Start by marking “Twisted Dark Volume 1” as Want to Read:
Twisted Dark Volume 1

Twisted Dark Volume 1

(Twisted Dark #1)

The first volume in Neil Gibson's acclaimed series of twisted tales. This 200 page book contains 12 individual and unique stories which are all related. The stories vary from 10 year old girls to Colombian drug lords and everything in between. It is left to the reader to find the connections between the stories - some connections are immediately clear whilst other connecti ...more
Published 2010 by T Pub

To ask other readers questions about Twisted Dark Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Twisted Dark Volume 1

Start your review of Twisted Dark Volume 1
Savannah Tanbusch
Jun 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Twisted Dark is one of those comics that has you begging for more after the first story.

Twisted Dark is an accumulation of short horror stories all written by Neil Gibson. The publication lives up to its name with stories that reminisce of the Twilight Zone. The twist at the end of each story is always the perfect amount of creepiness to make the reader feel their skin crawl up their spine.

Gibson builds the stories in Twisted Dark like spider webs, which is perhaps the most interesting aspect.
Stewart Tame
Full disclosure: I won a free Kindle copy of this book in a Goodreads giveaway.

Not bad. I was initially skeptical--the first few stories are kind of meh--but it gets better. Both stories and art are a bit on the crude side, but they get the job done. Is this a great horror comic? No, but it is a decent one.

I was beginning to get a bit annoyed that every story seems to end on the same image, but then I read the title of the book again, and realized, “Oh …” I can be a bit slow on the uptake somet
Nada A.
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I started this not expecting to devour the pages!! Each one of the stories is surprisingly compelling and the twists and turns are both disturbing and unexpected. Can’t wait to read the next volume!!
Jamie
Think about stories you read that make you go, "How can so&so do such a thing?!' Lots of that in here.

Art is mostly bland. Not bad just not my type. Too much looks the same. Which is sad since there were different artists.

Overlapping characters in various stories was quite interesting. The stories live up the the title quite well. The twisted side of humanity peaks through at is in these tales. Some are just a few pages others about 40 pages and everything in between. Several tales pe
Bekki Pate
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've never read a graphic novel quite like this one - from the first story I was hooked, and read it in one sitting - the stories were so tragic but relatable because a few of them were about current things happening in the world today - these things could have happened to real people, which made them especially interesting yet sad.
I can't wait to read the rest of the series!
Maxine Marsh
These little short stories are intriguing and somewhat creepy, but their brevity limits the effect.
Y. E. Katerina
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This graphic novel by far is the best psychological horror I’ve had the pleasure of reading. It’s chilling to the bone, featuring intelligent and realistically dark horror. If you are a fan of the netflix show, Black Mirror, Twilight Zone, or have a love for dark stories, you will love this one.
Twisted Dark is an anthology of stories set in a world identicail to our own, but the twist is, well it’s twisted, very twisted—it is twisted in such a way that churns the stomach, curdles the blood an
Mollydee
Oct 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: graphic novel, comics, thriller, horror, mystery
This is one of the best graphic novels I have ever read. I purchased this graphic novel at New York ComicCon this year where Neil signed it ("Have a Twisted Time") and I got to talk to him at length. He is a very cool guy.

This graphic novel is broken up into 12 short stories, some of which are stories already read in the graphic novel but are now taking place in a different time period.

I would love to review all 12 stories but instead I am going to give you a very brief synopsis of each of them
Frank
Dec 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting, good for fans of dark or gritty graphic novels. Very much like Black Mirror, with short, mostly unconnected stories.
Clare
Oct 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 out of 5 stars

This was a very creepy graphic novel.
Each story had its own twist, and it was interesting to see how some of the stories connected throughout.

It was definitely a quick read.

