Start by marking “Great Ghost Stories” as Want to Read:
Great Ghost Stories

Joseph Lewis French

Great Ghost Stories

3.33  ·  Rating details ·  392 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
A collection of short ghost stories:

The House and the Brain by Lord Edward Bulwer-Lytton
The Four-Fifteen Express by Amelia B. Edwards
The Were-Wolf by H.B. Marryatt
T
ebook
Published October 24th 2012 by Project Gutenberg (first published 1918)

To ask other readers questions about Great Ghost Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Great Ghost Stories

Derek Davis
May 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
This 1918 collection is very much a child of its time, though it includes ancestors reaching back 100 years. It's most interesting as a study of what a "ghost" or generally supernatural story was thought to be at the tag-end of the era of spiritualism and rampant scientific optimism. As a signpost, the foreword was written by the secretary of the British Society for Psychical Research.

The stories in themselves are mostly a lot of fun to read, and you'll run across quite a few interesting authors
Tim Petersik
Jul 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
I'm guessing these stories all date from the mid-1800s to the early 1900s. If you can place yourself in the period and its way of thinking, they're not bad at all. Some are even creepy by today's standards. I downloaded it free from Amazon.
Gillian Kevern
I know better than to read ghost stories late at night. The thing is, during the day I have enough energy and self control that I don't read ghost stories, and this means that at night, I've used up all my self-denial, so I do read the ghost stories. And then this happens.
Jim Dooley
A nice collection of classic, supernatural short stories. The title is misleading because a number of the tales have nothing to do with ghosts, such as THE WERE-WOLF by H. B. Marryatt. I found them to be entertaining, nonetheless.

I'd only read one of the stories previously, THE HOUSE AND THE BRAIN which I recalled under a different title, THE HAUNTED AND THE HUNTERS. It opens the book and is definitely a chilling tale.

Being public domain stories, they do not feature the brisk pace that may be ex
Jacob Kadwell
Dated but a couple good stories.

Many of these stories... ok all of them are quite dated but some were ok reads. I did enjoy a couple of them.
Vivia
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Old-timey ghost stories for sure, I love the foreword by a respectable LL.D. People back then believed this stuff for realz. I wasn't scare even once. Not to say that I don't enjoy some of the style, but it was somewhat of a let down, I've read tons of ghost stories from the likes of M.R James that were much scarier. One of the highlights was ETA Hoffman, I love his manic style that paints a weird atmosphere for no real purpose other than being a big weirdo.
Jewell Moreno
Feb 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
All these stories were written in the late eighteen hundreds early nineteen hundreds. Book was originally published in 1918, and can only be found in Kindle now. Recognized some of the authors, such as M. R. James,,,but most were new to me. Wasn't only ghost stories, but also, were wolfs, vampires, and such. A well rounded collection of old fashioned horror. There wasn't a bad story in the group, and I have a special appreciation for older literature.
Elizabeth Kral
Jan 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great ghost/paranormal stories

All of the stories are worthwhile and different. I especially liked the last one, but that favoritism does not diminish my esteem for and enjoyment of the others. The language is antiquated but added to the charm of the narration of such absurd events.
Rebecca Kopyc
Feb 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved it!

A very good selection of stories. I highly recommend to everyone to buy this book. You shall definitely enjoy it.
faith Cazares
Dec 25, 2016
  • Ghost Stories: The Best of the Daily Telegraph's Ghost Story Competition
  • Mama's Boy and Other Dark Tales
  • 13 Ghosts: Strange But True Ghost Stories
  • Creepy: A Collection of Scary Stories (Creepy #1-3)
  • Complete Original Short Stories of Guy De Maupassant
  • The Damned Thing
  • Here Be Monsters: An Anthology of Monster Tales
  • Demons and Other Inconveniences
  • The Apocalypse Reader
  • Famous Modern Ghost Stories
  • Fairytale on Fifth Avenue (short stories)
  • Timeshares
  • Black Jack
  • Project Gutenberg Complete Works of Winston Churchill
  • Month of Judgment
  • Psychological Warfare (WWII Era Reprint)
  • The Haunting of Gad's Hall (Gad's Hall, #2)
  • Tales of Chinatown