Start by marking “Park Life” as Want to Read:
Park Life

Park Life

When Susan moves to Birmingham in search of a fresh start she’s unprepared for the challenges she’ll have to face. Her new next-door neighbour Craig thinks he’s more than ready for life but has yet to learn that the best laid plans have a habit of going awry. They’re not friends. Yet. But many things can change during a walk through a park, or over tea and cake in a café.

S
Published August 20th 2012 by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (first published August 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Park Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Park Life

Jackie
Jan 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book, perhaps because I am so familiar with the areas’ of Birmingham, in which it is set.
I have been a regular visitor at Cannon Hill Park myself, since childhood, it’s one of my favourite places in Birmingham to walk and pass time; especially on warm sunny days. I have also been lucky enough to discover the private park in Moseley which the Author writes about and that IS, one of Birmingham’s best kept secrets.
Katherine’s book made me think how important green spaces are within
Ali
Dec 04, 2012 rated it liked it
I have been attending some local meet up events where local and even not so local writers come along and discuss their work with us. So far it is a fairly small group, but is growing and I have been enjoying it immensely. Recently local self-published author Katherine D’Souza came to tell us about her novel Park Life, the difficulty she had finding a publisher and her journey to becoming self-published. Katherine herself described her novel as “contemporary fiction” and being not dissimilar to M ...more
Heide Goody
Dec 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a warm and well-observed novel, made extra-special for anyone who knows Birmingham because of all the recognizable locations in the city. The two main characters are Susan and Craig, and we meet them both at a crisis point in their lives. Susan has decided to leave her husband and grown-up son to start a life where her opinion might count for something. Craig faces not one, but two bombshells that rock his world. I’m not about to tell you what they are, you’ll have to read the book.
The c
Jonathan Dennis
Dec 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Not my usual type of book at all but set in Birmingham like mine so I was keen to give it a go. Above all I found it engaging and very easy to read so much so I regularly stayed up later than planned reading it. I developed a genuine interest in the two main characters and while the depiction of the 25 year old Craig wasn't absolutely spot on the story unfolded convincingly through his eyes.
Enjoyable read and recommended.
penelopewanders
I wasn't sure where this had come from, but after checking I realized this had been added as a sort of RABCK to a bookbox I received via bookcrossing. It has lolled about on my TBR pile for a while and I pulled it out this week as I didn't have time to figure out what would be the next in line in one of the zillions of series I tend to read. So I came to it with absolutely no idea of what I was about to read.
I enjoyed it a lot - all the more so that friends have relatively recently moved to Birm
Simon Fairbanks
Dec 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Park Life is the charming debut novel by Katharine D'Souza about two neighbours living in Birmingham.

The first is Craig, a young man in his twenties who discovers that he has a two year-old son and also has to contend with his romantic feelings towards his new boss Amisha. The second lead character is Susan, a married woman who has walked out on her overbearing husband and spoilt child to begin a liberating new life on her own in Birmingham.

The novel is divided up into two first-person narrative
Rachel Gilbey
Mar 30, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars

Park Life was really two quite separate stories, which ran in parallel to each other, with only thing the characters having in common is that they are next-door neighbours.

Craig is in his mid twenties, and gets a bit of a shock when his ex girlfriend gets in touch. He also seems to be having issues at work, and is just trying to be the best person he can be. Susan has moved into central Birmingham having left her controlling husband, and her son who seems to treat her like a doormat. S
Catherine
Oct 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Couldn't put this book down! The characters are really alive on the page and their lives are intriguing. I love the localisation of the settings - everywhere seems very familiar. There was at least one moment where tears came to my eyes!
A.A. Abbott
Aug 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
NEAT AND SWEET

This story is a sheer delight - as sweet, light and airy as the cakes that heroine Susan bakes. I enjoyed reading it so much that normal life took a back seat as I turned over page after page. While it ended neatly, I could happily have continued reading it for days!
Louise Marshall
Mar 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Really easy read and had a good story to it
Rickie
Apr 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
A good easy read based in Birmingham, full of characters
Lanea bittaye
Feb 25, 2014
Judy Alder
is currently reading it
Feb 25, 2016
I've lived all my adult life in the south Birmingham suburbs although I grew up in a larger city further south. Given how long I've been here, it's perhaps unsurprising that my stories are set in Birmingham, but I hope the themes are universal. I write contemporary novels and the occasional short story, am a member of the PowWow Writers' Group and help organise the annual PowWow Litfest. In additi ...more