Start by marking “The Outside (The Hallowed Ones, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Outside (The Hallowed Ones, #2)

The Outside

(The Hallowed Ones #2)

One girl. One road. One chance to save what remains…

Published September 3rd 2013 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Outside, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Outside

Start your review of The Outside (The Hallowed Ones, #2)
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
What happened?

This book is the equivalent of meeting someone you knew, maybe a former crush, a few years down the road. You run into them at a Walmart. The charming, charismatic, svelte young man you once knew has now become a blearly-eyed, beer-bellied, bloated ghost of his former self, holding a 6-pack of Corona Light as he trudges lifelessly towards the checkout.

Seriously, what the fuck happened?

So rarely have I seen a series degenerate so much as to be unrecognizable from its previous bo
Wendy Darling
Fantastic sequel to a fantastic book. Be prepared for lots of action sequences, survivalist foraging, discussions about science vs religion and the nature of forgiveness, deep respect for those who have been lost, and thoroughly awesome and original ways to combat The Darkness.

And damned if there aren't (view spoiler) to boot! :D

Hurry up and write your next young adult novel, Ms. Bickle. I'll be waiting for it.
Bradley
Oct 09, 2015 rated it liked it
So, yeah, we were out of sparkly vampires at the store, but as we traveled through Pennsylvania we saw these really cute bonnets walking around, and WOULD YOU KNOW IT? They were all lit up inside and sparkly, so I thought to myself, what an interesting light display! So when I got closer, a few men with military grade hardware came out of nowhere and started threatening poor little me. I kept asking, "What is it, what is it?" And they just told me to mind my own business.

I grabbed a beer down th
Jamie
While I loved the first book (The Hallowed Ones) of the series, this one was a bit of a letdown. Still decent enough and well worth reading, but I felt that a lot of the excitement and thrill level of the first book was lacking here. It just wasn't as edgey. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed this in general.

We start off with Katie and company on the road, heading north. Somewhere between the two books they must have had some scary run-ins with the vampires since they are more knowledgeable abo
Ben Alderson
Oct 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
just read the whole book in two hours.. it was that good!
Brandi
Apr 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: favorites

More like a good 3 1/2 stars. I'm taking off a star because Khanh's review reminded me how much I was glossing over in trying to get this book to be as good as the first. My new rating is 2 1/2 stars.

I was completely blown away from the first book in this series, duology?, and it's not that I didn't really like this one, it's just not as amazing for me. It's weird because it felt slower even though there was more vampire action.

Veering slightly off course for a second, I should say that I
Leonor (Ner)
Dec 02, 2012 marked it as wishlist
Edit: 17/01/13
There's a cover!!!!!!!!

Oh, thanks the heavens for a second book!!!!
Katy
Jul 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of YA dystopia, the first book
Recommended to Katy by: Amazon Vine
Book Info: Genre: Post-apocalyptic/Dystopian
Reading Level: Young Adult
Recommended for: those who enjoyed the first book, those who enjoy dystopian books.
Book Available: September 3, 2013 in hardcover and Kindle editions
Trigger Warnings: Violence, killing, treachery, premarital sex

My Thoughts: I was really bothered by the cover on this book. The advantage to e-books (or one of them) is that I don't often notice covers, so when I have a physical book with a jarringly discontinuous cover, it makes
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Laura Bickle really has created something completely wonderful in her duology The Hallowed Ones. Not only it is different, creepy, suspenseful and downright hard to put down but it is also something almost unheard of in the paranormal genre right now let alone the YA paranormal genre. It has vamps.

I know what you are thinking, what is so special about that? Vamps big deal!

But these aren't your ordinary sparkly, fall in love with them vamps. These are the real creatures of the night. Disgusting,
Keertana
Nov 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
I've struggled a lot with this review, mainly because so much that I want to say about this novel is a spoiler. And yet, let me reassure fans of The Hallowed Ones first: The Outside is a remarkable follow-up to the creepy, vampire-infested Amish story we were given last year. Although Bickle has strayed away from the Amish community that was once her setting, the values of these people are still very much alive and present throughout the novel in the form of Katie, our protagonist. Moreover, whe ...more
Kristen
Aug 13, 2013 rated it it was ok
Stacia (the 2010 club)
Dec 20, 2012 marked it as to-read
GIMME! Love the new cover. Can not wait for this one.