The art styles varied - some were amazing whereas others weren't quite as good. There were a mixed bunch of themes too. Honestly, there are so many trigger warnings for this book. It deals with suicide, drugs, mental illness, arson, murder, rape, slavery, manipulation, child abuse, domestic abuse... There's
Edward Ellis
Jun 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
As a self published graphic novel this is up there with one of my favourites.
I have been a huge 'comic' fan for some years, but was introduced to this whilst at the LSCC in Feb 2013 and I could not put it down.
The art-work and the stories portray a very bleak look into the darker recesses of our minds/thoughts/and actions.
Each story is excellently written and illustrated, and with a dark/twisted undertone that can leave you feeling uncomfortable, but desperate to read more!
Conor Swift
Jul 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Picked this up at a convention here in Ireland and I couldn't put it down afterwards. I love short comic stories and these were some of the creepiest I've ever read. Twisted and bleak, this is a must read.
Alex Murphy
Twisted Dark is a collection of macabre short stories that, at the moment, seem to have little to no connection to each other (but the author says in later volumes they become more connected). The stories differ in length, and in the type of darkness they tell. This can be either mental trauma and mental illness, murderous intent, greed and criminality, sociopath and psychopath, substance and domestic abuse. The acts that people in this series commit, they are always made not to look over the to ...more
Kimberly Vanderbloom
Fascinating

I want this on a Goodreads first reads giveaway!

I was excited to get my hands on a copy because it sounded fantastic. I have never read a graphic novel on the Kindle. It was an amazing experience. You got to see in-depth look at each picture blown up and were able to appreciate the work that each illustrator demonstrated. I was so engrossed in the each story that I actually finish this in one sitting. I was unable to start looking and reading and admiring the work. I have not read a g
Katya Kazbek
These are like a Twilight Zone for the contemporary audience and in comic format. Black Mirror came to mind as a comparison, too. Little stories which show how the world can be fucked due to flaws in ourselves (or, sometimes, just because nature is evil). I loved that they were interconnected (not all, but most) and how they featured an international, diverse cast of characters, who at the same time were not condescended upon to be left two-dimensional goody-two-shoes. Perhaps because I am into ...more
Eleana
Sep 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Solid 3.5. Enjoyable, some of the stories were at 5 stars some were a 2
Chantelle
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When I read the beginning chapters, it didnt exactly intrigue me, but it still stood out to me and I thought "maybe I should read more" and since then I have been absolutely obsessed!
Not only are the chapters compelling, but it truley shocks me that they are all one story!
I would defintely recommend this book to anyone who interested in physcological horror!
LJ
Aug 14, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The fact that every short short ends with a 'dark twist' kind of takes something away from it. It was 12 stories with the exact same formula. The twists themselves felt pretty cheap and most were predictable because of this. One of the stories straight up gave away the ending in the title? The art style was good but the writing was quite lazy.

I picked this up after a social media video promised the the book was 'addictive' and 'if I read it I won't be able to resist getting the next one'. I'm af
Carl Buehler
Aug 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good Stuff

I read this on a round trip flight. Great travel reading!. The stories are shirt and to the point and not standard comic book fare. The artwork is sharp and fits the mood.

I'll be looking for Volume 2
Rais
Aug 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I met Neil at MCM 2017 and promised him to leave a review...... so here it is NEIL!
I bought Tortured Life from him the year before, which if you haven't read...... please do!

So let's begin!

Each tale of horror has it's own twist's, turn's,recurring character's and intertwining stories which each deal with their own 'twisted dark' plot. There's some really disturbing material covered such as abuse and murder.
I ended up reading the whole book in a day, when each chapter passed the more I wanted t
Nina Penny
Oct 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Rate: 4.5/5 ☆☆☆☆<

Writing: Neil Gibson's writing style is incredibly compelling. Each line draws you into the next. His use of plot twisting is masterful and it kept this book on my mind long after I put it down.

Art Style: I really enjoyed the art in this graphic novel. Typically I prefer more colorful artwork, but the gray scale used to illustrate this novel was perfect for the story and further drew me into the world.

Characters: The characters are so perfectly draw, both literally and figurat
A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol)
*Book source ~ A review copy was provided in exchange for an honest review.

From Goodreads:
Twisted Dark forms the first book in an upcoming. This, the first volume, is formed of 12 individual and unique stories comprising of nearly 200 hundred pages. The stories vary from 10 year old girls to Columbian drug lords and everything in between but the stories are all somehow connected some obviously so and some not. It is left to the reader to find the connections, with some connections impossible to
Nicholas Berrill-Doran
I absolutely loved this book, I met Neil Gibson in person at the Irish comic con who had a little challenge set up, we were to try and read a story or two from his collection of dark and twisted short stories in the first volume and attempt not to enjoy. Suffice to say I failed the challenge. I immediately bought the book and got to talking with neil himself who seems to be a genuinely humble person passionate about their work.

