Start by marking “Mutated (Dead World #4)” as Want to Read:
Mutated (Dead World #4)

Mutated

(Dead World #4)

They Outnumber The Living. . .

25 to 1. Those are the odds of being struck down--and resurrected--by the savage plague that's sweeping the country, forcing survivors to band together against the dead.

They're Growing Stronger. . .

Even among the living, there is dissention. A new leader known as the Red Man has risen up and taken charge--and he's nearly as dangerous as the hu
Published September 4th 2012 by Pinnacle Books (first published January 1st 2012)

Paul E. Morph
Oct 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Set eight years after the conclusion of book two in this series (book three was a prequel), Mutated sees the zombification of the world taken to new heights (actually, ‘depths’ would probably be more accurate).

It has become clear over time that (view spoiler)
Hayat
Joe Mckinney's Dead World series are one of the best zombie apocalypse books out there and each book is even better than the last. I picked up the first book Dead City on a whim and almost quit reading due to lack of interesting characters coupled with a simplistic plot. It seemed to be similar to many other zombie horror books I've read but I decided to give the series a chance and I'm glad I did.

The second and third books in the Dead World series were even better. Each book had a new central
Krycek
Nov 18, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, dystopian
There are a lot of zombie books out these days. While I like zombies, sometimes I think this is too much of a good thing. We see a lot of uninspired, lackluster stories. That's what I found in Mutated. Don't get me wrong-- if you are jonesing for a zombie fix this'll get you by, but I doubt that it will leave you with any lasting impressions.

The prose was okay most of the time, but I think the editors were asleep at the wheel. I don't mind a couple of typos here and there-- and there were a coup
Tracy
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Best!
Just sorry I completed the series so fast.

Enjoy!
Jordan Anderson
Excuse the horribly bad pun here, but the zombie genre is dead, and as much as it pains me to write a (slightly) negative review on a Joe McKinney book, the truth, as they say, is in the details.

I was underwhelmed with McKinney's newest zombie novel. Actually, I was disappointed. Reading this one, you would never know he was the one and same author of the fantastic "Apocalypse of the Dead" and it's pseudo-sequel "Flesh Eaters". The characters in "Mutated" are the same, and there are some questio
Peter Giglio
Sep 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
MUTATED delivers pulse-pounding action with precision, intelligence, and most importantly, heart. McKinney proves once again that he understands the power of the zombie subgenre better than any other writer. Highly recommended.
Trike
Mar 07, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm just going to come out and say it: I think this book was ghostwritten.

It doesn't feel like McKinney's other books in any way. The language is repetitive and full of errors, the characters are one-dimensional, the intelligence level of Nate The Immune Guy veers wildly all over the place, from a stupor-like idiocy to eloquent rhapsodies, and the characters are incredibly difficult to injure or kill... until it comes to time to injure or kill them for no apparent reason.

The other option is tha
Nick
This is the last book in the Dead World series and brings the zombie story to an end. I enjoyed the first three books, Dead City, Apocalypse of the Dead and Flesh Eaters and was looking forward to reading the final chapter.

This book is set 8 years after the initial outbreak which is a long time for a zombie outbreak. This raises questions such as what would have happened to the zombies after this length of time? What about the survivors? Would there be anyone, including zombies, left? The book a
Amanda
Mar 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Man this book has some bad reviews. Glad I read it before reading them or I may have missed out. Character development was a little lacking (as has been stated) but this book spans VERY LITTLE time. What do you expect out of characters within a matter of days? There was plenty of growth between books in my opinion. Nate, Ben and Sylvia had definitely grown and changed since the second book. As well they should--8 years have passed since we left them behind at the grasslands.

I enjoyed this book
Chad Ervin
Jul 10, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was very disappointed in this book. I have loved the first three books in the series, and I understand that all authors have books that are not up to par with the rest of their work, but c'mon. The dialogue was stilted, there are gaping plot holes (I'm looking at you, magical iPad that still works in a world devoid of electricity), and the characters are insufferably resilient to the zombies until they fray your last nerve, at which point, mercifully, they die. I really think that this book wo ...more
Kathy Taylor
Book 4 of the Dead City series was quite slow in several places. There is action at times but not as much as we have seen previously.

