Start by marking “Great Minds of the Eastern Intellectual Tradition” as Want to Read:
Great Minds of the Eastern Intellectual Tradition

Great Minds of the Eastern Intellectual Tradition

Western philosophy is a vast intellectual tradition, the product of thousands of years of revolutionary thought built up by a rich collection of brilliant minds. When most of us study philosophy, we're focusing only on the Western intellectual tradition brought about by people such as Aristotle, Descartes, and Nietzsche. But to understand the Western intellectual tradition ...more
Audio CD, 18 pages
Published 2011 by The Teaching Company

To ask other readers questions about Great Minds of the Eastern Intellectual Tradition, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Great Minds of the Eastern Intellectual Tradition

Start your review of Great Minds of the Eastern Intellectual Tradition
Gary  Beauregard Bottomley
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
After all the chores of the everyday are taken care of and you’ve had a sufficient amount of relaxation to suffice, what remains is the discovery of what and how you know what you know in order to further discover the world around you, what and how to do good, and lastly, what is deserving of your time. Eastern thought has wrestled with those discoveries and the professor lays out how they thought about regarding those discoveries. The professor does muddle it a little bit with confounding those ...more
Zeke Chase
May 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lecture
I’ve listened to a few of these Great Courses now, and I’m enjoying them more and more actually. They’re great introductions to vast and complex topics. This one deals with Eastern philosophy, predominantly centred around India, China and Japan, with the odd digression into Korea, Tibet or the Middle East.

These Great Courses are the entire syllabus of a given professor, presented as a series of lectures as though in the lecture hall itself. They’re between thirty and forty-five minutes a piece,
Jasper Burns
My 3-stars has less to do with the excellent quality of the content and more to do with the inevitable nature of The Great Courses' content focusing too broadly. Breadth, of course, was the purpose of studying the entire eastern intellectual tradition, but it is truly hard to remember useful facts from traditions that span such a large amount of time and area. I'm writing this review a week after finishing it, and while I have a better general understanding of the culture and development of ...more
Nilesh
Nov 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
There are important topics on which thousands of books are written and there are some on which barely a handful. This lecture series picks a topic of the latter kind.

The lectures start with the most important question: is there truly any eastern philosophy or philosophical tradition? While he answers assertively in an affirmative, the content of the rest of book is more equivocal. Buddhism provides a good connection to the highly differing philosophical bent of India and China. It can be said
Victor Negut
Excellent course. Presumably you can answer the following if you study the course well (I will have to circle back to the course)

1. What is the nature of reality according to

5. What is the potential for unity with
Ryane
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-favorites
I really recommend this. Especially if you are interested in who and what creates cultural norms.

Or a nosy bitch like myself.
Andrew
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great overview and excellent presentation by Dr. Hardy.
Brett Green
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: philosophy, history
highly recommended. fair, impartial, sweeping, and even manages a narrative. prof hardy's enthusiasm for the material holds it all together.
Antonio Villalpando
Sep 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Probably the best introduction to Eastern Thought in existence.
Carlos Xavier
Nov 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It's a lot of information but it was eye opening to learn the origin about the thought in the eastern world
Tyson Adams
Dec 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
"Study extensively, inquire carefully, ponder thoroughly, sift clearly, and practice earnestly." Zhu Xi

The Great Minds of the Eastern Intellectual Tradition is a 36 lecture course covering the influential philosophers and thinkers of India, China, Korea, and Japan. Much like the Western version of this series, the aim is to give a brief overview and insight into a range of people and intellectual schools stretching from the ancient times to the modern-day.

When I finished the Great Minds of the
Xavier
An absolute gem.

Professor Grant Hardy masterfully covers philosophy and religion from ancient India to the shores of Japan and everything in between. The course navigates through thousands of years of thought that weary travelers spread through the Silk Roads.

I have listened to other audiobooks that mention Eastern philosophy but this course was on another level. Each lecture is about 45 minutes long and Professor Hardy explains the intricacies of Buddhism, Daosim, and Legalism; he covers
Lance
Aug 27, 2018 rated it liked it
I struggled greatly with this course. It's natural that new thought and names would be hard, but the lectures themselves just seem less than ideally designed.

The speaker is ok, but it's not an orator. Smattered through are 'um' and 'like' that drive be to distraction. Pacing of his speech also makes it a little difficult to segment one idea from another.

