though it's not the classic Sunday newspaper short story. While you can read them as a stand alone and it still works well, th
Marjolein
3.5 Stars

Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

A set of short 'twisted, dark' graphic stories which promised something I really like: hidden and not so hidden connections between them.

At first this seems a little weird, as the style and tone differs quite a lot between the stories and they deal with a lot of different themes (but always a little twisted turn to it). But then, when you start noticing the connections between the stories, it's a lot of fun. Of course, I liked
Alex
Jul 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Twisted Dark will leave you addicted and your impulse to read the next volume will kill you if you don't begin to read it that day!

I usually spend my time reading Doctor Who comics but I decided to make a change which I do not regret. Twisted Dark is a compilation of various stories which are serious page turners. Each story is unique and I felt myself actually feeling for the characters. "Routine" left the most impact as the illustrations provide alluring images that make you feel. Actually, I
Phoebe
May 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So I promised Neil that I would rate this online and so here I am fulfilling my promise.
About a year ago I went to comicon and saw the books there. I bought the first book and holy mother of moo is it one of the best things I have ever read. For a while I had been wanting to get into comics and graphic novels but didn't know where to start. This was perfect. I now have the first three volumes and a mild obsession with it.
If you want stories with twists and turns and lots of connections these a
Leila Anani
Excellent anthology of sting-in-the-tail horror stories, set off by simple, hard hitting b/w illustrations. For an independent this is something special.

The first story - suicide is probably my favourite and for me the most shocking but there are other dark stories peopled with pushmen, drug dealers, Islamic terrorists, fanatics, lunatics and more. Its like a cross between tales of the unexpected and the manga of people like Junji Ito.

some of the stories are linked and I believe that in subsequ
Jennie
Jul 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Deliciously dark and twisted, this is obviously an aptly-named graphic novel. It's broken into several psychologically dark stories, all dealing with someone who was born into unhealthy circumstances and deals with them...well...perhaps not in the most healthy manner.

I.

Freaking.

Loved it.

This was one of the best 99 cents that I've spent on Amazon -- the art was lovely (in a creepy way -- see cover illustration), the stories were intelligently and poignantly written, and I could not put it down. (
Paul Sinclair
May 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I met Neil at Comic con recently and had a great chat about Twisted Dark. Purchased it the same day and Neil signed the same so I promised to review.

I really enjoyed all the short stories and the mix of different characters. Lots of twists and characters turning out to not be as they originally seem. Completely different to anything I have read before and I would highly recommend reading this graphic novel. I will be purchasing volume 2 very shortly and hope to see how some of these characters
Linton123
Nov 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I wouldn't normally consider myself a fan of horror, ghosts and ghouls don't really do it for me - which is precisely why Twisted Dark is so good. The stories are unnerving as opposed to scary, each set firmly in the real world. The writing is of a very high quality, with twists and turns a plenty to keep you guessing til the end. The art work is a mixed bag, but for the most part also very impressive. For an indie, you've got to be impressed.
Lauren Dowsett
Mar 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant! Great stories that have been engraved in my mind forever. Love how the other novels have stories that connect to each other. Author is a top fella as well.
Goodreads Librari...: Problem with combined book- Twisted Dark Vol 1 3 15 Feb 17, 2014 09:35AM
Goodreads Librari...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Combine book and change cover 15 39 Feb 12, 2014 10:39AM
  • The Dreadful Fate of Jonathan York: A Yarn for the Strange at Heart
  • Fatale: Deluxe Edition, Volume One
  • Spread, Vol. 1: No Hope
  • Blood Memory: Season One, Episode One (Episode One)
  • Bedlam, Vol. 1
  • Star Trek: Ongoing, Volume 6: After Darkness
  • Graphic Classics, Volume 1: Edgar Allan Poe
  • Star Trek: Harlan Ellison's The City on the Edge of Forever: The Original Teleplay
  • Fearsome Creatures of the Lumberwoods: Twenty Chilling Tales from the Wilderness
  • Deep Dark Fears
  • Suffrajitsu: Mrs Pankhurst's Amazons (Issue 1)
  • The New Death and others
  • Strange Girl Omnibus
  • Camp Midnight
  • Illyria: Haunted
  • Harbinger, Volume 1: Omega Rising
  • Graphic Classics, Volume 14: Gothic Classics
  • Cloudy With a Chance of Destruction (Lois Lane)

Twisted Dark (6 books)