Bring back my Amish being terrorized by scary vampires. I need more horror in my (book) life.
Alisha Marie
What the hell happened? No, seriously. I loved The Hallowed Ones. In fact, it was my favorite book of the month last month and it reached my all time favorites list. And yet, The Outside...just wasn't good. Everything that I loved about The Hallowed Ones was just...gone. Oh, how the mighty have fallen.

One of my favorite things about The Hallowed Ones was that while it was a book that heavily dealt with religion, the book itself wasn't overly religious. What I mean by that is that I didn't consta
Tammie
One girl. One road. One chance to save what remains…

After a plague of vampires is unleashed in the world, Katie is kicked out of her Amish community for her refusal to adhere to the new rules of survival. Now in exile, she enters an outside world of unspeakable violence with only her two “English” friends and a horse by her side. Together they seek answers and other survivors—but each sunset brings the threat of vampire attack, and each sunrise the threat of starvation.

The Outside was a very g
Damaris (GoodChoiceReading)
Jun 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Pretty Good!

The Outside is not as good as the first in the series, but still worth reading. I liked it a lot. Katie and Alex really grow in this one, and so does their chemistry. There is a lot more romance in this one than the first. My only issue was the whole science part of it, and the glowing skin. You have to read it to understand what I mean. I don't want to giveaway any spoilers. It just felt like it came out of no where and was just way tooooooo convenient. Maybe that's just me. *shrug
Justine
Oct 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-read
3.5 stars rounded up. I liked this one more than the first book, The Hallowed Ones, which I also gave 3.5 stars but rounded down. Way to work that flexible GR 5 star rating system!
Rachel the Book Harlot
Wow, what a disappointment. Full review to come...
Lauren Stoolfire
The Outside is pretty great post apocalyptic sequel. It was good to see all of these characters again, but this just didn't quite work for me on the whole as much as book one of this duology. What I liked most about book one was the isolation factor of Katie's Amish community, but that's not at all part of the forefront here.
Carien
Nov 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I will confess: I'm a total fan piggy when it comes to Laura Bickle. Her books are among my absolute favorites and The Hallowed Ones topped my Top Pearls list of 2012.

That being said: How can one not be totally in love with books as good as The Hallowed Ones, no matter who wrote it? So I can safely say The Outside was one of the most anticipated releases of 2013 for me. I've been counting the months ever since reading The Hallowed Ones for the first time.

And it was totally worth the wait!

The Out
Korey
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed both books in this series a lot. I picked them up because I thought the whole "Amish girl fights vampires" premise sounded cool and Bickle delivered. These books are full of dark, vivid imagery and atmosphere and the plots are briskly paced. If you're sick of weak sauce vampire stories these books are a necessary corrective because Bickle doesn't skimp on the destruction. Katie is a thoughtful protagonist whose unique perspective on life is fascinating to read.

(view spoiler)
Tiffany
Sep 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
I guess this was a two book series? Did anyone else think that the very end was wrapped up super quick?

Other than the end feeling abrupt, I really liked this series so much! Excellent writing, and you can tell that the author is well educated in theology. Again in this sequel, the whole story revolves around religions, and we discuss even more of them in this book. There's Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, Mormonism...the list just goes on and on. Of course this all set against a vampire apocalypse, bu
Abigail Yow
Jun 07, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: novels, kindle
Not as good as her first book. In fact, I would say that this book was quite disappointing. If you're expecting whatever the author had explored and developed in Book 1 in this sequel, well, don't be surprised if you don't find this as enjoyable.

