Start by marking “On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness (The Wingfeather Saga, #1)” as Want to Read:
On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness (The Wingfeather Saga, #1)

On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness

(The Wingfeather Saga #1)

Once, in a cottage above the cliffs on the Dark Sea of Darkness, there lived three children and their trusty dog Nugget. Janner Igiby, his brother Tink, their crippled sister Leeli are gifted children as all children are, loved well by a noble mother and ex-pirate grandfather. But they will need all their gifts and all that love to survive the evil pursuit of the venomous ...more
Published March 18th 2008 by Waterbrook Press

To ask other readers questions about On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness, please sign up.
Tessa I think it's somewhat like the Chronicles of Narnia, where there are parallels to the Bible and Biblical figures. I've been told that if you liked the…moreI think it's somewhat like the Chronicles of Narnia, where there are parallels to the Bible and Biblical figures. I've been told that if you liked the Chronicles of Narnia, then you'll love these (less)
Trish Some of the best books I've ever read. Not just because they are entertaining but because he is an extremely talented writer too.

Sara
Mar 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a war story. A compelling, intriguing, sometimes quirky but deeply moral war story. This is the kind of story that helps us believe that we could stand and be counted if called upon to do so. This is a story that feeds the imagination and stretches the soul and it is a beautiful testimony to the power of family. It is a very good story to have in our moral imaginations.

Getting into the early pages is more than a bit disorienting. Like Middle Earth, we have humans and other creatures coh
Neil R. Coulter
Feb 23, 2014 rated it did not like it
I just can't do it. I have read this aloud as bedtime stories to my three sons, and we got to page 66, and I can't go on. I really wanted to like this book, as it came highly recommended from a family member. I love discovering new children's fantasy series to add to our list of favorites, but as I plodded through On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness, I found myself dreading returning to it each night to read a few more short chapters.

A few things stand out as especially bothersome about thi
Allison Tebo
*Mini Review*

This book takes a lot of classic tropes and makes them irresistibly fun with a slightly wry, tongue-in-cheek attitude. The plot moves slowly, and the author spends a lot of time ambling through his world-building – but, please, amble away when it’s a world this imaginative! From the evil Fangs of Dang, to singing dragons, and very mysterious book shops – this world is full of delightful layers and details. And then we have the characters. The siblings; reluctant hero Janner, the awk
Lila Kims
I wasn't quite expecting to love this book as much as I did. On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness was just what I needed, I guess. XD

Can we talk about Janner for a second?? He's such a golden-hearted little adventurer. <3 And he's SO RELATABLE. As an older sister, I could totally relate to the responsibility he felt to take care of his younger siblings. I could see myself reflected in his protectiveness of them, in his hissed protests when Tink did something very, uh, brave. I related to h
JonathanT
Aug 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is a delightful, incredibly fun romp through a world filled to the brim with color and excitement. I LOVED EVERY MINUTE OF IT. When I first read this one, it was a three-star read. It can seem kinda simplistic. But now that I'm rereading it for the second time, I can see everything that's being built up for the next three books.

And... it's really not that simplistic. Sure, the story employs info-dumps (in the form of footnotes), the characters can be a little cliche, and the plot isn'
Jesseca Wheaton
Jan 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
A very enjoyable fantasy book. Looking forward to reading the rest in the series. :)
Redheadkate
Nov 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
It was the subtitle that got me On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness: Adventure. Peril. Lost Jewels. And the Fearsome Toothy Cows of Skree. While you might be scratching your head in confusion, I’m going, “yeah, tell me about those toothy cows”.

I listened to the audio version of the book. Oh, it was everything the title promised and more. I love Peterson’s impish humor, yet there is depth to the book. I longed to be in my car just to listen to the story. It made me want to drive to the end o
Hannah Walsh
Feb 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing

I was so surprised by this book! When I first picked it up, I wouldn't have guessed I'd be ending up giving it a five-star rating. This book is a real jewel.

