Start by marking “Amityville Horrible (Otherworld Stories, #10.8)” as Want to Read:
Amityville Horrible (Otherworld Stories, #10.8)

Amityville Horrible

(Otherworld Stories #10.8)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  1,606 ratings  ·  126 reviews
Jaime Vegas—spiritualist, entertainer and, unbeknownst to her audience, real-life necromancer—swore she’d never do another reality ghost show after the last fiasco. But when she’s railroaded into a charity gig, she finds herself back on the set, this time with a cast of photogenic college kids, an up-and-coming Russian spiritualist, and a tale of missing girls and murder i ...more
Published December 10th 2012 by Subterranean Press (first published November 30th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Amityville Horrible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Amityville Horrible

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Amityville Horrible (Otherworld Stories, #10.8)
Lainey
Dec 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is from Jaime's perspective, of course, but we're going to talk about Jeremy first. The reason for this being that the scenes between Jeremy and Jaime made this novella for me. Oh Jeremy, Jeremy. Wherefore art thou...and where can I get one of my own?

Jeremy, for me, is one of the most perfect examples of a romantic interest in an Urban Fantasy/ Paranormal romance series. I still have trouble defining Kelley Armstrong's series genre. He is an Alpha Werewolf who is assertive,
Mike
Feb 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was the second story from the Otherworld series I have read and enjoyed. I need to pick up Men of the Otherworld and read a few more stories before deciding to start one of the novels.
Jo
Dec 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Originally reviewed for and posted at Vampire Book Club

Rating (out of 5): 4.5 stars

I was more than a little sad when Thirteen, the final installment of Kelley Armstrong’s fantastic Women of the Otherworld series, was released this summer. With the promise at the end that it wasn’t the last we would see of these characters though, here we have Amityville Horrible a novella featuring Jamie, set sometime between Frostbitten and Waking the Witch.

When Jamie’s manager ropes her into to doing another reality TV show, th
Kevin Hogan
Jan 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Clearly and entertainingly written. I suspect that if you know the characters, this rises to 4 stars (or even higher).
Pam
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Novella that is quick & easy to read. Enjoyed it.
Christine
I have to say that Jamie is my favorite character in the series. Mostly, because she is the everywoman who just happens to be able to talk to ghosts. She is not stupid, though she think she is, but she is the most normal of the women in the series.

She also is a modern woman who is in a relationship with a man who gets that her career is important to her.

And they are older, not those young things.

True, the plot is a little predictable, but Armstrong does make use and have
Pam Nelson
Amityville Horrible – Jamie and Jeremy again <3 We think one thing and something else happens it was entertaining.
Sandy S
Dec 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
AMITYVILLE HORRIBLE (Otherworld Series) by Kelley Armstrong

About the book: “I don’t run from ghosts. ”His voice, right at my ear. “You will.”

Jaime Vegas—spiritualist, entertainer and, unbeknownst to her audience, real-life necromancer—swore she’d never do another reality ghost show after the last fiasco. But when she’s railroaded into a charity gig, she finds herself back on the set, this time with a cast of photogenic college kids, an up-and¬-coming Russian spiritualist,
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more

Poor Jamie.

After swearing off televised specials (b/c of the fiasco that the last one was in No Humans Involved), she gets roped into doing another one, but hopes to mitigate the potential fallout by including very specific demands in her contract.

Alas, she is thwarted . . .

SO. Apparently there are lots of WotO fans who hate Jamie. I'm not one of them. If you are, you might want to skip this one, but if you're on the fence . . . it might help you understand her a bit better. It
Carmel (Rabid Reads)
Aug 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
I spent a large chunk of this novella thinking "this story is only a shorter version of NO HUMANS INVOLVED just with different ghosts." And, I stayed on that thought train up until the final pages when Armstrong reveals that no— in fact, this story is not at all what it seems. The plot is delightfully creepy, and incorporates a decent amount of this series’ mythology to make it feel like it could have been a full length installment.