One of the things I really wish authors would do is make notes of the descriptions of their characters, including injuries, when they have a series with multiple characters. The author forgot an injury described in a previous book. It was a knee injury. Somehow in this book he has an ankle injury. No. Just no.

Aside from the reduced action, there is the abrupt end
Henri Moreaux
Whilst not quite as good as the first two books in the series Mutated is still an entertaining read.

This time around the protagonists are on a mission to find a doctor who claims to have a way to treat the necrosis filovirus. An adventure across post apocalypse texas ensues.
Jason Bradley Thompson
The plot: it's been years since America was overrun with slow-ish, rotting (but technically living: in one scene a zombie is strangled to death) zombies. Now, in addition to the survivors' zombie problems, there's the "Red Man," a mutant... or perhaps mutant super-zombie?? Da da da dum! with human intelligence and the ability to psychically command the zombie hordes. Can the survivors evade the Red Man and his armies of zombies & human soldiers long enough to find a cure for the disease?

That
May 30, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Having read (& thoroughly enjoyed) the first three in this series, as well as short story The Crossing, I eagerly started this instalment. Sadly though I was let down from the start, I absolutely loved the first three but this fell flat for me. The story itself is ok I guess, but the descriptive technique completely different from the other books. I felt like it had been written by a different person. I just couldn't get into it. I think especially loosing Flesh Eaters which is superb, this ...more
Anja Braun
This book was a huge disappointment so much so that I really just wanted to stop reading it..The only thing that kept me reading it was I had begged my hubbie to get it for me..Unfortunately this was regretted by page 12..I give this book a 2 because quite frankly it was sloppily done..There are just too many typos and the same phrase over and over be the roving camera..It drove me crazy..I agree with the other reviewers How did he keep a Ipad charged really? This shall be my last book from this ...more
Megan
Sep 10, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had issues with this book like some of the other reviewers did. While the book itself was not bad there was something off about it. McKinney's writing style has changed dramatically. Some of the content was explicit which was surprising as his previous books were not graphic it was almost as if he did not write the book. The book was rather long compared to the previous books as well. Not his best work.
Robert Gamboa
Dec 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely a spin on what I was expecting, but it ties the series together well. As modern zombie enthusiasts are finding more and more experiences with advanced and mutated zombies, McKinney delivers a good conclusion. It breaks away from the traditional zombie lines and moves into a new world order.
Brian Clopper
Sep 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid continuation of the two previous books. Zombie action works and the river setting adds a fresh backdrop to the battles. Not so sure an electronic tablet would weather the zombie apocalypse. I found that to be a stretch.
Mike Foley
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: zombie
Ebony Irby
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: zombie, dystopian
His female voices sound like an old prospector.
Meran
Ben Richardson, the chronicler of this zombie plague, opens this novel, #4 (or 5?) in the Dead World series. Before 3 pgs have gone by we're given some concrete facts on zombie biology, handsome very decent writing. Ben is in North St. Louis, pretty much DEAD center of the US (LOL). This book picks up about 2 yrs [which is 8 years after initial outbreaks in Houston) after Book 2, referencing cult leader Jasper in Montana and Ed Moore.

New major leader of the zombies, called Red Man… top half of w
Joe Robles
Sep 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: zombie-fic
I had been waiting a long time for this book to come out. I was not disappointed. The last book ended on a kind of hopeful note (they had found a vaccine thanks to the guy who was immune). I say kind of in that the compound was overrun and tons of people were left dead. However, that was years ago, as this book starts. Things haven't gotten any better, in fact they seem to have gotten worse. The kid who holds the key to the zombie vaccine is near death himself and has no idea what to do with thu ...more
Alexis Winning
Oct 03, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: zombies
Mutated is the follow up to Dead City, which is one of my top favourite zombie books. The story continues to follow most of the survivors from Dead City, including the very important (i.e-immune) Nate, as they search for a Dr. Fisher. Dr. Fisher is also being pursued by the mysterious Red Man, a mutated super zombie who seems to have control over the undead minions.

