Start by marking “Evie Undercover” as Want to Read:
Evie Undercover

Evie Undercover

When libel lawyer, Tom Hadleigh acquires a perfect holiday home - a 14th century house that needs restoring, there’s a slight problem. The house is located in the beautiful Umbria countryside and Tom can’t speak a word of Italian.

Enter Evie Shaw, masquerading as an agency temp but in reality the newest reporter for gossip magazine Pure Dirt. Unbeknown to Tom, Italian speak
Published September 14th 2012 by Choc Lit

To ask other readers questions about Evie Undercover, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Evie Undercover

Start your review of Evie Undercover
Clare O'Beara
If you are in the mood for chick-lit you might award this more stars; it's a readable travel tale about Italy and London, but I found the characters rather shallow.

A young woman who has schemed her way to work as a temporary assistant to a barrister is actually on assignment from a muck-raking magazine. She hopes to find proof that the man has been sleeping with a married client. To start with she pretends to be terrified of scorpions and begs her boss to sleep in the bed with her to repel them
Blodeuedd Finland
Evie, Evie, I do confess that what she wanted to do was so wrong. So bad. But, I understood.

Evie is working undercover to get the dirt on hot lawyer Tom. She really wants to be a journalist, really wants to. But she only got a job at this crap gossip rag. And if she does well there then maybe she can get a better job. I did get her drive. And she does think the guy she is investigating is dirty. So I get the lying, the games.

But...Tom is a good guy. He is nice, he is a good lawyer. He thinks Evi
Kim
Jun 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, kindle, net-galley
Tom, a libel lawyer, has bought a lovely house in Italy which he is having done up. He needs someone who speaks Italian to help him liase with the workmen. Evie is assigned to do the job by the gossip magazine that she works for. Their ulterior motive is for her to write an expose on Tom. She is desperate to break into the magazine world and thinks that she can do the job without anyone being upset- until she meets Tom and realises that she finds him to be a lovely person.

I loved the description
Kerry Lloyd
May 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Evie Shaw always dreamed of working for a top magazine, but having had no success with any of them, when she's offered a job at "Dirty Rag" Evie takes it believing she can do the task at hand and that it will open new doors. The name of the magazine says it all...

Evie is sent by her nasty, manipulating editor under cover, pretending to come from an agency and because she can speak fluent Italian she is sent to work for Tom Hadleigh....

Tom Hadleigh is a libel lawyer and needs an Italian interpret
Ann Cooper
Jan 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is such a fun book and a great summer read! The introduction to Evie and Tom is nothing short of hysterical! I loved the way Liz let's the characters develop at their own speed. Evie is so full on and Tom so much more reticent. As the story becomes more complicated I loved seeing how they reacted.
The setting was so beautiful and made for a perfect background to the love story.
If you like a good romance, beautiful scenery and a well written book, then this is the book for you!
Gen Boleyn
Jun 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Two women, one man- the eternal triangle., in this case set against the background of a sensual Umbrian countryside. Lawyer Tom, handsome but in truth a little staid meets cute Evie and falls head over heals, little knowing that she's an undercover reporter. There's fun, frolics and few tears in this fast paced rom/com that will have you flying through the pages at speed.
Talli Roland
Nov 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
What a fun, flirty read. I loved the Italian setting, and Evie and Tom's chemistry-filled banter. I rushed through the novel, eager to see what happens. Highly entertaining with characters who caper off the pages.
Jessica
How I wanted to love this book...it encompasses all the elements that would make it my perfect read. It has a lovable naive heroine and a gruff, somewhat, charming love interest--AND it is narrated by Penelope Rawlins, a wonderful narrator. Unfortunately, it fell short. Very short. Yes, Evie's initial plan was totally misguided but it offered great possibilities for humor. Instead, I found the story a bit annoying, shallow, and predictable. Its predictability was expected but I was hoping for a ...more
Jul 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Easy Read, Chick lit

This is a light easy read, ideal for the beach and you don’t have to concentrate too hard as the plot is slightly thin but enjoyable. It centres on Evie desperate to work for a magazine and can only find work with an awful dish the dirt time rag. The editor lost a libel case to a barrister and wants payback. He needs an Italian speaker to act as a secretary on the pretence to find some dirt on the barrister who has bought a place in Italy and needs an interpreter and Evie is
Amelyn Randall
Jul 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like Evie and Tom a LOT!