Katie had a more rounded character in The Hallowed Ones. Her inner turmoil and emotions were palpable and nicely portrayed. But instead of delving further into her psych, the author decides to take a detour by bombarding us with Katie's newly acquired pi
Mandy
After being banished from the only home she’s ever known Katie is on the run from the vampires. Accompanied by Alex, Ginger, and the white horse the group head north hoping to find new and families that they haven’t heard from in weeks. They spend the days traveling in the sunlight by night they fight to stay alive staying on holy ground when they can find it. The group comes across a private wildlife preserve with several predators wasting away having been forgotten with the vampire epidemic.

Ka
Isamlq
Jan 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Most of this reads different with its combination of Amish girl in the outside world that’s been knocked down by some mysterious vampire making pathogen. But OUTSIDE’s whole thing is actually faith, yet not one bit of it had me feeling ‘preached at.’ It’s this that had me enjoying the story more. It’s dark, for sure, with them cast out as they were, struggling to find a safe place, and them encountering the odd, the miraculous, the maybe insane, and the obviously dangerous.

So I enjoyed this mai
Kathy Davie
Aug 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, apocalyptic
Second in The Hallowed Ones apocalyptic science fiction-horror series for Young Adult readers and revolving around Katie, a serious Amish girl, and Alex Greene, a college student.

My Take
Okay, so, The Outside was good, not as good as The Hallowed Ones , 1, but a good read with all the usual action when people have nowhere to go and are fleeing monsters. What's different in this tale of apocalyptic horror is Katie's reflections on religion. Her religion and everyone else's. It's an interesting
Heidi
Sep 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Five stars: An incredible sequel that shows one girl's journey of self discovery through the vampire decimated country.

Katie sees the promising tendrils of light fingering over the horizon. She offers a quick prayer of thanks that she and her friends survived another night. Since Katie was banished from the only home she has ever known, she has been wandering the country with Alex and Ginger trying to find some signs of civilization and hope after the devastating vampire decimation. Unfortunatel
Korynne
Nov 05, 2020 rated it it was ok
I rather enjoyed The Hallowed Ones, a mild horror story about vampires invading an Amish community during the end of the world, but unfortunately the sequel just wasn’t at the same caliber.

The Outside was entertaining from start to finish, but it was just too ridiculous and unrealistic for me to rate it anything higher than two stars. Katie turned into the dumbest protagonist I’ve ever seen, making decisions that no normal or sane person would make, and it felt like so much unnecessary drama wa
Tricia
May 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Bibliophile Babe (Amanda Nola)
5 stars first half, 2 stars second half.
Carina Olsen
Dec 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've been waiting over a year for this book to come out. I enjoyed the first one, The Hallowed Ones, so much and I knew I would enjoy this sequel too :) And I did. Sometimes more than the first. The Outside is an amazing sequel. While I had a few small issues with some things I'm still giving it a five star.

The Outside starts where The Hallowed Ones ended. With Katie and Alex and Ginger being banned from Katie's home. And oh, I felt for Katie. I really did. Because it must have been very heartbr

• The Weight of the Stars
  • Thick as Thieves
  • Contracted as His Cinderella Bride (Conveniently Wed!)
  • Steal Her Heart (Kaid Ranch Shifters, #1)
  • Horizon Zero Dawn - Free Comic Book Day Issue
  • Dangerous Alliance: An Austentacious Romance
  • Who I Was with Her
  • Cursed Mate (Shadow Guild: The Rebel #5)
  • North and South (Avatar: The Last Airbender, #3)
  • The Hunt (The Twisted Kingdoms #1)
  • Séance Tea Party
  • Encyclopedia of American Farm Implements and Antiques
  • The Duke Who Didn't (Wedgeford Trials, #1)
  • North and South (Avatar: The Last Airbender, #2)
  • Smoke and Iron (The Great Library, #4)
  • Hidden (The Texas Murder Files #1)
  • Loathe at First Sight
  • I Choose You
Laura Bickle grew up in rural Ohio, reading entirely too many comic books out loud to her favorite Wonder Woman doll. After graduating with an MA in Sociology – Criminology from Ohio State University and an MLIS in Library Science from the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, she patrolled the stacks at the public library and worked with data systems in criminal justice. She now dreams up stories ab ...more

The Hallowed Ones (2 books)
  • The Hallowed Ones (The Hallowed Ones, #1)