Normally, I get very annoyed by such variances in traditional zombie story telling, but Joe Mckinney has not annoyed me yet (and I
Stephanie Lunsford
Dec 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any Zombie Lover
Recommended to Stephanie by: Joe McKinney McKinney
this is absolutely one of my most favorite Zombie books out there! the action, the emotional rollercoaster, the love you feel for each character, the new types of Zombies, there is so much about this book I love it's hard to name them all! you need to read Apocalypse of The Dead before you read this one to understand who certain characters are. The underlying meaning of this book is amazing... I can only hope you can understand what it is once you too have read this book. Joe makes you feel as i ...more
Shannon
Ashley Lucas
Having not read the first three books in this series it is hard to accurately rate Mutated for what it truly is. For all the zombie craze there is now, I feel the story was quite typical, even compared to some current TV shows out about the living dead with there being many similarities in some ways.
The main character Richardson is on a mission collecting zombie apocalypse survival stories. Throughout his travels fleeing cities, he meets others along the way, forming a crew that works together
Grw
Jun 12, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book had a hard act to follow as the preceding three books had built up both in story lines and the quality of the writing plus given it is the last of the series, it had to finish the plot.

Now, of course, it's the zombie apocalypse so there can't really be a complete ending as way too much has changed, but all the same I found what happens in the final parts of this book to be a little too quick, and, well, not much of an ending at all.

The plot of the rest of the book isn't bad, but just
Sue
Apr 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love, love, love this fast-paced thrill ride from Joe McKinney. This is the 4th installment of the Dead World Series about the Zombie Apocalypse and I have read them all. This book has great characters with larger than life personalities. I found that I got really invested in their story, where they came from, how they got where they are and most of all, I found myself cheering them on from the first page to the last. This one just makes me want to go back and read the other books in the series ...more
Charles Dee Mitchell
I never imagined that I would be reading zombie novels, but I have stayed with Joe McKinney for four installments of his Dead World series. The writing can be lazy, but McKinney moves his stories along at a rapid clip and creates engaging characters that are more than zombie chow. You can root for these people faced with this horrendous situation and become involved with their survival.

In this new novel we are eight years into the viral epidemic that has transformed about 95% of the population
Nick
Jan 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Same classic Joe McKinney ingredients used to create a wholly new flavor in the 'Dead World' series. Excellent addition and a can't miss book in the series. Same universe, completely different plot with a much broader array of antagonists and more hopeless situations than any previous entry into the series. Arguably the best on-going series in the genre and one of, perhaps, only a few series without a single blemish/disappointing book. I highly recommend this book and the rest in the series to a ...more
« previous 1 3 next »
Did this series end or will there be a 5th? 7 15 Feb 16, 2015 12:51AM
Got Nook????: Does any one a book (or books) by Joe McKinney to lend? 1 4 Aug 26, 2012 06:18PM
Looking for books by Joe McKinney 1 12 Aug 26, 2012 06:16PM

• The Killing Floor (The Infection, #2)
  • Aftermath (Autumn, #5)
  • Taking it Back (White Flag of the Dead, #2)
  • Domain of the Dead (Domain of the Dead #1)
  • Flu (Flu, #1)
  • As The World Dies: Untold Tales Volume 2
  • New Zed Order: Survive
  • After Life
  • Zombie CSU
  • Survivors (Morningstar Strain #3)
  • Breaking News: An Autozombiography
  • Failsafe (GAMELAND, #2)
  • Soldier on (Surviving the Zombie Apocalypse, #2)
Joe McKinney has been a patrol officer for the San Antonio Police Department, a homicide detective, a disaster mitigation specialist, a patrol commander, and a successful novelist. His books include the four part Dead World series, Quarantined and Dodging Bullets. His short fiction has been collected in The Red Empire and Other Stories and Dating in Dead World and Other Stories. For more informati ...more

Dead World (4 books)
  • Dead City (Dead World, #1)
  • Apocalypse of the Dead (Dead World, #2)
  • Flesh Eaters (Dead World, #3)