I don't envy him there job of trying to organize the massive volume of material, and he does a fair job calling back to previous lectures. Ok
James
Mar 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
This lecture series throws a lot of material at you. I feel like most Great Courses lectures are fairly basic and give a general overview of the subject matter. And while that may still be true of this course, the subject is so broad and so many people, time periods, and intellectual traditions are covered that even a broad overview is a bit daunting. If you want the most out of this course then sit down with a pen and paper and be prepared to take some notes.
So a good course with a good
Biblioworm
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Очень люблю лекции от The great courses.
Они отбирают лучшее, гарантированно научное.

Конкретно эта, конечно же "галопом по европам" с одной стороны, а с другой, это колоссальный объем и море информации, которую непросто осознать, не то что запомнить.

Но безусловно интересно, чтобы иметь в голове общее представление хотя что там было на Востоке.
У многих из нас тут провал и полезен такой общий обзор.
AP
Jan 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
A very helpful, clear survey lecture series on the major religions, philosophers of the east, spanning from India to Japan. I plan to listen to this again since so much material was covered. I especially enjoyed the lecture on Mao Zedong and Sun Yat-Sen.
Martina Su
Sep 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
I learn a lot how the various Asian philosophies and religions are intertwined. It is quite long but I made a commitment to finish the lectures
L
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, history
Captivating and diverse, this was a joy to learn and Professor Hardy is fairly neutral and provides insightful perspectives. Something I'll enjoy over and over again.
Amit Shiwani
Jan 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very comprehensive ...covers a very large number of eastern thinkers
Ben Smitthimedhin
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Grant Hardy is super knowledgeable and respectful towards the Eastern intellectual tradition. His pronunciation of Chinese words is spot on, and his understanding of the cultural background of this topic is so vast that I wondered at times whether he was a Buddha incarnate or not.

Hardy divides the vastness of the Eastern intellectual tradition into three hotels: intellectuals from China, India, and Japan. He covers Lao Tzu, Confucius, Buddha, Sima Qian, Sei Shonagon, Tokugawa, Al Biruni, Gandhi,
Claire
Nov 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
FINALLY. This has been eating up so much mental space - the text this audiobook includes is not Professor Hardy's lecture, per se. It is the syllabus - this audiobook is his lecture series on the eastern intellectual traditions and the great thinkers behind them, as the title says.

I am glad to have taken it out, though, for I didn't know quite a lot of what he mentions - and there is still so much else out there to explore. It makes me excited to delve a little deeper into the catalog for next
Freeson
Apr 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great introduction to the different philosophies of Asia. Because Hardy structures his introduction into three major schools - or as he calls them "hotels" - India, China, and Japan, we can't really call his work comprehensive, but it is very informative. It was interesting to see how the traditions of each culture are different, and even more so, similar. With China borrowing from India, and Japan borrowing from China, but all adapting along the way. I was fascinated by how each culture has a ...more
John Mendez
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Mr. Hardy discusses a large number of Indian, Chinese, Korean, Japanese and Tibetan Philosophers and religions. Instead of focusing on the philosophies in question, this is a series of lectures about the men (and women) who influenced history. Starting in ancient history and going to nearly the modern day, this is an excellent first stop for someone looking to learn more about the world at large.

For the rest of the review, click here:
Xavier
Aug 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: prof-grant-hardy
(on the Ihora)
"Little children learn [the syllabrary through this alphabet]. And this what they're learning through this poem:

Though bright in hue,
The blossoms flutter down.
Who then, in this world of ours,
may continue forever?
Crossing today the utmost limits
of phenomenal existence,
I shall see no more fleeting dreams,
Nor be any longer intoxicated.

Okay. That's what you want your first graders to memorize, right? So buddhist. So japanese."
Nacho Bassino
Jun 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Muy interesante lectura. En algunos pasajes se vuelve un poco complicado seguir la gran cantidad de nombres y contenido que ofrece.
Sin duda para volver a leer en el futuro y refrescar los temas.
Xiao
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It surprisingly did a better job at explaining Buddhism (among other things) than the other Great Courses lecture https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...
Joshout
Feb 21, 2013 rated it liked it
A overwhelming lot of info
Jillian
Great Minds of the Eastern Intellectual Tradition is a book and the author is Grant Hardy.
Aung Soe

• How to Listen to and Understand Great Music
  • Great World Religions: Hinduism
  • The Fall and Rise of China
  • Exploring Metaphysics
Dr. Grant Hardy received a Ph.D. from Yale University in Chinese Language and Literature and a B.A. from Brigham Young University where he studied Ancient Greek.

He is Professor of History and Religious Studies at the University of North Carolina at Ashville. Below is a quote by Dr. Hardy taken from the "Faces of UNC" web page:

“I am interested in how people use literature to make sense of their