Jaime’s always gotten a bad rep in the WOTO series,
Mary Brebner
Jan 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Oh, I do love Jamie Vegas and her gorgeous alpha werewolf lover, Jeremy. As a spiritualist and entertainer, Jamie's had to hide the true depths of her gift (burning at the stake for witchcraft is no laughing matter, after all). But she gets dragged into a reality TV show and sent to Amityville. Oh, not to *that* haunted house. The one she winds up in is far worse with ghosts that can kill. Thank goodness her hot man is there to help her out (not that the girl can't take care of herself but it's ...more
Julie-anne
Dec 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love all things Kelley Armstrong related so I knew I would like this. It has the added bonus of having Jaime and Jeremy as the leads, both are established and well loved characters.
This is actually set a few books ago (Elena is still alpha elect) so I was kind of confused before this information clicked in my head.
I really do love reading Jeremy out with his alpha-hood, I hope there'll be more Jeremy stories from Kelley.
ambyr
Obtained a while ago as part of the Subterranean Humble Bundle.

This kept me flipping pages but was ultimately a disappointment. I found the mystery intriguing but the resolution rushed, and the romance (particularly the sex scenes) had me rolling my eyes.

Not my genre. Would not read other books in the series.
Melanie
Dec 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars.

This book is told from Jaime's POV. She is by no means my favorite narrator. Her stories always seem the same to me. Not bad, but nothing spectacular either. Good news, Jeremy is in this book.
Theresa
Feb 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Jaime Vegas gets tricked into doing a reality ghost charity show for a zombie-like medical condition.

A little slow to me. It’s similar to her other story: No Humans Involved, where she gets involved with a TV reality show, so maybe there wasn’t enough difference between the plots. Don’t get me wrong both stories are interesting and well written, but I knew what to expect as far as the rhythm of the plot was going so except for the details I wasn’t really pulled in. maybe that’s why t
Deathburst
It was cheesy and not original, but the writing is good enough for the suspense to work, the twist at the end wasn't obvious, and it was overall a pleasurable read.

It's part of a huge series of short-stories/novellas I'm not at all familiar with, but it's cliché enough to be read independently without being lost.
Mary Clare
Nov 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun short story/novella with Jamie Vegas, the most approachable of the Women of the Otherworld series. Jamie's self-deprecating sense of humor shines through in Amityville Horrible. Jamie's sense of humor is why she is my favorite characters in the Otherworld series.
Angelica Haney
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
It’s always enjoyable when Jeremy and Jamie are involved! This one felt a little rushed at the end but still a fun short story!
Angela Verdenius
Enjoyed this novella very much. The Otherworld series is in a class of its own, and this was another glimpse into the lives of the necromancer, Jaime. Hope there's more with her!
Marie Theriault
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very cute

Nice side story! It's always nice to get to know the characters a little bit more. I enjoyed it a lot.
Charlotte Tracey
Oct 30, 2017 rated it liked it
got this as part of a bundle download so I didn't realize it was part of a series, but it works well on its own. fun read and I look forward to checking out the rest of the series.
Shipofools999
Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Part of one of the anthologies. Good story.
Thomas Brand
May 11, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: horror
I will preface this review with the fact that I am aware that this story comes in the middle of a series and uses established characters. I am willing to admit that coming in this way may colour my opinion. However I also believe that any self contained story in a series should also stand alone.

I can't say I was impressed by this story. To be fair to the author, a large part of this is the fact that the moment she started describing the protagonist's amazing, gorgeous werewolf boyfriend I switc
Jess
Dec 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Review posted: Happily Ever After - Reads
Blog rating: C

Jaime gets forced into doing another reality special, being told it’s for charity, but really it’s just an excuse to stage a haunted house and feed into viewers using Jaime’s celebrity. When she checks into her hotel prior to taping, she sees three young ghosts, all women who are “reliving” their murders in the hotel at the hands of one man. The women are all wearing clothes that indicate that they’re from different eras and Jaime
Nicholas Miller
Dec 20, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: e-books
Jaime Vegas is a necromancer and spiritualist. She has done reality shows, but mostly live performances. She has become a sort of celebrity because of the last show she did. However, she is done with TV.