Reasons Why This Book is Great:

1. It's a high fantasy set in an incredibly unique, quirky world.

2. It's full of fun, likable characters. They have crazy names, too, which is a bonus.

3. It's funny.

4. It's scary.

5. It's well-written and full of twists (some of which I predicted, but there were some that took me by surprise)

6. It's by a Chri
Lia Marcoux
Jan 06, 2015 rated it did not like it
I will not be finishing this book. However, I will also not be criticizing it, since my main takeaway was a feeling of deep, hopeless yearning to be Terry Pratchett, and I won't make fun of someone's dreams.
Loren
Apr 21, 2008 rated it liked it
From ISawLightningFall.blogspot.com

I always feel a bit apprehensive when a musician decides to try his (or her) hand at writing. It’s one thing to pen short snippets of lyrical verse. It’s another to hold a reader’s attention over several hundred pages. Fortunately, singer/songwriter Andrew Peterson’s On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness more than entertains, despite a few literary failings.

The Igiby family lives on the outskirts of the sleepy hamlet of Glipwood on the continent of Skree in t
JD Sutter
Jul 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
I found this a little difficult to get into at the beginning. The first handful of chapters move excruciatingly slow, but things do pick up around the quarter mark or so. The story world and its creatures are a little difficult to envision, but I soon decided to just overlook that and try to get into the characters.

The main characters of Janner, Tink, and Leeli are wonderful. I really did like them after the story finally got going and began to pique my interest. The other characters in the town
Carol Bakker
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I've been reading aloud to my grandkids since they were babies. I've never before known them to attach themselves to a book like they have to this one. I read them a few chapters one day a week. They remember details from where we left off every time. We finished today; they immediately asked me to start the second book in the Wingfeather Saga.

Humor is squirreled in the footnotes (what kids' book has footnotes?) and the creature's names (The Fangs of Dang). There is green blood and maggot loaf
Katie W
Jan 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book drew me in with the humor and creativity of names and phrases and situations. Some of it was the silly/eye-rolling kind but in a good way - I smiled and laughed through a huge portion of this book. I was also drawn in by the story and the characters.

I especially liked Peet and how he is crazy, interesting, mysterious, sad, but also good, kind, a protector/hero. I kept wanting to find out more about him. I like when things aren't always what they seem. One of my favorite parts was when
David Gregg
Imaginative settings and characters, exciting plot with compelling twists, strong morals — an excellent story!

I listened to the audiobook version by Oasis Audio. I found the narrator a little slow and lumbering, and there are some places that should have been re-recorded. I had a little difficulty staying engaged in the first part of the book because of this, but I think it is no fault of the author. Once the story picked up speed, I never gave another thought to the narrator. I became so absorb
Susie Finkbeiner
It took me a little while to really get into this book. I don't know if it was the genre or just that I was super busy. But, I'm glad I persevered. It was a fun book and I look forward to reading the other books in the series.

Good for upper-elementary kids, I'd think. Some violence and monster blood. Also a few sad moments. Could be a really fun one to read aloud.
Turi
Apr 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: advance-reader
One benefit of my new job in the Technical Services department of the library is that I get a look at a lot of the advance reader copies that come in. These are prepublished books that publishers send out to generate interest and hopefully sales. They are usually uncorrected proofs, so you have to swim through some typos, but usually they're pretty good. That's how I got a look at this book, On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness, which won't be out for another month or so.

Wow, I liked this boo
Katie
Mar 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
*No spoilers*
Andrew Peterson has already proven his prowess as a storyteller through his many music albums. On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness is yet another of Peterson's triumphs. The characters are instantly captivating--Janner, Tink, and Leeli Igiby are children who live in Skree, a land conquered by the evil land of Dang and ruled by the frightening lizard-like Fangs of Dang. The children embark on a complex adventure, looking for a hidden treasure while desperately hoping to protect
Rita
Feb 26, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: classics, fiction, fantasy
This was my third attempt at reading or listening to this book. The first time (a couple of years ago) I couldn't get past the first chapter - the writing style was so annoying to me. The second time (several months ago) I kept falling asleep while listening. My friends who had read the book encouraged me to keep reading, that it would get better. So I tried it one more time. In the beginning, I was no less annoyed and no more captivated, but I followed the advice of my friends and pressed throu ...more
Noah
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm going to really try to not oversell this book but wow! I'm a huge fan of the Narnia series and wrapping up the final book in our read aloud time with my 8, 6, and 5 year olds. I listened to this volume as a trial run for a potential next-up. I was skeptical but gave it a shot.