There is so much to like about this book. There are some giggles, at LEAST one tear for Evie's predicament, a great message, and no sex. What's so great about no sex in a romance novel? It's great because some people PREFER their romance novels like that, and they can give them to their daughters as an introduction to the books we love without filling their brains with sex details we don't want them to know yet. The raciest this book got is a couple steamy kisses
Erica Olsen
Dec 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I actually loves this book. It was so funny, quite an easy read and I really adored the story. All in all, perfect entertainment that had me through a lot of different emotions. So nice. I would definitely recommend it to anyone.
Marsha Keeper Bookshelf
First reviewed at Keeper Bookshelf

“Oh what a tangled web we weave…”

Evie has been hired to help Tom navigate the Italian language as he has restoration work done on his home. He cannot communicate with the workers on what exactly his wishes are for this house and Evie is there to make certain he gets what he wants for his home … only that’s a sorta kinda thing since Evie is working on an entirely different agenda.

Yes, Evie is fluent in Italian and she can do wonders to improve Tom’s situation. Bu
Suzie Groers
Jul 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Evie is a great character who wants to be a journalist. Unfortunately for her the only job she can get is with a gossip rag, Pure Dirt, and she is sent undercover to dig up some secrets on Tom, a libel barrister. The opening scene is great and definitely hooks the attention, but not something I'd recommend for anyone to try with their own boss. As the story goes on Evie needs to work hard to manipulate the situation to get information from Tom without him suspecting anything. Despite this Evie a ...more
Christina
Jun 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romantic-fiction
Romance, Italian countryside and a whole load of intrigue all adds up to a fun summer read.

Evie Shaw, journalist-to-be, finally gets a job, but it's at Pure Dirt, the lowest form of celebrity magazine. Her first assignment is dishing the dirt on top libel barrister Tom, who turns out to be too dishy for Evie to resist.

With evocative images of the Italian countryside, sparks between more than two of the characters, and the obvious sticking point of dishonesty, this is a light, lively and enjoyabl
Angela Britnell
Aug 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a light-hearted story set in the gorgeous Italian countryside. Tom, a handsome English lawyer, is restoring an old Italian house but can't speak Italian so he hires an agency temp to help. Evie doesn't mention the fact that she's a reporter for a sleazy gossip magazine and is there to do a story on him. If she doesn't succeed she'll lose her job, but if she does she could lose a very special man. Pour a glass of Prosecco and sit back and enjoy!
Rachel Blom
Jan 06, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: romances
Better than most self published books, but still not great. Setting in Italy was nice, but I hate the predictable plot line where a main character is undercover and not telling the other person in time. Too often done.
Lyn
Jun 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Fun read.
Book Gannet
Jun 19, 2015 added it
Shelves: dnf
DNF@36% - I didn't like either of the main characters and had no interest in reading more.
Shirley
May 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
A lovely, enjoyable read. A little predictable in places, but I didn't mind that.
Wendys
Feb 08, 2013 rated it liked it
An easy, light read. Got a kindle and downloaded this! I was disappointed in the ending - kind of what I expected but hoped for more! Does this make sense??? Lol
Juliemburgess
Dec 27, 2013 rated it it was ok
Fun and light hearted book. Enjoyed it but not a memorable book
Marlene Mc Ginley
Angel
Jan 16, 2016
Angel Hatfield
Dec 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Evie wants to be an investigative reporter but the any job she could get reporting anything right now was a gossip magazine called Pure Dirt. this magazines on stories on the dirt dug up about different people. Her job is to go undercover and try to get some dirt on a libel lawyer named Tom Hadleigh. There's a rumor he is having an affair with a married client. Tom has a perfect holiday home that needs restoring but he doesn't speak Italian. Tome needs Evie to speak with his workers so Tom can g ...more
Trina Hollis
Jan 10, 2017
Jill  Kirtley
May 08, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »

• Catching Fire: The Official Illustrated Movie Companion
  • Inside Divergent: The Initiate's World
  • Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets: Sheet Music for Flute with C.D
  • No Fair Lady (Heroes of Heart's Edge, #5)
  • Everyone Has A Story
  • The Whistler (The Whistler, #1)