Jaime doesn't actually summon ghosts doing live shows because if she did then there would be too many asking for minor favors ("hey tell my husband to stop flirting with the neighbor"). Instead, she just has a certain incense burned doing the show so as not to be disturbed.

At the top of the sto
Nancy Meservier
Dec 11, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: paranormal, ebook, novella
Jamie Vegas is a necromancer who makes her living doing live shows as a spiritualist. She’s branched out to television in the past, with disastrous results. Jamie has pledged to never do reality TV again until her agent makes her an offer she can’t refuse. This leads her onto the set of a bogus haunted house. Jamie is shocked when she discovers real ghosts on the property, only they don’t act like any ghosts she’s encountered. With the help of her werewolf boyfriend, Jeremy Danvers, Jamie will n ...more
Meghan
Mar 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh Jamie. At least you didn't get kidnapped this time!

This was a nice little novella, which I hadn't even heard about until finding it on Goodreads! I read this after finishing Thirteen, the last (supposedly) in the Otherworld series, so I was quite happy to get back to the world that Ms Armstrong has built and even happier to have a story from Jamie's perspective. She was always one of my favorites in the series...

The story was pretty fun and centers around Jamie heading to a new reality show kinda so
Erin
Dec 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal
Amityville Horrible was a very fun read and fans of Kelley Armstrong will enjoy it. While it is a very short novella it has some mystery, it is both funny and spooky, and it offers glimpses into the Otherworld and some of our favorite characters from it. Like Kelley's other novellas this one is likely best enjoyed by fans of her books who know the back stories and relationships. New readers will simply not get as much out of this book.
My favorite part of Amityville--as with all of her book
Devices
To begin, I love Kelley Armstrong's Otherworld series. I've read all of the full length novels and several of the novellas. Jaime happens to be one of my favorite characters in the series. She's clever without being book smart, knowledgable in her field, and always quick to catch on even when in an unfamiliar situation. Add to that confidence, courage, and likable personality and it's hard not to like her. That's what makes this novella so disappointing.

The set up in the beginning deserved a mu
Dec 17, 2012 rated it really liked it

I love Kelley Armstrong and her Women Of The Otherworld series.

Amityville Horrible is an e-novella in the Women of the Otherworld series featuring Jaime. It is set after Frostbitten (book 10), but before Waking The Witch (book 11). I would not read it unless you've read the other Women Of The Otherworld books.

Since Thirteen I've been missing the series. So I was very happy to have another story to read featuring the characters from the Women Of The Otherworld series.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The End of the Sentence
  • Inside Job
  • Muse of Fire
  • Brayan's Gold (Demon Cycle, #1.5)
  • Reveal Me (Shatter Me #5.5)
  • Hotter Than Hell (The Hollows, #4.5)
  • Working Stiff (Runaway Billionaires #1)
  • Stiff Drink: Arthur Duet #1 (Runaway Billionaires #2)
  • The Final KO (Final Love, #1)
  • The Final Chase (Final Love, #2)
  • Find Me (Shatter Me, #4.5, #5.5)
  • Choosing Riley (Sarafin Warriors, #1)
  • Viper's Defiant Mate (Sarafin Warriors, #2)
  • Dagger's Hope (The Alliance, #3)
  • Twin Dragons (Dragon Lords of Valdier, #7)
  • Challenging Saber (The Alliance, #4)
  • Hunter's Claim (The Alliance, #1)
  • Misadventures with a Country Boy (Misadventures, #17)

Today, she continues to spin tales of ghosts and demons and werewolves, while saf

Otherworld Stories (5 books)
  • Men of the Otherworld (Otherworld Stories, #1)
  • Tales of the Otherworld (Otherworld Stories, #2)
  • Otherworld Nights (Otherworld Stories, #3)
  • Otherworld Secrets (Otherworld Stories, #4)
  • Otherworld Chills (Otherworld Stories, #5)