This book has everything I wanted for my kids: adventure- not too dark, but enough to be engaging, solid moral lessons- especially in the sibling-building category! I won't spoil anything but it's not as predictable as
Jane
Jul 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
This whole book was a pretty good read. The characters were real and I connected with them in all their struggles. I just loved the humour, and Peet the Sock Man was just killing me to find out who he was. The Fangs of Dang were nice and evil, and the 'nameless menace' (by name of Gnag) put a good evil shadow over everything. There were slight Christian references which I really liked, but it wasn't a major part of the plot. I'd recommend this for around 9-15 ish ages, but older people would pro ...more
nate
Feb 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
Delightful in every way! Peterson's first foray into fiction was even better than expected. Lots of laugh out loud moments, the footnotes were brilliant, the story was great and I can't wait to read the next installment of the Wingfeather Saga.

I've posted an extended review on my blog.

I'll be giving away a copy of the book on my blog between March 17-21. Swing on by to learn more.

Abby Ophus
Aug 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, children
I really enjoyed this story and I’m excited to start the next one. Adding to my long list of future read aloud books to share with my daughters.
J.C.
Every time I reread this book, it just gets better and better!!
Jenaye White
Jan 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
One of my favorite fiction books I've read in a long time. I'm excited to dive into the next book in the Wingfeather series.
Adam Shields
Mar 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Short review: I picked this up about 7 years ago not long after it initially came out. But I didn't read it. Last year I picked up the audiobook when it was on sale because it has been 6 years and I hadn't read it. I finally started the audiobook last week because I was trying to listen to stuff I already owned instead of buying something new. I didn't connect with the audiobook. The production quality was find. The reader was fine. I just didn't like it.

So I switched back to the kindle edition
Jessie
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
I loved this book. It had just the right combination of theme and witty delights, so often lacking in Christian fiction. Peterson's quirky style combined with solid plot development to keep all four members of my family entertained. I wouldn't recommend it for young children—especially sensitive little ones—but my middle-grade daughters were begging for the next book as soon as we finished listening to this one.
Jacob Stock
Jan 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Tremendous book for young people. The saga just keeps getting better as you read on.
Eva
Nov 06, 2017 rated it liked it
i give up. it's been weeks. i'm just not ever going to finish this. if i'd read it when i was still a kid i genuinely think i would've enjoyed it? but as it was it was just too...twee.

i'll stick to his music i guess.
Rebekah
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ahem. I will now go and begin reading Crime and Punishment like I was supposed to have been three days ago. But surely even that great work won't give as much pleasure as this!
Nika
Dec 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
I certainly enjoyed this book! I don't usually like young adult fantasy, but I had a good time with this one, which was highly recommended to me by my niece. Peterson's humor is on every page, especially in the lengthy footnotes. He uses words poetically, and I felt engaged the whole time, even apart from the compelling plot. It makes me want to try writing in this genre. I intend to read the whole Wingfeather series!
Drink & Discuss: September 2016: The Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness 7 6 Oct 05, 2016 10:46AM
  • The Secret of the Swamp King (The Wilderking Trilogy, #2)
  • Fiddler's Green (Fin's Revolution, #2)
  • Raven's Ladder (The Auralia Thread, #3)
  • The Rise and Fall of Mount Majestic
  • The Chestnut King (100 Cupboards, #3)
  • To Darkness Fled (Blood of Kings, #2)
  • The Sword in the Stars (Dark Sea Annals, #1)
  • The Hand That Bears the Sword (Trophy Chase Trilogy, #2)
  • The Black Star of Kingston (The Green Ember #0.5; Tales of Old Natalia #1)
  • Dragons of the Valley (Valley of the Dragons, #2)
Hey, folks. If you're just discovering me or any of my work, it can be a little confusing because there are several facets to it. If you don't have time to read the whole bio below, here's the rundown:

• I write songs. I also record them to these cool things called CDs and put on concerts around the country. (And beyond! To my great delight, I get to play in Europe every year or so.)

• I write books

The Wingfeather Saga (4 books)
  • North! or Be Eaten (The Wingfeather Saga, #2)
  • The Monster in the Hollows (The Wingfeather Saga, #3)
  • The Warden and the Wolf King (The Wingfeather Saga #4)
“Blood was shed that you three might breathe the good air of life, and if that means you have to miss out on a Zibzy game, then so be it. Part of being a man is putting others' needs before your own.” 31 likes
“There's just something about the way he sings. It makes me think of when it snows outside, and the fire is warm, and Podo is telling us a story while you're cooking, and there's no place I'd rather be--but for some reason I still feel... homesick.” 23 likes