Enough gush though it's time for the actual content reviewing. Each
Wayne McCoy
'Twisted Dark, Volume 1' by Neil Gibson is a series of 12 stories. They all deliver on the title, and many of them are interwoven. The writing was good, but I wasn't as crazy about some of the art.

The stories all have a sort of twist to them. There is one about someone contemplating suicide, or a man who invented a new window technology. There is a man in India working in appalling conditions that fights for a change. There is a family with a sick child. There is a man in the South American drug
Para Dox
Aug 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Let me tell you why I love the Twisted Dark Series:

For starters, the art is very impressive and unique on its own. It perfectly portrays the "twisted" and "dark" theme. I like going through each story and getting that sensation of shock and alarm because it's not like a happily ever after. You cannot always predict the ending and then when it hits you, you just want to see more.

What also like about the stories is that how they have the ability to continue and reference each other. I would read a
Marjolein
3.5 Stars

Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

A set of short 'twisted, dark' graphic stories which promised something I really like: hidden and not so hidden connections between them.

At first this seems a little weird, as the style and tone differs quite a lot between the stories and they deal with a lot of different themes (but always a little twisted turn to it). But then, when you start noticing the connections between the stories, it's a lot of fun. Of course, I liked
Luisa Göttler
May 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Twisted Dark is a mean one.

Not only will some of the ends leave you a tad devastated, but it won't let you put it down.
"Just one more story" you tell yourself - and then there you are, having read the whole thing in one go. And you want more. More twisted stories, more grinning evil maniacs, more of Neil Gibson's dark mind.

Twisted Dark consists of several short stories, though it's not the classic Sunday newspaper short story. While you can read them as a stand alone and it still works well, th
Alex
Jul 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Twisted Dark will leave you addicted and your impulse to read the next volume will kill you if you don't begin to read it that day!

I usually spend my time reading Doctor Who comics but I decided to make a change which I do not regret. Twisted Dark is a compilation of various stories which are serious page turners. Each story is unique and I felt myself actually feeling for the characters. "Routine" left the most impact as the illustrations provide alluring images that make you feel. Actually, I
Andreas
Jun 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
An average collection that suffered from the fact that the structure of the stories is too similar. I enjoyed the first 3 stories but then slowly became bored that there is always a twist at the end. This is what the collection is about so one can argue that it's ridiculous to criticize it. Anyway, one can tell a good story AND have a twisted punchline - story #2 is a good example.

The graphics were too uneven for me with very different styles. There is some great stuff from Atula Siriwardne, Ca
Phoebe
May 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So I promised Neil that I would rate this online and so here I am fulfilling my promise.
About a year ago I went to comicon and saw the books there. I bought the first book and holy mother of moo is it one of the best things I have ever read. For a while I had been wanting to get into comics and graphic novels but didn't know where to start. This was perfect. I now have the first three volumes and a mild obsession with it.
If you want stories with twists and turns and lots of connections these a
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Problem with combined book- Twisted Dark Vol 1 3 15 Feb 17, 2014 09:35AM
Goodreads Librari...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Combine book and change cover 15 39 Feb 12, 2014 10:39AM

• Wytches, Volume 1
  • Batman: Dark Victory
  • Sticky Fingers
  • Un-Trumping America: A Plan to Make America a Democracy Again
  • Six American Poets: An Anthology
  • DCeased
  • Learning Web Design: A Beginner's Guide to Html, Css, Javascript, and Web Graphics
  • Star Wars, Vol. 6: Out Among the Stars
  • Our Magnificent Bastard Tongue: The Untold History of English
  • The Walking Dead, Vol. 2: Miles Behind Us
  • Severed
  • Ministers of Grace: The Unauthorized Shakespearean Parody of Ghostbusters
  • The Walking Dead, Vol. 8: Made to Suffer
  • 300
  • Memories of the Future - Volume 1
  • Sin City, Vol. 4: That Yellow Bastard (Sin City, #4)
  • Batman: Last Knight on Earth (2019) #1

• Twisted Dark, Volume 4
  • Twisted Dark, Volume 5
  • Twisted Dark, Volume 6

News & Interviews

Rumaan Alam began writing Leave the World Behind with a series of tweets on a secret Twitter account he started two years ago.   The book that...