Start by marking “Thank You for the Light” as Want to Read:

3.57  ·  Rating details ·  219 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
This newly discovered short story by one of the greatest writers of twentieth-century American literature, F. Scott Fitzgerald, will surprise and delight. Thank You for the Light is a masterfully crafted story—spare, strange, and wonderful, albeit a departure from Fitzgerald’s usual style.

A widowed, corset saleswoman, Mrs. Hanson, whose chief pleasure in life is cigarettes
Published November 13th 2012 by Scribner (first published November 6th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Thank You for the Light, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thank You for the Light

Duane
A short story written by Fitzgerald in 1936 and remained unpublished until 2012. His grandchildren found the story while going through his papers. It had been rejected by The New Yorker in 1936 and then forgotten. His family decided to offer it to them again, and of course they were happy to publish it 75 years later. It may not be Fitzgerald's best writing, but that's hardly the point here. It's just good to read something "new" by one of the great American writers of the 20th century.
Bettie☯
Blurb: The story was found among the author’s papers by Fitzgerald’s grandchildren and was passed along to the agent for the estate by the Fitzgerald scholar and editor James West. Fitzgerald had submitted it to The New Yorker in 1936, four years before his death, but it was rejected with the following note:

'We’re afraid that this Fitzgerald story is altogether out of the question. It seems to us so curious and so unlike the kind of thing we associate with him, and really too fantastic. We would
Brooke
Nov 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Fitzgerald makes me want to write. And sing. And cry. And be Zelda. This story was more of a vignette, but still a gorgeous one.
Aug 01, 2013 rated it did not like it
Recommended to Laura by: Bettie
Opening lines:
Mrs. Hanson was a pretty, somewhat faded woman of forty, who sold corsets and girdles, travelling out of Chicago. For many years her territory had swung around through Toledo, Lima, Springfield, Columbus, Indianapolis, and Fort Wayne, and her transfer to the Iowa-Kansas-Missouri district was a promotion, for her firm was more strongly entrenched west of the Ohio.

He wrote better stories than this one.
Meredith
Dec 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
This title is being described as a "departure" from Fitzgerald's previous works. I am not certain what is implied by that, so I cannot entirely dispute it. However, if you've read most of F. Scott Fitzgerald's short stories and his later novel, Tender is the Night, "Thank You for the Light" isn't a departure, but it is instead a succinct narrative in comparison to most of his works. Seemingly, it makes a few nods towards Hemingway's "A Clean, Well, Lighted Place" published in 1933 in Scribner's ...more
Tim
Ik heb nog nooit van F. Scott Fitzgerald gehoord, laat staan iets van hem gelezen. Maar ik kreeg vandaag zo'n flinterdun boekje mee, de vertaling van "Thank You For The Light", een zogezegd verloren gewaand verhaald, tot het teruggevonden werd in 2012.

Het gaat over een zakenvrouw, een handelsvertegenwoordigster, die verslaafd is aan sigaretten. Ikzelf ben tegen roken, ik heb er een gloeiende hekel aan, want te pas en te onpas kom je in contact met sigaretten: op het perron, buiten aan gebouwen,
JJ
May 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
I was super excited and intrigued when the news of this lost story hit the interwebs last Nov, and couldn't wait to read it. It's different than some of the other things I've read of his (then again he did write The Curious Case of Benjamin Button). My only gripe was that it wasn't a smidge longer. It is a very short story.
Brooke Tallent
Dec 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is so brilliantly different from his other works. Stripped away was the facade, leaving his genius literary soul. This seems so personal, possibly deriving from feelings associated from alcoholism, addiction or simply guilty pleasures.
Gary
Dec 15, 2014 rated it did not like it
A very short story that really seems pointless.
I have previously enjoyed books by F.Scott Fitzgerald and really enjoyed them so decided to read this during my break at work but I don't know why I bothered. A very short tale that I instantly forgot.
MomIsReading
Jan 12, 2015 rated it did not like it
Pointless short story. I read his grandchildren fought to have this published after his death as it was rejected by The New Yorker when he originally submitted. BTW don't pay for it. Google it and it's in The New Yorker you can read online.
Mike Jozic
Nov 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Loved this little gem of a vignette. What a treat to get new Fitzgerald no matter how brief the tale.
Nhu
Aug 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this vignette. Simple but poignant.
Gary
Dec 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
interesting they didn't publish this long ago,and f. scott was told it just wasn't his typical story..... I liked it. 99 cents on my NOOK!
Mallika Soni
Aug 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
great!
Anncar77
Feb 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
I just wanted it to be longer. I was getting to know Mrs. Hanson, and then it was over. :(
Erin Lynn
Nov 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
So... I decided to be frugal and look the short story up on the Internet.

It is one of those stories that just makes you say, "Damn. That was good."
Shawn Gue
Jan 10, 2014
Amanda
Aug 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Bohemian Girl: Stories (Harper Perennial Classic Stories)
  • Beastly Tales...or something of that nature
  • The Real Thing
  • Lost Boy: A Novella
  • The Fairies Return, or New Tales for Old
  • The New York Stories of Edith Wharton
  • Selected Poems
  • The World of the Short Story: A Twentieth Century Collection
  • The Magic Paint (Mini Modern Classics)
  • Alice, The Enigma - A Biography of Queen Victoria's Daughter
  • Sweetness
  • The Naughty Bits: The Steamiest and Most Scandalous Sex Scenes from the World's Great Books
  • Whatever Love Is (21st century Austen, #6)
  • Indoctrinaire
  • The Penguin Book Of American Short Stories
  • Mitzvah Girls: Bringing Up the Next Generation of Hasidic Jews in Brooklyn
  • The Good Wife's Guide: A Medieval Household Book
  • Multiples: 12 Stories in 18 Languages by 61 Authors
Francis Scott Key Fitzgerald was an American writer of novels and short stories, whose works have been seen as evocative of the Jazz Age, a term he himself allegedly coined. He is regarded as one of the greatest twentieth century writers. Fitzgerald was of the self-styled "Lost Generation," Americans born in the 1890s who came of age during World War I. He finished four novels, left a fifth unfini ...more
More about F. Scott Fitzgerald...