Start by marking “Metaskills: Five Talents for the Robotic Age” as Want to Read:
Metaskills: Five Talents for the Robotic Age

Metaskills: Five Talents for the Robotic Age

The Industrial Age has taught us how to break problems into parts, but not how to build parts into solutions. We're baffled when we're confronted with complex challenges like recession, political gridlock, climate change, childhood obesity, pollution, and failing schools. We see them as separate ills, each requiring a separate remedy-if we can imagine a remedy at all.

Why a
Published November 16th 2012 by New Riders

To ask other readers questions about Metaskills, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Metaskills

Arun Mahendrakar
Dec 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is the first book that I've read about Marty Neumeier and I must say I'm pretty impressed with the author. His approach to help readers reach their full potential seems unconventional and very promising.

The chapter on Seeing is very well written and to-the-point where the author tells us to see the system as a whole and not just the immediate issue in front of us. The chapter on Learning emphasizes on 'autodidacticism'. "Learning to learn is personal growth squared" - well said sir, well sa
Jaakko
Apr 20, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Knowledge-wise the author doesn't go very deep on any of the areas it discusses, and a lot of argumentation is anecdotal or based on quotes from some well or not-so-well known thinkers, which makes it sometimes painful to read (worth maybe 2 stars). However as a thought provoker the book fairs reasonably well and we had inspired discussion with a couple of colleagues based on the thoughts author proposes and hence the average rating.

If you're interested in the future of work and the role that w
Jack Oughton
Feb 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Every now and then you come across a book that sparks so many great ideas inside your head that you have to re read it at least twice. For me, this was one of those books. Many, many 'Eureka' moments here.

I can't believe that I hadn't heard of Marty until now but I'll be following the rest of his work like, I dunno... some kind of hawk that likes to read books. We all learn, and thus I recommend this book to all. Meta is better :3
Jamie
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Inspiring read. Some of it may seem a little redundant, but I think it was necessary. The multiple re-wordings & examples make it easy to comprehend the concepts Marty presents. So simple that it kind of makes you think, "no duh!" But in fact, it's not that obvious at all...not until after reading the ideas in the book. If you are looking for ways to grow in feeling, seeing, dreaming, making, and learning, then this is a good foundational book to read for inspiration and growth in all faucet ...more
Stephan
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Want to prepare for the future? Here you go.
Meagan
Nov 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2015
I would highly recommend this book to just about anyone. Marty Neumeier dissects the current educational systems and job market and explains what Metaskills will be necessary for success in the future. With the changes technology has brought to the world, a new system of thinking will be needed in order to succeed as a person and as an employee.

For those who consider themselves "non-creatives" this a a great way to gain insight into how the "creative mind" works. Many of these Metaskills are on
Tim
Sep 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: creativity
In Metaskills: Five Talents for the Robotic Age Neumeier makes the case for five essential skills that robots can't replace. Those skills are feeling, seeing, dreaming, making and learning. To be employed in today's day and age, you need an assortment of all of these skills.
Overall, I've been impressed with his work. Metaskills is the longest book of his to date, but the book has a great pace.

It will be interesting to revisit this book in 10-15 years and see if these meta-skills hold up. I
brian andrews
Mar 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Interesting read on the talents or skills required to stay ahead of the curve of work,
feeling, seeing, dreaming, making and learning.
I got this out through the local library, and kept it for several months, dipping in and out of chapters.
I enjoyed reading the book, made me sit and think about the skills I had and require, and those that cannot be replicated.
Jeff
Feb 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A must read...it's not really about the robotic age but more about how you can lead a more fulfilling life in the 21st century and beyond. Every part of the book resonated and it is a quick but effective read.
Melanie
May 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I recommend this book to everyone. The five chapters are the five Metaskils: Feeling, Seeing, Dreaming, Making, and Learning. I found all five to be inspirational. At Making, I found the content so practical that I had to start talking notes.
David
May 12, 2013 rated it liked it
I really sympathise with the intent of this book, and think that the skills he has singled out are among the most important. For me the chapters on Seeing and on Dreaming were the most useful. However, I only give three stars as there were few surprises and little that was new.
Dillon Ashcroft
Oct 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
One of those books I wish I had of read a while ago. Covers a lot of ground and enjoyable to read. A few points I disagree on, like the term the robotic age and some other little things, but often those things help to make sense of the work as a whole.
yamiyoghurt
Jun 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I would give this book 7 stars if I could. A really spot on book about the problems of our age and the skills we need to develop to navigate it. A really inspiring read.
Skalk
Sep 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
What a great Book. Make sure you get off the Robot Curve before its too late.
Petri Poikolainen
Apr 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Well written and very interesting topic in general.
Merlin Zuni
Jun 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic and inspirational.
Jeffrey
Feb 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Provocative. Marty is a maven. Prose style often gets abstract and theoretical. I can follow it, but his ideas would be served if he finessed the arts of Story and Image.
Lars
Apr 20, 2017
Mike
Apr 21, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Design, When Everybody Designs: An Introduction to Design for Social Innovation
  • The Mobile Frontier: A Guide for Designing Mobile Experiences
  • The Elements of Content Strategy
  • Designing Web Interfaces: Principles and Patterns for Rich Interactions
  • Designing Together: The Collaboration and Conflict Management Handbook for Creative Professionals
  • Design Is the Problem
  • Search Patterns: Design for Discovery
  • A Practical Guide to Information Architecture
  • A Web for Everyone: Designing Accessible User Experiences
  • Practical Empathy
  • Designing the User Interface: Strategies for Effective Human-Computer Interaction
  • The Shape of Design
  • Well-Designed: How to Use Empathy to Create Products People Love
  • This is Service Design Thinking: Basics – Tools – Cases
  • Subject To Change: Creating Great Products & Services for an Uncertain World
  • Gutenberg the Geek
  • Undercover User Experience Design: Learn How to Do Great UX Work with Tiny Budgets, No Time, and Limited Support
  • The Neo-Generalist: Where You Go Is Who You Are
“Great ideas are not polite. They never say they’re sorry. They don’t try to fit in. On the contrary, they force the world around them to make changes in self-defense.” 2 likes
“Miles Davis once said: “Do not fear mistakes—there are none.” 2 likes